• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
She even admitted before the case that she is not too privy about the game industry. This is a "learn as you go" establishing case law.

Maybe she should check her condescending tone for someone who seems to lack context and nuance about all the moving parts and wants to essentially say, "a car is a car."
Calverz Calverz I see you left a laugh emoji?

Do you believe playing a game on cloud is the same thing as buying a game? Do you believe the Series S is the Switch's competition due to price? Both serve two different types of marketing and end user structures within the industry.

That's like saying, buying a Fiat is the same thing as buying a Lamborghini, they're both Italian (at one time) a car is a car.

All of a sudden we lack context and nuance when normally that's all we argue about when it supports a narrative or not any other time on here?

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Welp, looks like it's GGs for injunction. I look forward to Microsoft continuing to buy out entire publishers, because that's what they'll do.

The minute someone like Ubisoft shows turmoil, here they'll come, same for Sony.

I hope everyone looks forward to a guaranteed acquisition war, because that's exactly how Sony will respond if it goes through.

None of this will be good for gaming going forward.
The only people who are genuinely excited for and want this to happen are those who are so emotionally invested in the console war nonsense so they can add CoD to their list of exclusives when engaging here or elsewhere. Or those who are so insanely strapped for cash that saving $60 in the month of November by way of having CoD on gamepass is literally giving them financial breathing room. Beyond that there is ZERO benefit whatsoever to this going through. It just sets a precedent going forward that this is a possibility so more companies will engage in this nonsense.

Ar¢tos

sorry but I am not aware that we have the details of exclusivity agreement for FF7R. Can you share it with me?
Yes, they say:
Not available on other platforms until xx/xx/xx

They don't say:
Not available on other platforms* until xx/xx/xx
* Except Xbox consoles, it will never be released on Xbox

Platforms = more than one
PC counts only as one.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The idea that COD being Xbox exclusive would only sway 5% of the userbase in Xbox’s favor is certifiably insane. Would love to know just how manipulated the market analysis is on that.
Didn't he say 5% of the overall gaming industry, but over 20% on Sony?

I may be misremembering, will have to see the notes again. Everyone kept talking over him in that moment and not letting him explain.

Calverz

Calverz Calverz I see you left a laugh emoji?

Do you believe playing a game on cloud is the same thing as buying a game? Do you believe the Series S is the Switch's competition due to price? Both serve two different types of marketing and end user structures within the industry.

That's like saying, buying a Fiat is the same thing as buying a Lamborghini, they're both Italian (at one time) a car is a car.

All of a sudden we lack context and nuance when normally that's all we argue about when it supports a narrative or not any other time on here?
I believe a spade is a spade friend.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I believe a spade is a spade friend.
Serious The Four GIF by Diddy

tryDEATH

The only people who are genuinely excited for and want this to happen are those who are so emotionally invested in the console war nonsense so they can add CoD to their list of exclusives when engaging here or elsewhere. Or those who are so insanely strapped for cash that saving $60 in the month of November by way of having CoD on gamepass is literally giving them financial breathing room. Beyond that there is ZERO benefit whatsoever to this going through. It just sets a precedent going forward that this is a possibility so more companies will engage in this nonsense.
I am a GamePass cheerleader and would be willing to pay up to $20 a month if they manage to get ABK. It simply is too good of a deal to pass on, especially if they are 1st party titles from Xbox that we know won't leave GamePass for years I simply don't want to be paying $70 for a game that I might or might not like. Buying 3 1/2 games or having access to a whole library of games including new releases day and date is a no-brainer for me.

dotnotbot

If Microsoft gets Activision we will be back to the Nes era ...Microsoft dominating meanwhile Sony and Nintendo living on the edge...

Well it's not gonna happen immediately. That's why Microsoft will keep acquiring IPs and publishers one after another quickly because there won't be enough data to prove they're hurting competition too much. By the time they're done it will be too late.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The only way i survived college is Blockbusters renting games.

Gamepass is like an upgraded version of that.......could I now afford all these games?, probably.....do I also have to pay rent?, heck yes.
Buying and selling physical releases is more hassle than 3 years gold conversion.

graywolf323

don’t you understand? it’s way more fun being able to lord over others what games they can’t play without buying your favorite system than it is to actually play games

bitbydeath

Gold Member
This will start an acquisition war, plain and simple. If it clears, I would wager that Sony will respond by taking Square within a years time or so. You can bookmark this post.
I think we’re already past that point.
Sony announced not long ago that they’re (considering?) selling their financial sector to acquire more studios.

Most people cheering for Gamepass are not prepared for the water downed garbage 5 years down the line. Sure, it’s a good deal. But all your favorite games will be netflixed, guaranteed and unfortunately it’s a reality you won’t realize how shitty it is until you’re living in it and looking back on the “good ol’ days”. Nothing is free, you will pay the price. A couple of freebies first to suck you in. If you think games are already watered down, you haven’t seen anything yet. Objectively speaking, games are the best bang for your buck in entertainment today. It won’t be in a manufactured games pass future

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Most people cheering for Gamepass are not prepared for the water downed garbage 5 years down the line. Sure, it’s a good deal. But all your favorite games will be netflixed, guaranteed and unfortunately it’s a reality you won’t realize how shitty it is until you’re living in it and looking back on the “good ol’ days”. Nothing is free, you will pay the price. A couple of freebies first to suck you in

Yup, Spencer said in his emails what he would like to do with those IPs. He's mainly interested in mobile potential and converting console users to mobile. Gather as many subs as you can and then use the popularity to lure in casuals.

Last edited:

b6a6es

Banned
It's what it will *be*. It doesn't have anything to do with how much "capital" Sony has.

This will start an acquisition war, plain and simple. If it clears, I would wager that Sony will respond by taking Square within a years time or so. You can bookmark this post.
More like Sony Spinning off SIE (which is a western Entity since 2016) to be bought up by a bigger fish while sony group can focus on aniplex games (consisting of mobile games, multiplats & switch exclusives) competing with Namco Bandai

Last edited:

Antwix

I'd love for it to go through. Not a console warrior as I've owned all of them at one point in time. I'm just a selfish Game Pass subscriber who wants even more benefits. Don't really care about the "downfall of gaming" or whatever other dramatized buzz phrases there are cuz it ain't up to me anyway.

zapper

Microsoft attorney who questioned ftc witnesses misreported, saying ff16 went exclusive in 2022 when it was announced ps5 exclusive from inception in 2020. Didn't they correct her?

dotnotbot

I'd love for it to go through. Not a console warrior as I've owned all of them at one point in time. I'm just a selfish Game Pass subscriber who wants even more benefits. Don't really care about the "downfall of gaming" or whatever other dramatized buzz phrases there are cuz it ain't up to me anyway.

Hell yeah brother, I don't believe in global warming either.

Microsoft attorney who questioned ftc witnesses misreported, saying ff16 went exclusive in 2022 when it was announced ps5 exclusive from inception in 2020. Didn't they correct her?

I hope they did. Even if they don't follow the industry that closely, documents provided by Sony should have noted the date the deal was made and that date definitely would not have been 2022.

oh no she uses statista and metacritic and doesnt game this should be fun

Statista is more encompassing of various data but VGSales is the more accurate of the two.

MetaCritic? LOL.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
I think we’re already past that point.
Sony announced not long ago that they’re (considering?) selling their financial sector to acquire more studios.

Yep. They are preparing to spin off their financial arm within the next two years to refocus the company on entertainment and image sensors. PlayStation being at the forefront of entertainment for them. I do believe it will also mean SIE will be their largest moneymaker by a wide margin. They said they see what's happening in the industry and won't be left behind. They already had enough money to make some fairly big moves without stock swaps or debt increases. Selling off their financial arm will give them a pretty big cash injection, a slimmer market diversity to allow more money to be pumped into the remainder, and they'll be free of banking regulations requiring them to maintain billions in reserve. I don't think it matters if the deal closes or not. It doesn't sound like Sony is waiting to see what happens next.

Last edited:

Alebrije

I don’t think so. I think if anything, it will make Microsoft a bit more competitive in the console space.
Just look at the markets where MS operates, no competitors..where is a Windows and Office options? Just Open sources that have a small user base.

MS is a monster with tons of money and lack of creativity ...they wont wait 1 or 2 generations to create IPS when they can buy them right now.

Most people cheering for Gamepass are not prepared for the water downed garbage 5 years down the line. Sure, it’s a good deal. But all your favorite games will be netflixed, guaranteed and unfortunately it’s a reality you won’t realize how shitty it is until you’re living in it and looking back on the “good ol’ days”. Nothing is free, you will pay the price. A couple of freebies first to suck you in. If you think games are already watered down, you haven’t seen anything yet. Objectively speaking, games are the best bang for your buck in entertainment today. It won’t be in a manufactured games pass future
I dunno, I've had GP for like 5 years now and it consistently delivers and it's well worth the 15 bucks /mo. One of the best perks is day 1 discounts on new releases usually around 10% off which offsets the $70 AAA release. Throw MS rewards in there and GP pretty pays for itself, great service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom