• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS5 model lighter, uses less W, and possibly more efficient in cooling

Xyphie

It's possible that there's a new chip based on N6 considering it's supposedly going to replace almost all N7 designs.

However this doesn't explain the smaller heatsink because N6 should have the same power efficiency as N7/N7P.
It's more likely that the original heatsink and PSU were overengineered, and Sony is now more confident in using a design that matches the SoC's TDP.

Theoretically, you should get better power efficiency doing the exact same floorplan N7->N6 as you'd end up with somewhat smaller transistors, thus more dark silicon. Of course, only someone with PDK access would know what the exact parameters are.

So, slim model next?
gqfaigalwih939frt0yv1gwfutqt1qx.png

Likely. So far the PS5 is having the same exact new revision the last gen had.

Rykan

Ok.

Don't know why I waste my time with serial bullshitters in these threads.

It's a documented issue for a minority of units. However coincidently all of these units seem to have ended up in the hands of disingenuous people who find it convenient to bring other consoles in to discussions where it's not relevant.
Nice try with the "Gotcha" attempt. I've owned both a PS5 and a Series X, both which I've sold before I relocated to a different country at the end of 2021, as I couldn't bring them with me. Something which I have mentioned on GAF several times, including this thread back in December of last year and this thread in June.

PM me your PSN ID and I will add you. You'll see that I own Demon's Souls as well as the PS5 versions of CoD:CW, FiFa21 and FF7: Integrade.
It being a "minority" of units is something you've made up yourself. The issue is well documented on several forums and there's plenty of examples of it on YouTube. Quit being loyal to a plastic box. The plastic box doesn't care about you and it doesn't need your white knighting.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Good move for profit margin, make it cheaper to produce and charge more for it. It's a business and moves like this allow the company to reinvest in the platform.

Last edited:

omegasc

No, the reduction is in the heatsink. Which must mean the SoC is producing less heat or they overshot the heatsink requirements, but seeing how this is the 2nd heatsink reduction and its using less power I think its an improvement to the SoC
The GDDR6 memory modules in the PS5 can generate a lot of heat, maybe even more than the CPU and GPU. So using less modules with bigger capacity can have a big effect in temperatures.
Might be both, of course. I am not discarding a die shrink.

The GDDR6 memory modules in the PS5 can generate a lot of heat, maybe even more than the CPU and GPU. So using less modules with bigger capacity can have a big effect in temperatures.
Might be both, of course. I am not discarding a die shrink.
They don't generate more heat. They just getting hotter, because they're let run hotter and are not as well cooled.
It's still just slow GDDR6.

I get what you meant tho.

But less modules is not possible. PS5 has a 256bit interface. One interface is 32bit. That equals 8 chips. You can't reduce that to 4. You could only reduce from 16 to 8, like the PS4 did.

Last edited:

Three

"A big thanks for our early adopters for beta testing our products.

Without your dedication we wouldn't be able to sell our console to the same people again, and charge more money for it as well."

I mean, its cool they make a more efficient and it uses less W, but it's pretty early in the generation.

Also, the current model has got a 50 usd increase price. I wonder what this will be increased by when the old one is discontinued and no longer in store.
Oh shut up with this fake outrage. Beta testing because a more power efficient version releases 2 years later? There is no wrong with launch models.

Aren't you in the US anyway? You don't even get a price increase at all while simultaneously complaining about early adaptors being beta testers.

John Wick

Cooling solutions can perform very different, even if smaller, I guess, but 20-30W less consumption without a die shrink. How? Did they manage to lower the voltage and since it was running rather high for consoles, the impact is sort of huge?
Could be 6nm?

Three

No, the reduction is in the heatsink. Which must mean the SoC is producing less heat or they overshot the heatsink requirements, but seeing how this is the 2nd heatsink reduction and its using less power I think its an improvement to the SoC
It probably is but the heatsink cools all the components on the MB including the memory. The memory configuration seems to be less spread out than the original and probably producing less heat too.

GHG

Gold Member
Nice try with the "Gotcha" attempt. I've owned both a PS5 and a Series X, both which I've sold before I relocated to a different country at the end of 2021, as I couldn't bring them with me. Something which i have mentioned on GAF several times.

PM me your PSN ID and I will fucking add you. You'll see that I own Demon's Souls as well as the PS5 versions of CoD:CW, FiFa21 and FF7: Integrade.
It being a "minority" of units is something you've made up yourself. The issue is well documented on several forums and there's plenty of examples of it on YouTube. Quit being loyal to a plastic box. The plastic box doesn't care about you and it doesn't need your white knighting.

It is the minority of units, there have been multiple polls here:

There are even more polls if you care to search.

But as always "it happens to me so it must be everyone" and "I'm a true gamer™" with a sprinkling of unsolicited xbox advertisement thrown in for good measure must apply. Heard and seen it all before, it is the playbook afterall.

And I'll pass on the PSN invite, no thanks.

Last edited:

John Wick

But as always "it happens to me so it must be everyone" and "I'm a true gamer™" with a sprinkling of unsolicited xbox advertisement thrown in for good measure must apply. Heard and seen it all before, it is the playbook afterall.

Lol it gets tiresome. I own all platforms therefor my opinion/experience is correct/better etc

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm surprised by the reduction in the size of the cooler...

If it's really 6nm the power reduction doesn't seem to reflect IMHO of course. Maybe the other chips are on a more efficient process?

Rykan

[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

There sure are other polls. Like this one which has 75% of participants reporting that their unit has coil whine. Literally every single forum related to video games has at least one or more huge threads on the issue. Several high profile gaming tech YouTubers have addressed this. You can find plenty of examples all over youtube.

Implying that it is but a fraction of users is flat out ridiculous. It is a genuine widespread issue. The only reason the Series X is brought up is because it took actual steps to prevent it and I, and I'm sure many others, would like Sony to do the same.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Lol it gets tiresome. I own all platforms therefor my opinion/experience is correct/better etc

I wouldn't mind it so much if I hadn't seen this shit so much here over the last couple of years. It's just boring. Nobody came into this thread to talk about your poxy xbox.

The next stage is "everyone else is lying and can't be trusted but trust me and my not so subtle shilling".

OldFabulousDrake-size_restricted.gif

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Isn't it mainly due to exchange rate differences between other regions and the USD?

I'm wondering if they are actually making quite a bit on these now (or more than they were) when adjusted fro exchange rates, but they want to make some serious moves next year. A slim version released alongside a price cut (albeit from a higher price in some regions), that with PSVR2 available by next Christmas and hopefully a great year of software would put them in a good place.

In my personal opinion, we know the Xbox has been outselling the ps5 for the most of this year in the US. So I think it's purely down to Sony not daring to put the price up there but are willing to do it every where else. Of course, this could absolutely be tales from my ass! just a hunch.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Oh shut up with this fake outrage. Beta testing because a more power efficient version releases 2 years later? There is no wrong with launch models.

Aren't you in the US anyway? You don't even get a price increase at all while simultaneously complaining about early adaptors being beta testers.
As I've said, it's a welcome feature it uses less power, especially now where power gets way more expensive thanks to the ongoing war in the world.

I just find it interesting they've already made a revamp with this improvement. It just seems like the launch model was designed to quick, along with the coil fan whine.

I live in Europe, I'm not American.

Last edited:

Three

I'm surprised by the reduction in the size of the cooler...

If it's really 6nm the power reduction doesn't seem to reflect IMHO of course. Maybe the other chips are on a more efficient process?
Considering the motherboard is a lot smaller I would suspect a lot of the components are more efficient now and not just the SoC.

Whether that is fewer but same spec memory and/or smaller 6nm node components everywhere.

It's possible that there's a new chip based on N6 considering it's supposedly going to replace almost all N7 designs.

However this doesn't explain the smaller heatsink because N6 should have the same power efficiency as N7/N7P.
It's more likely that the original heatsink and PSU were overengineered, and Sony is now more confident in using a design that matches the SoC's TDP.
I think we don't really know that for sure. Maybe there is some slight improvements and TSMC didn't bother to indicate.

Three

As I've said, it's a welcome feature it uses less power, especially now where power gets way more expensive thanks to the ongoing war in the world.

I just ind it interesting they've already made a revamp with this improvement. It just seems like the launch model was designed to quick, along with the coil fan whine.

I live in Europe, I'm not American.
It's an interesting improvement but launch models weren't designed too quickly, fabrication just moved to 6nm in the last 2 years and things just generally become more efficient for the same spec as time goes on.

Last edited:
theres gonna be a new slimmer model for sure. sony have done it with every console they ever made. they even did it twice with the PS3, with that horrendous looking super slim model.

Caio

Pro I don't think so, but a slim model will happen at some point.
It has to happen. Unless Sony believes they'll just ship another 30m consoles after the fat one
PRO model, who knows, also depends from the life cycle; if you ask me, I would love it, but it's just me.

Tripolygon

Banned
If the original design was really good there would be little to no optimizations left to do.
That is impossible. There is always something better you could be doing given more time and more knowledge and more money. That is literally what technological advancements are. Nothing is perfect, it does not mean the original was not built well. The newer motherboard is smaller, does that mean the original motherboard wasn't built well? The new heat sink is even smaller, does that mean the original and previous revision wasn't built well? A manufacturing process node gets more refined and better over time, does that mean the original SoC made by TSMC wasn't built well? No, it just means technology improves with time and Sony does over 10 revisions of their consoles over the generations to reduce cost.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Theoretically, you should get better power efficiency doing the exact same floorplan N7->N6 as you'd end up with somewhat smaller transistors, thus more dark silicon. Of course, only someone with PDK access would know what the exact parameters are.

Not according to TSMC's own public documentation. N6 is a half node / optical shrink that uses a couple of EUV layers and gets just 18% higher density, and TSMC themselves declare N6 as part of the N7 family.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
That is impossible. There is always something better you could be doing given more time and more knowledge and more money. That is literally what technological advancements are. Nothing is perfect, it does not mean the original was not built well. The newer motherboard is smaller, does that mean the original motherboard wasn't built well? The new heat sink is even smaller, does that mean the original and previous revision wasn't built well? A manufacturing process node gets more refined and better over time, does that mean the original SoC made by TSMC wasn't built well? No, it just means technology improves with time and Sony does over 10 revisions of their consoles over the generations to reduce cost.
Yes there is, but a significant power reduction has always been because smaller or more power efficient node.
More money can make better designs, but that's not the case in consoles.
I am talking about design. If a company gets it right the first time, they don't need to make changes... It's not hard to understand...

If ps5-1200 is still using N7P, then yes, Sony could of done a better job with the original design...

Andodalf

Banned
There sure are other polls. Like this one which has 75% of participants reporting that their unit has coil whine. Literally every single forum related to video games has at least one or more huge threads on the issue. Several high profile gaming tech YouTubers have addressed this. You can find plenty of examples all over youtube.

Implying that it is but a fraction of users is flat out ridiculous. It is a genuine widespread issue. The only reason the Series X is brought up is because it took actual steps to prevent it and I, and I'm sure many others, would like Sony to do the same.

I had pretty annoying coil whine. It sucks in quiet games

JackMcGunns

I just saw the video, it's good content; informational, that's why I watch Youtube videos. Not only do you learn that there are 3 difference models, what numbers to look for, what they look like inside, weight, temperatures, decibel levels. Are people hating because of something he said in the past? aka prejudice?

Tripolygon

Banned
If a company gets it right the first time, they don't need to make changes... It's not hard to understand...
It's not hard to understand it just does not make sense and fails in the face of reality. You are intending to say the previous design is poor because they are constantly making improvements and optimizations but that's not how it works.

The previous heat sink used a lot of copper but reducing the copper did not affect cooling the SoC so they reduced the amount of copper. That is a cost optimization, it does not mean the first copper heat sink was bad.

The original motherboard had a lot of dead space, and the newer motherboard is smaller and more compact, that does not mean the original motherboard was not designed well. It's a cost optimization.
If ps5-1200 is still using N7P, then yes, Sony could of done a better job with the original design...
That's how constant optimization works. You don't stop optimizing just because something is released. TSMC always optimizes their process nodes over time, heck it could just be a better binned SoC (not likely).

Last edited:

Sosokrates

The previous heat sink used a lot of copper but reducing the copper did not affect cooling the SoC so they reduced the amount of copper. That is a cost optimization, it does not mean the first copper heat sink was bad.

The original motherboard had a lot of dead space, and the newer motherboard is smaller and more compact, that does not mean the original motherboard was not designed well. It's a cost optimization.

And how did they come to these conclusions? More testing? Well the og model would of been better if they have done more testing then....
No matter what you say the fact that Sony are making these changes shows that there original design was not the optimum design, well at least untill 1100 model, unless the 1200 is also N7P too.

That's how constant optimization works. You don't stop optimizing just because something is released. TSMC always optimizes their process nodes over time, heck it could just be a better binned SoC (not likely).

There only so much you can do with same components, a good original design wants to get the best cooling solution out the gate, that's why they go through extensive testing and iterations. The better the product the less optimisations that can be done.

Last edited:

Drew1440

All this at no extra cost...

... oh wait, no, that's not right. The PS5 now costs £30.00 more here in the UK and is more expensive in many other territories as well bar the U.S.
Yeah but look on the bright side, it uses less electricity than the original cheaper PS5, it saves you money in the long run.

Tripolygon

Banned
And how did they come to these conclusions? More testing? Well the og model would of been better if they have done more testing then....
That's dumb. They should not have released the original in 2020 and delayed until they have enough data to have all these cost reductions already in 2022. Or they should have time traveled to 2022 and included every optimization in the OG release.
No matter what you say the fact that Sony are making these changes shows that there original design was not the optimum design, well at least untill 1100 model, unless the 1200 is also N7P too.
Nothing is the most optimized it can possibly be. There is always something you can do better given time and more knowledge. Guess what? there will be 1300, 1400, 1500 revisions before the console generation is over. Let me guess they should have had those revisions already in 1100.

JackMcGunns

That's dumb. They should not have released the original in 2020 and delayed until they have enough data to have all these cost reductions already in 2022. Or they should have time traveled to 2022 and included every optimization in the OG release.

Nothing is the most optimized it can possibly be. There is always something you can do better given time and more knowledge. Guess what? there will be 1300, 1400, 1500 revisions before the console generation is over. Let me guess they should have had those revisions already in 1100.

100%

I think he might be confusing fixing a problem vs optimizing. If the original was overheating or breaking and the issue was fixed in the 1100, then his comments would make sense.

Sosokrates

Obviously they made the right call not delay the system, but that just shows what I'm saying.. you say here the Ps5 design would of benefitted from more time in the oven. The PS4 did see these kind of revisions in the original model because they obviously got the heatsink right for the SoC they were using.

Yes nothing is perfect, but many times there has been varrying quality of initial releases. There will be a point you reach where you can't reduce the heatsink size much or reduce the power consumption without introducing different components.

Anyway we need some pictures of the 1200 SoC and if it is N6 this discussion will be obsolete.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Nice try with the "Gotcha" attempt. I've owned both a PS5 and a Series X, both which I've sold before I relocated to a different country at the end of 2021, as I couldn't bring them with me. Something which I have mentioned on GAF several times, including this thread back in December of last year and this thread in June.

PM me your PSN ID and I will add you. You'll see that I own Demon's Souls as well as the PS5 versions of CoD:CW, FiFa21 and FF7: Integrade.
I feel your pain, I'm moving to the Netherlands end of this month but I paid for extra luggage just so I can take my PS5 and XSX with.

As for coil whine, I've seen about fifteen separate PS5s running and only one had audible coil whine, so rare but it does happen.

Last edited:
I feel your pain, I'm moving to the Netherlands end of this month but I paid for extra luggage just so I can take my PS5 and XSX with.

As for coil whine, I've seen about a fifteen separate PS5s running and only one had audible coil whine, so rare but it does happen.
Eh, even if it was "only" 1-in-15 PlayStation 5 consoles that have audible coil whine, that would be (~22 million sold / 15) = 1.5 million PS5 owners with the problem, which is not insignificant. Even worse considering Sony knew it was an issue when they developed the PS4 Pro and it seems they did nothing to mitigate or fix the problem with their next console.

Rykan

As for coil whine, I've seen about fifteen separate PS5s running and only one had audible coil whine, so rare but it does happen.
Slightly off topic, but I'm actually from the Netherlands originally. If you have any questions about relocating there, don't be shy to drop me a message. Also if, for whatever reason, you can only bring one console, then bring your PS5. Xsx is pretty easy to find in the Netherlands. Shouldn't take you too long.

Topher

Gold Member
Eh, even if it was "only" 1-in-15 PlayStation 5 consoles that have audible coil whine, that would be (~22 million sold / 15) = 1.5 million PS5 owners with the problem, which is not insignificant. Even worse considering Sony knew it was an issue when they developed the PS4 Pro and it seems they did nothing to mitigate or fix the problem with their next console.

He is only stating his own observation which is anecdotal. We have no data to make conclusions as to how "significant" coil whine is for PS5 owners. A few mentions on gaming forums doesn't tell us anything.

Tripolygon

Banned
Obviously they made the right call not delay the system, but that just shows what I'm saying.. you say here the Ps5 design would of benefitted from more time in the oven. The PS4 did see these kind of revisions in the original model because they obviously got the heatsink right for the SoC they were using.
It does not show what you are saying. I'm saying you do not stop optimizing just because you have released a product, you continue optimizing as you gain more knowledge. All Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft consoles have had such revisions. Sony does a lot of revisions than most.

What you are suggesting is you only release a product that is perfect and does not need any more optimization. That is a technological impossibility. It does not exist.
Yes nothing is perfect, but many times there has been varrying quality of initial releases. There will be a point you reach where you can't reduce the heatsink size or reduce the power consumption with introducing different components.
That is a manufacturing and design inevitability. There will be varying quality between products. Processor binning is literally predicated on the fact that there is a certain level of defect and performance characteristics on a single wafer. No 2 XSX and PS5 SoC are identical, they are unique.
Anyway we need some pictures of the 1200 SoC and if it is N6 this discussion will be obsolete.
Not really. The discussion still remains the same to the end of time. There is no such product you can optimize to be perfect.

Last edited:
Top Bottom