• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Dread has sold over 3 million copies

Portugeezer

success-super-smash-bros-melee.gif

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
That seems very low for an iconic franchise and a very well-reviewed game, no?

I'm not familiar with how well this franchise usually sells though, so I may be wrong here.

StereoVsn

Good for them. I actually grabbed the game on physical and never popped it open...because I remembered that I really suck at actually playing Metroid. 😅

Kuranghi

The alternate routes are mind boggling too. The map seems to “guide” you but the devs allowed for some crazy sequence breaking.

Interesting, I'm not usually into that sort of play but I'm curious as to what's a more fun way to do it 2nd time around.

Any suggestions/links to ways to do things very differently?

Not bad. Really enjoyed it. Its a shame that the series just isn't that popular relatively speaking. Metroid Prime 4 could be the best game ever made and it would likely not sell much more. I think the main problem with the franchise and metroidvanias in general is that they do require some level of concentration and memorisation, which I like but many don't. Dread even went as far as to even say what you needed to unlock each door on the map etc but that clearly wasn't enough. I don't think Nintendo can dumb it down anymore without losing what makes the genres interesting.

That seems low. Not so much for a 2D Metroid, but for just being a first-party Switch game. The sales of pretty much anything Nintendo puts out on Switch skyrocket.

cireza

They made a good game, deserved.

I still hope that the next one will not be on rail as much. As a fan of the series, the constant push to the next place to go was a bit tiresome.
Also the world needs to be entirely connected, without loading/teleporters/elevators. Part of the magic of the older 2D games is discovering passages that actually fully traverse the world from left to right or top to bottom.

There is room for improvement.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
one of the most boring game I had ever played.
I think im 50% in the game and its collecting dust now.

The hide and seek section is very very bad.

JordiENP

Metroid is the "mature" Zelda people want but a lot of people still don't know it. I played from Zero mission to Dread in a month to give it a chance and it was one of the best gaming experiences ever. I love how the games actually connect and doesn't try to do the Zelda timeline or Mario type of universe.

MiguelItUp

For me it was a fine game, pretty shocking it sold that well. Then again for as long as Metroid fans waited for a new game, I guess it isn't too surprising.

Top Bottom