• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Character Select Screen Leaked (Spoilers) [Update: Stage Renders]

Chairhome

I loved Reptile's! I only heard his and Johnny Cage's.

Did you guys hear the rumor that they're taking a page out of EA's book and going to allow online through "tokens/passes"? Free for first time buyers, used buyers have to buy a new one from WB. I personally don't care either way...

Foil

Those renders look great, such a fantastic selection of stages. You reading this Capcom? Yeah... I wonder if we'll get some DLC stages? One missing that sticks out for me is the MK2 Portal. I'd really like to see updates of these in the future.

DLC maybe?
mkstages.jpg

Chairhome said:
Did you guys hear the rumor that they're taking a page out of EA's book and going to allow online through "tokens/passes"? Free for first time buyers, used buyers have to buy a new one from WB. I personally don't care either way...

I don't understand why launch dlc gets more hate than this.

DryEyeRelief said:

They're both bullshit.

I'm more pissed about the "online pass" though. I was planning on buying the game for like $30 a month or two down the line.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
DryEyeRelief said:

Because people who buy the game new and you know, reward the people who made the game, get it free.

shinobi602 said:
They're both bullshit.

I'm more pissed about the "online pass" though. I was planning on buying the game for like $30 a month or two down the line.

Did you see how much content is on the disc? If there was like 6 fighters and 3 stages, I'd understand, but you get more than 20 fighters and 30 stages. Plus a shit load of modes, bonuses and extras.

fernoca

Chairhome said:
Yep. An 'online pass'.
It was mentioned in the leaded-text file of the demo.

And yep, no problem if you buy it new.
And if you buy it used, then with what you saved you can buy the online pass, and probably still pay less than a new copy. :p

Sinatar said:
Because people who buy the game new and you know, reward the people who made the game, get it free.

It's a reward? So it's really a 70 dollar game then.

Not only do I have to buy it at retail price new, but if I want to resell it, I'll have to do it at a lower price than usual because of this online pass.

G-Fex

Foil said:
Those renders look great, such a fantastic selection of stages. You reading this Capcom? Yeah... I wonder if we'll get some DLC stages? One missing that sticks out for me is the MK2 Portal. I'd really like to see updates of these in the future.

DLC maybe?
mkstages.jpg

it was so cool in Shaolin Monks to go beat up those floating guys.

fernoca

The only one I can see affected by the online pass, are the ones renting it. Yeah, disappointing.

But buying it used, well:
If you're buying it for around $50 you might as well buy it new.
If you buy it for $40, you'll need to pay $10 more so $50 = $10 savings! :p
Buy it for $30, + $10 pass = $40 = $20 savings!! :O!​

:p

Teknopathetic said:
"It's a reward? So it's really a 70 dollar game then."

...What? Your logic makes no sense.

It's not supposed to make sense.
It's not a reward because it doesn't concern the people buying it new. It's a penalty for buying/selling it used.

"It's not supposed to make sense.
It's not a reward because it doesn't concern the people buying it new. It's a penalty for buying/selling it used."

You completely misunderstood what Sinatar said. Take another look.

DryEyeRelief said:
It's not a reward because it doesn't concern the people buying it new. It's a penalty for buying/selling it used.
You get a penalty of a $10 online pass for buying used, the developers get a penalty of $50 when you buy used.

fernoca

DryEyeRelief said:
He said "reward" for the ones that made the game, not the ones buying it. :p

SuperBonk

Yeah, I really don't mind the DLC or online pass. As a huge MK fan (yeah, it's been hard), this game has so many doses of pure fanservice that I can't resist pre-ordering it and buying any and all DLC that comes with it.

God, I hope nobody at WB or Netherrealm is reading this.

fernoca said:
He said "reward" for the ones that made the game, not the ones buying it. :p

Yeah I misread that but the same point is still there. Something that originally free now has a price on it. It's the same as DLC.

Aske

DryEyeRelief said:
Yeah I misread that but the same point is still there. Something that originally free now has a price on it. It's the same as DLC.

Wait...we used to get extra costumes and characters post-release in fighting games for free? When was this...?

SuperBonk said:
Yeah, I really don't mind the DLC or online pass. As a huge MK fan (yeah, it's been hard), this game has so many doses of pure fanservice that I can't resist pre-ordering it and buying any and all DLC that comes with it. .
G-Fex said:

She can do me "Fan" service any day!

get it? huh? huh? get it?

LordK

Aske said:
Wait...we used to get extra costumes and characters post-release in fighting games for free? When was this...?

Well we have gotten extra costumes and actually still do get extra costumes. As far as fighting games go, DOA comes to mind with like 4-10 alternate costumes per character or something. VF5 had extra costumes too. Soul Calibur 4 has an alt for each character and the "build your own" costume. Tekken 6 had alternate costumes with item customization too.

But yes, not post-release since they were already complete (Hello SF4 and MVC3!) costumes when the game was released.

Of course not characters though. :p

Foil said:

DLC maybe?
mkstages.jpg
Shang Tsung's Garden Day time = Palace Gates
Shand Tsung's Garden Night time = Warrior Shrine
Night Rooftop with Portal = The Portal
Day time Pit with Meteors = The Pit II

I bet the classic music mode will likely use those stage's music.

Which sucks, I'd still want a proper remake for The Portal and The Pit II.

I'm pretty sure that stage with two sets of stairs is in MK9... thought I've seen it in some trailers. Also Noob's dorfen is kind of a joke stage. Doubt they'll remake it even as DLC. If they would do it, it would probably be as the Balcony.

edit: okay they actually combined the Temple with that Shao Kahn Cave with Stairs stage into one I believe. Also Kahn does have a throne room which was recently revealed so I'm guessing that is kinda the replacement for this stage.

I'm also hoping that one of the stages will use the Kombat Tomb as classic music.

Gravijah

SolidSnakex said:
This was posted on TRMK

http://i.imgur.com/otQji.png[IMG]

It's supposed to be one of Mileena's alts.[/QUOTE]

It has clothes!

I really like that one.

[QUOTE=fernoca]I'm not talking to you, you used-games-buyer!! Renter!!!!
[spoiler]:p[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

Hey, I usually buy new unless I absolutely have to buy used. Though I am quite the prolific renter! :P

Every time I hear about this game I think about how they've boned them selves for the sequel, there isn't anything missing from this game the DLC fighters start into the who gives a crap about them camp.
The team has hardly had success creating new fighters, since 3 only quan chi and the blind guy seem to have lasted.

Tr4nce

I'm really liking the one that looks like the colosseum with all the crowd in it, it looked very good in motion in the movie which plays after the demo. Also liking the roof very much and the sand/desert kinda stage and Goro's Lair. It also seems that a few 'classic stages' are returning which is very nice if you ask me (courtyard for example). I'm thinking more and more about purchasing this game, but the problem is, I will never ever spend as much time on fighting games, then for example, when Street Fighter 2 came out. I just don't care anymore after a while. But Mortal Kombat is back, that's for sure.

Top Bottom