• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 8, 2016 (Feb 22 - Feb 28)

horuhe

So, after the Direct lots of things are being pre-ordered. Monster Hunter Generations Starter Pack, Etrian Odyssey V and Kirby were the shining stars of today.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I think the scan ban only makes it harder to talk about breaking news on up and coming Japanese games, but that's hardly the main problem. I've just noticed that there's less and less interest in general on the internet at large for more obscure Japanese games. Even if we're not talking about new games, hardly anyone wants to have discussions about old games or old developers other than the same old stuff people are already familiar with in popular media. We've tried to reignite interest in stuff like that a few times, but it's just hard because putting effort into drawing people's attention to cool stuff doesn't pay off when the threads get like 20 replies. :(

It's weird because there are other places on the internet where there's a ton of interest on retro gaming, just on here it's confined to a few threads. Anyways, I appreciate when people do make those threads highlighting older/obscure games, or Japanese-only games and such... I do think GAF is a bit better nowadays than those dark years of the late 2000's where every other thread was about how great western games were compared to Japanese...

Ryng_tolu

Banned
CcvGzrNWAAE4t94.jpg:large

Fdkn

Even so, the only thing those games have in common is that they're made by ubisoft so what's the point

let's not discuss about this here, use the PM.

there is nothing to be discussed, he's not in the position to decide what can be posted or not into this thread, if you are fine with that, do it.

as someone already said, when you find something not interesting just scroll down the page, it's also a good exercise for your fingers.

Kirby will do well, but Golden Week since 2011 is a weak week.

I find far more interesting summer holidays than Golden Week.

This is also true. 2013 had Tomodachi Life though? Perhaps it's also that other companies are giving up Golden Week.

Oh, we have Yokai Watch Sangokushi this year as well!

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
there is nothing to be discussed, he's not in the position to decide what can be posted or not into this thread, if you are fine with that, do it.

as someone already said, when you find something not interesting just scroll down the page, it's also a good exercise for your fingers.

No, but I'm in the position to decide if I find something interesting or not.

Since anyone can post whatever he wants I can post that this overanalyzing, famous at banned sites, doesn't offer anything.

L~A

When yokai watch 3 release?

Most definitely July 9th or something. There's been three Yo-kai Watch games around that day (Yo-kai Watch, Yo-kai Watch 2, Yo-kai Watch Busters).

Allows them to have a good month of sale, but also get the stock situation under control for the important summer holiday period.

We may know next month (around April 15th, with new issue of CoroCoro magazine). That's when the release date for Yo-kai Watch 2 was announced, iirc.

No, but I'm in the position to decide if I find something interesting or not.

Since anyone can post whatever he wants I can post that this overanalyzing, famous at banned sites, doesn't offer anything.

so if it's not interesting for you, just skip and read the following post
I also dont care at all at digital or mobile sales but i dont complain every now and then, cause I know there are people interested in it, in the same way there are people interested in COMG charts; if it doesn't offer any chance to discussion is a your own opinion, if something is really not interesting anyone wouldn't care

and anyway i prefer reading about mobile sales or rakuten daily charts instead of "the console X is amazing and publishers should all develop for it blablabla incredibile weekly sales still after Y years on the market blablabla console Z line-up will rule also this year", those are the topics which really don't add anything to any discussion

Bruno MB

This will probably be the prediction league for the entire year:

[3DS] Hardware
[PS4] Hardware
[WIU] Hardware
[PSV] Hardware

[3DS] Yo-kai Watch 3
[3DS] Pokémon Sun / Moon
[3DS] Monster Hunter Stories
[PS4] Final Fantasy XV
[PS4 + PS3] Persona 5

Any suggestions?

zeromcd73

In unsurprising news, Atlus confirmed on niconico that Etrian Odyssey 5 would probably be final Etrian Odyssey numbered title for 3DS.

NXOdysseySoon

This will probably be the prediction league for the entire year:

[3DS] Hardware
[PS4] Hardware
[WIU] Hardware
[PSV] Hardware

[3DS] Yo-kai Watch 3
[3DS] Pokémon Sun / Moon
[3DS] Monster Hunter Stories
[PS4] Final Fantasy XV
[PS4 + PS3] Persona 5

Any suggestions?

Isn't DQXI still slated for 2016? Of course predictions will depend on how SQEX will plan the release.

hiska-kun

I think it depends on FFXV (the release date will be revealed the end of this month). If it releases, let's say in September, DQXI could be a Chistmas title. But if FFXV releases in December, I doubt Square Enix will launch both titles on the same trimester.

Busaiku

We can now get the first actual oranges to oranges comparisons between Pokémon and Yōkai Watch this year.

zeromcd73

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/8237336.html

This was a recruitment add for Ocra (PS4 version developer) a few weeks before Dragon Quest XI was officially announced and was obviously for DQXI. The job description says that character modeling job they were recruiting for finishes 2016 end of year, which would make DQXI a holiday title (I guess?) assuming development hasn't had any difficulties or changes since July last year.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
so if it's not interesting for you, just skip and read the following post
I also dont care at all at digital or mobile sales but i dont complain every now and then, cause I know there are people interested in it, in the same way there are people interested in COMG charts; if it doesn't offer any chance to discussion is a your own opinion, if something is really not interesting anyone wouldn't care

and anyway i prefer reading about mobile sales or rakuten daily charts instead of "the console X is amazing and publishers should all develop for it blablabla incredibile weekly sales still after Y years on the market blablabla console Z line-up will rule also this year", those are the topics which really don't add anything to any discussion

I'm pretty sure you were the one to complain for YSO in the beginning.

duckroll

Lol, if they're expecting contract modelers to potentially work until the end of the year, then there's a strong possibility the game isn't coming out this year. :p

Nah, it's DQ. That's one thing they don't have to worry about.

Releasing first the 3DS version and later one the PS4 version can maximize sales, though. 3DS is still alive in 2016, and heavy hitters will help to keep the platform relevant and leader in the market (software-wise, 2016 is even better than 2015). Releasing DQXI around Christmas on 3DS might be a good move - waiting too much can damage its sales potential, since in 2017 the platform can see a huge drop-off (which doesnt' automatically imply lower sales of a sales juggernaut as DQXI, though).

On the other hand, PS4 doesn't have a big installed base right now. On top of sales cannibalization if the two versions are launched together (to the detriment of PS4), SQEX can wait until PS4 increases its installed base by a sizeable amount (and given 2016 software, it's a matter of "when", not "if" anymore) and find a good spot in 2017, before FFVIIr. In this way, SQEX can maximize sales potential on PS4, and also hoping for double-dippers, if the two versions are differentiated enough (they likely will).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'll be surprised if any version of DQ11 comes out before May 2017 given how they announced the anniversary year.

We're talking about a company that's still releasing games on 360 and PS3 to boot.

This week comment :

PS4
Kamen Rider debuted on PS4 but seems like not many people realized; AoT second week was very solid, totally the opposite for Street Fighter V…
Project Setsuna dropped by 80% from last week, very usual for the genre, while the God Eater Off Shot project saw the Vol.5 selling less than the previous one.

3DS
Mario & Sonic 2016 exactly on pair as 2012 edition (25k now 26k back then), SMTIVF dropped but at least tie-ratio is now below 80%, Megaman Legacy Collection did really well considering how many times Capcom has already sold those games ( :D ) and Monster Strike is finally ready to pass DQM:Terry no Wonderland.

PSV
5 new entries this week, Kamen Rider make a debut on Vita but it's far for being a success, then some adventure games as usual, Sprite makes its debut on handhelds with the PC port Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm and almost 10k can be considered good. As seen on other platforms, AoT had a good second week and Minecraft finally passed 600k and now aims to the longest seller title on Sony platforms (MHP2nd best reprint charted for 58 weeks).
Kan Colle Kai was the 7th best debut but unlikely it will even reach the top 20...

Wii U
Only 2 Wii U titles this week into the chart, Splatoon consolidates the top spot while Mario Tennis grabbed 2 positions and entered the top 20.

PS3
Kamen Rider Battrider War Genesis underperformed considering it sold less than half of the previous entry; TV Anime Idolm@aster Vol.9 debuts for the first time since vol.1 with a <10k result.
Attack on Titan is still in line with other platform results while Dragon Quest Builders is approaching to reach the 100k milestone.

Top Bottom