• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Pocket Football Club |OT| Go for the shins! THE SHINS!!

pixelpai

Neo Member
I really like this game, especially the "laid back" gameplay. but to be honest, perhaps i am playing it a bit too laid back. I apply those training-cards at will, created some combos by accident and didn't bother too much looking others up (in the internet).

Yet my first season was a breeze; one draw, wins otherwise. Well, online is another story, must be my assistant coachs fault ;)

The other day I was playing an online match. My team was 0-3 behind, it was the 90th minute and my team was about to perform a corner kick, when I suddenly saw my goaly running into the penalty area, sighting the ball, which meanwhile had been kicked and scoring the "consolation goal" with his head. Those header-card really payed off...

Edit: My team

Spades

I'm not the only one who thinks of Nintendo World Cup on the NES every time I sit back to watch a game, am I?

nintendowoa1.jpg

On the last week of year one and the stats of my best 4 players are

DF Pisano CCABBCB
MF Serra CBCCCCC
MF Rosa CACCCCB
MF Carter BBACCCC

keit4

Banned
Pre-season results until now: 1W 1D 2L

Amazing performance of my striker (hattrick) in the only win.

The matches in this game are hilarious. It's like watching a bunch of headless chickens running after the ball.

kubus

Why are my players so arrogant? They always try to score themselves (and thus kicking the ball into the keeper's hands) instead of passing the ball to a player next to them which would 100% result in a goal :(. So many missed opportunities... I'm even starting to think that this is why we still lose matches.

Is there some skill I can teach them? Or does it depend on the player type maybe?

Hasney

Why are my players so arrogant? They always try to score themselves (and thus kicking the ball into the keeper's hands) instead of passing the ball to a player next to them which would 100% result in a goal :(. So many missed opportunities... I'm even starting to think that this is why we still lose matches.

Is there some skill I can teach them? Or does it depend on the player type maybe?

Maybe you're rubbing off on them.

I kid, but get some passing based combos for your midfielders. Midfield maestro, triangle pass and killer pass help a lot for me. I find giving the hold-up play combo to your worst shooting striker helps a lot too.

kubus

Maybe you're rubbing off on them.

I kid, but get some passing based combos for your midfielders. Midfield maestro, triangle pass and killer pass help a lot for me. I find giving the hold-up play combo to your worst shooting striker helps a lot too.
:(

Thanks, I'll try those out!

In other news, I just played a ranked match against a seemingly weaker team and the "assistant coach" put my super crappy substitute keeper on the field (WHYYY). We lost 0-2. Ughhhh. I dropped about 100 spots on the ranking list :p. I should try figuring out what all the command options do.

Hasney

In other news, I just played a ranked match against a seemingly weaker team and the "assistant coach" put my super crappy substitute keeper on the field (WHYYY). We lost 0-2. Ughhhh. I dropped about 100 spots on the ranking list :p. I should try figuring out what all the command options do.

Make sure that the team selection is rigid for online game, or whatever that option is. He should play your normal starting 11 then or at least close to it.

RiggyRob

If you want your wide players to pass to your main striker, make sure you give all of the striking card combos to the striker instead of the wide players otherwise they'll try taking the shot on themselves. Also yeah, keep giving them passing card combos.

You'll want to pick all of your best players as your first choice 11 and subs, and then put the team selection command option all the way to stable, so that the assistant manager picks the team you've already set out.

kubus

Make sure that the team selection is rigid for online game, or whatever that option is. He should play your normal starting 11 then or at least close to it.
Yeah just noticed that it was somewhere in the middle between Stable and Erratic. Moved it towards Stable now. Any idea what the Discipline (Flexible - Strict) slider does?

edit: Just changed a bunch of settings, played another match. 3-0 against a much better team statistically! Either I'm lucky this time or the new tactic is paying off already.

Yagharek

Pre-season results until now: 1W 1D 2L

Amazing performance of my striker (hattrick) in the only win.

The matches in this game are hilarious. It's like watching a bunch of headless chickens running after the ball.

It is, but also its great when you start to see structure emerge.

I had a game last night where I was down 1-0 at half time, went on the attack and drew level, then scored the winner in the absolute last minute with a deadly through ball to the striker just outside the box.

Genuinely fist-pumping excitement.

RiggyRob

Yeah just noticed that it was somewhere in the middle between Stable and Erratic. Moved it towards Stable now. Any idea what the Discipline (Flexible - Strict) slider does?

edit: Just changed a bunch of settings, played another match. 3-0 against a much better team statistically! Either I'm lucky this time or the new tactic is paying off already.

Discipline affects your formation and tactics - Flexible means the assistant manager will change things around whereas Strict means they'll use the formation and style of play you've set out for them.

I would like to know the answer to this, i have been training my players & they don't seem to be improving at all, i loose on average by two goals, i don't think i have won a game yet & i am about to start the season proper.

I have added everyone on the list above.

My info is;
Club ID 9C3D60359
NNID FC 0087-2285-0027

Feel free to add me, but please PM me here so i know you are a fallow GAF member.

All the friend codes and team IDs (I think) in the thread:

Code:
GAF username	Friend Code	Team ID
Ninja Dom	0688-5246-0825	E788A32C4
windfish	0860-3232-3957	9697B2813
Zornica		3995-6514-2832	F4B5D2EB1
daydreaming	5043-1159-2527	52D3FFD5F
Asso52		1049-0141-2804	A3C4E4960
MrKaepora	5455-9407-9927	2B4C6ABA8
kubus		0301-9768-0516 	896A8AE56
STG		3282-2612-1503
cw_sasuke	4313-0412-2734
Spades		0576-4101-9322	
Hasney		2466-2059-6830	
Stulaw		4768-7519-9584	
MicH		2836-0194-8979
DrWong				45A6C4B42
Oxx				FE1F3FAEB
sugarless			A3C4E2AD0

everyone added bar team id only, not sure how you add them, i'm 4425-1455-2568

MrKaepora

Two days ago I was playing against a team and winning 3-0. At the final moments of the game the GK from the other team was playing in the middlefield and in a corner kick was able to score a lonely goal against me.

This game puts a smile in my face even when it's screwing with me.

I will try to add everybody on that FC list.

sugarless

everyone added bar team id only, not sure how you add them, i'm 4425-1455-2568

Team IDs aren't added anywhere, but you can enter the ID in the airport menu (I forget which part exactly) to play a match against them directly. These matches will show up in your recent results on the microsite.

DrWong

Code:
STG		3282-2612-1503
cw_sasuke	4313-0412-2734
Spades		0576-4101-9322	
Hasney		2466-2059-6830	
Stulaw		4768-7519-9584	
MicH		2836-0194-8979
DrWong		1891-1455-5575	45A6C4B42
Oxx				FE1F3FAEB
sugarless			A3C4E2AD0

Edited with my FC.

Team IDs aren't added anywhere, but you can enter the ID in the airport menu (I forget which part exactly) to play a match against them directly. These matches will show up in your recent results on the microsite.

thanks. Just noticed for the entire first season I never set dedicated PK,FK or Corner takers. XD

MicH

Slowly making every combo so I can look them up in the game without having to use the spreadsheet.

Are the Karaoke and Video Game cards DLC only?

RiggyRob

Slowly making every combo so I can look them up in the game without having to use the spreadsheet.

Are the Karaoke and Video Game cards DLC only?

Nope, you can get them normally. Also, Video-games might be called Gaming depending on your language (?).

I thought making every combo would be a good idea too, until I found out the game doesn't actually tell you what combination you're going to make with the cards, it just gives you the 'Special Combo!' sign.

E.g. You might want to make Goal-Sniffer (Oil Therapy, Meditation, Visualising) but you could end up making Team Love (Oil Therapy, Signing, Meeting).

Do we know how many combinations there are supposed to be?

MicH

Nope, you can get them normally. Also, Video-games might be called Gaming depending on your language (?).

I thought making every combo would be a good idea too, until I found out the game doesn't actually tell you what combination you're going to make with the cards, it just gives you the 'Special Combo!' sign.
Really? I haven't gotten Karaoke yet. Oh, they're the same? I thought they were different because the spreadsheet uses both names.

If you press Y in the training you get a list of the unlocked combos. Not sure if that's what you're talking about

RiggyRob

Really? I haven't gotten Karaoke yet. Oh, they're the same? I thought they were different because the spreadsheet uses both names.

If you press Y in the training you get a list of the unlocked combos. Not sure if that's what you're talking about

Nah, I mean if you start with one card but have forgotten the exact combination, you could end up making something you weren't expecting (example above).

A good thing to add to the doc would be to highlight all of the combinations that give particular skills (e.g. Blind Plane Celebration, Goalie Runs Up and so on).

MicH

Nah, I mean if you start with one card but have forgotten the exact combination, you could end up making something you weren't expecting (example above).

A good thing to add to the doc would be to highlight all of the combinations that give particular skills (e.g. Blind Plane Celebration, Goalie Runs Up and so on).
Oh yeah, that's true. I really like the ingame list as well. Speaking of those skills, I need to teach my players those :eek:

Oxx

Online seems broken at the moment. Which is a shame because you have to close the game to leave the connecting screen.

LoveCake

Edited with my FC.

Code:
STG		3282-2612-1503
cw_sasuke	4313-0412-2734
Spades		0576-4101-9322	
Hasney		2466-2059-6830	
Stulaw		4768-7519-9584	
MicH		2836-0194-8979
DrWong				45A6C4B42
Oxx				FE1F3FAEB
sugarless			A3C4E2AD0
B1G_A1AN        0087-2285-0027  9C3D60359

Added mine as well & i have added the new additions.

I am going to play my first proper league match in a bit.

I wish you could actually use a combo whilst in the card list. Having to remember it and then back out and manually select the cards is very annoying. Nintendo games (I know it's only published in this case) always have these weirdly illogical design choices which over time became a pain.

RiggyRob

So apparently I have 98/125 card combinations, a light blue background combo means you have all the cards to complete it, a medium blue background combo means you're missing a card and a dark blue background combo means you don't have any of the cards.

More importantly, all of the combinations that give special skills/celebrations have their name highlighted in blue, which is useful. Is there a way to order the spreadsheet so that it follows the same pattern as the in-game one (e.g. shots first, passes second and so on)?
Also what's a filter and how do you use it?

MicH

So apparently I have 98/125 card combinations, a light blue background combo means you have all the cards to complete it, a medium blue background combo means you're missing a card and a dark blue background combo means you don't have any of the cards.

More importantly, all of the combinations that give special skills/celebrations have their name highlighted in blue, which is useful. Is there a way to order the spreadsheet so that it follows the same pattern as the in-game one (e.g. shots first, passes second and so on)?
I didn't know that, thanks for pointing it out! I'm currently at 78/125 combos learned.

Also, why do I have to play in the Federations Cup all of sudden? I am clearly outclassed. It seems really odd to have it when I'm not even done with the Beginner League yet. Many of my units have negative potential now, as well :( So soon!

Zornica

Banned
It's happening... a few of my best players got negative potential, and I'm not even done with my 2nd season :/. I'm not sure how to proceed. just keep using them but also train a bunch of noobs on the side?
Most of the guy with negative potential are from the friend market. So I wonder if I should even invest cards into clone players..
Also I tried to train one of my youngsters who hadn't full potential yet, but he still got full points. so maybe it's better to start training them earlier in their carrier?

It was the first thing I thought of when they unveiled it.

Difference is, PFL is actually a good game. :p

yeah, while Nintendo World Cup aka Kunio Kun is an outstandingly awesome game.

are you sure about this?

pro tip:
don't forget to use the special hymn of awesomeness as you progress through the final league ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhsTmiK7Q2M

PoxyRadical

Neo Member
It's happening... a few of my best players got negative potential, and I'm not even done with my 2nd season :/. I'm not sure how to proceed. just keep using them but also train a bunch of noobs on the side?
Most of the guy with negative potential are from the friend market. So I wonder if I should even invest cards into clone players..
Also I tried to train one of my youngsters who hadn't full potential yet, but he still got full points. so maybe it's better to start training them earlier in their carrier?

I think somebody mentioned earlier that the points are the same, but the points needed to progress increase if potential is less.

I always have a group of young players that I slowly build to replace the veterans, as seasons progress I switch one or two into the first team and drop the worst of my veterans.

I have a bunch of players with two bars left of potential and going down, they have great stats though so I will keep playing them until they become crap.

EDIT: My friend code is: 4511-0485-9175

I will add everyone on the list and chuck some guys on the friend market.

Zornica

Banned
could whoever created "hayabusa" tell me what skills you tought him? because whatever it is, he seems to know a few pretty nifty tricks. he just jumped over a guy...

there seems to be something wrong with the excel sheet. the card #1 column isn't working properly

Spades

Good to see SpotPass support also and some new teams and tournaments to play:

If you’ve been eager to play some of the biggest national teams in the world with your pocket-sized club, now is the chance. From 2nd May to 21st July, amateur managers will be able to test their side against the likes of Spain, England, Holland and France. To participate, players will need to have SpotPass enabled in the game’s Airport. Once a team has been received, you’ll be able to play a friendly against them in the Match Offers section of the Stadium – provided you don’t have an upcoming league fixture. The upcoming national encounters are listed below:

Spain — Available 02/05/2014 14:00 UK time until 09/05/2014 13:59 UK time.
Italy — Available 09/05/2014 14:00 UK time until 16/05/2014 13:59 UK time.
Germany — Available 02/06/2014 14:00 UK time until 09/06/2014 13:59 UK time.
France — Available 13/06/2014 14:00 UK time until 20/06/2014 13:59 UK time.
England — Available 07/07/2014 14:00 UK time until 14/07/2014 13:59 UK time.
Holland — Available 14/07/2014 14:00 UK time until 21/07/2014 13:59 UK time.

Adding to these international friendlies are two tournament announcements. The first is the Welcome Cup, kicking-off on 16th May, and the second is the International Cup, beginning on 20th June. To participate, players will need to make sure SpotPass is enabled via the Airport. All tournaments have different conditions for entry, such as certain single player league requirements and a qualifying entry match. After these requirements have been fulfilled, you'll be able to compete against other eligible mangers to raise your club's tournament ranking.

Welcome Cup 16/05/2014 14:00 UK time until 01/06/2014 22:59 UK time. Warm up with this opening tournament – anybody can join!
International Cup 20/06/2014 14:00 UK time until 06/07/2014 22:59 UK time. Compete with managers across Europe – anybody can join!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...on_schedules_released_add_on_content_detailed

Also, all of the DLC teams are outlined here:

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2014...ket-Football-Club-add-on-content--875524.html

Checked my stats and now this is my third most played 3DS game, at ~25 hours.

RiggyRob

yeah, while Nintendo World Cup aka Kunio Kun is an outstandingly awesome game.

are you sure about this?

pro tip:
don't forget to use the special hymn of awesomeness as you progress through the final league ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhsTmiK7Q2M

I thought I was, but now I'm not so sure - I guess I must have just been finding all of the special skill combos recently.

Also, counting up the price of all the DLC teams comes to £15~ - I guess that's why they've released this game at £13.49 initially.

Zornica

Banned
my idiotic strikers keep overshooting... I had an online match a minute ago that ended 0:0, we had over 20(!) shots at the goal.
edit: twice -_-

there's nothing more frustrating than loosing against an opponent you can't possibly loose against.

I've noticed that some of the combos (all of them?) do more than just a stat boost. After Goalie Runs Up, my keeper will charge up the pitch for late corners (and even scored once). After RockABye, one of my players scored a goal and then did the rocking baby celebration.

you may want to read the last 2 pages

Shadders

The Spreadsheet is looking good now, I think it's complete? I've locked one of the sheets to stop it getting vandalised, so if you see any errors in the locked sheet, let me know.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17LnbSWJsP53Ip5uZ1rQBx7kB-wa4dmfxrId7ctq0V4U/edit

I've noticed that some of the combos (all of them?) do more than just a stat boost. After Goalie Runs Up, my keeper will charge up the pitch for late corners (and even scored once). After RockABye, one of my players scored a goal and then did the rocking baby celebration.

For those not au fait with football, it's traditional to do a rocking baby celebration after a goal when a player has just had a baby:

baby%2Bcelebration%2B%2528pedro%2Blucas%2529%2Bvs%2Bsunderland.jpg

Has anyone seen any others? I guess a lot of them would be more subtle.

Spades

Yes, when one of my players scores a goal, he always gets on all-four's and crawls along the touchline. His teammates follow behind him. I forget which combo I used to get this - Link perhaps?

RiggyRob

Yes, when one of my players scores a goal, he always gets on all-four's and crawls along the touchline. His teammates follow behind him. I forget which combo I used to get this - Link perhaps?

That'll be Choo-Choo-Train, which is eerily similar to the Human Centipede when you look at it.

Hasney

I believe that one is Wild Man.

EDIT: No, choo choo train. Wild man he does it on his own.

sugarless

The Spreadsheet is looking good now, I think it's complete? I've locked one of the sheets to stop it getting vandalised, so if you see any errors in the locked sheet, let me know.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17LnbSWJsP53Ip5uZ1rQBx7kB-wa4dmfxrId7ctq0V4U/edit

For those not au fait with football, it's traditional to do a rocking baby celebration after a goal when a player has just had a baby:

baby%2Bcelebration%2B%2528pedro%2Blucas%2529%2Bvs%2Bsunderland.jpg

Thanks for your work on the sheet! For the moves like Goalie Runs Up, I think the whole point of the combos is to not only give stat boosts but add behaviours that the player will have when they don't have the ball. So when they're in possession they will generally operate as they should do according to stats and position, but otherwise they can do some cool defensive moves or what have you.

RiggyRob

Haha, checked my online ranking and I'm 86th out of 523 clubs, my record's only W3 D0 L1 xD

Top guy in Europe currently has W92 D19 L15, which is weird because the top guy in the UK has W95 D24 L25. I guess it must go by win percentage rather than actual wins? When does the site update?

Also I didn't realise you can get cards from Ranking matches online, that seems like you could abuse it to coast through the single player if you didn't mind having a bad record online.

Spades

Code:
STG		3282-2612-1503
cw_sasuke	4313-0412-2734
Spades		0576-4101-9322	
Hasney		2466-2059-6830	
Stulaw		4768-7519-9584	
MicH		2836-0194-8979
DrWong				45A6C4B42
Oxx				FE1F3FAEB
sugarless			A3C4E2AD0

OK, I'm about to start my second season in the second league and I need some good players!

If you guys have got some A's and B's, please add me!

0576-4101-9322

Zornica

Banned
Also I didn't realise you can get cards from Ranking matches online, that seems like you could abuse it to coast through the single player if you didn't mind having a bad record online.

I've been doing that for a while now, but's not worth it. you get hardly any cards and you have to play a full game every time... it also completely ruined my score. 37 Victories, 19 draws, 28 loses. #84 in europe wide rankings, #2 in country rankings #1 in friend rankings.

lol I think I ruined my A-team with skills... my midfielders are acting way more aggressive and scoring way more often than my strikers.

edit: this is what I'm talking about
zlCfzR2Pip8smMr7gX

my guys need glasses asap.

edit2:
lol, I guess club E788A2A54 got censored on the website, but you can still see them ingame (currently they are #3 in europe)

this game is such a piece of random garbage, i can understand they released it digital only in europe, because paying full price for this shit would be criminal

2nd season now, promoted first season, and tactics/play style seem to matter shit

you can think of a great tactic to minimize chances when playing against a better team only for a shot from the sidelines 30 yards from your goal seemingly floating over your keeper's head in the 90th minute

the only worthwile thing is the addictive quality of improving your players (which goes a long way of you playing it) but goddamn, this has made me ragequit the last 2 times i tried to progress

can you guys add me as a friend, so i can look for some quality players? code is 1075-0723-4178

Top Bottom