• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoro7

Banned
Eh....$10. I mean, a few years ago I was paying almost $4.00/gallon for gas... Prices go up. Hell, $60 per game was fairly high. The GOOD thing is that we'll still have the used game market for budget purposes, plus I've been encouraged to see the kinds of sales we've been getting digitally on PSN as well. I think the Witcher 3 Ultimate was $14.99 in the last sale. That's a helluva a deal!

Im not moaning, just saying Godfall would have to be hella cheap for me to be like fuck it ill give it a go. Just doesn't seem that good.

Godfavor

If you listen to the SFS tech presentation on youtube it also has a performance cost.

And what everyojne keeps forgetting is there is hardware to blend in that texture when it arrives LATE, its a smoother pop in, but its still pop in.

Was the halo gameplay after the map screen using SFS, as it still looked like pop in to me.

That's true, it will certainly have a small cpu cost , but it still a hardware and not a software solution.

Also Halo seems that it does not use any advanced tech at all.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Im not moaning, just saying Godfall would have to be hella cheap for me to be like fuck it ill give it a go. Just doesn't seem that good.

Yeah, I hear you. And well, I WAS whining earlier about the $70. It STILL kind of pisses me off, but it's just one of those things.... MIGHT even be used as a tool to try and shift more people to the digital side... we'll have to see. I was thinking of going a lot more digital, but then with the $70 move I was thinking it would be better to stay physical, at least for games I don't think I'll be keeping forever so I can get SOMETHING out of them. Still not sure.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, I hate Microsoft, not you. Anyway, there are 2 dodgy ways:

1: You either believe that FH4 and Halo being 100% optimized from the ground up for XSX.
2: You don't believe that official statement that it'll be like current gen high end PC's, no raytracing, just a framerates bump.

Act as if you didn't see this post.
Why would I act as if I didn't see this post. But the fact that you literally say that you hat Microsoft says enough for me. I'll just ignore you. You hate a company 😂

geordiemp

That's true, it will certainly have a small cpu cost , but it still a hardware and not a software solution.

Also Halo seems that it does not use any advanced tech at all.

The hardware, that people forget, was clearly stated by goosen, his words

Bespoke hardware within the GPU is available to smooth the transition between mips, on the off-chance that the higher quality texture arrives a frame or two later.

Its quite clear what the hardware is, its a mips blender so pop in is not so harsh, but its still pop in just less ugly.

Also having textures in L1 is 100 times less cycles than having it in L2, and what do you think the multiplier is for RAM and god forbid SSD ? Every stage you go back for data, the inefficiency is multiplied.

Last edited:

LED Guy?

Banned
OK I got banned for 2 weeks for saying this, I hope not this time...here goes nothing...

I hate the way Microsoft is going with this Game Pass, xCloud stuff and NOW monopolizing the market like buying studios left and right because they know they can’t build studios with the right talents, this is something I have feared personally, they’ve ruined a lot of studios back in the days (I was 5 years old when they acquired RARE ☺❤)and cancelled a lot of games like Scalebound, Fable Legends and ruined a game that I thought would the biggest potential in any game, ever!

And that is Crackdown 3, fucking look at the way this game was handled, I wanted Microsoft to build this game with care like how Rockstar Games built RDR 2, like how Naughty Dog built TLOU 2 & Uncharted 4, like how CD Projekt RED is building Cyberpunk 2077 which looks to be what I imagined how a Crackdown game with its fullest potential would look & feel like.

I just don’t understand why they can’t deliver huge games with the most care and budget behind them, they’re the biggest fucking company that can make games and they are a platform holder, but instead resort to making these smaller agile games just to sustain Game Pass, God how much I hate Game Pass.

Last edited:

LucidFlux

I’m interested in both Godfall and Deathloop. But I haven’t seen enough to convince me to buy them. I know I’m getting Spider-Man Miles Ultimate Edition at Launch for My PS5. I’m still waiting to see if Accent is going to be a Xbox Series X launch title.

I have more of an idea of what I'll get out of Deathloop than I do Godfall but still want to wait on reviews for both. If DL gets glowing reviews on launch day then I'll just download it digitally.

I bet a lot more people will buy Series S once it's in the actual brick-and-mortar stones, especially around Christmas, when it'll make a neat present under the tree.
I think that is the only customer its created for. And those types of customers don't do preorders except for Call of Duty or GTA. Those customers don't do online polls, they don't post on internet forums.

Time will tell. I think the XSS won't be very successful personally.

LucidFlux

Yeah...I went a little crazy with the pre-orders. Had a decent amount of credit at GameStop and used all of that as well. Demons Souls, GodFall, Spiderman, Cyberpunk, Assassins Creed- actually I think I got everything that will be available except for that Gods & Monsters game. Yikes! Well, they're definitely making their money off of ME to start this generation!

Haha I tried to refrain from going overboard but I'll probably impulse buy some digitally on day one if the reviews are looking good. I just picked up 3D Mario Allstars, and will be getting Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity. So I've got those, Demon's Souls, Beyond Light, potentially Godfall and there's also the upcoming Ghost of Tsushima DLC to dig into.

I don't know when the hell I'll find the time to play it all but boy do I love console launches!

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
But you know 10 PlayStation teraflops are equal to 20 Nvidia Tflops but SERIES X 12 teraflops equal 6 arm TFLOPS with noodles on top.

So as you can tell from my equation PS5 is clearly 500% better as Series X.

Some food for thought.
no-lies-detected-gif.gif

LucidFlux

Because it's an 8 hour 1-player story and they'll be selling additional 'chapters' as DLC?

j/k. I was wondering that myself though!

After a quick search it looks like it's only 49 on Amazon and 59 everywhere else... I wasn't planning on picking this up until the next-gen patch came out but if for some reason that $49 is a mistake I may just grab it now to save the $10.

Both Amazon and Walmart have it for preorder at $49

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

OK I got banned for 2 weeks for saying this, I hope not this time...here goes nothing...

I hate the way Microsoft is going with this Game Pass, xCloud stuff and NOW monopolizing the market like buying studios left and right because they know they can’t build studios with the right talents, this is something I have feared personally, they’ve ruined a lot of studios back in the days (I was 5 years old when they acquired RARE ☺❤)and cancelled a lot of games like Scalebound, Fable Legends and ruined a game that I thought would the biggest potential in any game, ever!

And that is Crackdown 3, fucking look at the way this game was handled, I wanted Microsoft to build this game with care like how Rockstar Games built RDR 2, like how Naughty Dog built TLOU 2 & Uncharted 4, like how CD Projekt RED is building Cyberpunk 2077 which looks to be what I imagined how a Crackdown game with its fullest potential would look & feel like.

I just don’t understand why they can’t deliver huge games with the most care and budget behind them, they’re the biggest fucking company that can make games and they are a platform holder, but instead resort to making these smaller agile games just to sustain Game Pass, God how much I hate Game Pass.

Let me get this right. You have a problem with MS because games aren't the way that you imagine them to be beforehand?

People have been saying that MS needs to up the quantity of AAA games coming out of first-party since forever, they made a move to do that. And now that's a problem too?

Godfavor

The hardware, that people forget, was clearly stated by goosen, his words

Its quite clear what the hardware is, its a mips blender so pop in is not so harsh, but its still pop in just less ugly.

Also having textures in L1 is 100 times less cycles than having it in L2, and what do you think the multiplier is for RAM and god forbid SSD ? Every stage you go back for data, the inefficiency is multiplied.

There is a 2.5x average multiplier in texture streaming and ram effeciency with SFS according to MS though

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I don't understand why they wouldn't say it can read CDs then. The official spec sheet only says BDs and DVDs.

But I hope you're right, and I'm not knowledgeable about disc drives so I'm probably just wrong or missing something.

I'm not sure what CAV vs CLV (modes that effect the speed that bits are read on the inside and outside edges of disks) has to do with the difference in wavelength between CD and DVD lasers? You can build a drive that can support 780nm, 650nm, and 405nm wavelengths (the PS3 had one such drive), but they cost extra to produce. In PS4 and X1 the drives supported only 650nm and 405nm.

Personally, I'd love to see CD support brought back, Sony already has a working software emulator for PS1, so CD support would no doubt bring the support of PS1 disks.

I hate the way Microsoft is going with this Game Pass, xCloud stuff and NOW monopolizing the market
they’ve ruined a lot of studios back in the days (I was 5 years old when they acquired RARE ☺❤)and cancelled a lot of games like Scalebound, Fable Legends and ruined a game that I thought would the biggest potential in any game, ever!
God how much I hate Game Pass.
Dude, I played Fable Legends, I was in the beta. Did you ever play it? ( :messenger_tears_of_joy: Nope, you didn't)
And Fable Legends sucked, that's why it was canned. Most probably scalebound sucked too.
I suggest you quit your hating. its a whole lot of energy wasted, and for absolutely no good reason.

Last edited:
Dude, I played Fable Legends, I was in the beta. Did you ever play it? ( :messenger_tears_of_joy: Nope, you didn't)
And Fable Legends sucked, that's why it was canned. Most probably scalebound sucked too.
I suggest you quit your hating. its a whole lot of energy wasted, and for absolutely no good reason.
And what does that say about Microsoft's general management of those projects, particularly with Fable Legends and Lionhead? That studio wasn't some small indie-level studio. It had over 200 employees.

Godfavor

Great lookforward to seeing it in the fast load....

or I mean lookforward to see it in the halo demo...

or I mean look forward to seeing it sometime....

I don't think that is comparable like having a faster I/O like the ps5. Ps5 solution is more straightforward despite being in a completely different phase of the texture load. Easier for the devs.

... And more challenging for the devs for a good SFS example in action.

We might see a utilization of it when DX ultimate storage something releases for pc. Same development kit for PC and Xbox for the win 😓

Last edited:

geordiemp

I don't think that is comparable like having a faster I/O like the ps5. Ps5 solution is more straightforward despite being in a completely different phase of the texture load. Easier for the devs.

... And more challenging for the devs for a good SFS example in action.

We can probably see a utilization of it when DX ultimate storage something releases for pc. Same development kit for PC and Xbox for the win 😓

We have had a fast loading demo, a first party demo and fast resume demo....OK.

BigLee74

There are some absolute wallopers on this thread huh?

Pages of tech-illiterate folk laughing and exclaiming faux-shock that the XSX won't be running FH3 at 4k60fps.

Its a 4 year old BC game. The console can't magically change a game that is hard-set at 30fps to suddenly run at 60fps. Unless developers intervene, it is stuck with the internal settings of the last enhancement update that was made for the One X (which was an upgrade from 1080p to 4k).

Devs haven't intervened, instead enhancing FH4 -you know, the newer game...

Great game too. If you haven't tried it, I recommend you do!

Faithless83

Banned
There are some absolute wallopers on this thread huh?

Pages of tech-illiterate folk laughing and exclaiming faux-shock that the XSX won't be running FH3 at 4k60fps.

Its a 4 year old BC game. The console can't magically change a game that is hard-set at 30fps to suddenly run at 60fps. Unless developers intervene, it is stuck with the internal settings of the last enhancement update that was made for the One X (which was an upgrade from 1080p to 4k).

Devs haven't intervened, instead enhancing FH4 -you know, the newer game...

Great game too. If you haven't tried it, I recommend you do!
It's also a PC game that runs with uncapped framerate, so we can assume it's hardly an engine issue. Hence the "foux-shock".

Okamiden

It's a completely different store for PS5 stuff. Just like on your PS4 you don't see PS3 games for sale, etc. PS3 had it's own store too. Though I suppose the PS4 games may still show up on the PS5 store since you can still play them? We'll see between now and November 12th. Hopefully.
Are you aware that there is PC version of PS Store where you can buy games for any platform?

Last edited:

LED Guy?

Banned
Let me get this right. You have a problem with MS because games aren't the way that you imagine them to be beforehand?

People have been saying that MS needs to up the quantity of AAA games coming out of first-party since forever, they made a move to do that. And now that's a problem too?
It’s not the quantity, it’s that their games are lackluster mostly, you are deflecting and changing what I’m saying. 😊

BigLee74

It's also a PC game that runs with uncapped framerate, so we can assume it's hardly an engine issue. Hence the "foux-shock".

And? Since when was the PC an Xbox console? They have their own individual configuration and settings.

Favouritism and faux shock first port of call. Ignorance unlikely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom