• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
So Microsoft made a deal to bring COD to Nintendo Switch:

(1) Without doing any financial or strategic analysis (Phil's testimony)
(2) Without closing the acquisition in the first place
(3) Without information Activision

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Think we knew this already as he’d said in submissions that it cannibalises sales and devalues the product.

That being said, the CMA found that they’d always been willing to discuss opportunities internally (regarding subscription models).

So it seems to be that they are against them, but if there was a way of doing it in a way that exceeded their current models’ profitability they would have been open to it.
Basically Kotick could have just answered money to every question.
Why are you selling?
Money
Why don't you like multi title subscription services?
Money
What are you hoping to get out ofnthis deal?
Money
What would make you consider putting CoD on switch?
Money
What is your guiding principle on any of this?
MONEY

And Aaron Greenberg was in his Twitter Space yesterday.

Yeah, someone DM'd me it earlier and his icon was clearly there.

Stuff like that is why I have so little respect for Microsoft or Xbox management anymore. They are tasteless, and stir the worst toxicity I've ever seen in gaming, by far. They enable the worst people, the worst FUD, and the worst trends.

They are, easily, the worst platform holder in the industry's entire history.

Stuff like that is why I have so little respect for Microsoft or Xbox management anymore. They are tasteless, and stir the worst toxicity I've ever seen in gaming, by far. They enable the worst people, the worst FUD, and the worst trends.

For me, they are just the worst in every industry they touch.

LordCBH

It honestly pisses me off because I actually like the hardware they put out (mostly), a good portion of the IP’s they own, and stuff like that.

It honestly pisses me off because I actually like the hardware they put out (mostly), a good portion of the IP’s they own, and stuff like that.

This is what upsets me, too. Xbox as a console has a lot of potential, but Microsoft as a platform holder are the worst thing that could ever have happened to it.

Xbox will never realize what true potential it has as long as Microsoft runs the show. Or at least, as long as the current upper management remains in place. The whole team needs to be flushed altogether.

RedC

This is what upsets me, too. Xbox as a console has a lot of potential, but Microsoft as a platform holder are the worst thing that could ever have happened to it.

Xbox will never realize what true potential it has as long as Microsoft runs the show. Or at least, as long as the current upper management remains in place. The whole team needs to be flushed altogether.
I think this is a nonsense take.

Xbox wouldn't have lasted this long without Microsoft.

ToadMan

Basically Kotick could have just answered money to every question.
Why are you selling?
Money
Why don't you like multi title subscription services?
Money
What are you hoping to get out ofnthis deal?
Money
What would make you consider putting CoD on switch?
Money
What is your guiding principle on any of this?
MONEY

The acquisition deal expires July 18 - what will determine if you extend that deal vs walk away …?

Satya gonna have to raid the piggy bank.

money pig GIF by Alexander Lansang

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
The acquisition deal expires July 18 - what will determine if you extend that deal vs walk away …?

Satya gonna have to raid the piggy bank.

money pig GIF by Alexander Lansang
I think MS can afford it. And seeing how much they will financially hurt Sony might be even more incentive. It’s not enough that I succeed……

Three

Wait, what did she mean by this? How does this make any sense? Is she just saying things that favors Microsoft's arguments?

She is showing crossplatform games exist with the switch so it is a substitute device. Didn't really show substituted sales of consoles though. She reported on some crossplatform engagement numbers but I suspect these were cheap or free to play games like Fortnite and tracked multiconsole users switching between devices at their convenience. This is a clear option/substitute for engagement but it isn't really a clear substitute for sales. I doubt the statistics supports many people saying "you know what I think I'm going to buy this years COD on Switch instead of PS5/XS." because that represents an actual either/or situation to the buyer. That would be a real substitute sale rather than a free option for portability or convenience depending on the persons circumstance. I can certainly see somebody saying "I'm going to chill in bed and play Fortnite on the Switch" though since the ability to do so isn't really a substitute sale decision the consumer has to make.

Last edited:
Era cancelling him in 3... 2... 1...
It Begins Here We Go GIF by hero0fwar

Or does their love for the corporation outweigh that?

Well they already banned any links to Florian on there. If he has an account over there they'll probably pretend it doesn't exist unless he's egotistical & stupid enough to post with it.

Which will probably end up happening very soon.

I think this is a nonsense take.

Xbox wouldn't have lasted this long without Microsoft.

Yes, because of the combination of MS making many bad business & creative decisions with the division alongside all the money their non-gaming sectors bring in to offset the losses of the Xbox division due to said mistakes.

But Xbox IMO would have been around today and in a much better spot, if MS actually took up Sega's offer to bankroll a Dreamcast 2. Let Sega handle the hardware, software, marketing, distribution etc., and Microsoft money to finance them. That was the best combination but Microsoft turned it down because they wanted absolute control of the entire pipeline.

I would have much preferred a reality where Sega were still a platform holder and Microsoft were a backing financer of their operations, compared to what we have today. Microsoft have enabled the worst toxicity and corporate FUD campaigns in the industry. At this point they nullify many of what good they brought in the past, IMO.

I'm generally not happy to see people perma-banned, but he's an exception. I'm glad he's gone and hope never to see him/his alt on here ever again.

People like him bring absolutely nothing of value to gaming discussion that someone else equally (or more) knowledgeable couldn't bring while leaving the rabid toxicity behind.

Calverz

Your post is itself a nonsense take.
He didn't say "xbox wouldn't have lasted without microsoft".
He said the xbox brand is and has been held back from its potential by microsoft badly managing it over the years.
Respond to what was actually posted, not what you imagine they posted.
Ok so Microsoft walk away and someone takes over and suddenly makes it a success?

RedC

A competently run Xbox would have. Not the Phil Spencer decade of destruction and his stellar first party leadership since 2008
Xbox is in the best position it's ever been and Phil is precisely the reason they've gotten Microsoft's full backing and investing over 80 billion is proof of it.

There's a reason Sony is scared.

Some people just fail to see the bigger picture and the long-term future Microsoft is aiming for.

RedC

Your post is itself a nonsense take.
He didn't say "xbox wouldn't have lasted without microsoft".
He said the xbox brand is and has been held back from its potential by microsoft badly managing it over the years.
Respond to what was actually posted, not what you imagine they posted.
My point is the Xbox brand wouldn't exist this long without Microsoft. Period. So it's a paradox or better yet a nonsense take.

Xbox is in the best position it's ever been and Phil is precisely the reason they've gotten Microsoft's full backing and investing over 80 billion is proof of it.

There's a reason Sony is scared.

Some people just fail to see the bigger picture and the long-term future Microsoft is aiming for.

No I can see the long-term easily. Mass industry consolidation of 3P publishers, putting PlayStation out of business, turning their attention to Nintendo after they get rid of PlayStation, hoarding every big 3P IP they can to starve Apple, Google, Amazon etc. from anything before cloud takes off.

They tried the Embrace, Extend, Extinguish strategy with Sony, the emails prove this much. Unfortunately for Microsoft, their actual plans got revealed over the course of this trail, so they won't be catching any competitors off-guard with their parasitic tactics anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom