• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mister ED and Ducktales Star Alan Young Dead at 96

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had no idea he also did Mr Ed. I only knew him from Ducktales.

Once you knew his voice, you could spot him in other things. For example, he was in one of my favorite games of all time doing basically the same Scottish voice.

Bye, Haggis!

Haggis.gif

Zomba13

:( This makes me so sad. Uncle Scrooge is one of my favourite Disney characters. I loved Ducktales so much.

RIP Unca Scrooge :(

DrStruts

Neo Member
Very sad news. The man was a legend and it was expected that the end was nigh when he was reaching his late nineties. Still, rest in peace you glorious man.

Loved his work in radio but I wasn't aware of some of the other stuff he did, well I did know of him as Mr. Ed but didn't know he was in a lot of stuff I enjoyed when I was young. RIP

JSoup

Banned
Downloading that one magic lamp movie now. Mostly because I just read that apparently fans were all ticked about it supposedly not being like the source material and I don't really remember that.

TreIII

So glad they made the new Duck Tales game while he was alive. RIP.

Same. I fully expected that game was going to be the absolute last time he was going to be Scrooge and June Foray as Magica.

That just makes that game all the more special. Whoever takes up the mantle for the upcoming Ducktales toon will have a lot to live up to! *salutes*

Kirye

OMG

I just decided to play Ducktales Remastered for the first time yesterday, got so excited that it was the original voice actor for Scrooge, and now he's passed away!

:( RIP

RIP Alan Young, after a long time of not watching Ducktales, I was glad when I heard your voice in Kingdom Hearts and then in Ducktales remastered.

Hopefully the new Scrooge does half a job as well as you did.

Garlador

I knew he was very old, so I'm not exactly surprised. He was prolific and doing the voice of Scrooge well into his 90s.

Still, a significant part of my childhood and he's going to be sorely missed. Life is like a mystery...

Apathy

Uncle Scrooge is gone. I would always rush home after school to watch Duck Tales. The crotchety old miser that really did care about his family. Today a part of my childhood has died.

El Odio

Banned
Wow, and I just went through Ducktales Remastered again earlier this week. I actually enjoy most of the added cutscenes/stories and thought it was super cool how he came back to voice Scrooge. I bet he had fun with it. Sad to hear he's gone now.

Alan Young will always be the definitive voice of Scrooge McDuck, to this day I also hear his voice in my head reading the Barks and Rosa comics (got hooked on both Ducktales and the greatness of the Scrooge/Donald comics back in the 80s)

He continued to play Scrooge up until recently too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeRYuMEM_4k

So great but you can tell how tired he sounds both in the Mickey short and Ducktales remastered, but still really awesome he was still proudly carrying the character even in 2016.

Once you knew his voice, you could spot him in other things. For example, he was in one of my favorite games of all time doing basically the same Scottish voice.

Bye, Haggis!

Haggis.gif

...I didn't know this until just now... now I'm even sadder. :( But 96 is a good long life, and how amazing that he was able to bring a lot of happiness to people from multiple generations. He'll live on forever through his iconic performances <3. I look forward to sharing the original Duck Tales with my kids someday.

I was surprised to hear that he did the Scrooge McDuck voice in the Ducktales Remastered game. It is almost a crime that The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck wasnt animated with him in the 90s or early 2000s.

THIS. Was always my fantasy that we would someday get a dedicated sequel to the original series based on both Rosa's stories and art style, can you imagine? If only Disney's TV animation division had even an ounce of the kind of ambition and vision that Michael Eisner had when he ushered in the golden age of Disney afternoon shows (as much of a raging jerk the guy apparently was). One of Eisner's main goals with Ducktales and the other afternoon shows was to finally bring back high quality animation to TV cartoons which Hanna Barbera's cheaply made factory shows had helped kill off for several decades (Jonny Quest had great production value though). I'm really skeptical the new Ducktales series can pull it off but we'll see.

We all knew this was coming sooner or later. Just remember he lived a really long life and was still able to play the part at 96 years old. RIP.

Acorn

RIP you legend, didn't know he was English - fooled me. Usually I can pick out fake scottish accents (I'm scottish).

gblues

Banned

Bye, Haggis!

Haggis.gif

One of my favorite interactions:

H: "I am Haggis McMutton, of the clan McMutton."
G: "Haggis. That's an unusual name."
H: "I suppose it is. But Haggis is just a nickname! Me given name is 'Heart-Liver-and-Kidneys-Boiled-in-the-Stomach-of-the-Animal McMutton."
G: "Oh! So, your parents were expecting a girl?"
H: "Aye."

the Ducktales remake game might not have set the world on fire, but I still think it served a valuable purpose. If nothing else, it at least got the band back together to re-voice the characters. June Foray got to reprise her character and she's 98 as of today.

its a better send off to the original characters and the people who played them then having nothing at all. So yeah, I'm glad it exists, even if it ain't perfect.

linkboy

the Ducktales remake game might not have set the world on fire, but I still think it served a valuable purpose. If nothing else, it at least got the band back together to re-voice the characters. June Foray got to reprise her character and she's 98 as of today.

its a better send off to the original characters and the people who played them then having nothing at all. So yeah, I'm glad it exists, even if it ain't perfect.

Yep, it's why I treasure that game (and where's the PS4 port, glares at Capcom). Sure, it wasn't perfect, but it was one last chance I got to experience the cast of a show that I adore. Ducktales is my favorite cartoon, hands down.

My eyes actually watered up when I saw this thread. I knew his passing would happen soon, but it's still hard.

Ducktales means so much to me. It was one of the first cartoons that I can remember getting hooked on.

RIP Mr. Young and thank you for the wonderful memories. I'm looking forward to sharing the magic that is Ducktales with my son when I have him for the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom