• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Watched Lately |OT| - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekyDad

51OI2F1UUML._SY445_.jpg

Holy shit, I gave it 30 minutes, but nah, can't do it. Perhaps, literally, the most cliche American Greetings card-like fucking cringe-fest I've ever tried to suffer through.

sol_bad

Red Notice - cinema

The movie made me laugh quite a bit but the film as a whole was quite average, I'd give it about a 6 out of 10, slightly above average. The action scenes were not very thrilling and I didn't really care about the characters. I did like how it was self aware though and how they comment on things like Gal Gadot appearing out of no where.

The twist with The Rock got me. At the start of the film my wife and I guessed that The Rock really was a thief but as the film went along I dismissed that idea and believed he was an actual "good guy". So it surprised me when he actually turned out to be working with Gadot.

Free Guy 6/10. Ok movie but I forgot most of it after few days. Ryan Reynolds was fine, story could be great only the execution was lacking something. Not whacky enough and real world part was kinda boring.

sol_bad

Last Night in Soho - cinema
I enjoyed this a fair bit, not Edgar Wrights best but still entertaining. I certainly didn't expect the twist at the end and I did enjoy the twist. Anya Taylor-Joy is fucking beautiful as usual and I enjoyed Thomasin McKenzie's acting even if her voice was tiny. I'll be happy to add this to my Edgar Wright library.

My problem with the film is that towards the end, the ghost men kept reminding me of the zombie people in The World's End and it was hard for me to take seriously.

The Green Knight - Amazon Prime
I'll admit straight up that I didn't understand entirely what was happening in this film but I really liked the visuals and the journey that Gawain went on. Don't expect any fighting or action because there isn't, just a slow paced journey across the countryside.

*EDIT*
Just have to add that I think it's appalling that Last Night in Soho is failing at the box office. Try and support it if you can. No, it's not the greatest film ever but it's different, and isn't that what we want in our films?

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Last Night in Soho - cinema
I enjoyed this a fair bit, not Edgar Wrights best but still entertaining. I certainly didn't expect the twist at the end and I did enjoy the twist. Anya Taylor-Joy is fucking beautiful as usual and I enjoyed Thomasin McKenzie's acting even if her voice was tiny. I'll be happy to add this to my Edgar Wright library.

My problem with the film is that towards the end, the ghost men kept reminding me of the zombie people in The World's End and it was hard for me to take seriously.

The Green Knight - Amazon Prime
I'll admit straight up that I didn't understand entirely what was happening in this film but I really liked the visuals and the journey that Gawain went on. Don't expect any fighting or action because there isn't, just a slow paced journey across the countryside.
Youtube a detailed explanation on The Green Knight. I think it'll make you appreciate it a lot more.

I saw Love Hard on Netflix.

I really enjoyed it! When I put it on, I was just looking for something light to watch with my girlfriend this weekend. And scrolling through I found this. On its surface its just another Xmas rom com. But somehow this film comes together to be better than it has any right to be!

The name of the movie is an homage to Die Hard. And besides mentioning the movie a couple times, there are lots of little call backs to Die Hard that I found amusing. But even being full of homage and call backs to other films, it still manages to be unique in its own way.

4/5 - Surprisingly good!

After that I rewatched Die Hard. God damn! Now that is still a GREAT fucking movie!

5/5 - Perfection

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Usually I set a watch list every year for the winter, but for whatever reason this year I haven't been in the mood to watch movies. I've been spending my time gaming instead. Hoping that itch comes back, I love doing a few winter movies a week.

Usually every winter I watch Eyes Wide Shut, In Bruges, Black Swan, Michael Clayton, and some others.

Last Night in Soho-

Soho was fucking boring. A slog of ugly neon montages and a mouse acting stupid running into traffic till will get a twist if you could even call it that. They even had a dumb as fuck final destination car hit, made me laugh.

Last edited by a moderator:

sol_bad

The Hunt - Netflix
This didn't get released in the cinemas here in Australia as far as I know which is a shame because this was hilariously funny. You wouldn't think it after seeing the trailer which tries to sell it as a serious film. Wife and I had a lot of fun with this and the last fight was pretty brutal. Short, sweet, violent and highly entertaining.

sol_bad

Rent - Stan
Wife and I watched this because we want to watch the new Tick Tick ... Boom film.
It was OK, just above average. I enjoyed the first half up until Adam Pascal and Rosario Dawson sing in the alleyway together. But then it feels like they need to cram so much story in the second half that there is no room to breath so all the emotional beats that should hit don't. I'm guessing the stage show is much longer so it takes it's time with all those plot points.

Great Hair

Banned

A forgettable movie with a handful good fights. Too many cooks.
3.5 out of 10

Solid Jackie Chan flick, precursor of Police Story? Those explosions were overkill. Better than Police Story 4, maybe even 3.

Laughably bad rip-off of the A-team with nobodies.
1.0 out of 10

not watched it all but i put Love Actually on last night. have never seen it before and had no idea WTF it was about. i watched about 30 minutes of it and not sure wtf it's about. i was too tired to stay awake but i will go back and start again.

what impressed me is how fucking amazing the cast is. maybe won't seem too great to americans but as a british person it's fucking bananas how many people i recognise in it:

alan rickman
emma thompson
hugh grant
kiera knightley
colin firth
liam neeson
bill nighy
gregor fisher
martine mccutcheon
andrew lincoln
laura linney
kris marshall
martin freeman
billy bob thornton
rowan atkinson
and many more....

whoever was in charge of casting fucking nailed it.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Promising Young Woman
I was expecting something more akin to basic instinct from the trailer but it was just long and boring and tame.

4/10 - The performances were still good

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I know what you did last summer

Man, I used to have such a crush for JLH in my early teens. Even now, rewatching the movie with 30+, I have to say she was extremely beautiful back then.

Anyway, the movie itself isn‘t very good. There is a lot of bad acting in here (especially from FPJ, as usual) and quite a lot of cringy dialog. Not the worst teeny slasher from that era though.

6/10

MrFunSocks

Banned
Watched One Shot the other night, had never heard about it and it didn’t really click until like half an hour in what the gimmick was haha. Pretty amazing what they managed to pull off. Some terrible acting, mainly from Ashley Greene, but the main SEAL guy was very good and believable.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Finished off the 6 part series Bad Sport on NF. Meh. Maybe a 5/10.

Not terrible, but each episode is about an hour, with exception of the drug trafficker race car guy which is 90 minutes.

Problem with most of them is there's too much filler. The first half hour is background story. It's like they had to drag out each episode to make sure they all hit a one hour minimum. The race car one was the worst. Think of it as watching a 2 hour movie and nothing happens till the 60 minute mark.

If you are a sports fan and still want to watch, I'd go with this order:

1. NCAA Basketball point shaving. Got to the point pretty fast. 8/10
2. Juventus soccer ref scandal. Probably the best paced one. 7/10
3-5. Take your pick. All have the first half hour being total filler. Ice skating, horse killing, cricket. Maybe cricket episode is best of these, but a few people in it have such thick accents you cant understand half the shit they say (bookmaker and Indian police chief). 4/10 each
6. Avoid. Drug dealer race car episode. This episode is a side story continuation of Cocaine Cowboys with some of the same people in it. No joke, I'd say 1 hour is background story and glamourizing his race car career. Where's the druggie parts? 1/10

The series is pretty low budget too because when it comes to interviews with people or a part involving wiretaps, they use the same background room thy sit in and same wiretap recording machine shown, even though it's different episodes!

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Last Night is Soho - I though the movie was pretty good, and the the two main female leads were interesting. The movie has some good turns in it but I saw the ending coming when the main character was researching in the library. It is also a movie that I think that the movie almost deals with Psychoses in a way. I found the movie OK, but nothing I would watch multiple times.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I watched The Last Duel last night and can see why it bombed. Telling the same story 3 times over with very little difference, especially in the main crucial part that the whole story is based around, just didn't really work.

Also the clearly rubber body at the end looks ridiculous, flopping about as if it has no skeleton.

Watched Venom: Let there be Carnage and was not impressed. Just another average comic book movie with pretty much nothing memorable.

Last edited:
OCAVB2O.gif

★★★★★ / I think this film is representative of the way that, in our post-internet culture, members of the opposite sex have become just another object we fetishize and feel the need to acquire. This is filtered through the classic “save the princess” video game structure, fighting through several mini-bosses until we reach the final boss who we ultimately conquer and run off with the prize (girl).

MrFunSocks

Banned
Watched the new Bruce Willis movie "Apex" - absolutely terrible. One of the worst movies I've ever seen lol. He really is just phoning it in with these D-grade direct to streaming movies. I swear there was maybe 10 mins of footage of Willis in it too, slowly meandering around like an old man who hurts to just stand up, and then a terrible green screen section at the end.

Also started watching Prisoners of the Ghostland, also seems terrible, but found one amazing part at the beginning where for a single shot they replaced nic cage with a body double and it's like they didn't even try to get one that matched his body hahah. He walks out in underwear, typical old man nic cage body with all his thick grey chest hair and not a ripped physique, then it cuts to a side on shot where you can't see his head and all of a sudden the body is a thicc muscly ripped dude with abs and big pecs with absolutely zero chest hair! Literally just that one 5 second at most scene, then back to the rest with him with all his chest hair and minus the ripped physique haha.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
Red Notice - Watchable and forgettable. 3/5
The Rock looked bored as fuck. Hopefully Uncharted will be better

Best line: "Vin Diesel´s casting video for Cats" ... why do we still employ overpaid, bad actors? With all the CGI, make the movies 100% CGI and create fake persona. Automatically $150 million cheaper.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The House Bunny - it was alright, some laugh out loud gags. There are definitely better raunchy comedies from the era, but worth a watch if you've never seen it and am open to dumb laughs.

Knights of Badassdom - I couldn't finish this one. It seems like it was made to target the geek audiences that were forming around the time of its release (Dungeons & Dragons becoming mainstream, et al). It's just painfully unfunny most of the time to me. Every actor in it has much better work on the CV

Watched the recent bluray release of the infamous - Nothing But Trouble. This was the first time the movie has been released in widescreen since it's original theatrical run. The movie is generally hated due to how weird it is but I've always had a strange enjoyment of it and it's dark comedy. Plus the production and set design are really great.

The bluray looked nice...except there's a really blatant audio issue where sound from the left channel seems to randomly fuck up, with volume randomly changing, weird echoing sound for certain dialogue and other strange things. It's tolerable but it's a shame they fucked that up as I don't this getting another release anytime soon.

GreenAlien

Dagon 2001
ufz71ki5yii21.jpg

This movie undoubtedly inspired countless japanese artists. Recommended for men of culture.
boobs - check
kungfu girlfriend - check
horny monstergirl -check
incest - check
useless nerd protagonist - check

Last edited:

sol_bad

The Greatest Showman - Disney+
I can't for the life of me work out why the critics didn't like this film. I enjoyed the story, the actors, loved the songs and loved the amount of bass in the audio design. I was totally invested in the story and got really angry at the inevitable.
The inevitable being Barnum's show completely falling apart and failing. I got angry because it failed via outside sources, not by his own doing.
Very fun film that I'd watch again and happily buy on blu ray. Zendaya's legs are smoking hot too, my wife hates her.

Great Hair

Banned
Shang-Chi - Folklore, Flying Seamonster, Terrible CGI, not bad, not good
Not as bad as i thought, even though the Folklore propaganda ...
Better than Black Panther (except for the mass-fights)
The worst Hero-Weapons in any Marvel Movie
Visuals 3 out of 5
Story 2 out of 5
Action 3 out 5
Audio 3 out of 5
Characters 2 out of 5 (best being the obese streamer with pubes as facial hair streaming the buss fight)
Pacing 3 out of 5

Final Score
16 out of 30 (53% good, 47% bad)

I Have Spoken GIF by IMDb

sol_bad

Equilibrium - Stan
Terrible movie in every single respect. I finally watched this after my wife made me watch it, she said she loved it when she first saw it. After watching it again she realised how bad it was. I like the idea of an emotionless society but the movie just didn't work for me. Cristian Bale was constantly emotional throughout the film and most people didn't realise? And the action scenes, holy shit, they are down right corny shit, only entertaining in a bad way. It failed at the box office, failed critically, doesn't have a cult following and the director went on to direct Ultraviolet before basically disappearing.

Tick Tick ... Boom - Netflix
Bloody hell Andrew Garfield is a great actor and a great singer. Really good movie this is, keep in mind it's a musical so you might not like this if you don't enjoy that genre. Wife and I watched Rent a few days before this because this film is about Jonathan Larson who created Rent. So yeah, it's an autobiographical film about his life, but Tick Tick ... Boom is also a stage show that Larson worked on about his own life.
End of the movie was really sad, knowing that Jonathan Larson worked his arse off to try and bring a stage show to life and then dying just before Rent's first show is heartbreaking.

