• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Candy Swap 2012 |OT| (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

8bit

Knows the Score
If i were to participate in these in the future i would just want all Ferrero (Kinder) candy :p

I originally had put a pack of Kinder Eggs in mine to send to Feep, but the lady in the post office asked me what sort of candy I was sending and said the US customs may destroy packages with Kinder Eggs in them, so I had to take them out. Unfortunately it also meant I was late in sending my revised package but I've let Feep know.

Anyway, I picked up mine from the post yesterday and am happy to find it is full of the sort of American Candies I hear about in TV shows but have never actually tried. My wife has already polished off the Milk Duds and I'm looking forward to Russian Roulette with the Jelly Bellys.

because it is huge and I don't have a resizing tool on my phone said:
wC8sl.jpg

Hey, caffeinedreamer! What's this thing?

umebomberkzoj9.png

I originally thought it was like a sour gobstopper or something, but the shape of the thing makes it look like a coated fruit.

The only English text on the wrapper is UME BOMBER, stamped on.

I'm gonna guess, since the name sounds like umeboshi, it's got a sour pickled plum in it.

Seriously, don't worry about it!
We both had a limit we both stuck to it, I don't feel as if I got the short end of the stick!

Twinkles where nice, not sure what the big fuss is about though ;)
Snickers peanut butter was tasty too.

More reviews to follow.

so the hostess cup cakes where nice too :)

didnt realise they had a short sell by date, will now sort my candy accordingly ;)

Lirlond

Posting on behalf of J Tourettes :

Thanks for the chocolates, NihonTiger90. The peanut butter meltaways are tasty shit, as are the buckeyes. Not so sure on the maple syrup chocolates though as could feel my body and teeth rotting straightaway!

Brianemone, I posted your vid to my Facebook wall and everyone agrees that your kids are adorable.

My favorite part is your littlest daughter at the end, holding the box of buckeyes, saying "Open! Open!"

Had the swap rules allowed it, I would have made you homemade buckeyes. They're much better than the boxed variety, though those are still pretty good.

Thanks again. That video was such an amazing surprise.

notworksafe

Next time I want to trade with someone in Ohio. New Mexican treats in exchange for homemade buckeyes and Skyline chili! :D

It really sucks when you spend well over 100 bucks and send it to the UK from America and get no response for days from your partner at all.

Come on taranatar let's work together.

Feep

Banned
I originally had put a pack of Kinder Eggs in mine to send to Feep, but the lady in the post office asked me what sort of candy I was sending and said the US customs may destroy packages with Kinder Eggs in them, so I had to take them out. Unfortunately it also meant I was late in sending my revised package but I've let Feep know.

Anyway, I picked up mine from the post yesterday and am happy to find it is full of the sort of American Candies I hear about in TV shows but have never actually tried. My wife has already polished off the Milk Duds and I'm looking forward to Russian Roulette with the Jelly Bellys.
Enjoy! The Jelly Belly flavors are pretty much my favorite fifteen, so I hope you enjoy them. = D

Received my package from r3d panda Tuesday but I've been rather busy so it took me a while to post here.

All dat jerky

So I tried out the jerky and damn, it is tasty. I'm glad you sent me a lot because I've already finished one bag and the big one won't last much longer either. There were some items that we've got over here as well, but you couldn't have known and it's ok. It could be just me but I noticed some little differences in taste so that was a pretty cool experience. I'm munching on some cheddar goldfish snacks and they are excellent. Great gaming food! The Reese's taste quite funny to my foreign tongue. I'm not really used to peanutbutter tasting that way. I think the chocolate tastes a little sweeter too but that could've been just me. It's been a great experience and you were a great partner. I will definitely take part in future candy swaps.

Thanks a lot dude!

PS: My dog absolutely loves the jerky. I was walking around through the living room, snacking on some jerky, and he just kept following me. It's too good to share everything with him though

Got my package from Baconsaurus!

IMG_0154.jpg

Hey Bacon, my girlfriend definitely approves! Those waffle syrup cookies....hhhhnnnnngggg

The attention to detail and describing all of the treats is going above and beyond. That letter was awesome. You definitely put me to shame lol. Seriously man I cannot thank you enough, this was a great experience and will get better upon each candy being consumed. I'll have to copy your style next time I partake in another candy swap. Hope you like mine, it's quite meaty.

!!THANKS MAN!! (I know I know.. I should have taken it landscape) :p
Glad you two are enjoying it. I had a lot of fun compiling all the snacks and candy and I and making the tags. I decided to add a little cultural/personal touch to it by adding the tags, so that you're able to experience the Dutch "gezelligheid". You are in luck that Sinterklaas is coming up with all the traditional candy that comes with it.

And again, thanks a lot!

notworksafe

Wow Cyport! Your package arrived today and there's some awesome stuff here. Chips, cookies, some local treats, the best candy bar in the world (Yorkie with raisins), and even some Olympic mascots! I'm getting over being sick so I'll hold off until I'm well before I dig in. :)

8s1Q2.jpg

Thanks so much!

Cyport also sent along a bit of a confirmation of how alike Ben Stiller and I really are!

LBLS5.jpg

SKINNER!

Banned
I'm surprised the Beef Jerky made it actually. I thought customs usually went loco with meat products. Still, they sooooo tasty.

I'm surprised the Beef Jerky made it actually. I thought customs usually went loco with meat products. Still, they sooooo tasty.
Did some research because I as well shipped some meat products to the US and all is fine if the meat is factory sealed. The same rule applies to every food product you make yourself at home. Your freshly baked cookies won't make it through customs.

And I agree, I'm so happy with my jerky

Thanks a lot Bearded Dudebro! What an awesome haul!
Surprisingly enough, they may be american candies but I've seen none of these here in Canada. You made some great choices!

By the way, your candies are on the way :)

Looks like everything showed up in great shape. I actually did a lot of research to find things that you wouldn't have in Canada. If course I had to throw in a Los Submarinos reference from Zombieland.

Perfect timing, I just got back in country today, looking forward to some candy soon.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Never done one of these, but I'd love to send people some proper jerky in exchange for Japanese candy!

These are delicious. I thought they'd be an acquired taste, but everyone I've got to try them loved them. They're licorice boiled sweets with a peppery powder centre.

JHSlr.jpg

I'm burning through my stash way too quickly!

Fox Mulder

what's that honking outside!? What a jerk, I'm playing Black Ops 2..oh the mailman!

What lies beneath??

OOOOoo..

So much stuff, I don't know where to start. I'm gonna definitely try to do a video.

Thanks gaf, and thanks Jasup!

How do you guys feel about starting another one the weekend after Thanksgiving. Say for the Christmas season, since a lot of places are stocking Christmas Candy now. Say I possibly open registrations on November 24th for 3 weeks?

Edit: Of course it's up to you if you just participated, if you want to join this one.

How do you guys feel about starting another one the weekend after Thanksgiving. Say for the Christmas season, since a lot of places are stocking Christmas Candy now. Say I possibly open registrations on November 24th for 3 weeks?

Edit: Of course it's up to you if you just participated, if you want to join this one.

not sure every two months sounds a bit ott

mik83kuu

Banned

I don't know the rules and I don't know the practices but I'd be up for one of these. I want some (a ton of) foreign candy LOL :-D

I think you might get less people participating for each exchange if it becomes too frequent. Judging by the pictures of how much candy some people are sending/receiving, it's doubtful most of those members will want to sign up for another one within the next few months, especially when you consider the price of candy + shipping.
That being said, I'm sure you could get a decent amount of people to sign up for another one if it's being held within the next two months or so, but it could be hard to pair up members who want to trade internationally, since I assume most of the people who missed it are probably Americans/Canadians.

Candy Swaps should be twice a year (at most). I'd rather pester the mods to have the OT stickied during sign-ups than have them more frequently because people miss seeing the thread.

Candy Swaps should be twice a year (at most). I'd rather pester the mods to have the OT stickied during sign-ups than have them more frequently because people miss seeing the thread.

Yeah, good point. I think this year end swap was a little early. I think next time, we'll wait a bit longer.

I like the twice a year idea, just gotta figure out a good time.

And here's my I boxing video. Sorry, I recorded it landscape but the iPhone uploaded it portrait.

Neogaf Candy Swap 2012 - Tigel/Bearded Dudebro

Thanks again Tigel.

Tigel

Yeah I agree with this too. I suggest one in summer and another one in winter (but maybe a couple of months after the Secret Santa to maximise the number of participants to each events).

Yeah, good point. I think this year end swap was a little early. I think next time, we'll wait a bit longer.

I like the twice a year idea, just gotta figure out a good time.

And here's my I boxing video. Sorry, I recorded it landscape but the iPhone uploaded it portrait.

Neogaf Candy Swap 2012 - Tigel/Bearded Dudebro

Thanks again Tigel.
You're welcome. Glad that everything arrived in one piece. Enjoy!

peetfeet

I'm gutted I missed the last event and would love to do the next but I understand perfectly if this is too soon, the sweets/candy aint cheap and neither is shipping. Do this too often and less and less people will want to participate.

As for the future.... I second the call for a twice yearly event, say... June and late November/Early December (to avoid the Xmas mail). If Mods sticky the thread in OT for say a months period beforehand people are less likely to miss the opportunity.

You're welcome. Glad that everything arrived in one piece. Enjoy!

Hey Tigel, I found a problem with the Candy you sent me...

I eated it ALL already. Well with the exception of the Maple Syrup and massive Jawbreaker. I thought I'd like the Jos Louis more. But I actually liked the Mae West more.

kennah

I'm curious, has everyone got their candy and stuff?
I hope there is no one to name and shame ;)

I'm namey shamey (ironically dentist bill), but my partner knows it's coming late. Getting sent out this weekend actually. And I'm making it worth their while.. Lot of good ideas from this thread :)

Yeah, I let my partner know that my stuff might be coming a bit later. I'm not sure if my stuff has arrived yet but I had it sent to my home address rather than where I'm living at for school right now, so I'll be getting it when I go home for Christmas break.

Tigel

Hey Tigel, I found a problem with the Candy you sent me...

I eated it ALL already. Well with the exception of the Maple Syrup and massive Jawbreaker. I thought I'd like the Jos Louis more. But I actually liked the Mae West more.

Damn already?! I'm still half-way trough your candies!
And I actually prefer Jos Louis over Mae West :p

Wool

I'm curious, has everyone got their candy and stuff?
I hope there is no one to name and shame ;)

I haven't gotten mine, and I don't think my partner has gotten his. We both shipped pretty close to the deadline, and I think Hurricane Sandy might have been a problem. Doesn't matter to me though, the anticipation is just as sweet. Well, sort of sweet anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom