• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Pocket Football Club |OT| Go for the shins! THE SHINS!!

PoxyRadical

Neo Member
Haha, checked my online ranking and I'm 86th out of 523 clubs, my record's only W3 D0 L1 xD

Top guy in Europe currently has W92 D19 L15, which is weird because the top guy in the UK has W95 D24 L25. I guess it must go by win percentage rather than actual wins? When does the site update?

Also I didn't realise you can get cards from Ranking matches online, that seems like you could abuse it to coast through the single player if you didn't mind having a bad record online.

Isn't it ranked by points, not WL (the right hand side)

Ninja Dom

could whoever created "hayabusa" tell me what skills you tought him? because whatever it is, he seems to know a few pretty nifty tricks. he just jumped over a guy...

there seems to be something wrong with the excel sheet. the card #1 column isn't working properly

Hayabusa is my creation. I taught him so many Special Combo cards that I can't even remember. In my second season I was still in the Beginner League but I purchased both of the DLC practice teams. Almost every week where I never had a match I did a Practice match against them and taught Hayabusa the Special Combo I received.

But there is now a downside. Now I'm in the Advanced League and Hayabusa immediately turns from green circle to yellow circle after playing any match or doing any training. He's on the fringe of being burnt out.

Ninja Dom

If anybody wants to grab my updated Hayabusa, then have a look now,

He's a Midfielder with A & B stats and an S stat for Running. Full Potential arrow too.

DagsJT

These people who had near-perfect first seasons, did you keep restarting until you had players who could ... you know, actually play football?

I've started a new game now after my previous game turned into such a mess. First friendly, against a team in my league, I lost 5-0 and then 3-0 in my second match. Playing a 4-4-2 diamond, zone pushed up a little to give the attackers some space which makes no difference whatsoever seeing as my team can barely pass the ball around let alone get a shot.

Either something's clearly not right with both of my games that I've started or I'm clearly crap.

Edit: And then my next practice match is against a team in another league where I play defensively ... and I "won" 3-0 when it finished after the 45 mins. Game is so random.

LoveCake

These people who had near-perfect first seasons, did you keep restarting until you had players who could ... you know, actually play football?

I've started a new game now after my previous game turned into such a mess. First friendly, against a team in my league, I lost 5-0 and then 3-0 in my second match. Playing a 4-4-2 diamond, zone pushed up a little to give the attackers some space which makes no difference whatsoever seeing as my team can barely pass the ball around let alone get a shot.

Either something's clearly not right with both of my games that I've started or I'm clearly crap.

I kept losing games until my first proper league game & i won 0-5.

Ninja Dom

Edit: And then my next practice match is against a team in another league where I play defensively ... and I "won" 3-0 when it finished after the 45 mins. Game is so random.

Lol!!!

In my first season of the Beginner's League I lost my first 5 games, then I started to understand and it clicked but by then it was too late for promotion.

I never restarted a new game save altogether, I just tried my second season in the Beginner League and I won 9 games and drew 1. Blitzed the entire league and got promotion, easily. Here are my tips:

- Focus on a Midfielder and your two main Forward (your Star Players). Train them every week. In the Beginner League they all have positive Potential (pointing right) even if their Potential arrow isn't full.

- When you don't have a match play a Practice Match against the best team available to you. I never skipped a week when there was no match on. Rest your star players during these Practice Matches. Practice Matches are only one half and don't affect your Manager Rating.

- In league matches I simply used default 4-4-2, didn't touch any zoning. First half of a match was Balanced Play. If I was winning comfortably then I switched to Always Attack, if not then Defend And Look For Chances.

I won the Beginner League and the Advanced League using these tactics with no trouble. Advanced League requires more juggling of your squad as you play 20 games in that season rather than 10.

Lastly, if you're still struggling then take some of our players from the Friend Market. My Hayabusa will light up your entire squad.

Ninja Dom

Fuck!! I gained promotion to Pro League 2 and I'm at the stage in the Office where I select my players for the new season and one of my Forwards wants his salary DOUBLED. He can fuck off especially as his Potential bar is pointing left and missing 3 arrows.

Been doing a little testing over the last couple of days....

1. I'm almost certain now that the skills taught by card combos *only* apply to the character that combo is taught to. Tested this one primarily with some of the more noticeable skills like Goalie Runs Up and Deadly Slide, but I can't see any reason why it'd be any different with other skills. So if you want multiple characters to have the same skill, you're going to have to use the combo multiple times, and keep track of who has been taught what.

2. The AI seems to follow set patterns. If you play a match without doing any substitutions, then reset your game and replay the match with the exact same formation, players, etc, the game will play out the exact same way. Substitutions, changes in formation, and changes in tactics will however change how the game plays out from that point on.

Zornica

Banned
Been doing a little testing over the last couple of days....

1. I'm almost certain now that the skills taught by card combos *only* apply to the character that combo is taught to. Tested this one primarily with some of the more noticeable skills like Goalie Runs Up and Deadly Slide, but I can't see any reason why it'd be any different with other skills. So if you want multiple characters to have the same skill, you're going to have to use the combo multiple times, and keep track of who has been taught what.

2. The AI seems to follow set patterns. If you play a match without doing any substitutions, then reset your game and replay the match with the exact same formation, players, etc, the game will play out the exact same way. Substitutions, changes in formation, and changes in tactics will however change how the game plays out from that point on.

@1. This has been discovered about 2 pages ago using "long throw". But it's always nice to get further confirmation. btw: is deadly slide worth it?
maybe it's time we made a list of "good moves" every player should learn for all 4 positions. Maybe there is some kind of secret sauce- move I don't know about yet.

@2: are you sure about this? Sometimes I'm forced to restart when I waste my most valuable cards on shitty combos. And in rare cases I forgot to save between finishing the last game and my card experiments, so I had to replay those games again and they never ended up identical..

@1. This has been discovered about 2 pages ago using "long throw". But it's always nice to get further confirmation. btw: is deadly slide worth it?
maybe it's time we made a list of "good moves" every player should learn for all 4 positions. Maybe there is some kind of secret sauce- move I don't know about yet.
Yeah, I saw your post a couple of pages ago, but wasn't sure if you'd done any additional experimentation there. Don't think anyone else had either, had they? Like you said, always good to have more confirmation.

Deadly slide is a bit dangerous. As the combo pic suggests, it's a studs up sliding tackle. There seems to be an increased risk of getting yellow cards from it, as well as an increased chance of injuring your opponent. When it works without a yellow, the opponent does seem to roll around on the ground for longer than they might otherwise.

@2: are you sure about this? Sometimes I'm forced to restart when I waste my most valuable cards on shitty combos. And in rare cases I forgot to save between finishing the last game and my card experiments, so I had to replay those games again and they never ended up identical..

Pretty sure, yes.

• Played the same match out 3 times with the same settings each time, and making sure to not make any substitutons. Each time, the match played out EXACTLY the same.
  • Played the match a 4th time, this time playing an online game first, but I still got the same result.
  • Tried again a further 2 times, making substitutions at the start of the 2nd half. The 2nd half then played out differently to how it played out in the first 4 games, however it played out in exactly the same fashion both times.
  • Tried doing training with a player not in the squad before starting the match. Back to the original result.
  • Tried doing training with a player on the bench, who I subbed in for 2nd half in the earlier test. When I subbed him in this time, I got a different 2nd half to what I got in that previous test (so stats DO matter!)
  • Tried doing training with a player in the starting lineup, got a different game to any of the previous ones.
  • Tried modifying the formation. Still used the same base preset formation I had been using before, but this time manually moved the position of 1 of my midfielders forward 1 square. This again changed how the game played out.

I think that test is pretty comprehensive, but I'd still encourage others to try it and see if they can replicate my results. If they can't be replicated....well, then I'd love to know what sort of RNG rut I got into that could cause that sequence of results to happen.

PoxyRadical

Neo Member
Pretty sure, yes.

I think that test is pretty comprehensive, but I'd still encourage others to try it and see if they can replicate my results. If they can't be replicated....well, then I'd love to know what sort of RNG rut I got into that could cause that sequence of results to happen.

This makes sense, they must always use the same seed, therefore unless you change a stat somewhere the game will always play out the same.

Zornica

Banned
ok... apparently if you got a lot of time and patience you could farm cards online with friend matches. They don't influence your ranking but give cards. (like 2-3 per game...)

Zornica

Banned
I'm aware of that, but I won't buy dlc. Ever.

My team is broken. I know what's the problem but I don't know how to fix it. As I mentioned for the majority of the game we have the ball, we have the most shots at the goal but we never score.
I just had a game I lost 0:1. The opponent had 2 shots at my goal, I head over 20 at his... That's basically all games in a nutshell. I only seem to win if the opponent is weak or by brute force.
I really need to figure out how to fix this.
My B-Team seems to fare way better. Maybe I've overbred my mains with to many (useless?) skills.
somebody (with dlc packs teams :p) need to write a list of usefull combos :7

RiggyRob

I'm aware of that, but I won't buy dlc. Ever.

My team is broken. I know what's the problem but I don't know how to fix it. As I mentioned for the majority of the game we have the ball, we have the most shots at the goal but we never score.
I just had a game I lost 0:1. The opponent had 2 shots at my goal, I head over 20 at his... That's basically all games in a nutshell. I only seem to win if the opponent is weak or by brute force.
I really need to figure out how to fix this.
My B-Team seems to fare way better. Maybe I've overbred my mains with to many (useless?) skills.
somebody (with dlc packs teams :p) need to write a list of usefull combos :7

What are your tactics/formation/style of play?

It's not immediately obvious but your B-team may actually turn out to be better than your A team - if your players have low potential but pointing right, they'll be better over time than players with full potential pointing right because they'll start decreasing potential earlier.

Zornica

Banned
What are your tactics/formation/style of play?

It's not immediately obvious but your B-team may actually turn out to be better than your A team - if your players have low potential but pointing right, they'll be better over time than players with full potential pointing right because they'll start decreasing potential earlier.

nah, my B-Team mostly consists of old players I don't use anymore because of their decreasing potential or players I never used/never trained. They are mostly D's and a few C's with max or decreasing potential.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I've added the friends code list (the one that sugarless collected) to the OP.

If there's anything else then I'll check the thread sporadically over the next day to see.

Is there still no news for a NA release? :(

Not yet. Hopefully they'll do something before the World Cup starts since the Americas are a big football community.

Zornica

Banned
Time to rebuild!

this is the worst part of the game... investing hours upon hours in a charakter without any return in the end :/

I was thinking, maybe I should just play with clones from the friend market and grow my own people as a B-Team on the side. But there are hardly enough cards to do that.

When players get negative potential, do they loose their abilities? or does it just get harder to improve them? because if someone is already in the A or S range for most stuff, wouldn't it be more efficient to just keep pushing him instead of starting anew?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
When players get negative potential, do they loose their abilities? or does it just get harder to improve them? because if someone is already in the A or S range for most stuff, wouldn't it be more efficient to just keep pushing him instead of starting anew?

No, i read in the manual that the abilities get worse with every year if you arrive at your lowest potential.

btw. Havent played in a week and never played an online match - but i saw on my ID page that i have like 20 games listed, seems like you dont even need to be online for other squads to play against you. Im done with the game for now, but still neat to see.

Evenbillybob

Neo Member
Making a cup upset feels good. My team absolutely destroyed a Pro League 1 team in the Federation Cup. Pretty good for at team in the Advanced League.

Also: Are players potential and ratings randomized when you start a new game? Or will a player, like my star Teixeira, always be a decent player?

RiggyRob

Making a cup upset feels good. My team absolutely destroyed a Pro League 1 team in the Federation Cup. Pretty good for at team in the Advanced League.

Also: Are players potential and ratings randomized when you start a new game? Or will a player, like my star Teixeira, always be a decent player?

I think they're randomised - earlier I said one of my starting players Kuipers was crap but he was decent for someone else.

It sucks when your established stars start declining, but it does feel good unearthing new talent and developing them to be even better than your old players were.

Edit: Yesss, promotion to Pro League 1! The penalty shootout went much better this time.

Zornica

Banned
lol... someone tried to farm points and kept challenging my team over and over again, but failed miserably and now I'm ranked #50th. This is probably as high as I'll ever get.

Ninja Dom

My team is fucked. I qualified for Pro League 2 and over half of my team got negative Potential, their arrow facing the wrong way.

Because of this I haven't renewed the contract on about 7 players including 3 of my stars. I'm grabbing the best players I can from the Friend Market to try and give my team a chance of something. But it's now almost a totally different team from only a couple of seasons ago.

RiggyRob

Ok, I've got 119/125 card combos now and I need some help getting the rest:

In the in-game card combo list, what is:

- The combo between Midfield Strike and Super Long Shot?
- The combo between Killer Pass and Last Gasp Pass?
- The combo between Compact Field and Eye Contact?
- The combo between Flowing Football and Rush Attack?
- The combo between FK Master and Last Trump?
- The combo between Acrobatics and Choo-Choo Train?

PoxyRadical

Neo Member

- The combo between Compact Field and Eye Contact? = Trick Play

Also players can still improve even with backwards potential, and really the players are worth keeping until potential has completely gone, then they will lose their skills very quickly.

Zornica

Banned
My team is fucked. I qualified for Pro League 2 and over half of my team got negative Potential, their arrow facing the wrong way.

Because of this I haven't renewed the contract on about 7 players including 3 of my stars. I'm grabbing the best players I can from the Friend Market to try and give my team a chance of something. But it's now almost a totally different team from only a couple of seasons ago.

yeah... I got the same problem. I don't know I should deal with this.... I've started hiring new people with weak positive potential but it will take time (and lots of cards...) to improve them. Meanwhile I'll just ride it out with my old guys I guess. It should take at least another season before there potential hits rock bottom.

btw: @ people on my friend list, could you renew you shared players? most stuff on there is unusable by now... negative potential near the bottom, bad stats and so on

between FK Master and Last Trump? - FK Legend

Ninja Dom

yeah... I got the same problem. I don't know I should deal with this.... I've started hiring new people with weak positive potential but it will take time (and lots of cards...) to improve them. Meanwhile I'll just ride it out with my old guys I guess. It should take at least another season before there potential hits rock bottom.

btw: @ people on my friend list, could you renew you shared players? most stuff on there is unusable by now... negative potential near the bottom, bad stats and so on

I've just re-shared my players on the Friend Market. But their Potential isn't as good as when I was sharing them last week. Their stats are slightly better though.

I've cleared out around a third of my team. I never renewed their contracts due to either massive drops & negative Potential or asking for more than double in Salary increases. I've replaced them with players from the Friend Market because if you have enough Friends then you can get some really good players with positive Potential and high stats who still only command 500 coins in Salary.

I attempted to buy a 4,500 coin Forward from the Pro League 1 but he wasn't interested in joining my team.

Zornica

Banned
let's say if I were to buy ONE of the dlc teams, which one would be the best?

also I was thinking... Maybe we should initiate some kind of kooperation. there is noone everyone of us can create 11 top players by themselves. So maybe it would be best if everyone focused on a handful of people to share, and get the rest from others who do the same.
this would require some coordination though.

RiggyRob

also I was thinking... Maybe we should initiate some kind of kooperation. there is noone everyone of us can create 11 top players by themselves. So maybe it would be best if everyone focused on a handful of people to share, and get the rest from others who do the same.

Probably one of the £2.29 teams (Nerds, Aliens or Clones) since it seems they give a variety of cards/combos, whereas the description of the others suggest they give out particular cards (e.g. the defensive team gives out attacking cards and vice versa).

I wouldn't say creating 11 top players is impossible, it'll just take some work, and you'll be trying to get the best players possible to win the Treble anyway.

Spades

I wouldn't say creating 11 top players is impossible, it'll just take some work, and you'll be trying to get the best players possible to win the Treble anyway.

We should all buy a 50 player in a different position and train them up until they are all A and S rank, share them and then in a few weeks we will have a Dream Team XI!

PoxyRadical

Neo Member

Your team's stats are great, my team somehow beat them 4-2. Ibanez is a beast with his shot.

02D4B-6987A-2597F

RiggyRob

What are the cards for FK Legend? Can't find it in the spreadsheet.

Chiramii

Couldn't resist buying this as I'm a huge fan of the 'Pocket League Story' Kairosoft games. Havent really had time to sink me teeth into this game yet but I'll leave my friend code here and add you guys when I find time to do so.

4682-8467-2345

Ninja Dom

It's my fifth Season and I'm in the Pro League 1. I only had to do the very first Beginner League Season twice, every other Season I managed to gain promotion (although I may not have outright won the league).

Yeah so a lot of my established players have some serious negative Potential. Do you guys still bother spending Training Cards on your players with negative Potential?

Its still only transfers from the Friend Market that offer any reasonable value for money. I bought who I thought was gonna be a Wonder Defender. He cost over 3000 coins and came from a foreign team. He had a mix of only D and A ratings. He was useless, He got a yellow dot after every game he played. I only kept him for one season.

RiggyRob

It's my fifth Season and I'm in the Pro League 1. I only had to do the very first Beginner League Season twice, every other Season I managed to gain promotion (although I may not have outright won the league).

Yeah so a lot of my established players have some serious negative Potential. Do you guys still bother spending Training Cards on your players with negative Potential?

Its still only transfers from the Friend Market that offer any reasonable value for money. I bought who I thought was gonna be a Wonder Defender. He cost over 3000 coins and came from a foreign team. He had a mix of only D and A ratings. He was useless, He got a yellow dot after every game he played. I only kept him for one season.

I don't - I keep the negative potential players as my first team (they've usually got the best stats/skills) and I train up the positive potential players instead.

You're making me feel bad about paying 9000 coins for my top striker with an S in Kicking and As/Bs in everything else.

Oxx

I haven't played in a few days, but I got some streetpasses so I'm back in.

A sweet 6-0 win in my first match.

Zornica

Banned
We should all buy a 50 player in a different position and train them up until they are all A and S rank, share them and then in a few weeks we will have a Dream Team XI!

At first I thought there is some kind of relation between salary and "hidden" potential. But then, while some of my people never missed a single game and had max potential for 3 seasons with a minuscule salary, others didn't even last a single one. The speed with which potential decreases also seems random.
I'm kinda lost... I don't know how to proceed... I can only push 2, maybe 3 people at the same time, but now EVERYONE has negative potential -_-.
I usually stop using cards when they turn negative, even though it would be better if I kept pushing them for another season. If their potential declines as slow as it rose, they should last me for another 3 seasons, presumably.

edit:
http://microsite.nintendo-europe.com/NPFC/deAT/team.php?team_code=BA5B75047
damn...

Oxx

In spite of losing 2 out of the first 3 games, I'm top of the Advanced League with 4 games to go. Trying to hang on.

LoveCake

In my first season i am in 2nd place with one game to go i am 2pts behind the leaders who i have to play away on my last game.

I just got beat 7-0 in my first cup game, i had to play the team that is 2nd in the top league :(

Top Bottom