• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft allows for native Xbox games in latest beta Windows 10 Update, State of Decay for free for testers.

JLB

Banned
Joking aside, what Xbox exclusives aren't on PC anyway?
To my mind comes halo mcc, halo 5, sunset overdrive?, and plenty of xbox 360 games.

This is fantastic. I presume that some devs will develop for xbox as primary platform, and then make ot avail on pc through this.

DanielsM

Banned
To my mind comes halo mcc, halo 5, sunset overdrive?, and plenty of xbox 360 games.

This is fantastic. I presume that some devs will develop for xbox as primary platform, and then make ot avail on pc through this.

I would imagine most large 3rd parties (generally speaking) would ditch the Xbox going forward, meaning once new hardware is announced. There is limited to no reason I can think of for the large software groups to target Xbox going forward. Most of them have their own stores, basically all this does is open up the closed system - large dev/pubs are already targeting Win10 users, for the most part.

Last edited:

Rodolink

I think this is awesome and natural for Microsoft to do. Untying the XBox brand from the hardware and making rather their own gaming ecosystem.

JLB

Banned
I would imagine most large 3rd parties (generally speaking) would ditch the Xbox going forward, meaning once new hardware is announced. There is limited to no reason I can think of for the large software groups to target Xbox going forward. Most of them have their own stores, basically all this does is open up the closed system - large dev/pubs are already targeting Win10 users, for the most part.

Theres like 6 or 7 stores, and thousands on dev studios though. For a small dev team, looks like a great idea to develop for xbox, and get a pc version for free.
Anyway, its too early to make conclusions.

Norse

Yeah but I can play them on my Windows machine and I can convert them into digital. Why would I want to play my 300 DVDs off of Netflix? LOL

So, its a paywall to where you have to pay them a subscription to do what the machine already can do, and people call me crazy when I tell them eventually they will be paying a monthly Windows subscription. I'm just asking the question.
We are just throwing out ideas of what we think the beta is all about. Some think it means you'll be able to play all your Xbox games on PC and others like myself think it's just a test for the pc game pass subscription service that will allow Xbox game pass subscribers to play on pc. We will find out at e3 I'm guessing.

DanielsM

Banned
Theres like 6 or 7 stores, and thousands on dev studios though. For a small dev team, looks like a great idea to develop for xbox, and get a pc version for free.
Anyway, its too early to make conclusions.

Well, oh but we have a very good record the present Microsoft Store and Games for Windows Live. Any small team can select where they want to go, its where the masses go, not really too much reason for them to publish or target the MS Store. How do I know, they would already be doing it.

I think its a tough sell, but we will see.

This does change things, if true, devs/pubs would no longer really have a reason to target Xbox as a Hardware, if they are not presently in the MS Store, not sure there is any reason for them to change now. Most launchers actually support Win7, have much more customers, is already built, and if a pub is doing the launcher they keep all the money.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
The chances of those devs/pubs rethinking their strategy I would imagine is very high.

They don't have to rethink anything. MS could simply tell them that their game have to be on PC if they want to be a part of their ecosystem.

DanielsM

Banned
They don't have to rethink anything. MS could simply tell them that their game have to be on PC if they want to be a part of their ecosystem.

My guess is most will walk. :) They can already target Win10 users and don't need MS's permission. We'll see, if this is announced.

There just isn't much to gain (and probably more to lose) for most of the big players, which is why most of it isn't on the Microsoft Store now.

Microsoft basically threw the Xbox as a Close Hardware under the bus, anyone can distribute to Win10.

Last edited:

Meh3D

Nope.
The difference here is that Xbox One is basically PC so they will be probably using same calls for standard directX games on PC with just some modifications. That was the whole point behind their DirectX12 initiative on Xbox...

That is a rather naive take on DX12. Yes, it was a bullet point and one targeted for ease of development. However, that is just one aspect marketed to certain developers. DX12’s marquee feature was allowing developers deeper control of the GPU or in the context of Xbox development, the Xbox SoC. (Guessing people are forgetting about Mantle.)

So what am I trying to say here is they’re testing this out and not everything will work just because it uses DX12 or x86.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Welp that it ladies and gents, Microsoft is assimilating all of the devices. Next thing you know your fridge will be playing the Halo Theme song everytime you open it.

LOL no but for real, Sony is trying to do the same thing...they have to. They won't be able to keep up otherwise.

If you don't embrace this you officially are living in the past, so get used to it. It's about platforms, not consoles. An era is ending right before our very eyes.

DanielsM

Banned
I would imagine the possibility of OEM Xbox branded (licensed and approved specs) Windows PCs. I don't doubt the rumor of the Xbox Two for 2020, but I would think the next step is just turn those into the ability to run full Win10 (but that is kind of letting the cat out of the bag). I would imagine custom hardware is still needed at least for the time being because of the prior physical discs for Xbox One, but if they don't offer a disc player in them, straight to Stage 3, more or less.

1. Physical Media Users -> 2. Dual Physical/Digital Users -> 3. All Digital Users -> 4. Dual Digital/Cloud Users -> 5. All Cloud Users (where your digital collection can be played via subscription service or rent)

Currently in Stage 2 and they are wanting to move you to Stage 3. (Boil frogs slowly, but it sounds like they are going to turn up the temperature shortly)

Its more about the eventually moving strictly cloud than Console vs. PC, imo. Its just a step.

Last edited:

Pejo

I'm actually really excited about this news. Now all they need to do is a complete fucking rehaul of Windows Store for gaming (fix download speeds as one of the biggest issues), and we're set.

DanielsM

Banned
I'm actually really excited about this news. Now all they need to do is a complete fucking rehaul of Windows Store for gaming (fix download speeds as one of the biggest issues), and we're set.

Hm, exactly what they have been doing for 12 years, and that is just for the Stores. Rinse and repeat as they say, I updated some newer ones at the end of that thread, its like they just keep passing the same script with the exact same wording from person to person. I wish you the best of luck.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/ms-p...party-games-to-pc.710494/page-4#post-88868188

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
My guess is most will walk. :) They can already target Win10 users and don't need MS's permission. We'll see, if this is announced.

There just isn't much to gain (and probably more to lose) for most of the big players, which is why most of it isn't on the Microsoft Store now.

Microsoft basically threw the Xbox as a Close Hardware under the bus, anyone can distribute to Win10.

They don't have to walk. They can keep their own PC clients even if their games are on MS Store.

If they put their games on XCloud, people will have access to them on every device anyway.

NickFire

kinda cool but if i can't play at higher graphics/performance than an Xbox One X then what's the point?

why not just target Windows and let us adjust settings. after that just gimp the game for consoles.
That's the thing. If they successfully merge Xbox and PC, you can buy the game and do whatever you want. Prefer simplicity - play on a console. Want to tweak things more than closed systems allow, play on PC. I'm a PS4 only player, but have seen this coming and I think its a brilliant idea. They have not been able to successfully dominate the sales of games for either their Xbox or PC store, and being the first to merge gives them a possible big selling point against the market leaders of both console and PC.

Does not do much for me as a non-PC player, but I know I am in the minority being console only. and my kids play both and on Switch, and on ios which I have no doubt will be integrated too. That they are even making inroads on Switch is surprising to me, but in a good way.

As of now they haven't convinced me I will be switching back (was Xbox only since OG Xbox came out until PS4), but if Sony doesn't let me play my PS4 digital catalog for free on PS5, the benefits to the kids from switching back to Xbox will outweigh the exclusives advantage of PS to me.

This is how you lose in console sales I guess....
At the end of the day is anyone but Nintendo really profiting much just from console sales? I'm pretty sure software and services are where the money is at with consoles as the foot in the door. Maybe this will hurt console sales, maybe not, but if they sell more software than before they won't care either way I bet how many console units they move. Just my guess anyway.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
They don't have to walk. They can keep their own PC clients even if their games are on MS Store.

If they put their games on XCloud, people will have access to them on every device anyway.

They already supply their PC clients software through other launchers, the big ones have their own, they've (devs/pubs/gamers) have had literally 12 years to use Microsoft's distribution stores. The Microsoft Store is just one of many, its an actually worse situation than Games for Windows Live as really back then it was only really Steam (generally) as competition.

Nobody gives a shit about game streaming, but if they did, and it could make money they would just develop their own streaming service and keep all the money. Some are already talking about it i.e. Ubisoft. At the end of the day, the device manufacturers are going to have a big say so as to who can launch a streaming service i.e. Apple won't allow Valve streaming, at least the last time I checked.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Gamezone, additional information, not that I believe game streaming will be a profitable business, but no reason for the big publishers to give money to Microsoft money for an open platform, generally speaking. Say a publisher wants game streaming and does't want to do it all themselves, they could partner with Microsoft, but they can also partner Sony, Google, Apple (rumors), Amazon, etc.

EA game streaming
https://www.datacenterdynamics.com/...-video-game-streaming-platform-project-atlas/
Ubisoft partners with Google
https://news.ubisoft.com/en-us/article/336036/Ubisoft-and-Google-Partner-for-Project-Stream

Microsoft is going to have to compete in the real world. Generally, Microsoft is just one of many. As far as the big publishers, I don't see much incentive to publish to the MS Store if they are not already, they have a reason why they haven't.

Please don't take this to mean I think believe game streaming will actually be a huge deal - I don't feel that way at all, but even if its does Microsoft doesn't even have a service yet.

Last edited:
So, uh, does that mean no graphics settings? If you are playing the Xbox version, is everyone playing the exact same version, no matter what their PC specs are? Are the game files now protected meaning no mods?
The State of Decay build deployed on PC through this program has graphics settings. It also installed Direct X outside of UWP encapsulation.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
If it literally would be an XBO native game with no settings, you can easily set up a PC just for that purpose with nearly the same spec as an XBO (Radeon HD 7790, for instance).

Then again, it would basically be an XBO, just probably more expensive to buy new and a hassle to buy used all in all (especially regarding size.)

Gamezone

Gold Member
So, uh, does that mean no graphics settings? If you are playing the Xbox version, is everyone playing the exact same version, no matter what their PC specs are? Are the game files now protected meaning no mods?

That would be emulation. State of Decay isn't, and it's the only game they are experimenting with right now.

DanielsM

Banned
So it's like UWP but even worse

Okay, never thought about that way (about fell out of my chair), but I would suspect yes. I think it brings in more problems than it will ever solve and they probably fucked over the purely traditional Xbox user, or I think many of them will feel this way. Its very interesting to watch though. My guess, lots of announcements at E3 or in the coming months, they'll be articles and articles about how great everything is - on that I am pretty certain. (Than one day it will all sink in to Little Johnny)

Willy-Wonka-remake.jpg

Last edited:

M0G

Has Red Dead Redemption 1 been confirmed for PC? ...

I keep forgetting about this as it's now so long ago but for me this would be so sweet. Even if I can just play it on a PC with a native 1080p resolution that would be killer. Hell if you add 4K and Reshade into the mix and this is gonna be awesome. Anything more than that is just icing on the cake.

Hell if I could just get the XB360 version of SWOS on the go again I would be thrilled.

GreenAlien

I'm not sure I like this development. It would be great to get access to some old exclusives, but I would also like to keep getting games that are optimized for PC and I fear some developers will use this as an excuse not to bother.

Last edited:

M0G

I'm not sure I like this development. It would be great to get access to some old exclusives, but I would also like to keep getting games that are optimized for PC and I fear some developers will use this as an excuse not to bother.

While I am concerned a little about this myself I am not too worried about this at this point. A lot of people aren't going to touch this with a ten foot bargepole and other will treat it as a novelty and only if the price is right. Games sell well on PC hence why most games still make it to the platform even if some of the ports aren't perfect. This is a long way off causing an issue imo.

DanielsM

Banned

I suspect the opposite, if this is true. They (developers/publishers/licensees) may or maybe not allow their past Xbox games to be able to be played on Win10, I assume Microsoft would need permission. Going forward past Xbox One, what incentive is there for the developers/publishers to target Xbox Two (Next) in the future? For the big guys, it would make less sense to target Xbox going forward, really what they would be doing is targeting the Microsoft Store and UWP. Most of the devs/pubs/gamers avoid the Microsoft, other than the pure Xbox user, generally speaking.

EA, Ubisoft, Valve, Activision, Bethesda, etc. already have delivery pipelines and they don't need Microsoft to deliver to their Win10 users, matter of fact, those guys can and still do deliver to Win7 customers which Microsoft isn't. So, Microsoft is moving your Xbox games out of the Xbox console and on to Win10, more or less, this gives the marginal user less incentive to buy Xbox hardware going forward and gives big devs/pubs limited reason to target the Xbox as a Hardware going forward into next-gen. My take your fears are probably not warranty, but for traditional Xbox hardware users - I can't say I like your future. Xbox as a Hardware is gone, that doesn't mean they won't release new hardware but really Xbox is wherever they put it. Microsoft doubled down on the Microsoft Store and UWP plus game streaming, at the expense of the traditional Xbox hardware user, imo.

When you see their (Microsoft) PR guy showing off his Nintendo Switch equipment on twitter, you gotta know its the end of what was, generally speaking.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
I suspect they are using ether a full blown emulator or a kind of hybrid emu/compatibility wrapper for intercepting Xbox-specific API calls etc. If this was included (which would be amazing) it would be an emulator, emulating an emulator, etc.

Emuception?

At any rate, if so; it would be mega slow and require obscene hardware to run lol
Yeah, no. There's am article out there that says this isn't emulation. Its something else - can't be sure of the name of it though.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Why are people surprised the game has graphical quality settings? It’s a simple flag. It’s no different than our own game, which essentially says if you’re using gamepad, use X image, if not use Y image. Pretty simple stuff. In this case it’s if using console, hide menu. If not, show menu. Not hard.

ethomaz

Banned
I suspect they are using ether a full blown emulator or a kind of hybrid emu/compatibility wrapper for intercepting Xbox-specific API calls etc. If this was included (which would be amazing) it would be an emulator, emulating an emulator, etc.

Emuception?

At any rate, if so; it would be mega slow and require obscene hardware to run lol
Original Xbox games are native x86.

No emulation required to play on PC... they can run the native code... of course they needs some profiling tests for best performance.

Xbox is a Pentium III @ 733Mhz + GeForce 3 @ 233Mhz.

Now Xbox 360 games will need emulation... the same used for BC in XB1.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Another blow to non gaming pc xbox gamers. Just takes away the pool of people to play in multiplayer games. I can't see anyone with xbox wanting to play against anyone with a unregulated pc version with aimbot software and any other mods they please. So phil can sell game pass to all 3 PC players who are interested to RIP out the xbox 360 emulator or troll console gamers with aim bots and God mods. If I was a 3rd party I would forbid my games to be released like this. I won't play any online game that I cant cut off players using this mode. So frustrating ms going after a Almost non existent market at the cost of thier core market.

DanielsM

Banned
Another blow to non gaming pc xbox gamers. Just takes away the pool of people to play in multiplayer games. I can't see anyone with xbox wanting to play against anyone with a unregulated pc version with aimbot software and any other mods they please. So phil can sell game pass to all 3 PC players who are interested to RIP out the xbox 360 emulator or troll console gamers with aim bots and God mods. If I was a 3rd party I would forbid my games to be released like this. I won't play any online game that I cant cut off players using this mode. So frustrating ms going after a Almost non existent market at the cost of thier core market.

Wait till you see what they do to Windows, if users continue to refuse to buy UWP from the Microsoft Store and the big publishers don't put their products (all software, not just games) in there. Eventually, there is going to be some very big fireworks there - people, meaning business/enterprise need to start preparing or at least start to understand the long-term risks.

The services are only getting started on the Windows/Xbox front, people are not going to be happy, imo. Hardware and local OS support are or will become optional or much less important.

microservices-based-application-integration-for-saas-hybrid-clouds-and-iot-2-638.jpg

Last edited:
Another blow to non gaming pc xbox gamers. Just takes away the pool of people to play in multiplayer games. I can't see anyone with xbox wanting to play against anyone with a unregulated pc version with aimbot software and any other mods they please. So phil can sell game pass to all 3 PC
players who are interested to RIP out the xbox 360 emulator or troll console gamers with aim bots and God mods. If I was a 3rd party I would forbid my games to be released like this. I won't play any online game that I cant cut off players using this mode. So frustrating ms going after a Almost non existent market at the cost of thier core market.

PC Gamers want to deny cheating and say its rare. But Apex Legends has proven so many cheaters i actually switched from pc to Xbox One x

Last edited:

scalman

so instead of pc version of that game with lots settings controls and video , you will get to play xbox versions of it without no settings at all to play it at xbox resolution ? yes xbox still have like ...couple exclusives and they are older games. but just couple of them. in future all xbox game will be pc games too... so what this gives ? if it gives original xbox and x360 games then yh its cool, but xbox one ... nah

Arun1910

Thankfully Sunset is on PC now, came out late last year.

LostDonkey

so instead of pc version of that game with lots settings controls and video , you will get to play xbox versions of it without no settings at all to play it at xbox resolution ? yes xbox still have like ...couple exclusives and they are older games. but just couple of them. in future all xbox game will be pc games too... so what this gives ? if it gives original xbox and x360 games then yh its cool, but xbox one ... nah
This has already been addressed I believe with State Of Decay which, unless im mistaken, is the first game to be launched like this and has a settings menu on PC.

Last edited:
Personally I hope they develop for PC then scale down for Xbox.

scalman

im waiting until they show whats real benefit from this for win 10 users, playing all xbox games from xbox to x1 would be something. still to buy old games for full prices is not seem logical to me, they should cost cheap or be some kind of month pay and choose from list or smt.

Its not spin positive or negative. Xbox as a console is over, generally speaking going forward, Xbox is now a platform service.

This was predicted years ago, the Xbox console people would get mad when people would talk about, why? Well, there is no reason for dev/pubs to target the Xbox as a console, at some point you're basically targeting the Microsoft Store which those pubs/devs don't want. And console gamers generally don't want.
You have no Idea about what you are saying. The whole Idea is to not tie down the games people love to one specific box. The idea is to give the widest option to players to play their favorite game where and whenever they on what ever device they choose. Whether it is on the plane at school on the toilet in bed on vacation it won't matter going forward. #Thinkalittle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom