• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive FTC Leak: Mid Gen Xbox Hardware, Series S/X Refreshes, New Controller, and Game Plans!

Ginzeen

Banned
Yep. This information got leaked just before:
  • Sony's PS5 "slim" and Pro launch so they can pivot and adjust their marketing if needed,
  • Before TGS, so Nintendo and other Japanese developers and media know that Microsoft is using a planted proxy to buy Nintendo shares and intends to buy Nintendo,
  • Before the CMA finalizes its decision on ABK, with them now knowing that Microsoft has been even planning to acquire Nintendo and Valve, so ABK is not about competing with Sony.
  • Before the CMA finalizes its decision on ABK, with them now knowing that Microsoft has been even planning to acquire Nintendo and Valve, so ABK is not about competing with Sony.

Yeah yeah yeah, remember when all those emails came out during the ftc trial, people like you made a big deal about them? Turns out it was a nothing burger. Just like this......

Gojiira

Banned
We shall see, and Valve?
Valve is a American company, fair game.
But the question would be would Valve want to sell knowing MS would change their entire system to their own mismanaged corporate garbage? Not likely.
And tbh that goes for a lot of other potential ‘acquisitions’, just because Xbox want them, doesnt mean they will get them or the talent.

Poltz

An all digital Series X vs a PS5 Pro at the same price seems an easy decision for most people no?

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Wait, so in an year's time every single party in this industry can pivot around this leak but Microsoft will for some reason stay put?
This is a leak of Microsoft data. It doesn't contain any information that Microsoft doesn't know. It's their information. lol

Microsoft already knows that Sony is planning to launch a PS5 "Slim" and a Pro. They talked about this during the FTC case. The Series X refresh is Microsoft's response to that.

SenkiDala

Quite disappointed...

Good point is Phil didn't lie, they are not making a Pro. But I think that releasing a full digital XSX is a dumb move, a Pro would be better... I mean when Sony releases a PS5 Pro (and it seems like it will happen) the Xbox will again look inferior.

Also the controller... It seems like a pitiful attempt to compete with the Dual Sense, and why not, but the Dual Sense is included in every console pack, this one isn't, or at least wasn't when I bought a 499€ console. Reminds me of the DualShock 3 arriving after the shitty SixAxis.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Yeah yeah yeah, remember when all those emails came out during the ftc trial, people like you made a big deal about them? Turns out it was a nothing burger. Just like this......
What nothing burger? The CMA has already rejected Microsoft's original deal. That's why Microsoft had to submit a new deal lol.

Fabieter

Haptic feedback is about to get popular among our green rat friends 🐀

Its probably was that team green starts to do Feedback wars that xbox is doing it better.

But it saddens me that modern MS is always like "we only do something if it works". Like no risk at all only bruteforce markets and copy. And the fact that spencer talked about buying nintendo in 2020 shows their complete lack of focus and competence to truly create something. I would rather have them leave the market than do what spencer is planning to and every sane person would do the same.

PaintTinJr

Yep, suddenly it will be a game changer 😂.
The "southbridge refresh" makes me think unified memory and SSD IO will be beating it in the soundbite department.

A new southbridge sounds a lot like the Velocity Architecture has been replaced with a copy of the IO complex - after they've had 3years to study PlayStation's solution - and because the terminology for southbridges is somewhat redundant, today because of APUs integrating northbridges and the two items being tightly coupled in design, and overlapping Direct Access to southbridge peripherals, a new Northbridge with a new APU memory controller - to unify memory access - has probably been a side-effect of the new southbridge too.

Krieger

"Digital only consoles"

I swear, everyone at Xbox's headquarters is fucking braindead. They are actively destroying their retail presence with this shit. Every electronics store has aisles for Playstation, Nintendo and Xbox games, but with this move there won't be any aisle for Xbox anymore.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
New controllers?

maxresdefault.jpg

.................but when are the new controllers releasing.
chapelle-dave.gif

Ginzeen

Banned
What nothing burger? The CMA has already rejected Microsoft's original deal. That's why Microsoft had to submit a new deal lol.
those emails didnt grant them their injunction lol. So yes nothing burger. In fact the injunction failing is the reason why the CMA was okay with doing a different deal.

If Microsoft does go all digital then I'm out. The hobby will immediately double or even triple in cost for me. I routinely trade in games to offset the cost of new titles. I pick up physical games on the cheap whilst the proponents of digital are still having to fork over full price. There is literally no benefit to digital-only other than convenience and that's not worth giving up actually owning something physical that can be returned, traded, sold and loaned.

Microsoft's talk of buying Valve or Nintendo is clown-world shit. They could hardly get a purchase of a publisher over the line, what chance do they have with their actual competitors even if they were willing.

Ginzeen

Banned
If Microsoft does go all digital then I'm out. The hobby will immediately double or even triple in cost for me. I routinely trade in games to offset the cost of new titles. I pick up physical games on the cheap whilst the proponents of digital are still having to fork over full price. There is literally no benefit to digital-only other than convenience and that's not worth giving up actually owning something physical that can be returned, traded, sold and loaned.

Microsoft's talk of buying Valve or Nintendo is clown-world shit. They could hardly get a purchase of a publisher over the line, what chance do they have with their actual competitors even if they were willing.
Dont be shocked when next gen consoles are digital only. Physical media is on its death bed.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The built in cloud direct is ready for tv's and the media player box they will releaae eventually. That said I don't think there's any reason to freak out, these documents confirm traditional consoles will continue as well.

supernova8

Banned
Dont be shocked when next gen consoles are digital only. Physical media is on its death bed.
That's not even a proper response.

If you have the option of:

1) Xbox Series X with a disc drive for $499
2) Xbox Series X without a disc drive for $499 (ignore the extra storage because you'll run out anyway considering the size of games these days)

Would you seriously buy the digital only version if they were the same price?

Stafford

So if the reports are true about PS5 Pro, Xbox is gonna lag behind when it comes to power. Not happy about that at all. If such plans were there, you'd think they would have been in these, right?

Ginzeen

Banned
That's not even a proper response.

If you have the option of:

1) Xbox Series X with a disc drive for $499
2) Xbox Series X without a disc drive for $499 (ignore the extra storage because you'll run out anyway considering the size of games these days)

Would you seriously buy the digital only version if they were the same price?
i think xbox would cut the series x price down when the refresh arrives. Also the op im responding too said he will leave xbox if it goes digital only. Then i said next gen consoles are likely to be digital only. So its a proper response.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
So all that shit about no mid gen was just a lie.
And they killed off physical

I think that was referring to a "pro" console, this isn't that.

Edit: I didn't realise this was on 6 pages already, I assume this has already been said. Sorry for saying it (I assume) again!

Last edited:

Poltz

So if the reports are true about PS5 Pro, Xbox is gonna lag behind when it comes to power. Not happy about that at all. If such plans were there, you'd think they would have been in these, right?
Yeah this is their plan for the whole gen.

supernova8

Banned
i think xbox would cut the series x price down when the refresh arrives. Also the op im responding too said he will leave xbox if it goes digital only. Then i said next gen consoles are likely to be digital only. So its a proper response.
Ah, right you are about proper response heh.

On the price cut... I dunno it seems like a bit of a risky move. I think the vast majority of people are not gonna give a shit about the little (arguably pretty boring) QoL upgrades (namely power draw) but they are going to immediately notice the lack of a disc drive.

Maybe I just the like the idea of what Sony is supposedly planning, ie the digital PS5 with an optional add-on blu ray drive, which lets people choose (arguably even better than offering separate disc and digital versions). Microsoft is absolutely not giving people more choice with this move.

Last edited:

Stafford

Yeah this is their plan for the whole gen.

So much for never losing on power and price again. Sounds like they just weren't aware of Sony’s plans. Assuming the rumors are true, we don't have anything official yet. All those UE5 games such as Witcher 4, the Witcher 1 remake are undoubtedly gonna benefit from a PS5 Pro, GTA 6 and so on.

As much as I want to stick with Xbox for multiplats too, it's likely going to be the Pro for me.

Xbox thinks it's a good idea to release a 1Tb Series S for $349 in 2023 when you can buy a PS5DE for $399 from 2020... I don't know why you're surprised they want to mess it up by releasing a digital Series X at the end of 2024 to compete with a PS5 PRO at the same price.

I seriously don't understand how Phil Spencer maintains his position with such brutal investments and such poor results. If Ryan, after spending more than 80,000, says that he is only going to sell 7 million consoles a year, the kick in the ass can still be heard. .

BigLee74

Well, certainly no reason whatsoever to upgrade if you already have the XSX.

Cmon Sony - Deliver a PS5 Pro at a reasonable price, and have it looking a bit classier than the current garish child’s toy, and I’m in.

Top Bottom