• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta launches Instagram-linked Twitter replacement “Threads” tomorrow

ManaByte

Gold Member
fair enough, it wasn't obvious to me that it was being asked in bad faith...I guess I'm only in tune to that if I see repeated behaviours from the same poster and where it isn't obvious I'd give the benefit of the doubt until proven I shouldn't, which means having stuff ready to back my words up
He’s also been doing things like banning people for posting links to Mastodon back when that was a thing. And just last week he censored Threads from trending.

CGNoire

It's almost as if this forum is comprised of many individuals who hold many different opinions and that the individuals who held the former opinion are probably not the same as the individuals who hold the latter.
Maybe Im wrong but it sure seemed the general consensus at the time.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Maybe Im wrong but it sure seemed the general consensus at the time.

Perception is finicky. It's also probably the case that people who liked the buyout were more likely to post about it. It's also likely that a non-zero amount of people changed their mind over the months given all that's occurred. Just in this thread alone, there are multiple posts that start off with the sentiment of: "I generally like Musk, but recently his handling of Twitter has been dumb".

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Its so fucking weird seeing a forum that championed Musk buying twitter to stop all the selective censoring and dismantle the ideological bubble sustained there all of a sudden about face and cheer the sucess of an alternative that clear as day has the same endgame as before and will almost certainly put additonal safe guards in place to further prevent anyone from dislodging there grip on the "correct narative" again. What is wrong with you people?
It’s been a hilarious shit show from the moment he made an offer way over the company’s value, tried to pull out, then was forced to buy it, and now is suing the lawyers who forced him to buy it. He’s doing exactly what he was accusing Twitter execs of doing in the past but worse when it comes to censorship. Every top reply is from some bot/troll that paid for the dumb check mark. He fired all his engineers and surprise, usability has gone to shit, and another company hired them….hey no fair!

Elon has become the embodiment of the Sideshow Bob stepping on rakes bit, and it’s hilarious. We’ll likely never have a better, public and real-time example of the Dunning-Kruger effect, or someone lighting billions of dollars on fire out of hubris.

Getting out the popcorn and having a good laugh at this situation is what makes GAF so fun.

Last edited:

CGNoire

It’s been a hilarious shit show from the moment he made an offer way over the company’s value, tried to pull out, then was forced to buy it, and now is suing the lawyers who forced him to buy it. He’s doing exactly what he was accusing Twitter execs of doing in the past but worse when it comes to censorship. Every top reply is from some bot/troll that paid for the dumb check mark. He fired all his engineers and surprise, usability has gone to shit, and another company hired them….hey no fair!

Elon has become the embodiment of the Sideshow Bob stepping on rakes bit, and it’s hilarious. We’ll likely never have a better, public and real-time example of the Dunning-Kruger effect, or someone lighting billions of dollars on fire out of hubris.

Getting out the popcorn and having a good laugh at this situation is what makes GAF so fun.
Fair but why celebrate yet another ideologicaly controlled social media site...or any social media site to begin with? Shits a net negative afterall.

I figure its only a matter of time before you all realize that Threads will become yet another shithole echo chamber that will most certainly be used to control the narrative during the upcoming election along with any other "problematic" view or narrative nessessary "For our own Good".

The best thing that could have happened to twitter would be its deletion without any other sites filling the void. While a completely unrealistic expectation that would at least be something we all should cheer.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
eA59pGk.jpg

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Fair but why celebrate yet another ideologicaly controlled social media site...or any social media site to begin with? Shits a net negative afterall.

I figure its only a matter of time before you all realize that Threads will become yet another shithole echo chamber that will most certainly be used to control the narrative during the upcoming election along with any other "problematic" view or narrative nessessary "For our own Good".

The best thing that could have happened to twitter would be its deletion without any other sites filling the void. While a completely unrealistic expectation that would at least be something we all should cheer.
Eh, Twitter's always been a useful tool for breaking news and such, as long as you curate your feed well with reputable sources. Yes, there could be Twitter mobs/lynchings/whatever but you can mostly just ignore that shit.

I'm less interested in moving to Threads (I haven't created an account...yet?) and more just laughing at how thoroughly owned Elon is getting at every turn. And that's not so much because I hate Elon or anything, but the fuck around and find out factor here is off the scales.

CGNoire

You wont find any of that nonsense at Elon "vote Republican" Musk's Twitter
that doesnt ring true sorry. If twitter is in fact actually majority conservative it would most likely have to do with the opposition leaving.....hmmm I wonder why they would do that?

that doesnt ring true sorry. If twitter is in fact actually majority conservative it would most likely have to do with the opposition leaving.....hmmm I wonder why they would do that?

"Doesn't ring true"...surely not the platform that kicked off DeSantis presidential campaign?

But who said anything about majority Conservative. Are you moving the goalposts already?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So Musks mom stopped the cage fight previously. What are the odds she stops this too. Or rather, what does it say if she doesn’t stop it.

Who knew social media would lead to such moral quandaries.

Because the new NPC orders dropped and Zuck has gone from being despised to worshiped overnight. Funny that.

It's caused the masks to come off and a lot of this thread is indiscernible from the typical resetera shithole thread.

Anyway, I'm personally hoping for twitter to explode into nothingness as well as this threads site too before it's able to get too cancerous.

DanteFox

Zuck is probably in a gigantic, brightly lit, windowless white room right now. Naked but painted like one of the Blue Men, performing a solo interpretive dance of his demolition of Twitter, sending that energy across the stars informing his host planet of his ongoing accomplishments.
Hahahaha

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Because the new NPC orders dropped and Zuck has gone from being despised to worshiped overnight. Funny that.

It's caused the masks to come off and a lot of this thread is indiscernible from the typical resetera shithole thread.

Anyway, I'm personally hoping for twitter to explode into nothingness as well as this threads site too before it's able to get too cancerous.
Season 5 Episode 6 GIF by Sony Pictures Television

MrMephistoX

When the choices are Musk (Twitter) the Chinese government (TikTok) and Zuck (Meta) it’s kind of a race to the bottom in terms of hero worshiping social media execs. They’re all equally shitty in their own way but I guess only one (TikTok) could truly be weaponized if Winnie the Pooh asked.

Last edited:

Toons

Its so fucking weird seeing a forum that championed Musk buying twitter to stop all the selective censoring and dismantle the ideological bubble sustained there all of a sudden about face and cheer the sucess of an alternative that clear as day has the same endgame as before and will almost certainly put additonal safe guards in place to further prevent anyone from dislodging there grip on the "correct narative" again. What is wrong with you people?

Most of the more rational and intelligent folks told you this was gonna happen eventually, or at least there was a high chance.

Elons overpromises spelled doom and/or nonsense from the beginning. He was never going to be able to sustain an ad based site while allowing anyone anywhere with any agenda to post any old thing. So that was a failed promise from the jump.

And if he DID hold to it, then guess what, normal people who don't wanna open up the internet snd get a ton of racist and/or culture war dogwhistles were gonna tire of the site too.

Elon managed to split the difference so that both of these things happened to dome extent. Meanwhile, while FB has been boomer central for a while, IG was and arguable is the most relevant Social media app. And the ZUCC is definitely an android but hes a far more competent businessperson than Musk has ever been.

Just his decision of dropping threads now was a stroke of marketing genius that made him what he is.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm reminded of the MLK quote: "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Even if you're fine with the actions the government has taken to influence the censorship of speech beyond what the law allows, because for now you happen to agree with what and who is being censored, I'd encourage you to remember that no group holds power forever.

But I'm not fine with the actions of the government in some of these cases, and the premise that I happen to agree with what and whom is being censored is also incorrect. The point is that the institutions that preserve free speech as a whole in American society are still intact, and that's mostly what I'm going to care about in making my determination of whether or not we are in a crisis of free speech.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
What's hilarious is that no one even did anything to Elon for people to complain about. He's done literally all of it himself.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
He also made it so people can't even read the site anymore without signing up for an account, which must be costing them a fortune in ad views. I can't even use the site anymore because of that.
I mean I don't really use it much and I've had an account since it launched but maybe that's just me and I don't see what the problem is with that except for not being able to read peoples tweets without an account, it's a inconvenience sure if you don't have an account.
Here you go

That's only because there was no approval system in place for censorship before...
You just got censored 🤣

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I mean I don't really use it much and I've had an account since it launched but maybe that's just me and I don't see what the problem is with that except for not being able to read peoples tweets without an account, it's a inconvenience sure if you don't have an account.

That's only because there was no approval system in place for censorship before...
You just got censored 🤣

Twitter’s acquiescence to autocratic or non-liberal regimes is not an exaggeration by critics of the social network. The data, which the public audit receives automatically, speaks for itself. Since Musk’s takeover, the company has received 971 requests from governments (compared to only 338 in the six-month period from October 2021 to April 2022), fully acceding to 808 of them and partially acceding to 154. In the year prior to Musk taking control, Twitter agreed to 50% of such requests, in line with the compliance rate indicated in the company’s last transparency report (none have been published since October 2022). Following the change of ownership, that figure has risen to 83%, according to the analysis of the data by the technology information portal Rest of World.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Jesus those pop ups are annoying, I gave up reading the article 😳
Here, this goes into more detail of Elon's "censorship"
I can kinda understand the ElonJet one, in fact some I wouldn't even call it censorship but whatever..
for sake of argument, let's just say Elon isn't innocent of it.
It seem with Social Media you have to pick your poison.
I think it's just best to stay away from all of it.

CGNoire

What's hilarious is that no one even did anything to Elon for people to complain about. He's done literally all of it himself.
True. Im not defending him. I just hate social media with an intense passion and find it troubling seeing people support and fawn over a new one.

CGNoire

Most of the more rational and intelligent folks told you this was gonna happen eventually, or at least there was a high chance.

Elons overpromises spelled doom and/or nonsense from the beginning. He was never going to be able to sustain an ad based site while allowing anyone anywhere with any agenda to post any old thing. So that was a failed promise from the jump.

And if he DID hold to it, then guess what, normal people who don't wanna open up the internet snd get a ton of racist and/or culture war dogwhistles were gonna tire of the site too.

Elon managed to split the difference so that both of these things happened to dome extent. Meanwhile, while FB has been boomer central for a while, IG was and arguable is the most relevant Social media app. And the ZUCC is definitely an android but hes a far more competent businessperson than Musk has ever been.

Just his decision of dropping threads now was a stroke of marketing genius that made him what he is.
Told me what? You all make it sound like im some elon stan trying to defend him. Im not. Im someone who sees how destructive social media is to our societies. Especially short form social media like twitter. My concern is that while dogging on elon is one thing full on celebrating the success of threads rubs me the wrong way. We should be hoping it fails just as spectaculary.

Toons

Told me what? You all make it sound like im some elon stan trying to defend him. Im not. Im someone who sees how destructive social media is to our societies. Especially short form social media like twitter. My concern is that while dogging on elon is one thing full on celebrating the success of threads rubs me the wrong way. We should be hoping it fails just as spectaculary.

Sorry that was intended as more of a general "you" than came across.

But Twitter and threads being gone would only mean theres another instant messaging social media.

This format simply isn't going away. It's just not, it is here to stay because too many things rely on it and too many people use it.

And as long as its ad based; here's also going to be content regulation.

Rykan

Twitter is about creating a narrative bubble. Elon buying up Twitter was never about “dismantling” the ideological bubble sustained there; it was meant to replace it with a different one.

Twitter's algorithms have been changed to push right-wing content to more people. Its business model has shifted from ad-driven to subscription-based, allowing people to put their voices on top of the tweet chain for a few dollars a month—an offer overwhelmingly used by right-wingers. Elon Musk's tweets receive more exposure due to the algorithms, and he uses his own account to promote (sometimes far-) right-wing content, recommendations on who to vote for, and other right-wingers. You've undoubtedly seen it: he responds to some right-wing tweet with nothing more than “!!,” which serves no other purpose than to boost that tweet's reach on Twitter. Tucker Carlson's show receives free promotion. Musk uses Twitter to kick-start a Republican presidential candidate. The goal was not to have free speech; it was to promote a very specific narrative.

Musk got rid of the moderation team, and now it's basically a free-for-all. Nothing gets moderated anymore. We have people like @leafyishere posting tweet chains consisting of actual hate speech. It has been up for about three weeks now. Go look for yourself—it's still there. It's not removed, and he won't get banned for it. We have actual Nazis and people reciting actual talking points of Nazis on Twitter. The current Twitter is fine with all of that.

Here's what Twitter looks like: If you click on a tweet and read the responses, there's a good chance you'll find the following: a row of blue checkmarks consisting of men with selfies in their cars, wearing sunglasses, with unhinged takes (depending on the topic of the tweet), antivaxxers, bots, and then you'll arrive at the army of women promoting their OnlyFans. It is a dumpster fire.

Just to clarify, the above is only meant to describe what Twitter actually looks like. I'm not looking to discuss any of the content mentioned in those points, and I fully intend to comply with and respect the No Politics rule. The only intention is to clarify why people are leaving Twitter.

Most people don't want to be exposed to that sort of stuff. Old Twitter was significantly better than it is now. Did old Twitter go too far in its reach and catch too much in the net? Yes. Is it preferable to a platform that hosts and openly tolerates Nazis and hate speech? Also, yes.

CGNoire

Twitter is about creating a narrative bubble. Elon buying up Twitter was never about “dismantling” the ideological bubble sustained there; it was meant to replace it with a different one.

Twitter's algorithms have been changed to push right-wing content to more people. Its business model has shifted from ad-driven to subscription-based, allowing people to put their voices on top of the tweet chain for a few dollars a month—an offer overwhelmingly used by right-wingers. Elon Musk's tweets receive more exposure due to the algorithms, and he uses his own account to promote (sometimes far-) right-wing content, recommendations on who to vote for, and other right-wingers. You've undoubtedly seen it: he responds to some right-wing tweet with nothing more than “!!,” which serves no other purpose than to boost that tweet's reach on Twitter. Tucker Carlson's show receives free promotion. Musk uses Twitter to kick-start a Republican presidential candidate. The goal was not to have free speech; it was to promote a very specific narrative.

Musk got rid of the moderation team, and now it's basically a free-for-all. Nothing gets moderated anymore. We have people like @leafyishere posting tweet chains consisting of actual hate speech. It has been up for about three weeks now. Go look for yourself—it's still there. It's not removed, and he won't get banned for it. We have actual Nazis and people reciting actual talking points of Nazis on Twitter. The current Twitter is fine with all of that.

Here's what Twitter looks like: If you click on a tweet and read the responses, there's a good chance you'll find the following: a row of blue checkmarks consisting of men with selfies in their cars, wearing sunglasses, with unhinged takes (depending on the topic of the tweet), antivaxxers, bots, and then you'll arrive at the army of women promoting their OnlyFans. It is a dumpster fire.

Just to clarify, the above is only meant to describe what Twitter actually looks like. I'm not looking to discuss any of the content mentioned in those points, and I fully intend to comply with and respect the No Politics rule. The only intention is to clarify why people are leaving Twitter.

Most people don't want to be exposed to that sort of stuff. Old Twitter was significantly better than it is now. Did old Twitter go too far in its reach and catch too much in the net? Yes. Is it preferable to a platform that hosts and openly tolerates Nazis and hate speech? Also, yes.
Nazis and hate speech isnt what I experience when Ive visit there. Makes me wonder whether you have trained its algorithm for that or you have your own definitions on whats equals nazi speech. I mean I hear that term thrown around pretty darn loosely now a days.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Is that really the majority tonal thrust of this thread, though? I feel like most of the posts in here are either lamenting the negative effects of all social media, making observations and relaying the current developments around this topic, or laughing about how stupid everything has gotten.

Just like your criticism of Threads does not necessarily mean you are an "Elon stan", criticism of Twitter or Musk doesn't necessarily mean one is a "Threads stan" either.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I can kinda understand the ElonJet one, in fact some I wouldn't even call it censorship but whatever..
for sake of argument, let's just say Elon isn't innocent of it.
It seem with Social Media you have to pick your poison.
I think it's just best to stay away from all of it.

Does that mean I changed your mind on this point?

You just got censored 🤣

Top Bottom