• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft expects Xbox to deliver record-breaking revenue during Starfield's release

Starfield will bring

• Record breaking revenue

Votes: 60 46.9%
  • Record breaking consoles sales

Votes: 7 5.5%
  • Record breaking gamepass growth

Votes: 61 47.7%

• Total voters

Saber

Gold Member
I don't doubt this game to do great on PC, since the premise of being a "Skyrim on space" will do wonders to this game. Not to mention it's mod potential.

Now about for the console part...hard to say imo. They can prove me wrong though, but I seriously doesn't see any kind of hype or talking in my country, which it isn't surprising since here is playstation turf.

reinking

Gold Member
Jimmy Fallon Wow GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

TrueGrime

It'll make money on consoles I'm sure.

The Premium Edition on console is $100.

Gamepass is allowing you to upgrade from the free standard edition to the Premium Edition for $30. This is really a fucking no brainer for console or PC gamepass players who also want early access and the DLC for the game.

It'll make money on consoles I'm sure.

The Premium Edition on console is $100.

Gamepass is allowing you to upgrade from the free standard edition to the Premium Edition for $30. This is really a fucking no brainer for console or PC gamepass players who also want early access and the DLC for the game.
How does this upgrade option work? Do I lose access to the main game if I unsubscribe or do I have access to the full game + DLC once I have paid 30$, regardless of gamepass subscription?

Three

1000% click bait.

There isn't a sentence that correlates to the articles title. Even worse, the actual projections used in the article are so bad they're actually alarming. But Tweaktown is tweaktowning.

Record breaking Q1 he's saying based on his numbers. I'm not sure how the title and his article don't correlate.

92596_124_microsoft-expects-xbox-to-deliver-record-breaking-revenu-during-starfields-q1-release.png

Last edited:

TrueGrime

How does this upgrade option work? Do I lose access to the main game if I unsubscribe or do I have access to the full game + DLC once I have paid 30$, regardless of gamepass subscription?

No! That's the kicker. If you are not planning on keeping GP then letting your sub expire will lock your access to the game. Even the P-Edition. You would have to re-buy those again as if you were never subbed to GP in the first place.

I'd sub to GP for $1 (I believe that's still going on) just to see if you like it first before purchasing anything.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Realistically, they probably have seen enough of the pre-launch gears moving to make a solid prediction that they are going to have a great quarter. Assuming this is a projection directly from MS, was this part of their guidance to investors or what?

Good for them, Starfield looks like one of the biggest and most cohesive space sandboxes we've ever gotten. Looking forward to it.

MarkMe2525

Correct, the base game would be inaccessible if you unsubscribed from gamepass. If you purchase the base game down the road, you would regain access to the premium content.

That's the road I'm going. I'll buy the base game down the road cheap on sale. In the meantime I'll use the premium content on the gamepass version.

SenkiDala

On PC sure it'll sell, but on Xbox... I mean outside of the US the Xbox doesn't exist, I don't think that so many people will buy an Xbox to play this game.

Three

On PC sure it'll sell, but on Xbox... I mean outside of the US the Xbox doesn't exist, I don't think that so many people will buy an Xbox to play this game.
I think it will definitely boost sales of xbox. Don't believe what spencer says. If it's going to be more than PS5 though I'm not sure. Not taking that avatar bet in the other thread because it could be close.

Wulfer

Incoming Halo 3 level marketing campaigns! Expect Youtube, Fox and ESPN (for starters) to be blanketed with Starfield! These ads will run all the way into the New Year! Also, they have Forza Motorsport releasing too...

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

On steam it's going to be a big game. All Bethesda games sells really well on pc.
I guess this will be the real test to see if day 1 gamepass cannibalizes sales for all games.

I wonder if the game is going to get less understanding over Bethesda quality control issues at launch because of it now being exclusive and a first party game too.

If all-in they've spent $200m on the game between development and marketing, I have my doubts the game is definitely going to make back that money (in the first 12months), going by their own projection of losing 10m PS5 game sales from the FTC lawsuit info.

10m sales would represent Sony's 80% worldwide market share - I suspect- meaning Microsoft's 20% at a similar coverage would account for 4.5m on Xbox. If even half of those players play via gamepass, and the B2P customers each pay an average price between $70 and $40, so $55, then that's only $124m would be recouped, meaning that they'd need at least 1.3m PC sales - that aren't gamepass either - just to break even, which with day 1 gamepass conditioning Xbox/PC gamers not to B2P Xbox first party games, I'm not sure that's a dead cert, unless the lost sales from changing to exclusive convert lots of lost PlayStation game sales to xbox game sales.

From a games industry business angle how Startfield does in actual game sales is going to be interesting IMO

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
How does it make sense to expect the game to remain 100% playable if your Gamepass subscription has expired.

It's simple. The DLC will remain tied to your account, but in order to play the game you will need to either resubscribe or buy the base game outright.

Not hard to figure out.

StereoVsn

I am not certain any of the options in the poll will happen.

I feel that most of the audience for Starfield already either has a PC or XSX/XSS. Then for sales, GamePass will eat a lot of those.

It will certainly sell very very well on Steam, and pretty well on Xbox, but GamePass will eat heavily into those sales. And for folks who aren't subbing to GP, that's going to be a month "rental".

I certainly could be wrong though and it's going to be interesting to see what happens either way.

TrueGrime

I feel that most of the audience for Starfield already either has a PC or XSX/XSS. Then for sales, GamePass will eat a lot of those.

It will certainly sell very very well on Steam, and pretty well on Xbox, but GamePass will eat heavily into those sales. And for folks who aren't subbing to GP, that's going to be a month "rental".

I certainly could be wrong though and it's going to be interesting to see what happens either way.

Can you believe that Skyrim came out more than a decade ago.

rbcHjcS.png

If Bethesda can deliver out the gate and MS can attach copies of Starfield as console/GP bundles, it will have legs to go the distance. Steam or GP, it doesn't even really matter.

StereoVsn

rbcHjcS.png

If Bethesda can deliver out the gate and MS can attach copies of Starfield as console/GP bundles, it will have legs to go the distance. Steam or GP, it doesn't even really matter.
Oh, it will definitely sell on Steam for years. But as far as sales on Xbox itself, not sure

TrueGrime

Oh, it will definitely sell on Steam for years. But as far as sales on Xbox itself, not sure

There are so many avenues of revenue this game can make, I think it'll sell well on consoles still. Hell, I still can't find an in stock Special Edition for PC or console. People that are already long-term subscribers to GP and like Bethesda games have already probably upgraded to the $30 Premium version of the game. I also think MS is banking on people subbing new to GP console or PC (I believe the $1 first time 1 month is still happening), and if those people maintain a subscription for 5-6 months, that would have paid for the game at full price anyway. People that don't care about GP will just purchase straight up. Unless this game absolutely bombs in reviews, I can't see any situation where it doesn't sell in someway.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
There are so many avenues of revenue this game can make, I think it'll sell well on consoles still. Hell, I still can't find an in stock Special Edition for PC or console. People that are already long-term subscribers to GP and like Bethesda games have already probably upgraded to the $30 Premium version of the game. I also think MS is banking on people subbing new to GP console or PC (I believe the $1 first time 1 month is still happening), and if those people maintain a subscription for 5-6 months, that would have paid for the game at full price anyway. People that don't care about GP will just purchase straight up. Unless this game absolutely bombs in reviews, I can't see any situation where it doesn't sell in someway.

It’s been in an out of the top sellers on Steam for months. It’s probably already sold a considerable amount of copies.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
If it doesn't sell well then MS just straight up should abandon buying Activision. Save that $67 billions and invest it elsewhere.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Armored Core 6 will still be fresh and MK1 will come soon after. If we're talking about that month as a whole not just like the 3 days around its release, it's going to be a bomb ass month for revenue.

Still not understanding how they expect to sell a bunch of $70 copies of a game a lot of us are just gonna resub to Game Pass for 🤷‍♂️.

If you want me to buy a copy, don’t give me the option of giving it to me in a $11 or $15 sub.

Last edited:

rbcHjcS.png

Yes, I can. I rented it for 360 via GameFly. In November 2011 in college. It was awesome. And back then nobody bitched about it not being 60 fps. We played it at hitchy twitchy 30 fps and it was completely fine.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yes, I can. I rented it for 360 via GameFly. In November 2011 in college. It was awesome. And back then nobody bitched about it not being 60 fps. We played it at hitchy twitchy 30 fps and it was completely fine.

Man, I have vivid memories of booting Skyrim for the first time, it feels overplayed at this point but at launch, the game was a legitimate certified top-tier banger.

Damigos

Starfield will be huge. I will be surprised to see it release without any bugs. Its a Bethesda game after all
By the way, i wont play it until i can experience it at 60 fps (my pc cant handle it)

drganon

That's my plan. Sub for a month, beat the game, then cancel before it reups.

Top Bottom