• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft E3 2006 Conference Thread

Vormund said:
I think Nintendo's conference just beat Microsoft's personally. Wii games just looked like fun. I'll also be picking up a DSlite when it's available here. So they sold me on that as well.

Nintendo>>MS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Sony

I was interested in the Windows/Mobile/Xbox360 Live features however. I see a lot of potential there.

Oh btw ignore the sig. I was more in MS's camp prior to E3.

Did you attend both conferences? My opinion on the outcome is only with Nintendo interchanged with Microsoft... Sony lagging way behind. With Nintendo, it didn't achieve much. The whole time I kept hear murmers of "where's Smash? Where's this game? Where's the virtual console?"

Plus with Microsoft, I think it delivered on the gameplay oriented demos showcasing (even though the dev. for Crysis died like 3 times playing the game even in God mode). Nintendo's showing was only saved by Zelda and the figure heads playing tennis. I was more excited for the DS games than the Wii games. Nintendo still stepped above Sony with overall showing.

Fix

Banned
CountZeroInt said:
- Elves running with katanas and chopping people in half, nuff said.

Hardly.

It's supposed to be a goddamn RPG. It has a wealth of support material. This game, even if only one in a franchise, is the wrong foot to get off on. I don't care that you can resurrect or force throw. I care that you can't, on your own volition, head down to a street doc and choose your implants and have it affect some sort of actual story. I care that it is an action shooter rather than a game where you RUN your missions through the SHADOWS of a dystopian Seattle. I care that it's Aztec ruins being shown here and not Aztec Corp.

Good for FASA being programmer heavy. Hire some damned writers and designers and do it right.

Load
of
Crap

pilonv1

I know a lot of people here won't give a shit about it, but for me the Live Anywhere presentation was tremendous. The demo with Forza really sold me on it, that sort of customisation is insane. The first part with Bill really dragged but once they showed what you can do it was amazing.

Also Crysis looks so good it's ridiculous. I don't think there will be anything at next years E3 let alone this years that will get near it.

hyp

pilonv1 said:
I know a lot of people here won't give a shit about it, but for me the Live Anywhere presentation was tremendous. The demo with Forza really sold me on it, that sort of customisation is insane. The first part with Bill really dragged but once they showed what you can do it was amazing.

Also Crysis looks so good it's ridiculous. I don't think there will be anything at next years E3 let alone this years that will get near it.

same here. think about modifying your cars via cell phone while you're waiting for the train or walking to class.... then uploading the mods ready for play when you get home. or playing some lumines and being able to unlock achievements away from the 360. sweet.

Vormund

Daniel-son said:
Did you attend both conferences? My opinion on the outcome is only with Nintendo interchanged with Microsoft... Sony lagging way behind. With Nintendo, it didn't achieve much. The whole time I kept hear murmers of "where's Smash? Where's this game? Where's the virtual console?"

Plus with Microsoft, I think it delivered on the gameplay oriented demos showcasing (even though the dev. for Crysis died like 3 times playing the game even in God mode). Nintendo's showing was only saved by Zelda and the figure heads playing tennis. I was more excited for the DS games than the Wii games. Nintendo still stepped above Sony with overall showing.

No I didn't attend. My point was that both MS and Nintendo were close. This would come down to what you personally got out of either presentation. For me, it made me want to get the Wii at launch, so in that regard they succeeded. Bear in mind I already have a 360.

Vormund said:
No I didn't attend. My point was that both MS and Nintendo were close. This would come down to what you personally got out of either presentation. For me, it made me want to get the Wii at launch, so in that regard they succeeded. Bear in mind I already have a 360.

This is the truth about MS...

Right after the MS conferene... they ushered people across the street to the hotel to actually play some of the games before E3 and watch the demos (like I did with Too Human and Blue Dragon).

Vormund

Has this been posted yet?

Sounds good. But don't make it sound like I thought that MS sucked, because I don't. I was happy in particular with their Live anywhere strategy and their games lineup looked great. Better than PS3's overall IMO. (Only really interested in MGS4 out of their lineup.)

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
I can't believe that they're actually allowing the HD DVD to be that big.

Who wants to put one of those, or who can fit one of those next to their 360.

Anyways, their conference was better than Sony's.

Nintendo= 7

Sony = 7

MS = 8

----

Banned
That HD DVD drive is really disapointing to me. My wishlist was HDMI output plus it would be slot loading, slimmer, about the same width of the Xbox 360 and somehow powered through USB (yeah right). The idea was that it was supposed to be as unobtrusive as possible.
HokieJoe said:
Whoa at Live Anywhere!

I mean, Jesus, they covered every angle. You can tweak your freaking car configuration in Forza from your cell phone. And this feature is just bad-ass: you’ll be able to tweak your paint job in Vista. :D
Live Anywhere is huge. It almost makes me want to get a Windows Mobile phone. I hate the current Windows Mobile OS and I really wish they could simplify it into something more userfriendly like the 360 Dashboard. Also Live Anywhere is the first feature I've seen for Vista that actually seems like something I'd use.

Vormund

---- said:
Live Anywhere is huge. It almost makes me want to get a Windows Mobile phone.

Hell yeah. I'm interested in seeing what these Windows Mobile phones are like for when I get a new phone.

mikeGFG

Banned
frankieff.jpg

Just found that on Bungie.net

Oh Stinkles you sick bastard. :lol

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Aryuken said:
HEY BlimBlim...what about that U3 game?????

The mere notion now that a game in the works for the 360 right now looks better than Gears of war is well....unreal.
Forget about it. Either my friend was joking, or he needs some serious eyes surgery. Can you believe he was talking about Shadowrun? :(
And yes, he really had seen both games running. Ho well, I'll know not to trust him when it comes to graphics :D

I think the whole GTA4 thing could back fire. What if Blu-Ray and HD in every machine means that the PS3 version already has more content, and runs better because of the harddrive? It's good getting the game at the same time, but if one version is better than the other that is not very good. What if the PS3 version has free online multiplayer modes? It's dangerous to put too much emphasis on a multiplatform title, when there is no guarantee you will get the best version.

The Xbox version being superior to the PS2 version never had much impact because it didn't come out until a long time later. I actually waited for the Xbox version of GTA:San Andreas, because I couldn't take the technical compromises on the PS2 version.

I'm sure MS had a price drop segment prepared, but as soon as they heard the PS3 price they knew it wasn't needed :lol

Uncle

Blimblim said:
Forget about it. Either my friend was joking, or he needs some serious eyes surgery. Can you believe he was talking about Shadowrun? :(

Shadowrun uses UE3? Wow. Accomplished.

coldvein

Banned
My good lords in heaven,

that Shadowrun game looks like arse.
Having had ultimate high-hopes for this license, and receiving this.....

: (

shibbs

Halo 3 trailer wasnt all that hot IMO. Then again, there are bigger halo fans than me.

The GoW and Viva pinata trailers were great!

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
After combing through all of the Conference stuff I can genuinely say that the following exclusive 360 games have me excited.

Gears of War (Choppiness can be forgiven because the gameplay simply looked badass. this is coming from a guy who definitely wasn't sold on this "stop-n-pop" presentation from last year. Though it does look to be very very linear which is ok as long as its fun.)

Dead Rising (Capcom finally givin MS some decent support. This game looks like ridiculous fun with hundreds of ways to kill zombies complete with Dawn of the Dead backdrop.)

Lost Planet (Again Capcom brings the fire this game looks intense and hella fun with more varied and open enviroments to explore than GoW. Count me very impressed.)

Those 3 look to be system sellers in my book. Besides these there was only 1 game that I thought had a lot of potential but it didn't show enough gameplay to make a decision and thats Interstellar Marine. The scene at the end was a complete tribue to Aliens the movie which I always wanted reinvisioned on next-gen consoles.

The biggest dissapointment was obviously Shadowrun. I'm so depressed on that I don't want to even talk about it. The only other negative is that the system seems to be plagued with me too shooters and GTA style games that look fairly average. A more diverse portfolio would be appreciated. Where is their Warhawk contender and Fighting games were non existent. They have 1 or 2 unique titles like Viva but the shooters and GTA's outnumber them like 10 to 1.

jey_16

Banned
i so want to here the reaction from the audience after the Halo 3 trailer, any place where i can get it?

i watched it on my 19inch screen and i was getting giddy :D, i cant imagine what it would have looked like on a theatre screen

senahorse

shibbs said:
Halo 3 trailer wasnt all that hot IMO. Then again, there are bigger halo fans than me.

The GoW and Viva pinata trailers were great!

yeah the halo teaser gave me the impression that it was slapped together quickly just to give the fans a little taste

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
x3n05 said:
yeah the halo teaser gave me the impression that it was slapped together quickly just to give the fans a little taste
That was the idea. They wanted something to show that didn't hurt their schedule. Something a final punch for the E3 conference and something to say "hi" to the fans.

On a different note, the music from the Fable 2 trailer rocks and I am hardly a Fable fanboy.

wasting

Banned
jey_16 said:
i so want to here the reaction from the audience after the Halo 3 trailer, any place where i can get it?

i watched it on my 19inch screen and i was getting giddy :D, i cant imagine what it would have looked like on a theatre screen

From the stream, You hear a few claps...

senahorse

Funky Papa said:
That was the idea. They wanted something to show that didn't hurt their schedule. Something a final punch for the E3 conference and something to say "hi" to the fans.

On a different note, the music from the Fable 2 trailer rocks and I am hardly a Fable fanboy.

agreed I didn't like Fable much at all but that soundtrack sucked me right in and made me start wanting it lol

sangreal

ConsumerSquare said:
Any clarification on the whole "Xbox 360 is the only place for next gen Madden" comment? Is it just Moore hyperbole?

Well EA has already started showing off Madden PS3, so I guess Moore either means Madden 360 will come out in August with the current-gen versions before the PS3 is released, or he is just talking out of his ass again.

wasting

Banned
didn't he say 'only place come august?' since ps3 and wii wont be out by then next gen madden is only on 360 at that time.... whats so hard to understand?

Uncle

Is it just me or did the new parts of that Alan Wake look better than the rest? I mean the ones where he is using the lantern.

bengraven

I really hope the Fable engine does guns properly. The bow and arrow mechanics were pretty good, so I shouldn't be worried, but still---guns. And you can play a female! Very cool.

Also, I had to point out how familiar that hooded woman doing the narration was in the trailer to my friend. Fable spoilers:

It's obviously Teresa, not only because it's the same voice actress/voice but also notice how we never see her eyes. How she's still alive 500 years is beyond me since most of us evil bastards killed her in the end of Fable 1.

wasting said:
didn't he say 'only place come august?' since ps3 and wii wont be out by then next gen madden is only on 360 at that time.... whats so hard to understand?
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=64375
19:03:05 -
"The only place to play next-gen Madden will be right here on Xbox 360," he says, cryptically. And he mentions Pro Evolution Soccer.

There's no "come august" in there, so ease up with the geek rage.

Anyway, how many copies of Madden are sold in three months? I'd imagine this is a pretty big deal, considering the draw Madden holds for so-called "casual" buyers.

I think what Moore was saying was that at the begining of the football season in August the 360 (by default) would be the only console with next-gen Madden.

pedrothelion said:
I think what Moore was saying was that at the begining of the football season in August the 360 (by default) would be the only console with next-gen Madden.

That's exactly what he said. He said by the beginning of the NFL season which pre-season begins in August that the only place to play Next-Gen Madden will be the 360. The season will a little over halfway over by the time PS3 comes out.

So I finally watched the rest of the entire conference.

Live Anywhere is truly out of control amazing. I really can't believe this kind of advanced and simple networking is going to exist by January. I mean, this is some Minority Report type shit, BUT FOR GAMES.

As fundamentally cool as all this is on a technical level, as they showed with Forza, the developers will be able to truly explode the concept. This is the sort of thing Allard had been talking about from the beginning, three platforms combining for one platform of experience. This is just like the Live presentation last year when they showed all the sweet shit you'd be able to do in PGR3. But Megaton. So, sorry, but there's no longer any chance for competition. Market share is one thing, sure, and Sony will always have a stranglehold on it, I suspect. But there's no way come January that any Sonybot can come in here and say you can have anything close to a similar experience with the Playstation HUB. As far as the online experience goes, the entire war is officially over.

Fuck $600 this holiday for a PS3. I'm saving up a whole lot more for an Alienware and Mobile Phone.

I was already holding off on upgrading my PC until Vista releases, and Live Anywhere just confirms that it'll be worth the wait. They didn't even touch on the enhanced media functionality the Xbox will get with Vista either.

Vieo

I was really sleepy yesterday, but about an hour before I went to bed, I read a headline on a website some where that said Lumnies is coming to Xbox Live Arcade. Is that true?

Top Bottom