• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 34, 2011 (Aug 22 - Aug 28)

Erethian

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Is this pretty much the riskiest move Square could have done in this entire generation other than like making DQX 360 exclusive?

Not really? Unless it's pay to play, they're just expanding on some of the themes introduced in DQ9. And like any business I'm sure they got a marketing firm to gauge how those gameplay changes were received by consumers.

Coxy

Erethian said:
Not really? Unless it's pay to play, they're just expanding on some of the themes introduced in DQ9. And like any business I'm sure they got a marketing firm to gauge how those gameplay changes were received by consumers.

would this be the same marketing firm that told them FF14 was a-ok to go?

Erethian said:
I think it's going to be pay to play. Not that MH3 didn't sell a million being pay-to-play multiplayer... between subscriptions and retail they can still make a decent return. And they're future proofing with a WiiU release too.

I bet DQX still outsells FFXIII.

Takao

Banned
lunchwithyuzo said:
I bet DQX still outsells FFXIII.

Has a mainline Final Fantasy ever sold more than a mainline DQ in Japan since they became juggernauts? If not, then that's an incredibly safe bet. It would have to be a literal turd in a Wii case for it to sell worse than XIII, lol.

LOCK

Well DQ9 either changed peoples minds about DQ or added a lot of new fans to the series. So DQ10 should be alright in Japan.

Takao

Banned
LOCK said:
Well DQ9 either changed peoples minds about DQ or added a lot of new fans to the series. So DQ10 should be alright in Japan.

Well local multiplayer on handhelds is considerably more popular than online multiplayer on consoles (see MHP vs. MHTri).

donny2112 said:
FFX -> FFXI (combined) was something like a 65% drop in sales. Interesting to see what happens with DQX, in any case.
FFXI didn't have a true single player component. We'll have to see exactly how the details work out for DQX, but MH3 might make a better comparison (subscription multiplayer, free solo).

Erethian

Coxy said:
please do go on

SE releases DQ9, gets a market research firm to conduct focus groups, surveys, etc on how the new gameplay mechanics were received by consumers, uses that data to inform the development of DQ10.

Pretty standard operating for any game company.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just wondering, what is the best selling console MMO game in Japan?

If DQ is purely online (with subscription fees), then we could see it take a big hit on sales.

Takao

Banned
ULTROS! said:
Just wondering, what is the best selling console MMO game in Japan?

If DQ is purely online (with subscription fees), then we could see it take a big hit on sales.

Depends on what you mean by "MMO". If you mean straight MMO, FFXI no question. If you mean something like this game (which is Online/Solo) the most comparable would be White Knight Chronicles or something based on genre (MHTri if not based on genre).

LOCK

Takao said:
Well local multiplayer on handhelds is considerably more popular than online multiplayer on consoles (see MHP vs. MHTri).
True, but in no way shape or form should this sell as bad as FF11. We will finally get to see just how loyal DQ fans are compared to FF fans.

Truth101

Banned
LOCK said:
True, but in no way shape or form should this sell as bad as FF11. We will finally get to see just how loyal DQ fans are compared to FF fans.

FF11 never sold bad, if you consider subscriptions. Now FF14 is a different story.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Takao said:
Depends on what you mean by "MMO". If you mean straight MMO, FFXI no question. If you mean something like this game (which is Online/Solo) the most comparable would be White Knight Chronicles or something based on genre (MHTri if not based on genre).

I meant straight-up Online only. There were no hints that you can play DQX offline (currently being discussed in the other thread).

Okay, looks like it may be online (and thus subscription) based regardless going by the stage demo logging out to save? Hopefully not, but if so (and it's a pure MMORPG) then sales are going to be way lower. Like maybe-not-a-million lower.

Coxy

Erethian said:
SE releases DQ9, gets a market research firm to conduct focus groups, surveys, etc on how the new gameplay mechanics were received by consumers, uses that data to inform the development of DQ10.

Pretty standard operating for any game company.

so basicly I nailed it completely right first time.

SE releases FF11, gets a market research firm to conduct focus groups, surveys, etc on how the new gameplay mechanics were received by consumers, uses that data to inform the development of FF14

if it's standard operating procedure and it's foolproof what went wrong?

Erethian

Coxy said:
so basicly I nailed it completely right first time.

SE releases FF11, gets a market research firm to conduct focus groups, surveys, etc on how the new gameplay mechanics were received by consumers, uses that data to inform the development of FF14

if it's standard operating procedure and it's foolproof what went wrong?

That you implied a marketing firm told SE it was alright to release FF14.

would this be the same marketing firm that told them FF14 was a-ok to go?

I mean, that's how I read, "a-ok to go". Unless you worded it poorly. Whereas all I'm talking about is using a market research firm to get feedback from people who bought DQ9.

Not to mention FF14 was a monumental failure of delivery by the development team, not of marketing. Or market research, since they'd already proven that a FF MMORPG could work with FF11. So unless they're using the same project leads and developers to internally develop DQX, I'm not sure why the comparison.

And I suppose we could also get into the semantics of how DQX seems to eschew a full blown MMORPG approach (ala WoW or FF11) for something more like PSO or Guild Wars, but I'd rather wait until more detail is out there.

Road

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Is this pretty much the riskiest move Square could have done in this entire generation other than like making DQX 360 exclusive?
It could've been a GREE/cellphone game.

idlewild_

extralite said:
Quoting the DQX thread:

I don't think they will ask for money if you play it that way.

Depends how they implement it. If you're still required to be online, but you can just recruit AI members into your party instead of having to group up with others, then they would certainly require you to pay. It would be similar to someone who plays a current subscription-based MMO and only partakes in solo content. They still pay to use the service.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:

That depends on whether or not they decide to make the game fully playable offline or not.

If you can't play through a single player story offline like a traditional DQ game in DQX, then S-E are making a humongous gamble here (especially since the series thrives on how traditional it is)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
If DQX really is a full on MMO, what are realistic sales expectations? My gut tells me significantly lower, like < 1 million. Is that way off? I also get the feeling it may eventually sell better on Wii U.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
schuelma said:
If DQX really is a full on MMO, what are realistic sales expectations? My gut tells me significantly lower, like < 1 million. Is that way off? I also get the feeling it may eventually sell better on Wii U.
Yes. It's Dragon Quest, guys.

schuelma said:

If it is really online only, then I would expect a huge drop off in sales. Closer to FF11 than FF8.

Brazil said:
Yes. It's Dragon Quest, guys.

The same could've been said for Final Fantasy back when FF11 was released. Hell the effects are perhaps potentially even greater since DQ thrives on how traditional it is, while the FF series was no stranger to big changes in gameplay.

Plus Dragon Quest isn't the strongest 3rd party franchise in Japan any more (that title now belongs to Monster Hunter)

But still, I fully expect the game to be completely 100% playable offline in single player as well (just like DQ9)

donny2112

electroplankton said:
Probably DQX will be lower than any recent entry of the series, but still quite high, probably in the 2.5-3mln range.

I don't think there's any way we can know this until more information comes out about the game. If it's FFXI redux with a tacked on single-player mode, then under 2m and maybe even under 1m is a possibility. If it's DQIX with online subscription multi-player instead of local, then "regular" DQ sales may be attainable.

schuelma

From the other thread:

It says "When you start the game, the first few hours can be played offline. To play all of the game you will require an internet connection."

Spiegel

donny2112 said:
I don't think there's any way we can know this until more information comes out about the game. If it's FFXI redux with a tacked on single-player mode, then under 2m and maybe even under 1m is a possibility. If it's DQIX with online subscription multi-player instead of local, then "regular" DQ sales may be attainable.

FFXI redux seems more likely now

duckroll said:
It says "When you start the game, the first few hours can be played offline. To play all of the game you will require an internet connection."

Damn you, schuelma!

Where's your dog?

schuelma

Spiegel said:
Damn you, schuelma!

Where's your dog?

Gone since we lost avatars and I've been too lazy to get it back.

Will probably replace with baby pic..

Why are the Japanese still buying psps? Doesn't everyome have one already? The numbers are always gigantic! If this shit keeps up its going to be the ps2 of Next generation: unending sales forever!

donny2112

schuelma said:
From the other thread:

Ugh. Not good news. Still maybe it's just to download something the game needs (e.g. characters or something :( ), and then the rest is playable in a real single-player mode. Still, that doesn't make it look good. I guess if you aren't going to back off of a Wii DQ "mainline" game in the face of tanking sales, putting a throwaway DQ with a chance of creating a stable revenue stream isn't a bad choice to make from the corporate perspective.

Oxx

I guess they could sell the game itself fairly cheaply if they're desperate to get those subscription numbers up.

What were the relative prices for the PS2 Final Fantasies?

Just read Duckroll's translation. DQ X is dead in the water in terms of sales. It's going to be FF11 all over again.

Let's just hope that DQ 11 isn't too far off.

Spiegel

Nuclear Muffin said:
Just read Duckroll's translation. DQ X is dead in the water in terms of sales. It's going to be FF11 all over again.

I don't get why they are risking the franchise this much. If Enix plans to launch a MMORPG they should also be developing a traditional game alongside the online game, just like Squaresoft did with FFXI (FFIX, FFX, FFX-2) and FFXIV (FFXIII, FFVersus, FFXIII-2).

Maybe that's what they are doing and a DQVII full 3D remake will be presented on the 13th for 3DS. Or something.

Vinnk

So many guys my age are Dragon Quest fans here. I will have to see what the "word on the street" reaction is to all of this.

Spiegel said:
I don't get why they are risking the franchise this much. If Enix plans to launch a MMORPG they should also be developing a traditional game alongside the online game, just like Squaresoft did with FFXI (FFIX, FFX, FFX-2) and FFXIV (FFXIII, FFVersus, FFXIII-2).

Maybe that's what they are doing and a DQVII full 3D remake will be presented on the 13th for 3DS. Or something.

I don't see why they're numbering this game. It's as if they've learnt nothing from FF11.

Why not just call it DQ Online?

So much for the Wii U having a blockbuster 3rd party game right out of the gate, LOL!

...but I thought FFXI wasn't a failure.

I mean, in terms of unit sales relative to the single-player games, sure, but didn't the subscription fees prove extremely profitable? More so than several of those single-player games, actually?

That said, I still don't understand why there isn't a single-player mode. Maybe DQXI is being developed concurrently and will be released earlier than we expect (like 2013), I dunno.

Truth101

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
I don't see why they're numbering this game. It's as if they've learnt nothing from FF11.

Why not just call it DQ Online?

So much for the Wii U having a blockbuster 3rd party game right out of the gate, LOL!

Nuclear Muffin said:

I really do not see your point. FF11 is the most profitable FF. So, how could having another FF11 situation be bad?

If you wanted to have some sort of argument you should have said FF14.

Truth101 said:
I really do not see your point. FF11 is the most profitable FF. So, how could having another FF11 situation be bad?

If you wanted to have some sort of argument you should have said FF14.

I'm talking about unit sales, not profitability. FF11 didn't sell anywhere near as much as the other mainline series games (even though it made more profit for S-E)

This has the potential to do long term damage to the DQ brand (which is S-E's most important asset by far) and may hamper sales of future single player only DQ games (if they decide to make any more)

And if it isn't going to achieve a high number of unit sales, then it's useless for Nintendo since it won't be driving hardware sales as a result.

Truth101

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
I'm talking about unit sales, not profitability. FF11 didn't sell anywhere near as much as the other mainline series games (even though it made more profit for S-E)

This has the potential to do long term damage to the DQ brand (which is S-E's most important asset by far) and may hamper sales of future single player only DQ games (if they decide to make any more)

I don't believe the decline in the Final Fantasy series has anything to do with FF11 having a harmful affect on brand recognition. In fact we can see the brand has been declining before FF11 was even announced.

On the other hand DQ has been growing continuously over the years, as a franchise. Though, if SQ handles it wrong it might be harmful to the franchise, but that will not be because it is an Online-RPG.

Top Bottom