• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS5 not launching until Apr 2014-Mar 2015, new smaller MGS game before March 2014

Loomba

Argh why did they announce it so early if it's not coming out until 2015. Games should be announced about 4-5 months before release; still plenty of time to generate hype.

Must have missed it what did it say?

ibwrOOFJAo8xCw.jpg

Blader

Surely this delay must mean they will scrap current gen and go next gen only.

Why would they scrap current gen? The extra effort is going to upgrading the game for next gen, not downgrading to current gen. Dumping the PS3/360 versions would be a pointless waste of resources.

I don't think cross-gen titles appearing in that fiscal year would be out of the ordinary anyway, like Destiny.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Why would they scrap current gen? The extra effort is going to upgrading the game for next gen, not downgrading to current gen. Dumping the PS3/360 versions would be a pointless waste of resources.

I don't think cross-gen titles appearing in that fiscal year would be out of the ordinary anyway, like Destiny.

People seem to think that as soon as nextgen drops, everyone is abandoning current gen immediately and jumping ship for some reason.

I mean you got people thinking USF4 coming out early 2014 is a bad move

georly

Cool, turns out i'm not getting a ps4 until 2015 at the earliest :) Thanks for saving me some money, Kojima. Hopefully the psFour is out by then and is 100 bucks cheaper.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Ground Zeroes in 2014 for $19.99 cross-gen. Phantom Pain for $49.99 in 2015 optimized for Next Gen. DO IT

not likely

The hype train was started way too fucking early if this is really the planned release date.

It was originally planned for Christmas going by a tweet Kojima posted last year which mentioned what they'd be showing of the game at each event.

BTW the 'this year' in the title, does that mean this Financial year? or 2013?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
If this comes out anywhere close to 2015 then they should just scrap the current gen versions.
Yeah, I don't think the people who are going to flock to buy a Metal Gear game in 2015 are going to be primarily gaming on this current gen's consoles. The user base transition is going to be a lot quicker than last gen.
The hype train was started way too fucking early if this is really the planned release date.
December 2012. Damn, as bad or worse than Bioshock Infinite.

Gun Animal

Cool, turns out i'm not getting a ps4 until 2015 at the earliest :) Thanks for saving me some money, Kojima. Hopefully the psFour is out by then and is 100 bucks cheaper.

Yeah, I'm seriously reconsidering my pre-order at this point too, since the promise of Metal Gear is about 90% of my decision. If they don't at least announce a release date for Ground Zeroes by TGS, and make it cross-gen, I'll probably cancel.

Betty

Banned
The question we need to be asking is: what is the cheapest, shoddiest path Konami can take to releasing (or perhaps re-releasing) a MGS game within the next year? That's our answer.

Put Legacy Collection on PS4, boom.

And the date seems in line with how MGS4 was handled; announced in 2005, hyped in 2006, released in 2008.

Buntabox

Kojima did the same thing with MGS4. Announced it years before it released. The first TGS trailer was in 2005 (not even in engine.) We didn't a glimpse of the game till 2006. Still had to wait two more years for the release.

That said, I doubt the game will release in 2015. The Fox Engine has supposedly allowed Kojima to develop a lot faster. The slow and difficult dev time of MGS4 is part of the reason he set out to make it. I think Fall 2014 seems likely for the release of the full game.

I'd be excited if we got a GZ prologue this year (who wouldn't be). Hell, attach a MGO3 beta to it (could this be what KojiPro LA has been working on?). It's hard to tell what their game plan is. We could end up with some left field game release this fall.

Blader

Don't know why people are assuming a 2015 release at all from the thread title. Konami isn't going to launch one of it's biggest games at the beginning of a year. It'll be a late spring or holiday release, meaning 2014.

Persona86

Banned
Don't know why people are assuming a 2015 release at all from the thread title. Konami isn't going to launch one of it's biggest games at the beginning of a year. It'll be a late spring or holiday release, meaning 2014.

Yeah 2015 is basically the backup plan.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Yeah, it'll be a holiday title next year. I think at E3, Kojima mentioned they hadn't even started on the next gen versions so that's probably where the hold up is.

Tookay

If they release Ground Zeroes early as a prologue and it's packed with the same amount of gameplay as MGS2's demo, I don't even care when MGS5 releases.

d31m0s

Christ... 2015?? And it's still slated for PS360? Meh.

It was built for those systems as a basis thats why the trailer was using a pc specced to those systems next gen versions will likely have X16AA 60 FPS, and some added features like tessellation but overall be pretty similar and cross gen games going into 2016 would not surprise me if 80% of third party games are cross gen until early mid 2016

Sojgat

Argh why did they announce it so early if it's not coming out until 2015. Games should be announced about 4-5 months before release; still plenty of time to generate hype.

The long buildup is what makes the eventual revelation that, instead of Snake, you play as sniper girl Quiet for 90% of the game, all the more "satisfying".

Gun Animal

Yeah, it'll be a holiday title next year. I think at E3, Kojima mentioned they hadn't even started on the next gen versions so that's probably where the hold up is.

I wonder if it would help or hurt their sales to focus completely on the current-gen version until it's out, then port to next-gen, then PC, staggering the releases six months or so apart.

Alienous

Ground Zeroes as an smaller, sandbox stealth experience.

It lets them tell the Ground Zeroes story, and when The Phantom Pain releases
the first thing you do will be waking up from a coma, and re-learning how to move and shoot as Snake literally does the same thing before the spectacle of MGSV

Because MGSV is clearly a long way away.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
It was built for those systems as a basis thats why the trailer was using a pc specced to those systems next gen versions will likely have X16AA 60 FPS, and some added features like tessellation but overall be pretty similar and cross gen games going into 2016 would not surprise me if 80% of third party games are cross gen until early mid 2016

No way, I expect most of this cross gen business to end after next year. If we're still seeing the majority of titles release on PS360 in 2016, we're in trouble.

Angelcurio

Gold Member
Why announce it so early then? What a way to deflate hype. My most awaited game is just short of almost two years away.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
What the fuck?

Good thing it is coming out on next gen consoles.

Can't wait though, hope all that time in the cooker makes this an awesome game.

RIP Hayter. :(

Top Bottom