• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS5 not launching until Apr 2014-Mar 2015, new smaller MGS game before March 2014

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's probably The Phantom Pain. They've been talking about the game being two titles so it wouldn't surprise me if the prologue kind of thing is sold seperately and early, leading up to MGS5 proper.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
2015? and it still a cross-gen title? Weird, but at least Dark Souls II is coming in March so that will keep me occupied until MGS 5

Kuroyume

Banned
Just dump MGSO on Steam, Xbla, etc. Wasn't a fan but I would check it out again. Should be free though if you still have a copy of MGS4.

cafemomo

None of the non Kojima MGS get remembered. Notice how Konami's never re-released Ac!d/Ac!d 2 on PSN, Ghost Babel on eShop, or The Twin Snakes and Portable Ops in the HD Collection?

Well of course Twin Snakes wont be on anything other than a Ninty hardware and isn't Ac!d in the EU PSN? (Or was it portable ops?)

Takao

Banned
Well of course Twin Snakes wont be on anything other than a Ninty hardware and isn't Ac!d in the EU PSN? (Or was it portable ops?)

Portable Ops is on PSN in Europe and North America.It's only playable on Vita in Europe. Ac!d isn't available on any PSN store.

Coldsun

Banned
GroundZeros with a new Metal Gear Online would keep me beyond content till 2015.
Who am I kidding, a new MGO alone would keep me busy and ending the MGO with a "Continue Playing MGO By Purchasing MGS:5" would definitely make it a 'night of release' title.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Lord, I'd kill for a nice HD 2D Metal Gear, be it a completely new one or a remake of MG, MG:SS or Ghost Babel.

Squire

Banned
(I hope it's okay to bump this.)

So, after the recent round if previews, safe to say this is Ground Zeroes?

Trike

I wonder what "smaller" really means? I don't think it will be a port, but possibly a handheld title. I am thinking more than likely it will be an XBLA/PSN title. Would love to be proven wrong.
Or for it to be MGO. Release on Xbox would mean significantly less hacking.

Never going to come out on current gen consoles for sure...contrary to what Kojima has been saying

MGSV? Why wouldn't it? It isn't like suddenly the install base of the 360/PS3 is going to shrink so dramatically that there is no reason to release it on those consoles.

LAA

Argh 2015, I hoped it'd be next year...
I don't even want to think when KH3 is coming... FFXV too for that matter, but I would think it should be sooner on the way...

As others have said, a smaller MGS on the way. A Vita MGS would be very much appreciated by me!
Did the MGS HD Collection sell well? Was actually the first time I played MGS 2/3 and I had a blast with it, became a MGS fan from that moment on.
Perhaps it could have helped them justify making a vita MGS, if this smaller MGS is actually a vita game that is...

Arsenic

Not surprised. They're probably spending a considerable amount of money developing the game and don't want to release it until the console user base is large enough for it to sell enough for them to be happy with.

In fact, I've never understood why some devs release games anytime earlier than 2 years into a new generation.

Hmm, super late reply but there's so much wrong to this comment.

1. The game is releasing on current-gen systems as well as next-gen.

2. If no devs released any games in the first 2 years then....then what happens? Where would the line be drawn, where does it start? Release a console with no games?

3. Gears of War, Resistance, Lost Planet earned loyal fanbases that stuck by them even after shitty sequels.

4. Games stand out in the beginning of the generation.

EDIT:

On topic, GZ as a $15 downloadable game would be an awesome, neat idea as a lead-in to the real thing. Also can be viewed as a test case for episodic distribution that publishers have be talking about over the past few years.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
So, goes anyone else think that Ground Zeroes will be some sort of test drive to see how the public reacts to the new mechanics directly?

Elios83

Maybe the smaller game is Ground Zeroes for PS3/360 and that's the game that has been getting the ratings recently.
The full Phantom Pain of course is scheduled for end of 2014/early 2015.

ash_ag

None of the non Kojima MGS get remembered. Notice how Konami's never re-released Ac!d/Ac!d 2 on PSN, Ghost Babel on eShop, or The Twin Snakes and Portable Ops in the HD Collection?

Ghost Babel is by Kojima. The reason it's not rereleased is probably because it's generally not considered canon. Well, not without counting a few crazy ass theories.

Twin Snakes is produced (though not directed) by Kojima, but Nintendo owns some rights because Silicon Knights (along with Miyamoto) developed it -- and Kojima generally seems to consider MGS1 a bigger achievement symbolically, which is why he seems to be hesitant about a new remake even now. Portable Ops is also only produced by Kojima, but in this case he seems to deliberately not consider it -- maybe because he was indeed not completely involved, and it wasn't as grand as Peace Walker proved it could be.

Now, AC!D is just a different case. I don't think he personally has issue with it (as he probably does have with the aforementioned games), but he simply likely doesn't care.

chemicals

There they go again - anytime Kojima or his team tries to communicate with the press it comes out so odd. - 'Oh we've been working on MGS5 for a long time... it won't be out anytime soon, though... and did we mention it will be 2 separate games? ... oh and the second game will be THREE HUNDRED TIMES bigger than the first one... and oh yeah, we almost forgot but we also have a completely different Metal Gear game coming out early next year - before the other two. What?'

Elios83

I'm at work on a shitty computer so I can shift through all the threads. OP has March 2015. Is this a typo?

Nope, MGSV Phantom Pain is released in the next fiscal year which goes from April 2014 until March 2015.
Realistically it's being targeted as a holiday 2014 game with the possibility to delay until Q1 2015 if they need more time.
Now the questions is all about Ground Zeroes and the other smaller MGS title releasing soon.

Vashetti

Banned
Surely this delay must mean they will scrap current gen and go next gen only.

What? lol

People need to get over this idea that current-gen is over. Cross-gen games are going to last years, you just cannot ignore that 160 million install base on PS3/360.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Must be MGS4 on Xbone. Finally, after years of waiting, MGS4 will be making its way to a Microsoft console. Thank you blu-ray.

"smaller MGS" coming this year or this fiscal year ? Because if it truly is this year, then I can't imagine it being Ground Zeroes, right ? It has to be something else.

Blader

"smaller MGS" coming this year or this fiscal year ? Because if it truly is this year, then I can't imagine it being Ground Zeroes, right ? It has to be something else.

why not? Ground Zeroes is just the one mission Kojima has demoed five times already. And apparently it's already been rated for release in Germany.

Magnus

Wasn't Ground Zeroes a separate project that got built into TPP? Or a former code name for TPP?

Don't recall seeing info that they're two separate games...

Takao

Banned
Ghost Babel is by Kojima. The reason it's not rereleased is probably because it's generally not considered canon. Well, not without counting a few crazy ass theories.

Nojiri, who went on to direct both Ac!d games directed and designed Ghost Babel. Kojima's credited for directing too, but one has to question how involved he was.

Chittagong

Gold Member
He probably re-watched the Phantom Pain trailers and figured that retconning the scenes to a narrative even slightly more coherent than Inland Empire will take that much longer.

Top Bottom