• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft and Sony have flipped haven't they?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Won't acknowledge Returnal as a new AAA IP but lists Everwild

You're too obvious OP

No, Returnal is a new IP, from a smaller independant studio that has around 90 employees.

Rare is a Microsoft first party studio with over 200 employees. The level of investment is not the same.

I'm not docking Sony because of Returnal. I'm docking them because I feel they're tasking the bulk of their development prowess on safe franchise games.

Hopefully I'm wrong. I'm hoping Sony has another event in August where they show off some new, more ambitious games. We might get that. We might not.

Just sharing what I've noticed this far.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Somewhere during the second half of the XBox 360 generation a lot of people soured on the XBox brand. MS became known for pumping out Halo, Gears, Forza, and Fable. They created two large studios and "locked" them to franchises that had become long in the tooth (The Coalition and 343). PlayStation became known as the company that got out of the way of it's developers. A lot of gamers appreciated that direction from Sony.

Fast forward to June 11th. Sony reveals their PS5 by showcasing...the 9th Ratchet and Clank game, the 8th Gran Turismo game, a Demons Souls remake, a hurried Spider Man sequel, and a Horizon sequel (not hurried, thank God). There's poorly kept secrets that a new God of War is underway as well as another Uncharted studio in San Diego. It seems the bulk of Sony's first party developers are now tasked with creating sequels.

Microsoft on the other hand has completely rebooted Halo, given The Coalition the green light on a new IP, funded Rare to make new IP in Sea of Thieves and EverWild. They created a studio in The Initiative to create "new and innovative game experiences". They're letting Playground make a well rested Fable game. InXile and Obsidian are making new AAA RPGs. They're the home of Tim Schaefer who embodies creativity.

Now before anyone says "But MS is still making X franchise and Sony is making new franchises over here..." while true, that's missing my point.

Doesn't it feel that Sony is now the home of "safe established franchises" and Microsoft is letting their developers do new, creative stuff? Am I crazy or have these two juggernauts completely swapped over the last 5-10 years?

EDIT: I should have explained better. I meant to frame this conversation in the context of the next gen. I agree with people who say Sony supported interesting games at the end of the PS4s life.
I mean yes, but you can't make new IP or rebooted ones all the time. Sony dropped a crap ton of new IP as well as sustained their tried and true stuff this gen. GoT, GoW reboot, BloodBorne, the Last Guardian, Spiderman, Horizon etc. They still maintained some solid exclusive games from 2nd and 3rd party devs as well and then we still got TLOU2, Ratchet and Clank, and Uncharted 4 through out the gen.

Sony spent time during the PS3/360 gen building up their studios, much like Microsoft is now. So it's only natural that we see them make good on those investments and at least get a couple good sequels before moving on to new IP and/or reboots. Microsoft will do the same thing granted what they release is successful. I mean we're already getting a AAA Hellblade. Great game, still a sequel. Halo Infinite, could be categorized as a proper reboot,but need more info. Fable, if it exist, will most definitely be a reimagining of sorts. Xbox is getting some 3rd party love as well with the Medium and Scorn.

I mean it's just a cycle at this point. It's Microsoft's turn that's all.

fallingdove

Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes

Loving your pre-Microsoft conference marketing. 😂

If you think that Sony is only going to focus on a handful of franchises for PS5, you haven’t been paying attention to the last 4 generations. There is no flip flop, Microsoft is still trying to figure out how to catch up.

Sony is incredibly consistent putting out solid new IPs — and that’s regardless of whether they are being beaten or doing the beating.

Last edited:
No, nuance is allowed. We're all adults here.

I don't actually care about new IP. I care about the funding of interesting, ambitious, creative projects. New IP seems to embody those things more than franchises.

So no, I don't think I will confirm to your binary view of this premise.

I will give Sony and Sucker Punch some credit for releasing a new IP. I will not give them credit for releasing a derivative open world game.

I mean, I guess no one else here is confirming to YOUR binary view of this premise.

Lol my guy

No, Returnal is a new IP, from a smaller independant studio that has around 90 employees.

Rare is a Microsoft first party studio with over 200 employees. The level of investment is not the same.

I'm not docking Sony because of Returnal. I'm docking them because I feel they're tasking the bulk of their development prowess on safe franchise games.

Hopefully I'm wrong. I'm hoping Sony has another event in August where they show off some new, more ambitious games. We might get that. We might not.

Just because Rare is a 200 man studio does not mean Everwild is receiving a 200 man level of investment.

Returnal is a AAA IP. As stated by Housemarque. Their independence status is irrelevant too since its Sony footing the bill

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Just because Rare is a 200 man studio does not mean Everwild is receiving a 200 man level of investment.

Returnal is a AAA IP. As stated by Housemarque. Their independence status is irrelevant too since its Sony footing the bill

Just because Returnal is being made by a 90 man studio doesn't mean Returnal is receiving 90 man level of investment.

FunkMiller

No, it's really not.

It's more like I observed a shift in directions from Sony and Microsoft and wanted to discuss it.

That's all. It's that simple.

You see, this is what we call ‘confirmation bias’.

You are an XBox fan, and therefore, you’ll do a fair degree of cherry picking of facts that suit your natural worldview that Microsoft is the better, more creative company ‘now’.

The reply posts in this thread have repeatedly highlighted the fallacy of your position - most notably that you have no idea what positions Microsoft and Sony have for the next gen, because it hasn’t started yet. Any observations you may have made stem from your implicit biases.

Ultimately, the question you should ask yourself is ‘am I seeing things that aren’t really there, because of my preferences’. If you think the answer might possibly be yes, then maybe don’t create new threads about it.

Don‘t feel too bad though. Confirmation bias is something we’re all guilty of from time to time.

Last edited:

nowhat

I mean, yes it does. Or close to it. They don't have multiple teams. Unless Sony is paying them to sit on their ass the bulk of their studio is working on Returnal.
Yeah, Housemarque doesn't work on multiple games at the same time. As Sony is footing the bill, they surely are all involved. Personally, I'm quite interested to see how it turns out. I'm expecting it will be somewhat rough around the edges, but they are the masters of twin-stick bullet hell - it will be interesting to see how they can apply their craftmanship to a third-person shooter.

Perrott

Gold Member
Returnal is a mid scale game from a 2nd party studio.

We saw no new IP from Japan Studio at the PS5 event, just Astros Playroom.

We did not see Arrowheads game.

Destruction All Stars looks to be a smaller to mid tier scale game from independent studios Lucid and Wushu.

Maybe the new secret San Diego studio isn't making another Uncharted game. But they did post a job listing calling for help with "The next chapter in cinematic story telling", which sounds pretty f*cking Uncharted to me. Btw, how many units did Uncharted 4 sell? 16+ million. So yeah, maybe it is a new Uncharted game.

And, for the 7th time in this very thread, I AGREE that current gen Sony funded creative, ambitious projects. But again, I'm talking from the point of the PS5, not of the PS4.

I like you. You're a good person. But...

847eca56bc03a0a845c73b93916c33c2.jpg
Returnal its a first-party game by a third-party studio, but a Sony game nonetheless, and was publicly aknowledged as a AAA title from their developers; and while Destruction All Stars seems to be a smaller-scale effort, it is still a new IP and, once again, a Sony first-party game.

But you are right about something: that we didn't see Arrowhead's game and other titles that Japan Studio is working on besides Astro's Playroom... but you really thought that Sony would blow all of their load in one event? They have many more events coming up so they have to save some announcements, same as Microsoft - who are not going to unveil The Initiative's new game or The Coalition's new IP just yet, but the 8th Forza Motorsport, the 8th mainline Halo game, the 4th major game in the Fable franchise or a sequel to Psychonauts instead. But as there isn't - and shouldn't be - no problem with that, it shouldn't be any problem with Sony doing the same thing as well.

PresetError

Neophyte
Somewhere during the second half of the XBox 360 generation a lot of people soured on the XBox brand. MS became known for pumping out Halo, Gears, Forza, and Fable. They created two large studios and "locked" them to franchises that had become long in the tooth (The Coalition and 343). PlayStation became known as the company that got out of the way of it's developers. A lot of gamers appreciated that direction from Sony.

Fast forward to June 11th. Sony reveals their PS5 by showcasing...the 9th Ratchet and Clank game, the 8th Gran Turismo game, a Demons Souls remake, a hurried Spider Man sequel, and a Horizon sequel (not hurried, thank God). There's poorly kept secrets that a new God of War is underway as well as another Uncharted studio in San Diego. It seems the bulk of Sony's first party developers are now tasked with creating sequels.

Microsoft on the other hand has completely rebooted Halo, given The Coalition the green light on a new IP, funded Rare to make new IP in Sea of Thieves and EverWild. They created a studio in The Initiative to create "new and innovative game experiences". They're letting Playground make a well rested Fable game. InXile and Obsidian are making new AAA RPGs. They're the home of Tim Schaefer who embodies creativity.

Now before anyone says "But MS is still making X franchise and Sony is making new franchises over here..." while true, that's missing my point.

Doesn't it feel that Sony is now the home of "safe established franchises" and Microsoft is letting their developers do new, creative stuff? Am I crazy or have these two juggernauts completely swapped over the last 5-10 years?

EDIT: I should have explained better. I meant to frame this conversation in the context of the next gen. I agree with people who say Sony supported interesting games at the end of the PS4s life.

Xbox has never been the home of "safe established franchises" but certainly it wasn't during the 360 era. The Xbox 360 was released merely 4 years after the existence of the original XBox. Explain to me how do you achieve "safe established franchises" in 4 years.

From this perspective alone, the comparison is very shoehorned. Maybe it's harder to understand inside the USA but the golden era of Xbox360 never reached many, many parts of the world. Playstation has its own path and never changed that much because it keeps working. At least until now. We'll see what happens next gen. Playstation has had many successuful franchises since 1994 and its has no problem abandoning them when they stop selling or being exciting. If the PS4 showed us anything is Playstation still can generate successful new IP's.

Considering the God of War reboot a safe move but praising the freshness of an unpublished Halo reboot is a little biased, don't you think? Spider-Man is a new IP, Horizon is a new IP, as were Bloodborne, InFAMOUS, Detroit Become Human, Days Gone, Death Stranding or Ghost of Tsushima. Implying they are already as stale as Halo, Gears, Forza is a little bit ridiculous IMO.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You see, this is what we call ‘confirmation bias’.

You are an XBox fan, and therefore, you’ll do a fair degree of cherry picking of facts that suit your natural worldview that Microsoft is the better, more creative company ‘now’.

The reply posts in this thread have repeatedly highlighted the fallacy of your position - most notably that you have no idea what positions Microsoft and Sony have for the next gen, because it hasn’t started yet. Any observations you may have made stem from your implicit biases.

Ultimately, the question you should ask yourself is ‘am I seeing things that aren’t really there, because of my preferences’. If you think the answer might possibly be yes, then maybe don’t create new threads about it.

Don‘t feel too bad though. Confirmation bias is something we’re all guilty of from time to time.

I'm an XBox fan who's last XBox I owned was the OG XBox. I'm an XBox fan who purchased all four PlayStation consoles at or near launch. I'm an XBox fan who subscribed to the notion that XBox was a Halo, Forza, and Gears factory, who disliked Halo and Gears and was indifferent towards Forza. I'm an XBox fan who's preferred new IP and creative/ambitious projects for the last 20+ years of my life.

Sony must love XBox fans like me.

Or maybe I'm just allowed to observe shifts in the industry and realize the only constant in nature is change itself?

LarknThe4th

I feel like Sony will continue doing what they do(invest in new I.P and try and continue their existing ones where applicable) it's been a devastating combo and their houses and leadership should be applauded for what they have achieved

Microsoft are in the process of trying to do what Sony are doing so no I would say that Microsoft are showing good signs that they are serious about first party(they have been wanting in past gens, so hot and cold)

But I would say a good equivalent for Microsoft now would be Sony at the start of the PS3 lots of potential but a lot of work to do I'm excited about their prospects, not everyday you get a huge company outright say they want to invest in marquee titles that will drive console sales, we will all be better off for it

But Sony are second only to Nintendo in this industry when it comes to publishing strategy and production

Perrott

Gold Member
Just because Returnal is being made by a 90 man studio doesn't mean Returnal is receiving 90 man level of investment.
... you sure about that?
Housemarque said:
So now we are focused on delivering our most ambitious and biggest game to date, putting every other project on hold, including the development of Stormdivers. It is great that the whole company can come together to deliver this game, which will define the next evolution of Housemarque.

Last edited:

stitch1

I think what you are seeing is Microsoft/Xbox get their heads back in the game. Sony has stayed the course with new unique games I mean Ghost of Tsushima just came out on Friday. This next gen should be great with both companies going at it strong from the get go.

Doesn't it feel that Sony is now the home of "safe established franchises" and Microsoft is letting their developers do new, creative stuff?

Am I crazy or have these two juggernauts completely swapped over the last 5-10 years?

It is too early to say what MS is going to do - so they certainly haven't switched positions when it comes to approach yet. Everything from MS has sounded great, but until we actually see the games, I think it is too early to say that MS has righted the wrongs of current gen.

The great thing is, we will see what MS brings in two days.

I don't really see Sony's approach/output changing much. They've always made sequels to big hits (just like everyone else), but they also release a lot of new IPs. If anything, this is a chance for MS to begin to do the same and get some parity. Things are pointing to that being the case. We'll see shortly.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

Wait you think Everwild will have more resources put into it than Returnal??

Fbh

This thread feels weird days after Sony just released a new AAA IP.
This gen the only Sony studio that felt like they were stuck making more of the same was Naughty Dog (and well Polyphony and San Diego, but that has always been their thing), and even then TLOU2 was only the second entry in the franchise, it's not like they've been making them for decades.

Guerilla: New IP with Horizon
Sucker Punch: New Ip with GOT
Media Molecule: New Ip with Teraway and Dreams
Japan Studio: New Ip with Knack (lol) and co developed new Ip Bloodborne and The Last Guardian (and Gravity Rush, though I think that'd be last gen)
Sony Bend: New Ip with Days Gone
Insomniac: Not really a new "IP" but a new franchise for the studio with Spiderman
Santa Monica: Not a new IP but a soft reboot of God of War with a significant shift in gameplay, storytelling and setting.

I'd wait and see how things turn out next gen. But I wouldn't call Sony the new "House of big established franchises" just because they didn't throw away every IP they own (some of which fairly new) on the first Ps5 presentation.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Goodness, it's only page 3 and we're already resorting to "but I own both consoles guys, I can't be a fanboy"

I don't own both consoles. The last time I owned an XBox was back in 2004/2005.

"Oh he married a black woman, and thinks he can't be racist".

It's funny. The left throws the racism term around till it's useless. Now you guys are throwing the troll term around till it's useless."

Is it possible that we just simply disagree on things? Let's try to consider that...

recursive

I don't care about studio quality, per say. This isn't about studio quality.

This is about Sony sticking their talent on long in the tooth IP and Microsoft sticking their talent on more interesting projects.

I have no qualms if someone says "Naughty Dog is super talented. Look at Uncharted 4 and TLoU2". It doesn't matter to me if that talent is making Uncharted 7 or TLoU3 as I'm well over those franchises.
Sounds like more of a matter of taste. Could say the same about halo, forza and gears.

Maybe you could list all of the MS exclusives from this gen that you believe are more interesting projects.

ZywyPL

Banned
Back in the old Gaf days a mod would came with a "no VS threads" post and close such thread. But i'll bite. No, Both companies have more or less equal situation, you forgot titles like Dreams, Detroit, Death Stranding, The Last Guardian, Shenmue 3 etc., granted, those games weren't a huge success, some even went almost completely unnoticed, but that doesn't change the fact that Sony does experiment and is not afraid of taking risk. Both companies have their well established heavy hitters like Halo, Gears, Forza, GoW, GT etc. while constantly trying new things on the side. Sony did screw up by closing many studios at the begining of this generation, but now they have Insomniac, and maybe something we haven't heard of yet. But if anything, I'd say it's the publishers like Ubi, Bethesda, EA etc. who are stuck in making the same games over and over and just slapping higher number in the title.

Azurro

Banned
Does not compute. Error: Sony literally just launched a new IP last week.

Also, how is Sony reviving a 10 year old franchise a bad thing? Demon's Souls was the highlight of the conference for me.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Sounds like more of a matter of taste. Could say the same about halo, forza and gears.

Maybe you could list all of the MS exclusives from this gen that you believe are more interesting projects.

For the (literally) 8th time.

I'm talking in terms of the next gen. Sony performed great this gen. Microsoft just went through a 6 year stretch of the darkest time in the history of XBox.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I don't own both consoles. The last time I owned an XBox was back in 2004/2005.

"Oh he married a black woman, and thinks he can't be racist".

It's funny. The left throws the racism term around till it's useless. Now you guys are throwing the troll term around till it's useless."

Is it possible that we just simply disagree on things? Let's try to consider that...
No, your schtick has been around for ~15 years. Back when it was PS3 vs Wii vs 360 the trolls would say "but I own all three consoles, I'm not a fanboy, I'm just expressing my opinion", which summarizes your sentiments here.

Is it possible you're an attention seeker? Let's try to consider that.... and in light of your post history, that's a bit closer to the truth anyway.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Imagine coming off from a generation where Sony debuted the likes of Bloodborne, Horizon Zero Dawn, Marvel Spiderman, Until Dawn, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, The Last Guardian, No Man's Sky, The Tomorrow Children, Alienation, Astrobot, Detroit Become Human, Concrete Genie, Days Gone, Death Stranding, Dreams, Ghost of Tsushima and more!

These aren't sequels.

I've seen you shitpost before about the last 7 years of Sony being horrible, clearly you're either an undercover troll or you're having a real hard time growing older. But that you're making some sort of perspective shift where somehow you're placing Microsoft at the wheel of delivering new exciting IP? And you mention Halo's reboot?

Lay it on a little thicker.

Dolomite

This OP is referencing the next gen...and yes. HaloForza and HB2 are the only confirmed sequels so far from the MS camp. Everything else is a new IP and that's exciting

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You're funny.

No, what you are seeing is MS catching up to Sony studios quality by buying talent en masse (which also has the side effect of removing third party developers from Sony platforms).

Both companies have always had safe IPs, and both have always had new IPs. Still, even during this gen, Sony took more risks with their first party.
I'm really impressed by ghost of tshushima. It doesn't exactly make a great first impression but the more i play the more i realize how no one bothered to set an open world game in Japan samurai age before.

The games open world design also makes me remember rdr2 for whatever reason. I have played a lot of open world games since rdr2 and this is the first game that's giving me rdr2 vibes. So it must be doing something right.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Imagine coming off from a generation where Sony debuted the likes of Bloodborne, Horizon Zero Dawn, Marvel Spiderman, Until Dawn, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, The Last Guardian, No Man's Sky, The Tomorrow Children, Alienation, Astrobot, Detroit Become Human, Concrete Genie, Days Gone, Death Stranding, Dreams, Ghost of Tsushima and more!

These aren't sequels.

I've seen you shitpost before about the last 7 years of Sony being horrible, clearly you're either an undercover troll or you're having a real hard time growing older. But that you're making some sort of perspective shift where somehow you're placing Microsoft at the wheel of delivering new exciting IP? And you mention Halo's reboot?

Lay it on a little thicker.

For the 10th time, I agree that Sony funded creative projects during the PS4 generation.
I'm talking strictly from the perspective of next gen.

Perhaps I'm just hyper sensative to franchise games...

Thirty7ven

Banned
For the 10th time, I agree that Sony funded creative projects during the PS4 generation.

No you don't. I know this because I posted in a thread about it where you complained otherwise.

I'm talking strictly from the perspective of next gen.

Perhaps I'm just hyper sensative to franchise games...

You're hyper sensitive to franchise games (and single player games) but you want another perfect dark, that hopefully is a third person stealth game in the veign of the last of us.. A fable reboot? A-Ok! Halo Reboot? Yes please. Hellblade 2? Amazing!

Come on man. Just call everyone a retard and be done with it.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
No you don't. I know this because I posted in a thread about it where you complained otherwise.

You're hyper sensitive to franchise games (and single player games) but you want another perfect dark, that hopefully is a third person stealth game in the veign of the last of us.. A fable reboot? A-Ok! Halo Reboot? Yes please. Hellblade 2? Amazing!

Come on man. Just call everyone a retard and be done with it.

I honestly don't understand your post here. Can you rephrase what you're trying to suggest? I believe I've been honest this entire time.

Btw, no one's a retard here. Or maybe I am. I do think there's a bit of fanboyism that may be clouding people's responses.

Faithless83

Banned

I know this one, it's the one that OP contradicts their own point.

Come on, they've released a new IP last week.
tenor.gif

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Given your reaction to Horizon getting a sequel I'd say yeah you are

But somehow you're okay with another Halo lol

No, I'm actually pretty excited about Horizon II.

My comments about it were to illustrate that there's a scale when it comes to projects I deem creatively ambitious.

Sony giving Guerilla around 5 years to develop a sequel is a feather in their cap.

But it's not exactly as risky as Dreams. Again, a scale.

Drewpee

Banned

You asked this question on the wrong site.

No, I'm actually pretty excited about Horizon II.

My comments about it were to illustrate that there's a scale when it comes to projects I deem creatively ambitious.

Sony giving Guerilla around 5 years to develop a sequel is a feather in their cap.

But it's not exactly as risky as Dreams. Again, a scale.

Your scale is all over the place tbh

Thirty7ven

Banned
I honestly don't understand your post here. Can you rephrase what you're trying to suggest? I believe I've been honest this entire time.

Btw, no one's a retard here. Or maybe I am. I do think there's a bit of fanboyism that may be clouding people's responses.

You don't understand my post? It's all stuff you've said before. You can play dumb all you want, my wife does it all the time, that shit doesn't phase me.

MrS

Banned
I'm an XBox fan who's last XBox I owned was the OG XBox. I'm an XBox fan who purchased all four PlayStation consoles at or near launch. I'm an XBox fan who subscribed to the notion that XBox was a Halo, Forza, and Gears factory, who disliked Halo and Gears and was indifferent towards Forza. I'm an XBox fan who's preferred new IP and creative/ambitious projects for the last 20+ years of my life.

Sony must love XBox fans like me.

Or maybe I'm just allowed to observe shifts in the industry and realize the only constant in nature is change itself?
Methinks the lady doth protest too much

Ar¢tos

Returnal is a mid scale game from a 2nd party studio.

We saw no new IP from Japan Studio at the PS5 event, just Astros Playroom.

We did not see Arrowheads game.

Destruction All Stars looks to be a smaller to mid tier scale game from independent studios Lucid and Wushu.

Maybe the new secret San Diego studio isn't making another Uncharted game. But they did post a job listing calling for help with "The next chapter in cinematic story telling", which sounds pretty f*cking Uncharted to me. Btw, how many units did Uncharted 4 sell? 16+ million. So yeah, maybe it is a new Uncharted game.

And, for the 7th time in this very thread, I AGREE that current gen Sony funded creative, ambitious projects. But again, I'm talking from the point of the PS5, not of the PS4.

I like you. You're a good person. But...

847eca56bc03a0a845c73b93916c33c2.jpg
First it was no innovative IPs, now its no innovative IPs not counting 2nd party and not counting Non AAA.
3011815-1625596173-footb.jpg

How can you comment from the "ps5 point of view" when the console was just announced and we only know of a few games?
Is the console releasing tomorrow and nobody else knows about it? Or Sony still has 4 MONTHS (122 days) to announce more games before the release?

Your thread is either concern trolling or extreme overthinking.

This thread feels weird days after Sony just released a new AAA IP.
This gen the only Sony studio that felt like they were stuck making more of the same was Naughty Dog (and well Polyphony and San Diego, but that has always been their thing), and even then TLOU2 was only the second entry in the franchise, it's not like they've been making them for decades.

Guerilla: New IP with Horizon
Sucker Punch: New Ip with GOT
Media Molecule: New Ip with Teraway and Dreams
Japan Studio: New Ip with Knack (lol) and co developed new Ip Bloodborne and The Last Guardian (and Gravity Rush, though I think that'd be last gen)
Sony Bend: New Ip with Days Gone
Insomniac: Not really a new "IP" but a new franchise for the studio with Spiderman
Guerilla: Not a new IP but a soft reboot of God of War with a significant shift in gameplay, storytelling and setting.

I'd wait and see how things turn out next gen. But I wouldn't call Sony the new "House of big established franchises" just because they didn't throw away every IP they own (some of which fairly new) on the first Ps5 presentation.
I dont know but Guerrilla did not made God of War but Sony Santa Monica did😉

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Fbh

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I feel like this has been my "Welcome to NeoGAF" moment.

When proposing a rather innocuous idea leads to a crazy amount of mud flinging. This is truly the land of misfit toys and I thank you for welcoming me in this extremely peculiar way.

This has been my baptism!!

MtZ9N.gif

Top Bottom