• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft allows for native Xbox games in latest beta Windows 10 Update, State of Decay for free for testers.

Dontero

Banned
Here we are folks. Like many predicted (including me) MS is going for next gen to Xbox as service instead of just console (though they will sell consoles too)

https://www.techradar.com/amp/news/windows-10-april-2019-update-could-play-native-xbox-one-games

It’s no secret that Microsoft has been looking at ways to get people without an Xbox One to play its games, and now an early version of the upcoming Windows 10 April 2019 Update (also known as 19H1) hints at how Microsoft is tweaking the operating system to potentially make it possible to play native Xbox games on PC.

As Brad Sams on Thurrot.com explains, people who try out Windows 10 build 18334, the aforementioned early version of the April 2019 Update, also get a chance to try out Microsoft’s State of Decay game for free.

When you download State of Decay, rather than downloading the game from the Microsoft Store server (serverdl.microsoft.com), which is usually where PC versions of Xbox games are kept, the game instead downloads from assets1.xboxlive.com.

It therefore looks like you're able to download the Xbox One version of the game, rather than a PC port. When the game is downloaded, it appears in the .xvc file format, which is an Xbox One file format, and this file can be installed using the updated PowerShell application in Windows 10 April 2019 Update.

Running the file pops up a legacy DirectX installation window. The latest build of the Windows 10 April 2019 Update also adds a new Gaming Service app (Microsoft.GamingServices) which installs two drivers xvdd.sys = XVD Disk Driver (Microsoft Gaming Filesystem Driver) gameflt.sys = Gaming Filter (Microsoft Gaming Install Filter Driver).

WalkingCat, a Twitter user who is well known for digging into Microsoft’s software for clues about what the company is planning, noted that xsapi.dll = Durango Storage API, XCrdApi.dll = Durango XCRDAPI are referenced in the files, and Durango was famously Microsoft’s codename for the Xbox One.

While it is not full access to native xbox games and store it shows that they are currently working on it and are in phase of testing which means that they will probably officially announce it at E3 2019 along with their next console to build up new way of delivering games across all devices and Xbox will be API rather than just next gen console.

It is worth noting that while PC ms store has things like ms exclusives and gamepass, offering of those is completely shit compared to Xbox console version. Offering xbox version would fix gamepass issues of having barely any content.

Last edited:
So, uh, does that mean no graphics settings? If you are playing the Xbox version, is everyone playing the exact same version, no matter what their PC specs are? Are the game files now protected meaning no mods?

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
So, uh, does that mean no graphics settings? If you are playing the Xbox version, is everyone playing the exact same version, no matter what their PC specs are? Are the game files now protected meaning no mods?

Yes. This will be same exact game as xbox version and i assume you will need at minimum xbox game pad.
Though i expect future games after this program will launch will include more options for people who play on PC or other devices, adding check if something is on pc, mobile or console seems like easy thing to do.

So for now barebones console version while in future more options and more input options.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
Does this include BC games or just native Xbox One releases?

For now it is just state of decay for testing.

But the point is that this is native xbox games which are run so everything xbox one does would come to PC including BC which itself is emulated not run on separate hardware. So Read dead for PC and all other unreleased games which never made to PC.

Imho everything points out that they will be pushing hard for gamepass as netflix of gaming, so having access from anywhere is key in that strategy and imho they could seriously do decent in coming next gen console war.

Last edited:

[Asmodean]

Does this include BC games or just native Xbox One releases?

I suspect they are using ether a full blown emulator or a kind of hybrid emu/compatibility wrapper for intercepting Xbox-specific API calls etc. If this was included (which would be amazing) it would be an emulator, emulating an emulator, etc.

Emuception?

At any rate, if so; it would be mega slow and require obscene hardware to run lol

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
At any rate, if so; it would be mega slow and require obscene hardware to run lol

Nope.
The difference here is that Xbox One is basically PC so they will be probably using same calls for standard directX games on PC with just some modifications. That was the whole point behind their DirectX12 initiative on Xbox.

Joking aside, what Xbox exclusives aren't on PC anyway?

Forza 5 and 6 . Halo 4. But this is not about just exclusives that either way would be coming.
This is about gamepass mostlly and getting all other games that do not come to PC at all, especially if you look at BC catalog there are games that were never released on PC like red dead redemption.

The whole point of doing it is gamepass. This is the same reason why there are rumors about Switch version of xbox app.

Right now on PC gamepass aside from new ms exlusives is worthless but on native xbox console it is pretty good deal.
With such change developers could release their game on xbox service and it would be instantly available to all devices not just home consoles.

Last edited:

M0G

This is really interesting and however much I want to catch up on the Halo games past Halo 4 I'm not sure I can get excited for this. It would have to render at native resolutions and allow at least some room for tweaking. I don't know if I could go back to playing FPS on controllers for instance, I did it for Destiny 1 and it was fucking hell lol. Then there's... Windows Store. I'd just want to be able to stick the disk in the drive to get around that and we all know that won't be happening. The frustration of knowing there's an actual XBone emulator built into the OS is a killer and I'm guessing it's not gonna be at all accessible for manipulation at least for a long time. I dream of somebody leaking this and somebody releasing something that could emulate from disk on the community's terms.

TLZ

Banned
Microsoft will transform every platform it installs its service on into Xbox. Your PCs and your Switches will become Xboxs.

Hide your PC. Hide your Switch.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Well. As long as it's in the Xbox ecosystem, then it means that even though people are playing on pc they still only play against Xbox players or pc players in the same system.

Instead of people needing an Xbox One to play with their XO friends they can turn their pc into basically an Xbox One.

You need to really be against consumer friendliness to see this as a bad thing.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Well, if this does mean everything on PC (including 360 BC), I'll be selling my 1X. But I'd be super fucking impressed if it got to that point. I can see this being only for X1 games onwards, which is already really cool.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
At this point in time I’m pretty sure Microsoft could tell you that you get a free Xbox with every view of Phils Twitter profile plus a thousand bucks and you would STILL find a way to spin it in a negative light.

You stay classy, Sony Gaf.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

Awesome. This is what i want from gaming and the reason i have my gaming rig.

Now if only Sony would do something similar.....

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
kinda cool but if i can't play at higher graphics/performance than an Xbox One X then what's the point?

why not just target Windows and let us adjust settings. after that just gimp the game for consoles.

Gamezone

Gold Member
kinda cool but if i can't play at higher graphics/performance than an Xbox One X then what's the point?

why not just target Windows and let us adjust settings. after that just gimp the game for consoles.

As I mentioned, State of Decay is in testing, and you can adjust graphical settings.

M0G

Bottom line is it's better than a kick in the face. Nothing lost by this being there, it's just natural to want more when more is possible I guess.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
A bigger question to ask is would this be digital titles you own only (likely) or would it allow disk based licence checking too?

Gamezone

Gold Member
A bigger question to ask is would this be digital titles you own only (likely) or would it allow disk based licence checking too?

Probably not on PC. I guess it's too much work considering how few desktop PCs that actually have optical drives.

Physical media on next generation consoles will probably be delivered on UHD discs.

DanielsM

Banned
At this point in time I’m pretty sure Microsoft could tell you that you get a free Xbox with every view of Phils Twitter profile plus a thousand bucks and you would STILL find a way to spin it in a negative light.

You stay classy, Sony Gaf.

Its not spin positive or negative. Xbox as a console is over, generally speaking going forward, Xbox is now a platform service.

This was predicted years ago, the Xbox console people would get mad when people would talk about, why? Well, there is no reason for dev/pubs to target the Xbox as a console, at some point you're basically targeting the Microsoft Store which those pubs/devs don't want. And console gamers generally don't want.

Last edited:

Viliger

Does that mean that backwards compatible games would be on Win10? As far as I know you download said games off their servers when you put the disk in.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Does the Xbox version have settings? Wonder how they are accomplishing this, are there different builds of the Xbox version maybe?

Evidence suggests that State of Decay is pulled from the Xbox Store, but they have obviously done something, because I'm able to adjust both graphics and resolution. I don't know how they do this. It could also be the Steam version added to the MS Store as a part of the Xbox ecosystem.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Does that mean that backwards compatible games would be on Win10? As far as I know you download said games off their servers when you put the disk in.

Phil Spencer have previously mentioned emulation for older Xbox games on PC, but that's a while back.

DanielsM

Banned
For now it is just state of decay for testing.

But the point is that this is native xbox games which are run so everything xbox one does would come to PC including BC which itself is emulated not run on separate hardware. So Read dead for PC and all other unreleased games which never made to PC.

Imho everything points out that they will be pushing hard for gamepass as netflix of gaming, so having access from anywhere is key in that strategy and imho they could seriously do decent in coming next gen console war.

Hm, I would say they will crater their exist customer base further i.e. Xbox as a Console customers, people will now flood the market with Xbox One Xs. Dev/pubs now have to decide whether they are going to publish to the Microsoft Store because essentially that is where everything will be going forward. I wouldn't be surprised, if the large publishers stop targeting Xbox going into next-gen. We'll see.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Just for reference, here is a list of Xbone only exclusives (So not a timed exclusive, released on another console/PC, etc)

Digital only
  • Action News Heroes (Krewe Studios)
  • Air Guitar Warrior: Gamepad Edition (Virtual Air Guitar Company)
  • Ben-Hur (AOL)
  • Bike Mayhem 2 (Goldmark Studios)
  • Clash (FennecFox Entertainment)
  • Crimson Dragon (Microsoft)
  • Factotum 90 (TACS Games)
  • Forza Horizon 2 Presents Fast & Furious (Microsoft)
  • i, Zombie (Awesome Games Studio)
  • Korgan (Codestalkers)
  • Lies of Astaroth (iFree Studio)
  • Lilith-M (E-Home Entertainment Development)
  • Perfect Woman (Peter Lu & Lea Schonfelder)
  • RevErsi Quest (Pollyanna)
  • Robocraft Infinity (Freejam)
  • Sixty Second Shooter Prime (Happion Labs)
  • Stranger of Sword City (Experience, Inc.)
  • Vigor [Game Preview] (Bohemia Interactive)
  • Voice Commander (Microsoft)
  • Wheelspin Frenzy (Mental Moose Games)
  • Xbox Fitness (Microsoft)
  • Your Toy (E-Home Entertainment Development)
  • Zombie Driver Ultimate Edition (EXOR Studios)

Retail
  • [Import] Azito x Tatsunoko Legends (Hamster)
  • Fantasia: Music Evolved (Disney Interactive)
  • Forza Horizon 2 (Microsoft)
  • Forza Motorsport 5 (Microsoft)
  • Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Microsoft)
  • Halo 5: Guardians (Microsoft)
  • Powerstar Golf (Microsoft)
  • Rare Replay (Microsoft)
  • ScreamRide (Microsoft)
  • Zoo Tycoon (Microsoft)

Not looking like an alluring lineup, in my tastes.
Ref: https://gematsu.com/exclusives/xbox-one

bati

Just for reference, here is a list of Xbone only exclusives (So not a timed exclusive, released on another console/PC, etc)

Digital only
  • Action News Heroes (Krewe Studios)
  • Air Guitar Warrior: Gamepad Edition (Virtual Air Guitar Company)
  • Ben-Hur (AOL)
  • Bike Mayhem 2 (Goldmark Studios)
  • Clash (FennecFox Entertainment)
  • Crimson Dragon (Microsoft)
  • Factotum 90 (TACS Games)
  • Forza Horizon 2 Presents Fast & Furious (Microsoft)
  • i, Zombie (Awesome Games Studio)
  • Korgan (Codestalkers)
  • Lies of Astaroth (iFree Studio)
  • Lilith-M (E-Home Entertainment Development)
  • Perfect Woman (Peter Lu & Lea Schonfelder)
  • RevErsi Quest (Pollyanna)
  • Robocraft Infinity (Freejam)
  • Sixty Second Shooter Prime (Happion Labs)
  • Stranger of Sword City (Experience, Inc.)
  • Vigor [Game Preview] (Bohemia Interactive)
  • Voice Commander (Microsoft)
  • Wheelspin Frenzy (Mental Moose Games)
  • Xbox Fitness (Microsoft)
  • Your Toy (E-Home Entertainment Development)
  • Zombie Driver Ultimate Edition (EXOR Studios)

Retail
  • [Import] Azito x Tatsunoko Legends (Hamster)
  • Fantasia: Music Evolved (Disney Interactive)
  • Forza Horizon 2 (Microsoft)
  • Forza Motorsport 5 (Microsoft)
  • Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Microsoft)
  • Halo 5: Guardians (Microsoft)
  • Powerstar Golf (Microsoft)
  • Rare Replay (Microsoft)
  • ScreamRide (Microsoft)
  • Zoo Tycoon (Microsoft)

Not looking like an alluring lineup, in my tastes.
Ref: https://gematsu.com/exclusives/xbox-one

Sweet Jesus what is Microsoft doing? They desperately need some Bloodborne tier exclusives, I can't imagine anyone buying an entire system just to play one of the titles listed above.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Sweet Jesus what is Microsoft doing? They desperately need some Bloodborne tier exclusives, I can't imagine anyone buying an entire system just to play one of the titles listed above.
To be 100% honest, I was amped for this and went to look up the titles of exclusives I couldn't play on my PC/PS4/Switch and well...
I should have understood that concept better since my buddy who is a pure XBro bought a PS4 recently and it sounds like he plays that more than his Xbone now.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
It's a matter of taste. I can't imagine getting a Playstation because all of their exclusives don't interest me.

DanielsM

Banned
It's a matter of taste. I can't imagine getting a Playstation because all of their exclusives don't interest me.

And Microsoft exclusives can be played on a PC, exclusivity is basically over for them. Xbox as a Console is no longer a thing, not really. My guess is 3rd parties that have traditionally targeted Xbox probably will be rethinking their strategy i.e. EA, Ubisoft, Activision, etc.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Didn't Microsoft announce it is no longer Microsoft Game Studios, that it's Xbox Game Studios regardless of platform? So would make sense if they put all their assets on a same name server now, no?

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
If I get to play RDR on my PC (native, no streaming bullshit), then MS is my hero.

Norse

I think it's just going to include Xbox game pass titles. I don't think they are going to allow all Xbox games on PC. Not yet anyway.

DanielsM

Banned
I think it's just going to include Xbox game pass titles. I don't think they are going to allow all Xbox games on PC. Not yet anyway.

Okay, so you have to pay (Game Pass) to play it on your own hardware (processing on your own device)? Yet, if you own the game, you can't play it?

Last edited:

Norse

Okay, so you have to pay (Game Pass) to play it on your own hardware (processing on your own device)? Yet, if you own the game, you can't play it?
Just because you own 300 DVD movies doesn't mean you can play the digital version of them off Netflix even though you own it. Need to subscribe. And even Netflix may not have all of your DVD movies.

Last edited:

Fbh

If this lets me play the MCC on PC then cool. Unless it's tied to some subscription service

Esppiral

People seems to forget that there are also games exclusively released on consoles like Red dead Redemption or Kingdom Hearts III... Just saying...

DanielsM

Banned
Just because you own 300 DVD movies doesn't mean you can play the digital version of them off Netflix even though you own it. Need to subscribe. And even Netflix may not have all of your DVD movies.

Yeah but I can play them on my Windows machine and I can convert them into digital. Why would I want to play my 300 DVDs off of Netflix? LOL

So, its a paywall to where you have to pay them a subscription to do what the machine already can do, and people call me crazy when I tell them eventually they will be paying a monthly Windows subscription. I'm just asking the question.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
Give me the complete library and let me skip launcher hell on PC. I will even move from Steam to Xbox.

Aren117

Joking aside, what Xbox exclusives aren't on PC anyway?

From Xbox One? Just about 5-6 left, from the top of my head: Halo MCC, Halo 5, Forza Horizon 2 (the best one), Crimson Dragon, Rare Replay and Powerstar Golf.

There is a bunch of OG Xbox and Xbox 360 exclusives too that would be nice to have on PC: Gears of War 2 and 3, Fable 2, Ninja Gaiden Black, Panzer Dragoon Orta, the Conker remake too. Some console exclusives like Black (the FPS) and some games that I'd like to play with gamepads like the Star Wars games (KOTOR, mainly).

Top Bottom