• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mister ED and Ducktales Star Alan Young Dead at 96

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/alan-young-dead-mister-ed-816846

Alan Young, who answered to the name “Willburrrrrrrrrrrrr” on Mister Ed, the wacky 1960s sitcom that revolved around a talking horse, has died. He was 96.

Young, who for six seasons played straight man to a golden palomino, a gelding who was named Bamboo Harvester, died Thursday of natural causes at the Motion Picture & Television Home in Woodland Hills. He was there for more than four years.

Young himself was the voice of a talking bird, playing Scottish miser Scrooge McDuck (the uncle of Donald Duck and great uncle of Huey, Dewey, and Louie) on the 1987-90 syndicated series DuckTales.

And a decade before Mister Ed, the good-natured actor hosted CBS’ The Alan Young Show, which won an Emmy Award for best variety series and earned Young a trophy for best actor as well.

On the big screen, Young played David Filby (and his son James) in MGM’s sci-fi classic The Time Machine (1960), starring Rod Taylor.

As a small child I won Trivial Pursuit against the grown-ups by knowing his name. Used to live Mr. Ed on Nick at Nite. RIP.

SoulUnison

Banned
I'd been waiting for this - not in a mean or morbid way - but he was getting really old.

I remember when Kingdom Hearts II came out, and then Birth by Sleep years later, and everybody was wondering if he was still in good enough health to be voicing Scrooge.

BbS was 6 years ago.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I hope the first episode of the upcoming DuckTales remake/boot/whatever pays tribute to him.

I'd been waiting for this - not in a mean or morbid way - but he was getting really old.

I remember when Kingdom Hearts II came out, and then Birth by Sleep years later, and everybody was wondering if he was still in good enough health to be voicing Scrooge.

BbS was 6 years ago.

He still played him in DuckTales Remastered, and that came out three years ago.

NOOO! I was thinking about the possibilities of a DuckTales reboot. :__:

RIP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DuckTales#Television_reboot

I was surprised to hear that he did the Scrooge McDuck voice in the Ducktales Remastered game. It is almost a crime that The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck wasnt animated with him in the 90s or early 2000s.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Funny. As a kid o was familiar with both shows. Ducktales after school and Mr. Ed on Nick at Nite later on. I never knew he was on both.

RIP Uncle Scrooge.

It's amazing to think that DuckTales is almost 30 years now. Alan Young was already 66 when he recorded most of that dialogue and we only just lost him.

RIP, I looked him up a couple months ago and honestly I was a bit surprised he was still alive, 96 is a lot of years.

Just to put in perspective how long Alan Young was in business? The Alan Young Show, mentioned in the OP, was a radio program that debuted in 1944. Prior to that, the show had a different host: Eddie Cantor...

Eddie Cantor is a character on Boardwalk Empire.

Aside from his legendary voice used for Scrooge, I actually liked him as 7 Zark 7 in Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman) as well as the toy maker in Great Mouse Detective.

RIP

JSoup

Banned
I met him once and got his autograph, at a convention he was passing through, about a year before DuckTales Remastered was announced. Good guy.

Alan Young was an important voice of my childhood, not only as Scrooge in Ducktales, but also as Jack Allen on the radio show Adventures in Odyssey. I will keep him and his loved ones in my prayers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom