• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta launches Instagram-linked Twitter replacement “Threads” tomorrow

MisterR

Legit baffled there's people here actively championing Mark Zuckerberg's new app just as a "fuck you" to Elon Musk.

Zuckerberg, probably the most heinous, most ruthless techbro sociopath out there. Proven time and time again not giving a single fuck about anyone or anything other than harvesting all your data and selling it to the highest bidder. The guy that owns three of the four largest Western social media apps, yet lacks even a shred of actual entrepreneurship. The man is not an intellectual, or a visionary. The list of "incidents" regarding privacy, moderation, information regulation are countless.

Tell me again how this is worth celebrating:

F0T5J7qaEAEuAEK

F0T5KWbaUAA9vRd
He’s not worth celebrating for sure, but at least he’s not a burgeoning White Supremicist

Sushi_Combo

Not a big fan that a threads account is directly linked to IG. Also not a big fan of the data scraping these apps do, especially the ones from Meta.
Both platforms are still shit.

Pejo

Not that I like Twitter or Elon or social media in general, but it seems like missing the forest for the trees by opening up your private data again for Zuck & co. I'd be more apt to give up social media than let those fucks see any more of my personal life, especially since this one ties in to your real identity and family/friends and shit.

Weird to see people championing Threads™ as some kind of savior or the "good guy" of terrible hot takes and hyperbole. They're all shit.

*edit*

Not a big fan that a threads account is directly linked to IG. Also not a big fan of the data scraping these apps do, especially the ones from Meta.
Both platforms are still shit.
Best Friends Bff GIF by reactionseditor

Last edited:
Exactly Pejo Pejo

A few years ago Facebook figured out somehow I was not using my real name. Just so we're clear, it was a very innocent name and not anything offensive. Anyhow, I got a notification that I had to take a picture of my ID and send it to Facebook and use my real name or my account was going to get closed. Like the idiot I was back a few years ago, I gave in and did it.

Fuck Facebook and fuck Zuck.

Elon is inept but hopefully he grows out of this stupid shit that he's doing. At least he's not the slime shit that Facebook is.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Again, I like Musk and I agree he's also screwing up Twitter.

But I'm in no hurry to run to Zuckerberg's shitty alternative and which hasn't even all the features Twitter has yet. Plus the guy is a fucking snake and worse than Musk in my opinion. He may not have as big of a mouth as Musk but he has a history of being a slime ball.

I like Musk too but I’ll go to where the news outlets go. It’s vapid as fuck right now on Threads but Zuck could just as easily flip a switch and suck up all the brands that have fled the platform due to Musk’s big mouth and LIVE beta testing of terrible ideas. I’m honestly much more down with Elon’s message of making a true public square but he needs to do a better job of making brands not feel like their content is going to get commented on by Nazis and for better or worse the perception is that Zuck is better at eliminating hate speech rather than just allowing it in the name of free speech.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I really just don't find the concept of Twitter interesting so am not really interested in Threads.

If it becomes the next defacto place for people to link to news / sports / gossip then neato, I'm sure I'll create an account so I don't get login screens but beyond that I just never felt the need to actually "post" on Twitter. I only have one because I used it to upload pics from my PS5 and barely use it for anything but following naked chicks.

Actually that kinda sucks if Threads replaces Twitter because Instagram is the prude police I'm sure Threads will be the same.

But maybe that will be Twitter's last stand.. the place for NSFW content.

With like 100 million people signing up in 3 days I'm sure there's a bit more going on there than some copied dril tweet lol

I like Musk too but I’ll go to where the news outlets go. It’s vapid as fuck right now on Threads but Zuck could just as easily flip a switch and suck up all the brands that have fled the platform due to Musk’s big mouth and LIVE beta testing of terrible ideas. I’m honestly much more down with Elon’s message of making a true public square but he needs to do a better job of making brands not feel like their content is going to get commented on by Nazis and for better or worse the perception is that Zuck is better at eliminating hate speech rather than just allowing it in the name of free speech.
Elon Musk is an idiot but Zuck is a snake in the grass. I really could care less where a bunch of shitty journalists will end up migrating to and there's other ways to get your news so I'll skip his platform. Besides, like I said above, I already had issue with Facebook with forcing me to use my real name and requiring me to show proof. When Elon Musk starts doing that is when I'll bail off of Twitter.

I kind of see Elon Musk as an analogous to George Lucas. He's got good ideas but he needs to be restrained by other people. If George Lucas wasn't as restrained as he was with even the original Star Wars trilogy, it would have turned out to be real shit. Elon Musk is a lot like that. He needs to be surrounded by people who give him better ideas and for him to actually listen to those ideas.

Last edited:

YCoCg

I just want to see them fight at this point, that's the only good thing that can come from this. It's hilarious and scary to see Elon acting as if he created Twitter too.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
We’ve reached the “post fake Zuck posts” stage of breakdown.

JFC

Zuck would take the win easy, he's been bulking up on human sustenance, just look.

bo2QW9x.gif

Jokes aside, by all accounts Zuck is a bit of a fitness freak and actually rolls. He’d destroy Elon in a fight. Yes, he sucks at pretending to be an earthling, but I’d put it all on him beating the shit out of Elon

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Let’s be honest Twitter died earlier last week than the launch of threads: limiting views of posts has to be single dumbest idea ever but allowing pay for verification when the competition is now just offering it for free again is also equally dumb. Momentum is on threads from what I’ve observed throughout the last few days.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Let’s be honest Twitter died earlier last week than the launch of threads: limiting views of posts has to be single dumbest idea ever but allowing pay for verification when the competition is now just offering it for free again is also equally dumb. Momentum is on threads from what I’ve observed throughout the last few days.
The whole reason threads launched this week was because of Elon killing Twitter with the rate limiting. It wasn’t meant to launch now. Devs have said that Zuck asked them if they could launch early after what happened last weekend.

As for the verification, Meta does both. They will verify important people for free or others can pay $15 a month for it. But they require an ID, which Twitter stupidly doesn’t.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I deactivated my facebook account when they fucking changed the privacy levels on my photo albums making them available for everyone to see. you could google me and find my wedding pics. I always uploaded stuff either for family or friends, never public, but it seems they changed the privacy ToS one day and made adjustments to every album without my consent.

This was in 2014 when they were going full Evil Empire sending out updated ToS notifications asking people to confirm their choices and I must not have read through one of them. Or maybe it was just done for everyone. Honestly, I have not missed facebook since.

DrFigs

I just don't understand why anyone would use this over twitter? Not even the lack of NSFW stuff - which is huge... Just how is it better? It's more intrusive, steals more of your data, and even more heavily moderated.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
I'm not gonna use it, but I like the idea of more competition to stop musk from making more and more dumb decisions.

I just don't understand why anyone would use this over twitter? Not even the lack of NSFW stuff - which is huge... Just how is it better? It's more intrusive, steals more of your data, and even more heavily moderated.
I mean, that could be the play. as twitter is becoming (more of) a wasteland of garbage.

positioning threads as a more curated version of twitter could be a good angle.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

I’m with you I don’t get it in it’s current iteration but the hate for Elon and rate limiting is real and in this business when you’re on the defensive and losing users it’s nearly impossible to get them back. The real test will be a breaking major news event though since the devs at Threads have said they are deprioritizing news.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I actually think that right now Threads is a pretty decent alternative. No adverts yet, all a bit random, but not filled with the bile and hatred on Twitter. It won’t last.
Which is why I find it strange that people are championing Threads.
it seems people so desperately want the cancel culture of Twitter to be inevitably resurrected in Threads.
And why? Because the big Evil Musk charges the rich for blue ticks and limits how much time you spend on it....

it seems people so desperately want the cancel culture of Twitter to be inevitably resurrected in Threads.
And why? Because the big Evil Musk charges the rich for blue ticks and limits how much time you spend on it....
He also made it so people can't even read the site anymore without signing up for an account, which must be costing them a fortune in ad views. I can't even use the site anymore because of that.

CGNoire

Threads on the other hand is full of vapid influencer shit from influencers I don’t even have an interest in or follow: IDK maybe I’ve just trained Twitter to know what I like which is mostly mainstream news outlets journalists politicians and some witty celebrities like John Cleese. Extremist stuff usually only pops into my feed if someone like AOC retweet’s it on the left or Tee Cruz retweets it on the right and then I mute it. Bonus I have never had to spend 20 minutes daily on Twitter muting what Zuck wants me to see:

tt6ob4u.jpg
Just like Facebook....whoopi..

CGNoire

Its so fucking weird seeing a forum that championed Musk buying twitter to stop all the selective censoring and dismantle the ideological bubble sustained there all of a sudden about face and cheer the sucess of an alternative that clear as day has the same endgame as before and will almost certainly put additonal safe guards in place to further prevent anyone from dislodging there grip on the "correct narative" again. What is wrong with you people?

Its so fucking weird seeing a forum that championed Musk buying twitter to stop all the selective censoring and dismantle the ideological bubble sustained there all of a sudden about face and cheer the sucess of an alternative that clear as day has the same endgame as before and will almost certainly put additonal safe guards in place to further prevent anyone from dislodging there grip on the "correct narative" again. What is wrong with you people?

I have been constant and my conscience is clear :messenger_relieved:

Last edited:

mxbison

Yes, Elon the free spech saviour.

Meanwhile Twitter is at an all-time high in censorship...

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

It turns out welcoming back hateful people and then embracing hatred on a platform turned regular, compassionate people off. Now they welcome a replacement.

Gee. What a surprise.

CGNoire

Yes, Elon the free spech saviour.

Meanwhile Twitter is at an all-time high in censorship...
Never said he was but twitter failing is also a good thing....in fact social media failing in general which is why its so weird to see others excited about threads possible success.

SJRB

Gold Member
You'd have to be living under a rock and never heard of Google to not know what he's referring to. Please.

I'm just asking for a source to back up that claim. If it's so easily available it should be no problem providing it, no?

what SJRB SJRB is asking for is not unreasonable, where there is a claim there is more of something it should, and could easily, be backed up by evidence because I would like to see that too

the issue for me isn't some notion that it's more censor-happy now, but it's that people bought into the whole free speech absolutism lie and that anything goes as long as permitted by (United States) law, which has turned out, as is typical for Musk, to be a load of smelly :messenger_poop:

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Your act is tired. We have all been on the internet before. "Give me a source for the fucking obvious". Hah. Anyways.

Really, this is your strategy to win an argument? You just post random claims and if someone asks to back up said claim you go "Isn't it obvious? do your own research dummy! Google, ever heard of it?" as if that absolves you from backing up your dumb statements in any way, shape or form.

Do you now know how basic discourse works?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It's almost as if this forum is comprised of many individuals who hold many different opinions and that the individuals who held the former opinion are probably not the same as the individuals who hold the latter.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm just asking for a source to back up that claim. If it's so easily available it should be no problem providing it, no?
Here you go

Since the billionaire's takeover in October last year, Twitter has approved 83 per cent more censorship requests from governments such as Turkey and India, El Pais reported.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
what SJRB SJRB is asking for is not unreasonable, where there is a claim there is more of something it should, and could easily, be backed up by evidence because I would like to see that too

the issue for me isn't some notion that it's more censor-happy now, but it's that people bought into the whole free speech absolutism lie and that anything goes as long as permitted by (United States) law, which has turned out, as is typical for Musk, to be a load of smelly :messenger_poop:

One shouldn't entertain those types. They're not interested in what is obviously true. What has been in the news day in and day out for months now.

A quick Google search or two provides the info they pretend to want. They know this. We know they know this. They know that we know they know this. There's no point in playing their childish game.

Edit: I'll add, all these types want to do is derail a conversation. Which he did.

Last edited:
One shouldn't entertain those types. They're not interested in what is obviously true. What has been in the news day in and day out for months now.

A quick Google search or two provides the info they pretend to want. They know this. We know they know this. They know that we know they know this. There's no point in playing their childish game.

fair enough, it wasn't obvious to me that it was being asked in bad faith...I guess I'm only in tune to that if I see repeated behaviours from the same poster and where it isn't obvious I'd give the benefit of the doubt until proven I shouldn't, which means having stuff ready to back my words up

Last edited:
Top Bottom