• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHK and Japan Ranks Top 100 Anime List to Celebrate 100 Years of Anime!

Deepwater

Gundam SEED? Joker Game? Sword Art Online?

Anyone who voted for these deserve to lose any right to watch anime.

Love Live, I'll admit is great high quality and kicks Idolm@ster's ass(fight me losers). But it's not solidly written or animated enough to be in the top ten, let alone top 50.

Osomatsu-san, however, is a good redeemer. Anyone who hasn't watched it yet needs to shut up and eat their godamn oden.

Gundam SEED is pretty good though

Don't really get the multiple seasons reason. I understand it for sutff like Code Geass R1 and R2 but idk I think it would have been better if they just chose the best voted season for each show.

Also, where Initial D at? Worst list

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Problem with these lists are - only a subset of the hardcore vote and if a particular fandom group takes a shine to it that will skew the vote which is probably what happened with Tiger & Bunny.

It's like asking who the most popular sports team is in the country and polling 1000 people - that's not going to represent a country!

As a non anime watcher i just assumed that Dragonball, One Piece and Naruto would be in the top 10.

As it turns out i've never heard of any of the titles in the top 50.

Any of them actually good and not creepy loli garbage?

Xe4

Banned
As a non anime watcher i just assumed that Dragonball, One Piece and Naruto would be in the top 10.

As it turns out i've never heard of any of the titles in the top 50.

Cowboy Bebop. There's other's too, but that's generally the answer for non-anime watchers.
A lot of anime is actually not creepy loli garbage. Don't get me wrong, a lot of it is too, but there's more to the animation of Japan than just that.

Confirm from my post I have shit taste in anime.

Lodoss War?
Shit taste in anime.
Though maybe I have shit taste for saying that.
giphy.gif

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
**1 Tiger & Bunny
**7 Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch
**8 Cardcaptor Sakura
*10 Osomatsu-san
*11 Gintama
*13 Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu
*14 Neon Genesis Evangelion
*17 Mobile Suit Gundam
*18 Digimon Adventure
*23 Haikyuu!!
*24 Detective Conan
*25 Hyouka
*28 Shingeki no Kyojin
*29 Uchuu Senkan Yamato
*30 Shoujo Kakumei Utena
*31 Bungou Stray Dogs
*34 Cowboy Bebop
*35 Steins;Gate
*36 Natsume Yuujinchou
*38 Hoshi no Ko Poron
*39 Mirai Shounen Conan
*40 Mobile Suite Gundam Seed
*43 Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
*44 Lupin III: Cagliostro no Shiro
*46 Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
*48 Free!
*50 Fate/Zero
*51 Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
*54 Kaze no Tani no Nausicaä
*55 Gintama'
*56 Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ Maji Love 1000%
*57 Kimi no Na wa.
*59 Tenkuu no Shiro Laputa
*60 Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon
*62 Free!: Eternal Summer
*63 High☆Speed!: Free! Starting Days
*64 Katekyo Hitman Reborn!
*65 Yuu☆Yuu☆Hakusho
*69 Mob Psycho 100
*70 Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans
*71 Fullmetal Alchemist
*72 One Piece
*74 Shounen Hollywood: Holly Stage for 49
*75 Saraba Uchuu Senkan Yamato: Ai no Senshi-tachi
*78 Mushishi
*79 Urusei Yatsura
*80 Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
*82 Kuroko no Basket
*84 Hunter x Hunter
*86 Soukou Kihei Votoms
*87 Juuni Kokuki
*88 Kekkai Sensen
*90 Fushigi no Umi no Nadia
*91 Mononoke
*94 Urusei Yatsura Movie 2: Beautiful Dreamer
*95 Dennou Coil
*96 JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Stardust Crusaders
*97 Akira
*98 Macross: Do You Remember Love?
*99 Gan to Gon
100 Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei
"Good" is subjective but I can guarantee minimal "creepy loli garbage" in this list. Some of them may be garbage though, your mileage may vary.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So, Haly, why is Love Live "creepy loli garbage" while Sailor Moon isn't considering the characters are actually older in LvLv?

If someone asks for recommendations it's bad form to mislead them.

L Thammy

I like The Skullman. No one talks about The Skullman.

Glad Sakura's on there, but it's the only CLAMP thing on the list, right? I guess Tsubasa's anime sucked so it's not going to be there.

There is probably now way I would have ended happy with the top ten as a westerner, but I really like the inclusion of Cardcaptor Sakura up there. Gotta take what you can get.

KraytarJ

Crazy to see Inuyasha recognition here, but honestly in what world are Sword Art and Joker Game top 20 for anyone let alone for a popular vote?

BosSin

I heard mentions of how bad this list was in the anime community thread. Only now do I truly appreciate how hot this garbage is.

Haly

So, Haly, why is Love Live "creepy loli garbage" while Sailor Moon isn't considering the characters are actually older in LvLv?

If someone asks for recommendations it's bad form to mislead them.
giphy.gif

I actually questioned myself for a second on whether or not to include Sailor Moon because, iirc, it features at least one panty shot of ChibiUsa, Usagi's time traveling daughter, as well as Usagi's whole relationship with Mamoru. I think she's under the age of consent? Something like that.

But I figure it falls under the "it's a classic" umbrella.

Voror

Huh I had no idea Tiger and Bunny was that popular. I really liked that show and thought it a shame it never got a second season.

Xilium

Also this is apparently the top anime for men and women in the NHK rankings:

Female top 10:
1. "Tiger & Bunny"
2. "Cardcaptor Sakura"
3. "Osomatsu-san"
4. "Joker Game"
5. "Love Live! The School Idol Movie"
6. "Mobile Suit Gundam"
7. "Detective Conan"
8. "PSYCHO-PASS"
9. "Haikyu!!"
10. "Attack on Titan"

Male Top 10:
1. "Puella Magi Madoka Magica"
2. "Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion"
3. "Love Live!" (1st season)
4. "Neon Genesis Evangelion"
5. "Love Live!" (2nd season)
6. "Gintama"
7. "Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2"
8. "Is The Order a Rabbit?"
9. "Legend of the Galactic Heroes"
10. "Revolutionary Girl Utena"

I say this is very accurate cause I know Love Live is seriously popular with men. Madoka Magica was a surprise though.

It kinda crazy how little cross-over there is here. Just Love Live.

On a tangential note, I want to take this opportunity to highlight Mike Toole's The Other 100 Best Anime Movies of All Time list, which is a top 100 list that's actually worth reading due to highlighting more obscure films and briefly going into what makes them interesting. I learned a fair bit reading it myself, and some of the films it highlights are definitely worth tracking down if you can, such as the woefully underappreciated 1992 film Run Melos. I would recommend spending time reading that rather than doing the standard list complaining.

Fuck me, if I didn't already know my taste didn't align with Japanese anime fans (or most modern Weeaboos), this proves it. I'm an old bastard!!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Gintama likely just missed top 10 with females. More surprising is the original Gundam ranking so high on the female list.

I think K-On popularity was overblown. If you want your series to become mega popular and have staying power, it needs to have a broader appeal that is inclusive of a female audience. Not necessarily just fujoshi or male otaku. That's how series like Tiger and Bunny, Code Geass, Gintama, etc. can rank higher.
Well, Geass and Gintama are basically yaoi bait shows too so...

K-ON was a fad, like Haruhi. It's been supplanted by other KyoAni moebait.

I don't know what you're talking about with the second part. There's plenty of yaoi bait. Hell, Yuri on ICE was the most popular anime last year and that was 100% yaoi bait.
All yaoi bait.

The shows that do the best, outside of LL and classics, are the ones that can capture both the fujo audience and the shounen audience. The only way you're getting onto the top 100 without the fujo audience is with the idol audience, and don't quote me on this but I think idol shows are pretty popular with women as well.
I mean, I guess shounens are like the default crowd pleaser since young boys can pretend to be like the main character and older women can get horny thinking about the main character being banged by the villain.

I guess I'm just surprised that T&B is the one that has lasted.

Sandfox

So basically the male list is "cute girls doing cute things" and the female list is fujoshi stuff. That completely makes sense.

This thread makes it so hard to be an anime fan. XD (And, I'm typing this from a theater showing Kiki's Delivery Service in a few minutes.)

Link1110

Madoka is so high. One of my students loves that, but I always thought it looked like kawaii waufus. Is there more to it?

Male list has LotGH on it so it gets a pass for me.
I have kind of a stupid grudge against that show, back before the trails games can't out,i was curious about the legend of heroes series, bit it was impossible to find any information on Google about them cause that show kept coming up. I'm shocked falcom and the makers of that show didn't have any lawsuits

Haly

Madoka is so high. One of my students loves that, but I always thought it looked like kawaii waufus. Is there more to it?

There's more to it. I take it you're JET or something? I think you'll appreciate it. At least, you could bond with your student for it.

Top Bottom