• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft expects Xbox to deliver record-breaking revenue during Starfield's release

Starfield will bring

• Record breaking revenue

Votes: 60 46.9%
  • Record breaking consoles sales

Votes: 7 5.5%
  • Record breaking gamepass growth

Votes: 61 47.7%

• Total voters
No! That's the kicker. If you are not planning on keeping GP then letting your sub expire will lock your access to the game. Even the P-Edition. You would have to re-buy those again as if you were never subbed to GP in the first place.

I'd sub to GP for $1 (I believe that's still going on) just to see if you like it first before purchasing anything.

Correct, the base game would be inaccessible if you unsubscribed from gamepass. If you purchase the base game down the road, you would regain access to the premium content.

That's the road I'm going. I'll buy the base game down the road cheap on sale. In the meantime I'll use the premium content on the gamepass version.

Thanks for the replies. I barely if ever play dlcs and it would probably be stupid to buy dlc for a game I do not own, will just pay for a month of gamepass and buy a cheap copy 3-4 years down the line.

StereoVsn

That's my plan. Sub for a month, beat the game, then cancel before it reups.
And that makes sense. Which is why I don't think MS will see as large sales as expected by some folks. People either have GamePass already or will sub for a month.

And same folks most likely already have Xbox console or have a gaming PC. I just don't see Starfield moving that console sales needle by itself. That said, I could be wrong and Starfield may wind up console seller.

We will see if MS actually gives numbers for Xbox and Starfield sales. Then you know it's good, vs "engagement, X many players tried the game, 100 billion aliens killed, etc..." .

Xbox has no momentum or hype coming into the fall. You'll see a spike in GP subs, maybe the largest single month console sales for XBS (which ain't saying much), but no record breaking numbers.

The Halo, Gears, and COD launch weeks back on the 360 created a pretty high bar to clear and they (MS) cannot seriously believe that Starfield will top those.

tusharngf

I guess this will be the real test to see if day 1 gamepass cannibalizes sales for all games.

I wonder if the game is going to get less understanding over Bethesda quality control issues at launch because of it now being exclusive and a first party game too.

If all-in they've spent $200m on the game between development and marketing, I have my doubts the game is definitely going to make back that money (in the first 12months), going by their own projection of losing 10m PS5 game sales from the FTC lawsuit info.

10m sales would represent Sony's 80% worldwide market share - I suspect- meaning Microsoft's 20% at a similar coverage would account for 4.5m on Xbox. If even half of those players play via gamepass, and the B2P customers each pay an average price between $70 and $40, so $55, then that's only $124m would be recouped, meaning that they'd need at least 1.3m PC sales - that aren't gamepass either - just to break even, which with day 1 gamepass conditioning Xbox/PC gamers not to B2P Xbox first party games, I'm not sure that's a dead cert, unless the lost sales from changing to exclusive convert lots of lost PlayStation game sales to xbox game sales.

From a games industry business angle how Startfield does in actual game sales is going to be interesting IMO
I have gamepass sub from past 2 yrs but still i got all bethesda game on steam because of modding scene. Its good to have your game ready anytime you want.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Record breaking console sales from negative growth year over year to positive 30%.
The biggest and most largesterest Xbox console sales growth YoY as presented as a purely percentile difference!
How innovative and revolutionary!

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
How does this upgrade option work? Do I lose access to the main game if I unsubscribe or do I have access to the full game + DLC once I have paid 30$, regardless of gamepass subscription?
Why would they give you everything for $30 when they're charging other people $100?

Come On Reaction GIF by BrownSugarApp

I don't think it can be underestimated how a significant release Starfield is not only for Xbox but just in general. Pre-order sales are obviously very good given they're talking like this. Companies don't talk like this unless they have data to back it up, posters here would be wise to remember that.

Fredrik

I have gamepass sub from past 2 yrs but still i got all bethesda game on steam because of modding scene. Its good to have your game ready anytime you want.
Yeah I’m thinking the Steam version should be better in the long run. MS has probably forced Bethesda to prioritize the Windows Store version so I expect some extra bugs on Steam tbh but for modding it should be better to use Steam.

I’m getting annoyed that they don’t show the PC version. A month away and all I’ve seen is some leaked blurry screenshot with a TAB icon.

They said if they shipped it the day of the IGN interview it would have the least bugs of any release they've ever done. Game's gonna be clean as fuck.
hahaha pretty naive to believe that given their track record.

That's like EA saying "we'll release our next sports titles with the fewest amount of mtx. We promise!!"

ByWatterson

Front-brain me says it will do very well, but back of the brain instinct me feels like this game has very little true hype? Am I alone on this?

Three

Fuck me...in your continued effort to be a fanboy shill you rushed and didn't even click the link....

Work a little harder next time dude.
I don't understand. how could I not have clicked the link when I've posted an image from it here? I was just poking fun about Spencers idea that Starfield will do nothing for xbox.

Allandor

I wouldn't count on it. Sci-fi games tend to be not sold as well as expected even if they are really good. I don't expect star field to be as successful as Skyrim. But I hope I am wrong, because I really like sci-fi games.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I don't understand. how could I not have clicked the link when I've posted an image from it here? I was just poking fun about Spencers idea that Starfield will do nothing for xbox.

The link doesn't mention him once and it's all from Amy Hood. I didn't expect Phil to be living so rent free that you'd drop deep cuts like that...

😆

Three

The link doesn't mention him once and it's all from Amy Hood. I didn't expect Phil to be living so rent free that you'd drop deep cuts like that...

😆
OK? Amy Hood says Starfield will deliver a record breaking quarter for xbox and Phil was saying an 11/10 Starfield will do little to help turn things around for Xbox.

Just because you didn't get a poorly worded silly reference and assumed I thought the article was about Spencer he's living rent free in my head? It's not that deep.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Well, Sony is already running scared. They've lopped £80 off the UK PS5 disc version, to try and tempt gamers away from Xbox. Good luck with that! LOL!

Microsoft doesn't stand a chance against moves like that tbh. What a bargain! I bought a second ps5 ahead of my pro purchase next year its that good.

Last edited:

Disco Dave

The influencers have already received the press release.

"<<insert game>> was a break out hit for us and our players in all key measurements and expectations. We couldn’t be happier with what the team at <<insert developer>> delivered with this surprise release."

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
It'll certainly be interesting to see how big a Bethesda rpg on consoles can be in 2023.

What I'm seeing here on neogaf is people saying nobody would play it on console and that all the sales will be on (non Microsoft) PC store fronts, or that people will subscribe to Gamepass for a single month, *complete it* and never return. I've just read that there's not much hype around Starfield.

This seems to go against the reaction that we saw when Microsoft bought Bethesda and then the years of assurance that there would be no way they wouldn't release the game on Playstation having spent so much on Zenimax, in a way that some might call "copium". It also goes against that the entire gaming community, from press, to forums to Twitter was saturated with talk of Starfield after the Xbox showcase a month ago.

I know that neogaf skews hard towards PlayStation which explains at least some of those sentiments, but honestly, only a fool wouldn't look around and see that Microsoft surely have a monster hit on their hands that will definitely drive hardware sales. As to whether the number will be enough for certain people around here to not run for charts, sales figures and anecdotes from launches of other games to prove it wasn't the biggest launch of a game ever? No chance. That's definitely happening. But that won't define that Starfield is perhaps 2023's biggest game, certainly for Xbox - only TOTK challenges it*, and tbh, likely will have sold more by the end of the year. Nonetheless, Starfield is still a massive game, downplaying that seems like an odd thing to do and for other people to agree with.

Edit:
*And Hogwarts

Last edited:

Codeblew

I selected gamepass growth. I will subscribe for 1 month to play the game and then subsequently cancel it. Thanks MS for saving me $50+ dollars to play the game.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
1000% click bait.

There isn't a sentence that correlates to the articles title. Even worse, the actual projections used in the article are so bad they're actually alarming. But Tweaktown is tweaktowning.
Yeah, I don't think the implication of this article is right.

This is from The Verge. If anything, the forecasts are lower than I expected, especially considering the $800 million decline in revenue.

ulS5DsK.jpg

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I selected gamepass growth. I will subscribe for 1 month to play the game and then subsequently cancel it. Thanks MS for saving me $50+ dollars to play the game.

It would be interesting to see the overall number to see how much revenue it pulls in on game pass subs and then people re subbing and buying dlc when it comes out.

Ain't no way that more or less 50 to 75 percent of people buy Bethesda dlc.

Chukhopops

But it will be free on Gamepass, how are they making money? hardware sales?
Starfield has been in the Steam top 10 sellers pretty much non-stop since pre-orders became available. It’s going to be selling huge at launch, then maintain steady legs throughout the years, like it’s predecessors did.

Also: Jesus Christ this thread

I really hope it doesn't meet expectations. It's really mean, but I had an arrangement with my friend for a co-op session for Baldur's Gate 3 and this game will threaten our momentum of the game.

Plus I await for mods so I can make my character ugly/beautiful for photo modes.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I guess this will be the real test to see if day 1 gamepass cannibalizes sales for all games.

I wonder if the game is going to get less understanding over Bethesda quality control issues at launch because of it now being exclusive and a first party game too.

If all-in they've spent $200m on the game between development and marketing, I have my doubts the game is definitely going to make back that money (in the first 12months), going by their own projection of losing 10m PS5 game sales from the FTC lawsuit info.

10m sales would represent Sony's 80% worldwide market share - I suspect- meaning Microsoft's 20% at a similar coverage would account for 4.5m on Xbox. If even half of those players play via gamepass, and the B2P customers each pay an average price between $70 and $40, so $55, then that's only $124m would be recouped, meaning that they'd need at least 1.3m PC sales - that aren't gamepass either - just to break even, which with day 1 gamepass conditioning Xbox/PC gamers not to B2P Xbox first party games, I'm not sure that's a dead cert, unless the lost sales from changing to exclusive convert lots of lost PlayStation game sales to xbox game sales.

From a games industry business angle how Startfield does in actual game sales is going to be interesting IMO
The Steam sales will dwarf Xbox. In the first month I’d expect anywhere from 7-10m sales on Steam and over time once sales kick in it’ll gradually rise to 12-15m.

4.5m is a very high estimate for Xbox IMO.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
And most people prefer to buy the game than subbing to gamepass

OK. I don't understand your point? The games going to make billions for MS in revenue no matter what.

We've literally got people in here saying they are going to sub for one month so it's going to increase game ass too.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
It'll certainly be interesting to see how big a Bethesda rpg on consoles can be in 2023.

What I'm seeing here on neogaf is people saying nobody would play it on console and that all the sales will be on (non Microsoft) PC store fronts, or that people will subscribe to Gamepass for a single month, *complete it* and never return. I've just read that there's not much hype around Starfield.

This seems to go against the reaction that we saw when Microsoft bought Bethesda and then the years of assurance that there would be no way they wouldn't release the game on Playstation having spent so much on Zenimax, in a way that some might call "copium". It also goes against that the entire gaming community, from press, to forums to Twitter was saturated with talk of Starfield after the Xbox showcase a month ago.

I know that neogaf skews hard towards PlayStation which explains at least some of those sentiments, but honestly, only a fool wouldn't look around and see that Microsoft surely have a monster hit on their hands that will definitely drive hardware sales. As to whether the number will be enough for certain people around here to not run for charts, sales figures and anecdotes from launches of other games to prove it wasn't the biggest launch of a game ever? No chance. That's definitely happening. But that won't define that Starfield is perhaps 2023's biggest game, certainly for Xbox - only TOTK challenges it*, and tbh, likely will have sold more by the end of the year. Nonetheless, Starfield is still a massive game, downplaying that seems like an odd thing to do and for other people to agree with.

Edit:
*And Hogwarts

I’m afraid it’s extremely unlikely that Starfield outsells TOTK this year, if ever.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
OK? Amy Hood says Starfield will deliver a record breaking quarter for xbox and Phil was saying an 11/10 Starfield will do little to help turn things around for Xbox.

Just because you didn't get a poorly worded silly reference and assumed I thought the article was about Spencer he's living rent free in my head? It's not that deep.

OK dude, so say xbox has a record breaking September and even couple of months for starfield. It breaks any kind of reality driven sales numbers and helps the xbox sell 4 million consoles over September and October....( not a chance ) do you think that would make a significant difference to the outcome of the generation.... would that change much...even that insane nber of console sales for a 2 to 3 month period?

...so Phils a lier again or actually speaking the truth?

Put the hate boner away..its not worth it lol

Top Bottom