• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
But I want to show you all how I got the nickname “super spreader”
pre GIF

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I don't know if it's winter, but lately even after a good 8 hours of sleep, I've been waking up feeling like I've been drugged and that I could sleep another 5 hours.

And this is after basically almost a full year of feeling perfectly refreshed and satisfied after a good 6-7 hours. I have to set my alarm now or I'll way oversleep. I didn't have to do that until the last few weeks.

BigBooper

I don't know if it's winter, but lately even after a good 8 hours of sleep, I've been waking up feeling like I've been drugged and that I could sleep another 5 hours.

And this is after basically almost a full year of feeling perfectly refreshed and satisfied after a good 6-7 hours. I have to set my alarm now or I'll way oversleep. I didn't have to do that until the last few weeks.
Your body might have finally adjusted to not having 4 cylinder engines revving all night.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Anyone watching that Station Eleven? It’s so well made and gripping but goddamn, it’s bleak.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Rant:

New year's at the in-laws.

This fucking blows. Let's play BINGO. How many of these circumstances have you endured?

- Expected to enjoy TV shows you'd never want to watch/cannot understand for whole hours.
- Endure taunts about any exotic food that gets placed before you, shock and congratulations when you eat it without trouble.
- Constantly told that you're cold/uncomfortable even if you're not, offered various clothing items, shock and bemusement when you turn them down.
- A coin flip has apparently determined that the father in law will give you the stink eye all night.
- Then again the stink eye may be because you accepted an offered treat one too many times for their liking.
- Need to use the toilet, come back to a discussion about bodily functions and follow up questions about how your bowels are coping with all the exotic foods.
- an extended conversation in a foreign language ends with a "ne, honey?" coming from your wife and baited breath from all, awaiting your answer. "Pardon?"
- being presented with a bottle of coke zero, procured just for you, as if it's Indiana Jones' reward for getting this far.
- being directed to eat pretty much anything left on the table at the end of dinner by the father in law because "you're bigger than us".
- touching your wife in any way more intense than a tap on the shoulder elicits a confused shift of furniture because apparently you need more space to spread.
- showered with cakes and puddings... Warm chuckles about your storing nuts for winter
- look forward to tomorrow morning when a traditional/classy Japanese "osechi" spread of delicacies that cost $200usd will be laid out before you and you'll basically be expected to eat a bit of everything, from nasty cold beef balls to lobster infused mashed potato, in greater amounts than anyone else, to prove your creds, even though you did the same thing for the past many years.

- ache to play games instead

/Rant

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
Rant:

This fucking blows. Let's play BINGO. How many of these circumstances have you endured?

- Expected to enjoy TV shows you'd never want to watch/cannot understand for whole hours.
- Endure taunts about any exotic food that gets placed before you, shock and congratulations when you eat it without trouble.
- Constantly told that you're cold/uncomfortable even if you're not, offered various clothing items, shock and bemusement when you turn them down.
- A coin flip has apparently determined that the father in law will give you the stink eye all night.
- Then again the stink eye may be because you accepted an offered treat one too many times for their liking.
- Need to use the toilet, come back to a discussion about bodily functions and follow up questions about how your bowels are coping with all the exotic foods.
- an extended conversation in a foreign language ends with a "ne, honey?" coming from your wife and baited breath from all, awaiting your answer. "Pardon?"
- being presented with a bottle of coke zero, procured just for you, as if it's Indiana Jones' reward for getting this far.
- being directed to eat pretty much anything left on the table at the end of dinner by the father in law because "you're bigger than us".
- touching your wife in any way more intense than a tap on the shoulder elicits a confused shift of furniture because apparently you need more space to spread.
- showered with cakes and puddings... Warm chuckles about your storing nuts for winter
- look forward to tomorrow morning when a traditional/classy Japanese "osechi" spread of delicacies that cost $200usd will be laid out before you and you'll basically be expected to eat a bit of everything, from nasty cold beef balls to lobster infused mashed potato, in greater amounts than anyone else, to prove your creds, even though you did the same thing for the past many years.

/Rant

Sounds like you're missing those awesome Chinese new years right about now...

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I need to figure out why my notifications are so broken when using Chrome. I keep coming back and seeing notifications from like a week or two ago, heading in and liking posts and replies to mine, but it must feel weird to the recipients seeing me finally liking their posts. Like "cuz that thread died four days ago, why are you liking my reply now?".

Last edited:

*Nightwing

Rant:

/Rant
I searched for memes and gifs to properly express solidarity with your situation… none exist.

Can only say at least the day is almost over in Japan. Your struggle is almost at an end. In the meantime dream of a meme of a cute Japanese girl pouting while totally bukakked and the caption reads:”I only wanted to celebrate New Years with the in laws” to get you through these last couple of hours and happy new year.

BigBooper

Rant:

/Rant
I somewhat know the feeling. I always go to a family gathering on NYE and it's pretty much the worst holiday. Everyone forcing themselves to stay up with people that they don't really know all that well just to wait hours until midnight strikes and everyone springs for the door, saying goodbye as quickly as possible.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
-woke up early, snow blowed the driveway, so the wife could drive to the gym, and sidewalks 2 houses up each side just because I’m nice
-wife runs into my sister and brother in law at the gym
-wife makes plans with them
-FML

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Rant:

/Rant
This is the price you pay for taking weebism too far!

Seiously though, intercultural relationships are naturally going to require more work. You're in their territory so if anything is adapting, it's gotta be you. My advice would be to try to roll with it as best as you can. Learn Japanese better and have real conversations with them. The more they can meaningfully interact with you as equals, the more they will see you as part of their in group and not some exotic novelty attraction. Plus tell your wife your concerns and ask her to help you with this. 頑張れー!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom