• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno, I've had GP for like 5 years now and it consistently delivers and it's well worth the 15 bucks /mo. One of the best perks is day 1 discounts on new releases usually around 10% off which offsets the $70 AAA release. Throw MS rewards in there and GP pretty pays for itself, great service.
I presume you’re on the $1 gold deal? I am as well and it is indeed great. We’re still in early stages tho, Microsoft still has less than 50 million subs? Their goal is 10x that, and investors really want a future of a billion subs someday. We’re early adopters so enjoying the freebies

tmlDan

we're all going mobile, its inevitable

Kevin Hart Crying GIF by Team Coco

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Her voice is like nails on a chalk board. Is she talking on a boost mobile phone?

She must be on video call using her 21 dollar blue tooth microphone

Last edited:
Yep. They are preparing to spin off their financial arm within the next two years to refocus the company on entertainment and image sensors. PlayStation being at the forefront of entertainment for them. I do believe it will also mean SIE will be their largest moneymaker by a wide margin. They said they see what's happening in the industry and won't be left behind. They already had enough money to make some fairly big moves without stock swaps or debt increases. Selling off their financial arm which give them a pretty big cash injection, a slimmer market diversity to allow more money to be pumped into the remainder, and they'll be free of banking regulations requiring them to maintain billions in reserve. I don't think it matters if the deal closes or not. It doesn't sound like Sony is waiting to see what happens next.

I'm curious what Sony's strategy on this note looks like. Realistically, I think it is going to involve at least 1 or 2 mid-sized 3P publishers. Square-Enix is a very strong bet, the second one is open to some speculation though. Personally, I think it would probably be Capcom.

But outside that, I'm wondering if the strategy also involves key investments and share purchases, because that will be very important too. They will probably need to buy notable amount of shares in a lot of the big 3P publishers, and make some upfront investments in a few of them, like what they've done with Epic. That would also avoid all of the headaches that come with getting approval for these bigger gaming acquisitions. Maybe Sony just goes for one key publisher and the other acquisitions are centered on developers specifically? Hard to know right now.

Personally I don't see Sony trying to acquire a Western 3P publisher. No CDPR, no Take-Two, no EA or Ubisoft. But I can easily see them buying notable amounts of shares in them, particularly CDPR and Take-Two, and making upfront investments in them. If they do acquire Square-Enix, they will probably come to some agreement with Nintendo on access to certain IP like Dragon Quest and Octopath Traveler. If they acquire Capcom (less likely but would be a 2nd pick), again they'd probably reach an agreement w/ Nintendo on access to IP like Monster Hunter and Ace Attorney. I don't know if they'd extent the same to Microsoft and honestly, they don't need to on virtue neither publisher gets any significant amount of revenue off Xbox sales, since Xbox contributes so little to their revenue as-is.

More scaremongering that's easily dispelled by the information we already have.

Besides, nobody is buying Ubisoft. They're a mess, and have too many employees.

I love how it's always "scaremongering" until it actually starts to happen.
I think we’re already past that point.
Sony announced not long ago that they’re (considering?) selling their financial sector to acquire more studios.

I was looking for this, but was too busy in the moment to find this. Thank you! The domino's are already in place for this scenario.

It's clear their intention(Sony) is to retaliate in some form.

I am a GamePass cheerleader and would be willing to pay up to $20 a month if they manage to get ABK. It simply is too good of a deal to pass on, especially if they are 1st party titles from Xbox that we know won't leave GamePass for years I simply don't want to be paying $70 for a game that I might or might not like. Buying 3 1/2 games or having access to a whole library of games including new releases day and date is a no-brainer for me.
The service has been shit for ages now. Nothing but old games, Indies and redfall and this clown wants to pay even more.

This shit is part of the problem. Gamers convinced a deal that isn't even that great is the best thing since sliced bread.
After 12 months I've played 12 minutes that ridiculous indie game that resets.
Darktide, redfall and that shitty souls clone

Those three AA games while one is first party, they all disappointed. They haven't delivered a decent stream of bangers or big games in along time. And you want to pay more.

I also don't understand how casuals even save money? Like a cod bro will spend 120$ a year to play cod. Make that 240$ a year if this clown gets his way.

Seriously who wants to pay 240 dollars a year for a sub. That's the way it's going, with already the price increase.

tmlDan

I am not sure what she's getting at here, is she arguing that the global market matters more than the USA? lol

This is about the USA and local

I presume you’re on the $1 gold deal? I am as well and it is indeed great. We’re still in early stages tho, Microsoft still has less than 50 million subs? Their goal is 10x that, and investors really want a future of a billion subs someday. We’re early adopters so enjoying the freebies
Nope, I've been paying for it except for the 1st month it was a dollar and just left it on because it keeps bringing value.

Alebrije

They bought out all the small business calendar/contacts software developers in the 90's; now we are stuck with crappy ass outlook and having to pay for a 365 license to get it..
That is the point , they use the old strategy of " if you cant compete, buy them". ...also I have worked those kind of companies and their favorite statement is " what is better than one monopoly?....two monopolies"

Also Sony or Nintendo are not the good guys, they just lack the money to do what Microsoft is doing...So they need to be creative to keep.on the market.

Nope, I've been paying for it except for the 1st month it was a dollar and just left it on because it keeps bringing value.
I feel like you’re getting ripped off for not taking advantage of the 3 year $1 Gamepass deal, especially if you’re an enthusiast and are in the know of these things. I’ve actually done it twice now for 6 years of service.

But value varies per person so respect

bxrz

I am not sure what she's getting at here, is she arguing that the global market matters more than the USA? lol

This is about the USA and local
Shes saying that since products and brands are the same worldwide, it's a worldwide market, not a U.S.-specific market. FTC expert, Dr Lee, said it was a U.S.-specific market. Shes going against that thought

tmlDan

this is insane, id be fired if i said this at work.

Global decisions are not the same as local or differentiating markets thats nuts, humans are not the same in gaming everywhere

Three

Shes saying that since products and brands are the same worldwide, it's a worldwide market, not a U.S.-specific market. FTC expert, Dr Lee, said it was a U.S.-specific market. Shes going against that thought
And Dr Lee would be right. Japan for example plays less COD than the US and the fact that they're the same age is so irrelevant that it's comical people are cheerleading this analysis.

tryDEATH

The service has been shit for ages now. Nothing but old games, Indies and redfall and this clown wants to pay even more.

This shit is part of the problem. Gamers convinced a deal that isn't even that great is the best thing since sliced bread.
After 12 months I've played 12 minutes that ridiculous indie game that resets.
Darktide, redfall and that shitty souls clone

Those three AA games while one is first party, they all disappointed. They haven't delivered a decent stream of bangers or big games in along time. And you want to pay more.

I also don't understand how casuals even save money? Like a cod bro will spend 120$ a year to play cod. Make that 240$ a year if this clown gets his way.

Seriously who wants to pay 240 dollars a year for a sub. That's the way it's going, with already the price increase.
That's purely your opinion on games I can't do anything against that, but speaking for myself I have enjoyed plenty of games that have released on GamePass day and date including games that have come afterwards from 3rd party devs, which over exceed my expectations for what I have paid for.

I am sorry you're unable to enjoy the service.

Ronin_7

Strange that in this thread it’s all about MS owning the FTC, but outside this thread all the new threads on this topic are about FTC owning MS.

Marvel really messed up the multiverse.
People who care about this shit gotta have alot of money on the line.

I like for the leaks & lulz and that's about it.

bxrz

And Dr Lee would be right. Japan for example plays less COD than the US and the fact that they're the same age is so irrelevant that it's comical people are cheerleading this analysis.
They're talking about the whole gaming market, not just console. Keep in mind consoles are irrelevant in places like China and mobile runs gaming over there. PCs are in the equation aswell

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
So Xbox with Activision will beat Sony by far.

They are gonna overtake take-two.

this is insane, id be fired if i said this at work.

Global decisions are not the same as local or differentiating markets thats nuts, humans are not the same in gaming everywhere
She has the telemetry from Sony and MS and gamers world wide are very very similar so decisions being made for the US would not be dissimilar to decision made elsewhere.

My guess, biggest differences are FIFA vs Madden/NBA.

Three

They're talking about the whole gaming market, not just console. Keep in mind consoles are irrelevant in places like China and mobile runs gaming over there. PCs are in the equation aswell
why do you think she is talking about xbox and Playstation telemetry data not mobile or PC?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom