• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS5 not launching until Apr 2014-Mar 2015, new smaller MGS game before March 2014

Yeah 3 years between reveal and release sounds about right. So glad we get something by March 2014 though, hopefully its Ground Zeroes.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I hate it when people make posts like this, but im going to make one myself: this was obvious. Not the part about a smaller mgs game which could be ground zeroes or something else entirely, but certainly the part about Phantom Pain. If you're even remotely familiar with how long these mgs games take, this was extremely obvious.

Skeff

2015? Fuck, that is so far off.

Need my MGS fix, hope its Ground Zeroes that is released early. Hope its long.

They didn't actually rule out a MGS 5 in April 2014 btw. don't worry until we get a release date, personally I'd guess around October 2014.

Ein Bear

It's worth keeping in mind that the '2015' part is just when the next financial year ends. I'd be very surprised it Phantom Pain wasn't out in 2014.

Edit: Beaten ^^

Gustav

Banned
Metal_Gear_Solid_Touch_Logo.png

Was it any good?

Salaadin

Im assuming the smaller MGS game is Ground Zeroes. If it was all part of one package, they would have said so by now.

Probably going to sell it as an MGS5 prologue thats sets up the main MGS5 story, The Phantom Pain.

RK9039

It's worth keeping in mind that the '2015' part is just when the next financial year ends. I'd be very surprised it Phantom Pain wasn't out in 2014.

Edit: Beaten ^^

Exactly, it should be anywhere between April 2014 - March 2015, as it says in the title. I think end of 2014 sounds plausible.

Gun Animal

Lightning Bolt Action /=/ Tactical Espionage Action

Rising was a great action game, but it's not a MGS game.

I don't know man, it's definitely not like MGS1~MGS4 but the stealth sections (probably at least a fifth of the areas in the game could be played stealth) reminded me of Metal Gear 1's simple stealth system: enemies have a pixel-thin line of sight, and they can't see you when you're sitting in a box. Sure it's mostly combat, but MGS has never been all stealth: MGS1 had at least 12 forced combat sections including bosses and regular enemies. How many actual stealth 'levels' did it have, if you went to counting them? Hell, all but one of the main MGS games has let you play with a HF sword. (MGS: VR's Grey Fox Missions, MGS2's Olga's sword, MGS4/MGO's playable Raiden.)

There's even a wooden sword in MGR so that you can pacifist-run through everything but bosses. It's not exactly the same, but then neither is any other game in the series; they're all incredibly different from the last, to the point that every single entry has it's own group of purists who insist it was the last 'true' Metal Gear game. Actually, I'd argue that MGR is a better stealth game than MGS4, since it least it requires you to pay attention to patrol patterns and line of sight instead of just slowly worm-dancing right in front of people through every stage.

Even then, plot and character development are supposed to be the most important aspect of the series, and I'd say Rising has the best in both those departments since Snake Eater.

not if you know the series' release history

Metal Gear fans did what they generally do: develop insane conspiracy theories based on equal parts off-hand twitter comments and wishful thinking. The summer multiplayer beta window has already passed, so if there isn't a gameplay exhibit at Gamescom I think that dumb theory can be put to rest. I thought maybe a spring 2k14 release was possible because that's when the last two games came out, but again, wishful thinking.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I too would like an AC!D game for the Vita. Only ever played a small amount of the mobile version and that was on an old phone before Smart phones were around so you can imagine the resolution and controls. :lol fml

I don't know how I feel about them releasing MGS5's prologue as a stand-alone. Is it a good thing ? I think I want to play the whole thing at the same time.

I'd love a small XBLA/PSN sized prologue. It wouldn't be anything new: I'm one of these people who bought the MGS2 demo and got ZOE with it.

Edit: if we knew their forecasts for this smaller title, we'd have a better idea about what kind of game it is.

rvy

Banned
I don't know how I feel about them releasing MGS5's prologue as a stand-alone. Is it a good thing ? I think I want to play the whole thing at the same time.

You wouldn't like to play Tanker in 2000 before trying out the Big Shell in 2001? Works for me.
That's what you did anyway with the ZOE demo. This time there's no ZOE and you pay for the demo.

Gun Animal

You wouldn't like to play Tanker in 2000 before trying out the Big Shell in 2001? Works for me.
That's what you did anyway with the ZOE demo. This time there's no ZOE and you pay for the demo.

Maybe they'll bundle it with Lords of Shadow 2 or PES 2014. On one hand, they used Kojima's involvement to give Lords of Shadow the Metal Gear bump, it would make sense that they'd do it again. On the other hand, PES is cross-gen... I hope it's PES. :<

Same. I don't like it at all. I sure as hell am not paying full price for both.

If it's standalone, how much did Dead Rising 2: Case Zero cost at launch? Can't imagine them going higher than ten bux.

No, no it isn't.

Whoops, could've sworn it was. my bad. Definately hope it's either LOS2 or stand-alone in that case.

UrbanRats

I understood they were going to release MGSV in, like, Fall 2014; and Ground Zeroes (no day/night cycle, much smaller scale, etc) much sooner, like Fall 2013 or Q1 2014.

Betty

Banned
Same. I don't like it at all. I sure as hell am not paying full price for both.

If they do decide to release Ground Zeroes as a standalone, I'd be very surprised if it was the same price as a full retail game. They know if they did charge that much most people would just wait for the complete game.

I didn't do that with the Tanker chapter and I wouldn't have done so had I known about ZOE.

I would very much like it if they made, from the ground-up, a stand-alone thing similar to Case Zero for Dead Rising 2; that is, content that is supplemental to the main game and not the beginning or prologue.

Top Bottom