• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta launches Instagram-linked Twitter replacement “Threads” tomorrow

Kamina

Golden Boy
EviLore EviLore there is going to come a time where more news and commentary breaks on Threads, will you approve it as a media source so it can be embedded?
Sure, yeah.
813083.jpg

Last edited:
Elon is supposedly telling his developers that it’s even more important to release greater amounts of quality features.

So much for doing more with less. He used to have scores of developers to tap into, and now he has too small a workforce to do anything.

Each feature threads releases will be a big blow to twitter.

Last edited:

"governments"

Turkey and India. This didn't happen before Musk got the platform, because this didn't happen before Musk got the platform. Not exactly ethical to write articles judging a new owner as worse for how they responded to a situation that didn't happen under the last owner, but then again there's a reason people don't trust the press anymore.

Elon is supposedly telling his developers that it’s even more important to release greater amounts of quality features.

So much for doing more with less. He used to have scores of developers to tap into, and now he has too small a workforce to do anything.

Each feature threads releases will be a big blow to twitter.

Elon is hopeless at this point. He deserves the failure that's coming his way. He's done everything to earn it. But people still deserve social media free of ideological and government censorship, and threads is certainly not going to be that.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
"governments"

Turkey and India. This didn't happen before Musk got the platform, because this didn't happen before Musk got the platform. Not exactly ethical to write articles judging a new owner as worse for how they responded to a situation that didn't happen under the last owner, but then again there's a reason people don't trust the press anymore.

Uh, it happened a lot prior to 2022.

Elon still has to deal with these issues, just like the previous bosses did.

Uh, it happened a lot prior to 2022.

Elon still has to deal with these issues, just like the previous bosses did.

If you're saying that in the past twitter took down content in Turkey or India and left it up everywhere else, while Musk is just taking it down everywhere, then I admit that's just another strike against Musk. If only now Turkey and India are demanding content be removed everywhere or they'll remove Twitter from their country, then what I said before still applies. Neither would surprise me.

Either way, I still think there are much better criticisms of Musk, and it's continues to be laughable and sad to see the US Press largely being more concerned with government censorship in India, while doing their best to dismiss, ignore, downplay, or even support government censorship in the US.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If you're saying that in the past twitter took down content in Turkey or India and left it up everywhere else, while Musk is just taking it down everywhere, then I admit that's just another strike against Musk. If only now Turkey and India are demanding content be removed everywhere or they'll remove Twitter from their country, then what I said before still applies. Neither would surprise me.

Either way, I still think there are much better criticisms of Musk, and it's continues to be laughable and sad to see the US Press largely being more concerned with government censorship in India, while doing their best to dismiss, ignore, downplay, or even support government censorship in the US.

I'm saying that it appears that Twitter had to deal with foreign government takedown requests both pre-Musk and post-Musk, and that it appears that post-Musk they are complying at a higher rate than before.

I'm saying that it appears that Twitter had to deal with foreign government takedown requests both pre-Musk and post-Musk, and that it appears that post-Musk they are complying at a higher rate than before.
But if the threat is "or we will not allow Twitter in our country" does that mean they're complying at a higher rate, or that requests are coming at a higher rate? If people reporting on this are factoring in the number of requests, and Musk still has an overall higher percentage, then what does that say about old twitter? It was the same logic failure when the media reported on the spike in racial slurs. You can't have an increase in something that wasn't there in the first place. And if the threat is "or we will not allow Twitter in our country" then why is the press acting like old twitter or new twitter could pick and choose what content they removed?

I get the feeling we're not getting a fair assessment of the whole situation here, otherwise why would old twitter have reluctantly censored ANYTHING for India?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
But if the threat is "or we will not allow Twitter in our country" does that mean they're complying at a higher rate, or that requests are coming at a higher rate? If people reporting on this are factoring in the number of requests, and Musk still has an overall higher percentage, then what does that say about old twitter? It was the same logic failure when the media reported on the spike in racial slurs. You can't have an increase in something that wasn't there in the first place. And if the threat is "or we will not allow Twitter in our country" then why is the press acting like old twitter or new twitter could pick and choose what content they removed?

I get the feeling we're not getting a fair assessment of the whole situation here, otherwise why would old twitter have reluctantly censored ANYTHING for India?

Twitter’s acquiescence to autocratic or non-liberal regimes is not an exaggeration by critics of the social network. The data, which the public audit receives automatically, speaks for itself. Since Musk’s takeover, the company has received 971 requests from governments (compared to only 338 in the six-month period from October 2021 to April 2022), fully acceding to 808 of them and partially acceding to 154. In the year prior to Musk taking control, Twitter agreed to 50% of such requests, in line with the compliance rate indicated in the company’s last transparency report (none have been published since October 2022). Following the change of ownership, that figure has risen to 83%, according to the analysis of the data by the technology information portal Rest of World.

Nature of the threats were the same.

India and Turkey both rank in the top five countries that requested Twitter remove content in the first half of 2020, along with Japan, Russia and South Korea, according to the company's latest transparency report. The Indian government sent nearly 2,800 removal requests in that period, more than twice as many as it sent in all of 2019. Twitter says it complied with 14% of those requests.

"Basically, if the government of India sends Twitter a notice that says this is defamatory content, or this is inciteful speech, the platform is bound to take it down," she explains.

Platforms don't have much choice. India can jail their employees for up to seven years, levy fines — or shut them down altogether. Last year, India banned the Chinese video app TikTok, amid a border dispute with Beijing. India was TikTok's biggest market.

“We’ve taken a month to watch Twitter’s reaction on the issue of removing prohibited information. Appropriate decisions will be made depending on the social network administration’s actions,” the state-run TASS news agency quoted Subbotin as saying.

“If Twitter doesn’t comply with Roskomnadzor and Russian legislation’s requirements, then we will consider the issue of completely blocking the service in Russia,” he warned.

In 2012, when Twitter announced in a blog post that it was launching a system that would allow the company to take down content on a country-by-country basis—as opposed to taking it down across the entire Twitter network—EFF defended that decision as the least terrible option. After all, when a company refuses to comply with an official government request, the government's response is often to block an entire platform.

MrMephistoX

EviLore EviLore there is going to come a time where more news and commentary breaks on Threads, will you approve it as a media source so it can be embedded?
Been saying this since it launched but a major news event is going to be the real test for Threads: I hate all the bullshit on Twitter but it’s incredibly valuable for breaking news just like CNN is when they aren’t too preoccupied with copying MSNBC and have to actually do real journalism in the field reporting events LIVE.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
This is true. The only people sticking around are those large accounts Elon just bribed with thousands of dollars to stay.

gHz3XJo.jpg

Nester99

This is true. The only people sticking around are those large accounts Elon just bribed with thousands of dollars to stay.

gHz3XJo.jpg

Your agenda is showing.....

I am on Twitter and my engagement is focused on a Niche hobby (knida like this one for video games) engagement and activity is the same as its been for the last year.
I see a ton of tweets and ppl engage in mine at the same historic levels. - FYI i have Zero monetization and never plan to . its just hobby fun. - also don't follow any politics or brands besides the niche hobby community i enjoy.

MrMephistoX

I follow less than 200 accounts and I see a bunch of tweets in the last 15 minutes from all types of sources. Everything looks normal. 🤷‍♀️
Same the writing is on the wall possibly but Threads is absolute shit on breaking news at the moment all can easily be fixed but it doesn’t sound like news is a priority for Meta even if journalists actively dislike twitter and want to leave they’re still getting way more eyeballs on Twitter and no ad $ share. I’m not seeing stories like the Schumer UFO study announcement or much on SaG Striking on threads despite following basically the same journalists and news outlets I do on Twitter.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Lol. That has to be satire....... right?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

Shit. Ron has gone off the deep end. Completely lost his mind.

Top Bottom