• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo Blaster

Just a heads up while I was in NYC for the NY Game Awards I did stop by that Sony location. There wont be an event there. Sorry on my phone don't know how to add pics but, here is my Tweet.

For reference my back is against the entrance, stations are on both sides of me, that's it.

Honestly, I don't think anyone here thought the reveal would be there.

schaft0620

Honestly, I don't think anyone here thought the reveal would be there.

OK just checking. Also, the Playstation Theater has closed and Sony Hall is only closed for a private event 2/27 in terms of February weekdays. Shu is in Boston for Pax East that day.

I'm starting to doubt it's in NYC if it's in February.

Reindeer

At some point Xbox One S and PS4 OG have to be cut off.

So maybe:

Xbox X $300
Lockhart $350 (assuming 4TF)
SeX $500 (assuming 12TF)

PS4 Pro $300
PS5 $400 (assuming 9TF)
PS5 $500 (assuming 12 TF)
Why would they be cut off? PS2 was still being sold until 2013. At $199 it should still sell like hotcakes with games by third party being made long after PS4 comes out.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Why would they be cut off? PS2 was still being sold until 2013. At $199 it should still sell like hotcakes with games by third party being made long after PS4 comes out.
Just seems like too many skus.

MS would have 4 (assuming there's both Lockhart and SeX), and Sony would have 3.

Sadly many Xbox users and Microsoft themselves aren't ashamed of him since they see him and RDX as some sort of light in Xbox community. The guy is a sad individual though and it's more shocking how Microsoft associate themselves with him and his crew.

TBH I don't think Dealer or especially much of his crew are bad people or anything like that; I watch the streams as they're convenient for background noise and they do talk about Sony stuff too, especially certain Sony games that they enjoy.

And you can't deny that on the other end of the aisle, you have other fanboys who accuse anyone who likes even a little bit of what MS does as MS fanboys. I mean, goodness forbid one can like both and be critical of both companies when they make questionable decisions.

I mean in the grand scheme of things there isn't a big gulf between, say, Dealer and MGB, but at least guys like Dealer seem authentic in what they prefer and don't go out of their way to downplay every single thing the competition offers. Guys like MGB were doing that regularly when they were a MS fanboy, and now they do it to MS since they've switch sides (not at all driven by views or monetary reasons, I'm sure).

Probably the only one of those type of dudes I legit REALLY dislike is CrapGaming; the dude's videos are literally clickbait and 90% of the time aren't about anything interesting. I'm sure there are others like them on both sides, but that name sticks out to me because of how laughable his titles are and then there's like five minutes of word salad before getting to 30 seconds of actual topical discussion and then like 3 minutes of more word salad and plugs.

Crap Gamer is a PlayStation fanboy now. And he's taken his bad luck with him.

Shit, really? :pie_roffles: His videos are probably still as garbage as they've always been. People like that, will always be fanboys of something, they just pick different blankets to wrap their fanboyism around every now and again. The problem is never the blanket.

Last edited:

Reindeer

Just seems like too many skus.

MS would have 4 (assuming there's both Lockhart and SeX), and Sony would have 3.
They manufactured PS2 for 12 years and PS3 for 11, I doubt they would stop supporting entry model so soon. PS4 Pro is still out of reach of mainstream price so making it the only PS4 system doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

There were devs releasing games on PS2 after PS4 was released? Rehashes of sports titles on old engines (with updated rosters, LOL)?

Consoles just don't cost reduce as well as they used to. That combined with both systems being fully compatible with current gen software and I just don't see the systems being produced for 3 or 4 years after release on next gen. The PS2 was also backwards compatible, but the PS one was so cheap to produce that it could be sold at a profit for $99 at that point. We'll see what happens, I expect this transition to happen fast.

Hey all,

Long time reader here in this thread. I'm really excited to see where next-gen consoles take us. Even at 35, I'll never waver on my passion for gaming, especially with my young son enjoying Minecraft, etc.

It is really fun to read those who research and delve so far in-depth of what "might be" related to Sony, be it leaks or whatnot.

Personally, I don't think there will be any discernable difference between the two systems.

Maybe the SSD, but GPU and CPU will probably be 10% or less by the time finalized kits hit in June.

Everybody sat around for months scoffing at ideas such as 12TF, SSDs, Ray Tracing, and many other high-end predictions. All of sudden, it came true.

I don't find Sony's relative silence all that worrisome, honestly. For a company to just show a logo and send people into a frenzy, I think they've got it made. They just need to capitalize on it when the reveal comes around.

We shall see, but I feel confident both systems will be a win for gamers and neither will have any real edge.

The only thing, as a gamer, I *don't* want to see is a bunch of "moneyhatting" by either party.

I'm just not a fan, because though it wasn't entirely a moneyhat, having to buy an Xbox for Shenmue II in the US ticked me off in yesteryear.

Reindeer

TBH I don't think Dealer or especially much of his crew are bad people or anything like that; I watch the streams as they're convenient for background noise and they do talk about Sony stuff too, especially certain Sony games that they enjoy.

And you can't deny that on the other end of the aisle, you have other fanboys who accuse anyone who likes even a little bit of what MS does as MS fanboys. I mean, goodness forbid one can like both and be critical of both companies when they make questionable decisions.

I mean in the grand scheme of things there isn't a big gulf between, say, Dealer and MGB, but at least guys like Dealer seem authentic in what they prefer and don't go out of their way to downplay every single thing the competition offers. Guys like MGB were doing that regularly when they were a MS fanboy, and now they do it to MS since they've switch sides (not at all driven by views or monetary reasons, I'm sure).

Probably the only one of those type of dudes I legit REALLY dislike is CrapGaming; the dude's videos are literally clickbait and 90% of the time aren't about anything interesting. I'm sure there are others like them on both sides, but that name sticks out to me because of how laughable his titles are and then there's like five minutes of word salad before getting to 30 seconds of actual topical discussion and then like 3 minutes of more word salad and plugs.
The problem with Dealer and RDX is how they love console warring by always talking about PS fanboys on their podcast and their social media. They guys are straight up manchildren on social media and stir fanboy wars any way they can. The problem is that these are the best Xbox community got on YouTube and that's why they are accepted and seen as being not that bad. I agree though, guys like MBG are eve worse because he doesn't come across as someone who is genuine.

Last edited:

Mriverz

tenor.gif

Fun Fanboy

Banned
Shit, really? :pie_roffles: His videos are probably still as garbage as they've always been. People like that, will always be fanboys of something, they just pick different blankets to wrap their fanboyism around every now and again. The problem is never the blanket.
Yeah, check his twitter out. He's friends with Thuway and all those guys now. Bashes Xbox all the time. It's fun reads!

I honestly think MS will have the slower SSD solution, there is just something in the way Phil has talked about it. However, a lot of YT people are blowing that out of proportion, IMO.

Even if Sony is twice as fast, what that means for MS is determined by how fast Sony's SSD is working. Say Sony has virtually eliminating load times to 1/2 sec, that puts MS at 1 second. LOL Now if Sony is still taking 20 seconds to load, that doesn't put MS in a good position at 40 seconds.

The cries about Xbox not being able to run games with a slower SSD is insane. Sony first party isn't building games for MS anyway, and third-party will still be trying to hit PC as well (and SSDs as fast as Sony's is reported to be will not be standard as a game install drive on PC for quite some time).

Yeah, tech-illiterate people are mainly the ones blowing the SSD stuff out of proportion. Honestly we're still waiting what both camps have on that front; for all we know that Phison controller could've been for the Lockhart (if it exists). And there's still other storage setups possible; i.e XSX could have the slower SSD but might offset it with some Optane persistent memory (even on a good deal with, say, Intel though that would be at least $64 for 64GB and it'd be as a single-channel I'd imagine; smallest DC Persistent Memory modules Intel makes currently are 128GB IIRC).

In fact I can buy XSX or even PS5 having Optane or 3D-Xpoint persistent memory well ahead of ReRAM; for various reasons ReRAM is nowhere near the market readiness and capacity maturity of 3D-Xpoint/Optane PCM. I was expecting some news on developments at CES to make me more hopeful but nope.

The problem with Dealer and RDX is how they love console warring by always talking about PS fanboys on their podcast and their social media. They guys are straight up manchildren on social media and stir fanboy wars any way they can. The problem is that these are the best Xbox community got on YouTube and that's why they are accepted and seen as being not that bad. I agree though, guys like MBG are eve worse because he doesn't come across as someone who is genuine.

I don't follow their Twitter shenanigans (or anyone's, really) but you do have a point about them mocking and making fun of PS fans as fanboys on their streams/podcasts. At some point in the stream Dealer always starts berating them. It's funny on one hand but also "why again?" on the other one.

Personally I don't prefer gaming channels or personalities that lean towards Sony or Microsoft honestly; my preference are more for the tech-neutral types who also tend to cover gaming stuff either regularly or occasionally, like Moore's Law Is Dead, Corelinks, AdoredTV, RedGamingTech, MaDZ (they do kinda tend to focus on Xbox stuff predominantly lately tho) etc. Most of the others, rather MS or Sony-favoring, tend to get too theatric, some more than others, but for the most part they bring something to the table worth checking out, just as long as you know they're going to have a preference out of the gate.

It's only really ones like Crapgaming, MGB etc. that I don't entertain; either way too clickbaity, way too hardcore with the fanboyism, or come off as disingenuous even if they bring up some decent news and points (especially if they did the same thing when favoring the opposite brand).

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Sony is selling well enough and has a history of keeping a slim around to make money. For MS they want the old systems gone asap they will hurt gamepass in 2021. They want people to transition to series s not buy the one s that won't be supported. I think we are in agreement. Lockheart is to help gamepass model and that means 86ing the old generation for them.

Reindeer

There were devs releasing games on PS2 after PS4 was released? Rehashes of sports titles on old engines (with updated rosters, LOL)?

Consoles just don't cost reduce as well as they used to. That combined with both systems being fully compatible with current gen software and I just don't see the systems being produced for 3 or 4 years after release on next gen. The PS2 was also backwards compatible, but the PS one was so cheap to produce that it could be sold at a profit for $99 at that point. We'll see what happens, I expect this transition to happen fast.
PS3 was being sold for 11 years so it's not just PS2 that was manufactured for that long.

Last edited:
OK just checking. Also, the Playstation Theater has closed and Sony Hall is only closed for a private event 2/27 in terms of February weekdays. Shu is in Boston for Pax East that day.

I'm starting to doubt it's in NYC if it's in February.
Gave me an idea now.

I'm sure we can track the flights of Shu, Jim Ryan and Mark Cerny right?

If we can track their flights then we can narrow down the PS meeting date.

Neo Blaster

At least they probably never had to face a lawsuit. Here in Brazil today a so called Xbox shill was ordered to pay a game journalist due to moral damage.

PocoJoe

Banned
They manufactured PS2 for 12 years and PS3 for 11, I doubt they would stop supporting entry model so soon. PS4 Pro is still out of reach of mainstream price so making it the only PS4 system doesn't make sense.
He talked about 3 models
Ps4, pro and ps5

So how do you count it to get to "no more ps4, only pro"?

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member

I think Sony could price cut and still be at a profit. Just because they haven't cut price doesn't mean they couldn't. If they release PS5 at $500 and cut the PS4 to $200 and the Pro to $300 that would be a nice way to cover all consumers. That's a big enough price difference that there's a reason to buy at every stage. PS3 couldn't get down because of the cell but that was much more custom than PS4. PS4 just has to be pretty cheap by now to make

Hey all,

Long time reader here in this thread. I'm really excited to see where next-gen consoles take us. Even at 35, I'll never waver on my passion for gaming, especially with my young son enjoying Minecraft, etc.

It is really fun to read those who research and delve so far in-depth of what "might be" related to Sony, be it leaks or whatnot.

Personally, I don't think there will be any discernable difference between the two systems.

Maybe the SSD, but GPU and CPU will probably be 10% or less by the time finalized kits hit in June.

Everybody sat around for months scoffing at ideas such as 12TF, SSDs, Ray Tracing, and many other high-end predictions. All of sudden, it came true.

I don't find Sony's relative silence all that worrisome, honestly. For a company to just show a logo and send people into a frenzy, I think they've got it made. They just need to capitalize on it when the reveal comes around.

We shall see, but I feel confident both systems will be a win for gamers and neither will have any real edge.

The only thing, as a gamer, I *don't* want to see is a bunch of "moneyhatting" by either party.

I'm just not a fan, because though it wasn't entirely a moneyhat, having to buy an Xbox for Shenmue II in the US ticked me off in yesteryear.
Love this post so much.

Yeah 37 here and still love gaming.

Unfortunately moneyhatting is what gets people to choose one system over the other so that will never go away. Afterall business is business and we'er all dollar potential dollar signs to these corporations.

Can't wait to see the first next gen games gameplay in uncompressed 4K on my tv. I'm sure i'm going to need a few babywipes and a bottle lotion.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
it's a guess so maybe I'm wrong..

The full specs and features of PS5 we wont hear them soon and if there is an event in February it will be about new games being developed for PS5 and talking about the new features of the controller with Mark Cerny and some Japanese guy we don't know .. and they will talk about how did they create the " new " logo .. and maybe mention the new " studios " Sony got beside update in games like GOW , HZD and the new horror game Kojima working on

The other event with the reveal and all will be in Oct or before .. ( also a guess ) and it will be small one with PS5 reveal and price

Now that would be a reasonable plan

Neo Blaster

That's the xboxmilgrau guy who finds it funny saying derogatory things about japanese people and laughs about the H-Bomb that was dropped on hiroshima
Exactly him, unfortunately I think the Brazilian Xbox community is so toxic thanks to guys like him.

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

The full specs and features of PS5 we wont hear them soon and if there is an event in February it will be about new games being developed for PS5 and talking about the new features of the controller with Mark Cerny and some Japanese guy we don't know .. and they will talk about how did they create the " new " logo .. and maybe mention the new " studios " Sony got beside update in games like GOW , HZD and the new horror game Kojima working on

The other event with the reveal and all will be in Oct or before .. ( also a guess ) and it will be small one with PS5 reveal and price

Anyways, I don't think Sony can hold this reveal for too long without risking jeopardize all the logistics chain. Retailers need information to plan for the holidays, so do developers.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member

October?!?!?

az8vILz.gif

RookX22

I bet its just going to be a state of play similar to what nintemdo did with the switch, and events and demos throughout the year at best buys and such. The events and demos probably take off around e3. The state of play will be released before gdc.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

... CrapGaming; the dude's videos are literally clickbait and 90% of the time aren't about anything interesting. I'm sure there are others like them on both sides, but that name sticks out to me because of how laughable his titles are and then there's like five minutes of word salad before getting to 30 seconds of actual topical discussion and then like 3 minutes of more word salad and plugs.

I feel like you stole those words from my brain. :messenger_beaming:

The big thing I like with Microsoft is their approach to gaming with an "all-encompassing" mentality.

They know gaming will go towards streaming and digital and aren't afraid to push for that now. They also aren't afraid to push for cross-play, something some games(Overwatch) desperately could use...Sony needs to acquiesce more on that front in next-gen.

Series X looks to be a powerhouse that hasn't ever been seen in console form, same as Sony.

Their abilities now is a far cry from the Xbox One reveal. That was a disaster on all fronts, not including Sony coming and essentially pouring gasoline onto the embers.

I've never seen anybody get torched like that and never since, so major props to them for turning it all around and learning from that.

We'll be in for a treat with both systems. I remember the days when console ports caught up with their arcade counterparts, or even surpassed them.

To have systems upcoming that are, essentially, a pretty high-end PC(not $3000 monsters, but stout) is fun to see realized.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom