• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft President Brad Smith: Not only will COD will continue to be on Playstation, we'd like to bring it to Nintendo devices

supernova8

Banned
What ever happened with exclusivity/not for Bethesda games? Are they all Xbox exclusive now?

I'm just an arm-chair boardroom member but if I were them, I would keep all the Bethesda and Activision etc. games on Playstation as they are but I would have them:

(1) Release a month early on Xbox/PC
and
(2) Be free/available (whichever term floats your boat) on Game Pass

That way, they still get that sweet per game revenue via the Playstation crowd who refuse to switch over to Xbox while simultaneously making buying it on Playstation look like a really stupid/uneconomical purchase.

Xbox would then be able to say "Look if you game on Xbox, you can get all of your favorite Bethesda and COD games for one low, monthly price. On Playstation you'd have to pay $60 per game and you're still paying for online multiplayer etc. on top of that!". Plus, they are protected (at least on the surface) from being accused of locking away those IPs because you would still be able to play them on Playstation - just for a much higher per-game price depending on what school of mental gymnastics you hail from (ie we can skin the "monthly cost vs buy outright" cat in lots of different ways to the point that it's irrelevant anyway)).

Keeping it completely Xbox exclusive kinda seems like money left on the table.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Whenever a Sony-published FPS releases (I'm guessing from Deviation Games in 2025) for current gen consoles, it will outperform CoD in sales

I love that you say it will outsell simply because its a Sony exclusive.
Can't be more fanboyish than that.

We know nothing of the game, neither the cod in 2025, yet you already throw goty all over it.

You aren't so different from other journalists though.

If you know you're right then you can admit to what you're suggesting

Do you believe MS is intentionally misleading regulators? Yes or no?
No. I believe they are using language carefully crafted by lawyers to indicate that they will continue to support Call of Duty titles on Playstation. I also know for a fact this in no way binds them to releasing future titles that aren't even in development yet on Playstation.

No. I believe they are using language carefully crafted by lawyers to indicate that they will continue to support Call of Duty titles on Playstation. I also know for a fact this in no way binds them to releasing future titles that aren't even in development yet on Playstation.

See. Can't even admit to the bullshit you're trying to suggest lmao

You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of how things work. Once the deal is closed, they only have to continue to support the games that are already released. If they wanted to, MS could simply stop making COD games altogether and no one could do anything about it. There is nothing that can force them to even make new COD games, much less release them for Sony's platform. This is not even legal stuff, this is just common sense.

This seems more like a desire than an absolute, on your part. But I could be wrong and your LinkedIn profile might list that you work at Microsoft, Activision or the FTC.

DJ12

Yes, I think they would agree to that. And I also think they know it will never happen.
Still avoiding the question.

Do you think Ms want gamepass on PlayStation?
It's has nothing to do with the agreeing, Sony aren't asking for it.

Let assume you're just saying yes they want it on PlayStation (and switch)

You know this means they no longer care about you or your famboyism right?

They care about making money. They would prefer to do this with PlayStation fans subbing to gamepass, but they aren't going to pull games which Sony fans are going to pay full price for to try and force it.

You need to put down the pipe if you really think they will. But pretty sure your just arguing because it's fun.

Last edited:
Still avoiding the question.

Do you think Ms want gamepass on PlayStation?
It's has nothing to do with the agreeing, Sony aren't asking for it.

Let assume you're just saying yes they want it on PlayStation (and switch)

You know this means they no longer care about you or your famboyism right?

They care about making money. They would prefer to do this with PlayStation fans subbing to gamepass, but they aren't going to pull games which Sony fans are going to pay full price for to try and force it.

You need to put down the pipe if you really think they will. But pretty sure your just arguing because it's fun.
Yes they care about making money. Not sure where I’m being a fanboy. These are the facts:

1) MS acquired AB for 70B

2) MS wants to grow Game Pass

3) CoD is a wildly successful franchise

4) CoD players go where the best experience/content is

I guess you think that making future CoD titles exclusive to MS platforms is somehow a bad business decision in light of these facts. Can’t say I agree!

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Spider-Man is huge so that might happen, but a new IP will outperform CoD in sales? Hmm not sure about that one.

Vanguard was available for two months in 2021 and only managed to sell ~9 million units at best with a console base of 180 million during that period. That's 5% attach rate in 2 months. Miles Morales for PS5 was closer to 20% attach rate within ~1 month.

I work in finance; I don't say this to suggest my predictions are infallible, but for people to understand that my predictions are based on hard stats and not "fanboyism", like this genius below has accused me of:

I love that you say it will outsell simply because its a Sony exclusive.
Can't be more fanboyish than that.

If people here took the time to look at Activision financial reports and had the capacity to correctly interpret them, there would have never been so many questions of whether CoD was going multi platform, nor would my current predictions seem far fetched to them.

How about you? Are you going to admit with this comment that MS would be intentionally misleading regulators if they go that route?
They aren’t misleading anyone. Microsoft can say today they are going to make the games exclusive for Xbox and regulators wouldn’t have anything against them anyway.

Microsoft just doesn’t want to alienate the game community, they don’t want to be seen as the bad guys. They will obviously keep the games available for those consoles but there’s no way they won’t have a big advantage like having dlc exclusive for years, or releasing the games first in Xbox and years later on those consoles or just not releasing them at all but in gamepass.

Roxkis_ii

They aren’t misleading anyone. Microsoft can say today they are going to make the games exclusive for Xbox and regulators wouldn’t have anything against them anyway.

Microsoft just doesn’t want to alienate the game community, they don’t want to be seen as the bad guys. They will obviously keep the games available for those consoles but there’s no way they won’t have a big advantage like having dlc exclusive for years, or releasing the games first in Xbox and years later on those consoles or just not releasing them at all but in gamepass.
Don't, you think treating Playstation owners like second class citizens will only allow room for another shooter to eat COD's lunch??

I know a lot of people think COD fans will jump ship, but I don't think many will.

Don't, you think treating Playstation owners like second class citizens will only allow room for another shooter to eat COD's lunch??

I know a lot of people think COD fans will jump ship, but I don't think many will.
A lot of people only buy PlayStation for call of duty, I know a few, that’s the only game they play. If there’s no call of duty then they won’t buy a PlayStation.

Last edited:

I'm not saying they're misleading anyone. They have an official blog post addressed to regulators telling them not to be concerned about COD going exclusive to Xbox. I believe them.

But if you think COD will be exclusive even with that in mind, then you're the one who believes they're misleading

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Are you going to admit that you think MS would intentionally mislead regulators?

I don't need to admit anything. Nothing they have said is intentionally misleading, it's just missing key facts. It's up to the FTC to ask the right questions. There is a difference.
They also can't speak to every action they might take 3 years from now, so either way it's only a roadmap, I'm not aware of any statute or law that prevents them from changing course once they get there.
They are free to "change their minds" due to changing financial considerations and marketplace shifts. The FTC doesn't get to control anything once it's approved.

I don't need to admit anything. Nothing they have said is intentionally misleading, it's just missing key facts. It's up to the FTC to ask the right questions. There is a difference.
They also can't speak to every action they might take 3 years from now, so either way it's only a roadmap, I'm not aware of any statute or law that prevents them from changing course once they get there.
They are free to "change their minds" due to changing financial considerations and marketplace shifts. The FTC doesn't get to control anything once it's approved.

Just missing key facts LMAO. The very subject of that section is about COD exclusivity on Xbox. It's on Microsoft to be honest. Not the FTC. 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
I'm not saying they're misleading anyone. They have an official blog post addressed to regulators telling them not to be concerned about COD going exclusive to Xbox. I believe them.

But if you think COD will be exclusive even with that in mind, then you're the one who believes they're misleading
Sure, you can play COD old games on PlayStation.

Just missing key facts LMAO. The very subject of that section is about COD exclusivity on Xbox. It's on Microsoft to be honest. Not the FTC. 🤦‍♂️
Why you people want to through this again? You were one year saying how Microsoft wouldn’t make Bethesda games exclusive but the very same day the acquisition went through they changed narrative to say exactly the opposite. Now you wanna go through this again lol. If Microsoft were planning to make new games available for those consoles they would have said it. Instead they are clearly going out of their way to specifically not say that. They have never said they will make new games for those consoles, if they do when would they make them available and how.

It’s pretty clear whatever they are planning to do is not on par with what be offered on Xbox.

Why you people want to through this again? You were one year saying how Microsoft wouldn’t make Bethesda games exclusive but the very same day the acquisition went through they changed narrative to say exactly the opposite. Now you wanna go through this again lol. If Microsoft were planning to make new games available for those consoles they would have said it. Instead they are clearly going out of their way to specifically not say that. They have never said they will make new games for those consoles, if they do when would they make them available and how.

It’s pretty clear whatever they are planning to do is not on par with what be offered on Xbox.

I'll make this really simple for you

You're a regulator who's concerned about COD going exclusive to Xbox, and MS responds to you with this
Q8gGoXz.jpg

What conclusion do you take?

Kokoloko85

The fact that they mention COD on Switch
just kills any remaining of the discussion.
They want gamepass on all the other non windows, non xbox platforms.

I could see a 1st party version of gamepass on other platforms in the future

Reactions: JLB

Flutta

Banned

The majority wont. Like you said this will only give room to more shooters taking COD’s place. I mean COD got so big because it was on every major gaming plattform, (Ninty aside 🤣) it would be a blunder for MS and Act to go full exclusive with it. That would hurt the popularity of that franchise big time.

The majority of COD players are on the PlayStation ecosystem i believe and MS knows it. They ofcourse want to go the exclusive route no doubt, but i do think they will try to do it in stages not right away.

Also Sony knows they can’t bank on COD anymore so they will heavily promote other shooters to take its place as much as possible. Will they succeed who knows i don’t care tbh.

These corpos are fighting eatchother for our attention in the end, competition is for us customers. So let them fight i’d say 🥊

THE DUCK

I'll make this really simple for you

You're a regulator who's concerned about COD going exclusive to Xbox, and MS responds to you with this
Q8gGoXz.jpg

What conclusion do you take?

If you read carefully instead of just seeing what you want to see, all this says is they will continue to offer it through the term of the existing agreement. Then they say they will make "them" available beyond the existing agreement. "them" is very clearly existing titles, not new ones that have not been released.
And yes, Sony fans can continue to enjoy the games they love (the ones that are out already. And yes, looks at us, we will bring out Nintendo games on their ancient platform, hmmmm, what can we bring.......lets say COD mobile? A few old games on cloud? Of course.

If you read carefully instead of just seeing what you want to see, all this says is they will continue to offer it through the term of the existing agreement. Then they say they will make "them" available beyond the existing agreement. "them" is very clearly existing titles, not new ones that have not been released.
And yes, Sony fans can continue to enjoy the games they love (the ones that are out already. And yes, looks at us, we will bring out Nintendo games on their ancient platform, hmmmm, what can we bring.......lets say COD mobile? A few old games on cloud? Of course.

If you actually read the blog, you'd realize they're talking about COD the franchise.

4xjmQ7b.png

Nice job flip-flopping and not answering the question though

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Separately, Microsoft said it has committed to Sony that popular franchises it acquires from Activision Blizzard will remain available on PlayStation under Activision's existing deal with Sony, and that it has offered to extend the deal on a "multiyear basis." The existing deal with Sony runs until 2024, Smith said.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

I think Ms got out played and didn't think anti trust interest by congress was too serious.

PS bought Bungie and then was explicit in saying destiny was staying multi plat. Ps announces that 10 gaas games are coming. Ps is pivoting away from their relience on COD. Their deal last week was reported as continuing til 2023. Now ps has a shit load of multiplayer games coming and Ms decided to play nice all of a sudden.

oldergamer

I think Ms got out played and didn't think anti trust interest by congress was too serious.

PS bought Bungie and then was explicit in saying destiny was staying multi plat. Ps announces that 10 gaas games are coming. Ps is pivoting away from their relience on COD. Their deal last week was reported as continuing til 2023. Now ps has a shit load of multiplayer games coming and Ms decided to play nice all of a sudden.
That makes no sense man and you have things happening in the wrong order. MS doesn't spent 70 billion on a purchase and think that won't have to get regulatory approval. You are acting like they have never made huge purchases before?

MS has been saying from day 1 that they intend to keep these franchises on these platforms. It had nothing to do with Sony buying bungie. Sony has yet to pivot away from anything COD. They still have to promote it as part of the current agreement ( 2023 as you mentioned )

Xbox already has a shit load of multiplayer games. they have had them since launching Xbox live. Sony putting a greater focus on multiplayer isn't going to cause a course correction for Xbox in that space.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

If you actually read the blog, you'd realize they're talking about COD the franchise.

4xjmQ7b.png

Nice job flip-flopping and not answering the question though

I read the blog just fine and answered you just fine, it's your inability to comprehend basic things that betrays you.
What you are saying changes nothing, they are prepared to move forward with the "franchise" still being on Sony going forward. What the difference will be is what parts. Nothing of what they said precludes them from decided what parts move where.

THE DUCK

And we have no idea what said contract is, it could be a multiyear contract for Warzone. And I bet MS would love to leave that on PS4/5. You are clueless. Your clever video posting is is more about you than me.

I read the blog just fine and answered you just fine, it's your inability to comprehend basic things that betrays you.
What you are saying changes nothing, they are prepared to move forward with the "franchise" still being on Sony going forward. What the difference will be is what parts. Nothing of what they said precludes them from decided what parts move where.

No, you didn't answer me at all. What's your conclusion as the regulator?

And we have no idea what said contract is, it could be a multiyear contract for Warzone. And I bet MS would love to leave that on PS4/5. You are clueless. Your clever video posting is is more about you than me.

Yeah. I bet the only reason ESO, F76 or Minecraft haven't been pulled is because of these multiyear contracts

You really are an idiot

THE DUCK

Yeah. I bet the only reason ESO, F76 or Minecraft haven't been pulled is because of these multiyear contracts

You really are an idiot

Sony wouldn't pull these nor would MS, it's clear that MS treats long term multiplayer online games completely differently than blockbuster AAA titles. But I suppose that's confusing for you.

Ah yes, extend a contract with Warzone... I'm the clueless one.
So extend the contract to you means MS will continue to offer exclusive modes and features on the PlayStation even after the acquisition? That would be the first time I've seen a platform hold make games on other systems better than what's on their own. MS updated Minecraft Dungeons for Xbox but didn't seem to make a PlayStation 5 version of the game. So even that isn't the same.

As long as MS provides a version of CoD on PlayStation albeit streaming or something like Warzone the sprit of what they told regulators is being upheld. They're under no obligation to provide brand new native PS5 versions of any new CoD after the acquisition is complete. PS4 would work perfectly and would be much easier to port to Switch as well.

Top Bottom