• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 11 review bombed because of ‘SJW propaganda’ and micro-transactions

Beautiful female faces.

D4ZpW4RW4AA69hc.jpg
They say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but in this case, I’d rather my eyes just be in the stomach of a beholder...

Isn’t review bombing a made up buzz term? I mean, they are user reviews. If people don’t like a game because of X, Y or Z they are free to dislike it and leave a poor review. Which is what they are doing. Everyone who likes the game is free to leave positive reviews.

I mean, if bots are being used to pump fake reviews into a system, then that is an abuse. But, if users aren’t happy, then it’s not review bombing, it’s just reviewing poorly among the public.

Last edited:

PaulBizkit

Why did they have to focus so much on non-reveiling clothes? It's not like women are 50% of their demographic...

I dont care for sexy outfits, but i think they could AT LEAST convey a different idea on their sexual tones...

Hinedorf

Banned
Going to disagree about microtransactions. If you don't want to partake you don't have to. If you do, it's there.

People need to start accepting this as the norm. Microtransactions are ultimately beneficial for both sides and keep the ecosystem alive allowing for future MK games.

I'm of the policy that if I like a game enough I will buy DLC/Cosmetics for the purpose of supporting games I like. If you don't have the money, don't spend it, if you do, enjoy what you want.

You could play MK11 and never bother with the Microtransaction page.

The small horde trying to die on this mountain is a minority that's shrinking every year. Money dictates decisions, not complaints

Handy Fake

Coming from an empirical standpoint? Absolutely.

Same shit.

33811276888_64449fd547_o.png
This is bollocks. And a rather awful, politically motivated post at that.
I suggest you look up the reasons behind Iran's dip into dogmatic Islam and its connection to the leaderships in the 80s.

By the by:

Posts like this don't help further your argument, just for future reference.

Last edited:

Going to disagree about microtransactions. If you don't want to partake you don't have to. If you do, it's there.

People need to start accepting this as the norm. Microtransactions are ultimately beneficial for both sides and keep the ecosystem alive allowing for future MK games.

I'm of the policy that if I like a game enough I will buy DLC/Cosmetics for the purpose of supporting games I like. If you don't have the money, don't spend it, if you do, enjoy what you want.

The small horde trying to die on this mountain is a minority that's shrinking every year. Money dictates decisions, not complaints

If the game wasn't changed to push those MTX I would say just ignore it, but the difficulty/progression is tuned to encourage extra purchases. That is where I draw the line. They sell costumes, kombat packs etc already. Seeing the loading screen encouraging buying skip fight tokens is a joke and seeing the store selling the Crystals already. If it was something that really wasn't so engrained then sure, just ignore it. But I would say this game is probably one of the worst so far.

This is bollocks. And a rather awful, politically motivated post at that.
I suggest you look up the reasons behind Iran's dip into dogmatic Islam and its connection to the leaderships in the 80s.

By the by:

Posts like this don't help further your argument, just for future reference.
No it's not, and it's not politically motivated. These are both dangerous ideas and sets of ideology that have negative ramifications on society, rights, freedoms and as clearly shown creative works. The only political aspect in relation to Iran is that these ideals are a part of their civic code and enforced by morality police which includes fines and jailing for women in repeat violation of Islamic moral code.

So don't give me any of that bullshit, the younger generations are trying to revolt against these things to a degree but it's not working. Don't be an apologist, don't try to rationalize or derive logic and reason in this psychosis, it's not a good look.

Last edited:

It depends whether or not micro-transactions have had a negative influence in the design choices of the video game. Customers will naturally be far more critical of a product they payed with their own money for rather than professional reviewers, they don't need to accept anything. People can complain. And can voice themselves, and i don't see your dismissal of them as something grounded in reality.

Last edited:
I have not played this game and I have no interest in playing it due to my lack of liking fighter games. I have been intrigued by the story of Mortal Kombat in the past mostly due to the movies. While the Jax ending sounds ridiculous because slavery has always existed and still exists to this day (and still immoral, etc) the biggest offender that I am hearing here and everywhere else is... the microtransactions and horrible grind. I have heard the echo of the female characters design changes for woke points, but honestly, that shit doesn't bother me. What bothers me in any game are microtransactions and excessive grind. I pay for a full game and a full experience, not to have something locked behind paywalls or again an excessive grind. If it's just cosmetic stuff, I don't really care because time was taken to make it and the artists have to be compensated somehow. But it sounds like in order to succeed in the towers you have to have certain gear which is only obtained by either grinding or paying $$$. That is a problem and I don't like it. Let the management team get roasted for such poor decisions.

Reactions: 888

SonGoku

Im ok with games with mtx flopping hard, the more flops then pubs will start taking a hint
Its disgusting really, mtx and other f2p mechanics have no place in paid games.

People need to start accepting this as the norm
How about no? Its this mentality that enabled pubs to push mtx so far.

Last edited:

Handy Fake

No it's not, and it's not politically motivated. These are both dangerous ideas and sets of ideology that have negative ramifications on society, rights, freedoms and as clearly shown creative works. The only political aspect in relation to Iran is that these ideals are a part of their civic code and enforced by morality police which includes fines and jailing for women in repeat violation of Islamic moral code.

So don't give me any of that bullshit, the younger generations are trying to revolt against these things to a degree but it's not working. Don't be an apologist, don't try to rationalize or derive logic and reason in this psychosis, it's not a good look.
I appreciate your point, and I'm in no way an "apologist". But you're trying to shoehorn a tragedy of political and religious oppression into this and it's madness. It's the same overblown fallacy as shouting "Nazi" at every person you perceive of slighting the moral code.
Do I agree with censorship? To a degree. Do I think there are overreactions in the media and in society at the minute? Of course. But it's no different to when I was growing up in the 80s and my formative years in the 90s.
Maybe it's because I've seen all this furore before and it all turns into a storm in a teacup. I suppose you could level the term "blasé" at me and you wouldn't be far off. ;)
But then I am an old, cynical man reaching my fortieth year and it just seems to be needlessly angry all the time on here. It's like kicking back against someone kicking back against someone kicking back and it's going to continue in a vicious circle until someone takes a deep breath and takes the high road for a bit.

I apologise for slightly overreacting to your post too - I really do dislike such subjects being brought into discussion as point-scoring exercises and while I do see your point (although I disagree as to the magnitude of the analogy), it's yet another issue where nobody is going to come out on top until there's someone prepared to step back and take stock.

Sorry for the wall of text.
EDIT: They can fuck off with the microtransactions though. ;)

Last edited:

JoduanER2

I like this. SJW idiots will not be tolerated, nor political agendas. Maybe the "wakanda" ending isnt soo offensive but the trump thing surely is, as the "respectful" outfits... Some people never learn

joe_zazen

I have not played this game and I have no interest in playing it due to my lack of liking fighter games. I have been intrigued by the story of Mortal Kombat in the past mostly due to the movies. While the Jax ending sounds ridiculous because slavery has always existed and still exists to this day (and still immoral, etc) the biggest offender that I am hearing here and everywhere else is... the microtransactions and horrible grind. I have heard the echo of the female characters design changes for woke points, but honestly, that shit doesn't bother me. What bothers me in any game are microtransactions and excessive grind. I pay for a full game and a full experience, not to have something locked behind paywalls or again an excessive grind. If it's just cosmetic stuff, I don't really care because time was taken to make it and the artists have to be compensated somehow. But it sounds like in order to succeed in the towers you have to have certain gear which is only obtained by either grinding or paying $$$. That is a problem and I don't like it. Let the management team get roasted for such poor decisions.

From what I know, It is more a case of them understanding the mentality of collectors and gamblers and exploiting that rather than nobody being able to progress in towers. They are using randomised reward whale hooks not fine mesh nets. I think doing things that are NOT designed to exploit those with certain predilections is way less predatory and immoral then those that do.

Last edited:
I appreciate your point, and I'm in no way an "apologist". But you're trying to shoehorn a tragedy of political and religious oppression into this and it's madness. It's the same overblown fallacy as shouting "Nazi" at every person you perceive of slighting the moral code.
Do I agree with censorship? To a degree. Do I think there are overreactions in the media and in society at the minute? Of course. But it's no different to when I was growing up in the 80s and my formative years in the 90s.
Maybe it;s because I've seen all this furore before and it all turns into a storm in a teacup. I suppose you could level the term "blasé" at me and you wouldn't be far off. ;)
But then I am an old, cynical man reaching my fortieth year and it just seems to needlessly angry all the time on here. It's like kicking back against someone kicking back against someone kicking back and it;s going to continue in a vicious circle until someone takes a deep breath and takes the high road for a bit.

I apologise for slightly overreacting to your post too - I really do dislike such subjects being brought into discussion as point-scoring exercises and while I do see your point (although I disagree as to the magnitude of the analogy), it's yet another issue where nobody is going to come out on top until there's someone prepared to step back and take stock.

Sorry for the wall of text.
EDIT: They can fuck off with the microtransactions though. ;)
Is it really an overreaction though, because censorship and these kind of ideals all lead to one eventuality. It's just an example of what happens with extremist ideological shifts in society and presently we're battling one with the extreme left and SJW's.

It's negatively impacting our society, our way of life, our media, our movies, our books, our video games, our outlook on style, the way we can speak etc. It's dangerous stuff and the beginnings of extremism need to be met with examples of its ends.

Last edited:

Handy Fake

Is it really an overreaction though, because censorship and these kind of ideals all lead to one eventuality. It's just an example of what happens with extremist ideological shifts in society and presently we're battling one with the extreme left and SJW's.

It's negatively impacting our society, our way of life, our media, our movies, our books, our video games, our outlook on style etc. It's dangerous stuff and the beginnings of extremism need to be met with examples of its ends.
You could similarly argue that the Extreme Left is a kickback against the rise of the Extreme Right, though? If you get my point?
It's needless aggro and one upmanship and nobody comes out looking too clever.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Funny shit is I'm not buying the game bcus they are hypocrites and gave in to the sjw and their over sexualized talk, by changing how the women warriors look but leaving the men as is, although ppl can say their sexualized too.

You could similarly argue that the Extreme Left is a kickback against the rise of the Extreme Right, though? If you get my point?
It's needless aggro and one upmanship and nobody comes out looking too clever.
You really couldn't though, the things going on with the alt-right is a lot of posturing and laughable inaction whereas people on the far left are actually influencing mainstream aspects of society.

You could go there, but I'd say you're wrong.

Handy Fake

You really couldn't though, the things going on with the alt-right is a lot of posturing and laughable inaction whereas people on the far left are actually influencing mainstream aspects of society.

You could go there, but I'd say you're wrong.
Well, I think we'd have to agree to disagree on that. But, as I say, I apologise for overreacting a little at you in my original post. I spend a lot of time arguing over this issue on my local messageboard and I think the problems I've had with the misinformed right on there coloured my view of your post. I'm sure you'll appreciate we live in very odd times, politically, and trying to keep your head is getting increasingly difficult. ;)

Well, I think we'd have to agree to disagree on that. But, as I say, I apologise for overreacting a little at you in my original post. I spend a lot of time arguing over this issue on my local messageboard and I think the problems I've had with the misinformed right on there coloured my view of your post. I'm sure you'll appreciate we live in very odd times, politically, and trying to keep your head is getting increasingly difficult. ;)
No worries.

No to bomb reviewing. You can just not buy the game you have problem with, or make memes about it. No need for such hate

It is hateful to review something poorly if I view it poorly? Do you think reviews should be abolished unless they are positive?

HATE?!? lol. If you view that as hateful you need to check yourself. There are things far worse out there to save the hate word for.

I think peoples problem with mtx is that they alter decisions that go into designing the core gameplay and balance. for ex. its not just if you dont like them dont buy them... its if i dont want to buy them i have to waste time on manufactured grinding, when clearly they are encouraging you to speed up the process and spend a little. if there was no mtx to speed up the grinding then the grinding would be better balanced from drawn out annoyance to a pleasurable effort requirement.

if youre balancing a games playtime with no mtx in mind you want it to keep the player engaged for the perfect duration. if youre balancing your game around the player spending money, then youre going to make the game tiresome and unnecessarily elongated

the whole if you dont like then dont buy really can only apply to maybe cosmetic mtx that dont affect the games actual numbers and design one bit.

Last edited:
I had nothing against Jax ending, but microtransactions are the cancer of gaming.
They can be handled properly e.g. Halo 5 or CS:GO which continually helps to fund development and adding things to the game, but most implement them improperly and throw off game balance in a negative fashion. Microtransations are not inherently bad, but poor implementation can be.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Wink

I wish critics reviews would lower scores significantly when it's apparent that insidious microtransaction schemes are incoming. But then the fanboys will be outraged about that in turn. It's all just hilarious to me.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
it deserves shit for inapp BULLSHIT
rate the game a 9
then give it a 7 because of the inapp micro crap.
that will teach em

Last edited:
Not into fighting games lately, but from what I've seen the game looks phenomenal.

Hmm. Is this the first game to really bomb due to an 'SJW' backlash? I know ME:Andromeda tanked, but didn't they blame the issues on people blaming SJW features?

Is this the first mechanically sound game, that looks good that has lost points solely because of a perceived narrative? :unsure:
30fps cut scenes are jarring, so definitely not 'mechanically' sound. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

Naw it will discourage people from buying the game. Get woke go br-

https://venturebeat.com/2019/04/24/...cessful-launch-ever-years-of-content-planned/

tumblr_inline_obddivLYdW1qderj8_500.gif

Meh, doesn't make sense. Initial launch is before user reviews are up and populated. Its based on Previews and "Critic" reviews.

Sooo yeah, disagree with your comment. User Reviews could cause loss of future sales..kinda like TLJ and Solo. TLJ did great number wise but Solo suffered for it.

All they had to do was temper the MTX and most people would have been perfectly fine.

30fps cut scenes are jarring, so definitely not 'mechanically' sound.

It is jarring, what I saw during an interview with boon was the lower FPS is due to having higher quality effects going on during the Xray style attacks. What bothers me isn't that but the 30fps lock on the menu and krypt. That is where it bothers me most.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
Im most offended that the female fighters are now more masculine than the male ones are. Total turnoff.

Enjay

Banned
There are a bunch of other reasons this is being review bombed. It's like we've all united to review bomb this in a way.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
What if they cut out all MTX from MK11 and the end result was we never got another MK game.

Are all of you happy to die on that hill of losing a video game simply because of the morality of MTX?

Whether you realize it or not, you are advocating against the success and viability of the future of gaming, I'm not sure you're supporting the right causes, just my opinion

#Phonepunk#

Banned
guys, if this makes you unhappy then DONT BUY THE GAME.

People buying the game and review bombing it cause they dont like that one part of it makes you a damn hypocrite. I know its hard to not buy something you like, but thats the only real way to send a message to these people. Your user review bombs aint doing shit.

This. We need for real boycotts. If you pay money to see these films and games and then complain and yet keep paying for more you are only clowning yourself.

I started watching a TLJ video about Star Wars being ruined the other day and the guy opened it by saying he had seen it multiple times in theater and bought the blu Ray, I just shut that down, yeah these people are clowns.

If you are upset, withhold your money. It is the only form of protest that will work. Should be so easy these days given how simple it is to get it for free.

Last edited:
Top Bottom