Encanto - cinema
Beautiful film from Disney filled with lots of heart. It's about family, like Fast and the Furious, but not. The trailers for this were really good, just sold the basic concept so you really didn't know where the movie was going to go in terms of story. I won't say what the actual story is but if you enjoy Disney animated musical films you should check it out, lots of good songs in there. My favourite being Surface Pressure, works really well with the visuals on display.

Dune Part 1 - cinema
This movie certainly has it's flaws but it's still easily my number 1 film for the year. Two of it's flaws being that the fight choreography is abysmal and I honestly didn't care about any of the characters that died. Loved the story, the art design and visuals, so much texture to the world that Villenueve is presenting. The sound design is also impeccable in every aspect, the music just vibrates through your body. I feel sorry for anyone that watched this at home on their 65 inch TV and soundbar, hell, even a 10k home theatre system will not do this films audio justice. I also feel sorry for anyone that watched this at the cinemas without Dolby Atmos! Great movie and even though I think it's a great movie, can't say I have hype overload for the sequel.

teezzy

Banned
51OI2F1UUML._SY445_.jpg

Holy shit, I gave it 30 minutes, but nah, can't do it. Perhaps, literally, the most cliche American Greetings card-like fucking cringe-fest I've ever tried to suffer through.

Lmao compare that to my review ITT...

51lL62g8WAL._AC_.jpg

I'm a sucker for dude-based romantic comedies, especially those with a decently plotted love triangle. I'm a sap, sue me.
Steve Carell's ability to walk the tightrope between lovable chump who you can't help but empathize with, and awkward dolt who makes you wince in his inability to conform due to his inability read a room is on full display here.
Great Fall movie overall. Lots of warm colors. You really feel like you're on a vacation surrounded by the warmth of Dan's family, which only contrasts his internal emotional struggle more.
Still, you just wanna violently shake the dude, and scream, "Get over it, dude!" for the majority of the flick. There are a lot of times where Dane Cook is far more likeable as Dan's fitness focused brother, especially as Steve Carell's character tries to outshine him at every turn.
"Love is not a feeling, it's an ability," states Dan's daughter's love interest at a later point in the movie. If that's the message which the writer of Dan in Real Life wanted its audience to take away, then point well-taken.
Overall, I had fun. Seeing John Mulaney play the grandpa character was a treat also. I missed him from his days as Marty Crane in Frasier.

I really enjoyed myself, but I'm a cornball 😊

GeekyDad

The Big Short (2015)

the-big-short-characters-on-the-couch.jpg

Really, really good film. Terriftic cast who have chemistry. Surprised by how invested I got in the plot too. Would watch again.

Some of the actors feel unrecognizable in this film, in a good way. They really become the characters.
I'll try and give it another shot, but I couldn't get through it the time I tried to watch it. It just felt like I was being spoken to like a child. It felt like a very dumbed down way of telling the story.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Equilibrium - Stan
Terrible movie in every single respect. I finally watched this after my wife made me watch it, she said she loved it when she first saw it. After watching it again she realised how bad it was. I like the idea of an emotionless society but the movie just didn't work for me. Cristian Bale was constantly emotional throughout the film and most people didn't realise? And the action scenes, holy shit, they are down right corny shit, only entertaining in a bad way. It failed at the box office, failed critically, doesn't have a cult following and the director went on to direct Ultraviolet before basically disappearing.

Yea, if there's one thing Bale is incapable of as an actor it's subtlety it seems. At least early in his career.

ButchCat

I'm going through a David Fincher phase and so I ended up watching Gone Girl and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and enjoyed them both.

Gone Girl
I understand that the first 15 mins was written the way it was to serve the plot but man these first 15 mins are insufferable, who talks like that? After enduring the first 15 mins the film definitely starts grabbing you and it ends on a high note.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Really enjoyable film especially if you want to walk away feeling shit (for some reason). I thought Rooney Mara outside of the accent (isn't very consistent but serviceable ) was great.

Last edited:

NahaNago

Just got through rewatching Strange Magic. I really liked this movie and wish it had done better in the box office It really feels like a 90s cartoon musical. I tend to like musicals and I really liked the mom. My biggest issue with the movie has always been the design of the characters. They should have either gone full weird looking for both the light and dark fairy type creatures or made them both good looking. I think making them decent looking would have been better since you could have easily sold toys of them. I think the only movie I've ever watched more than this one is Beauty and the Beast.

OIP.w0X0222bxkQR6lkAOvmLyAHaK-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom