• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q1 FY 23/24 Earnings Report: Hardware 3.91M LTD 129.53M, Zelda TotK 18.51M

zeldaring

Banned
What? You gotta to be kidding me! Fuck no, games like Elden Ring and Sekiro shit over that game.

if thats your take then I have zero desire for Zelda EVER be like GOW.
Sikero is my favorite cause the bosses are so epic and elden ring is great as well, but In terms of variety gow is the best and in harder difficulty very challenging. They are all great imo.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You are wrong. Delete this.
timon-nope.gif

zeldaring

Banned
played through Sekiro and Elden Ring several times by now, with GOW played once and deleted from my PS5.

both the combat and boss fight is soooooo much better in Sekiro and Elden Ring.
Nothing compares fromsoftware bosses but the combos and variety are on another level in GOW and still remains challenging

zeldaring

Banned
If talking about combo based combat, games like Bayonetta and DMC blows it out of the water.

I don’t want any game copy what GOW does…..fuck no.
I played DMC5 but the bosses and enemies just stand there and watch waiting to get beat up. Gow is very similar to dark souls were enemies are aggressive and dodging is essential on harder difficulties it just has more variety and weaker bosses but hey if you don't like it then you don't like it.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I played DMC5 but the bosses and enemies just stand there and watch waiting to beat up. Gow is very similar to dark souls were enemies are aggressive and dodging is essential on harder difficulties it just has more variety and weaker bosses but hey if you don't like it then you don't like it.
I played both GOW 2018 and GOWR and hardest difficulty and to me it complete BS to say "the best combat in gaming" thats hyperbolic as fuck.

zeldaring

Banned
A 17min health sponge fight? That is fun? I don't see any strategy in that!
He's playing on level 1 on hardest diffulity. You are sppose to be level 95. The video just highlights the speed, variety and beautifully timed dodges in battle. Fight was epic as fuck.

I'm not sure what you mean by strategy it's typical combat games strategy look for openings and need to perfectly timed dodges and blocks also know when to attack.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Nothing compares fromsoftware bosses but the combos and variety are on another level in GOW and still remains challenging

This really doesn't showcase GOWR in its best light and I don't know why you'd post that.

The difficulty on GMGOW has the enemies health pool dramatically increase, their damage output gets insane, and they can even level up mid-fight, becoming even harder to kill.

GMGOW is meant to be taken on NG+ where you have decked out gear and powers, not level 1 where you do paltry damage and take an agonizing 17 minutes to beat a single boss.

This is someone who has mastered the intricacies of the combat and shows a masterful understanding and handle of the mechanics. No one got time to watch a 17 minutes boss fight.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
This really doesn't showcase GOWR in its best light and I don't know why you'd post that.

The difficulty on GMGOW has the enemies health pool dramatically increase, their damage output gets insane, and they can even level up mid-fight, becoming even harder to kill.

GMGOW is meant to be taken on NG+ where you have decked out gear and powers, not level 1 where you do paltry damage and take an agonizing 17 minutes to beat a single boss.

This is someone who has mastered the intricacies of the combat and shows a masterful understanding and handle of the mechanics. No one got time to watch a 17 minutes boss fight.

You can also find amazing Youtube videos of TotK combat, how innovative it can be, with very skilled players.

Kataploom

Gold Member
This why I enjoy Nintendo and FROM games because they chose gameplay and interaction over “realistic graphics” and this mostly why I’m lost interest in Sony first party games.
It's funny how many here state that "From games aren't about graphics" when a big part of those games appeal is graphics. The game are beautifully created in terms of visual design, art, composition and animation fluidity. Same for Nintendo games, there are some switch games I definitely play because the graphics felt amazing like DK: TF and Xenoblade games.

Nintendo and From Software are masters in graphics department, they just don't overspend on trying to mimic realism with still not fully realistic results (which leads me to uncomfortable uncanny valley feel).

That's what their audiences want and appreciate, and that's why people keep buying Switch despite others putting their own metrics too measure them in order to make them look bad despite sales like this lol.

Hardensoul

That looks better!

But to me BoTW/TotK is good, too, pretty varied with different types of weapons and strategy with types of elemental weapons or fuse(TotK). This is why I disagree with Zelda combat being bad!

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
That looks better!

But to me BoTW/TotK is good, too, pretty varied with different types of weapons and strategy with types of elemental weapons or fuse(TotK). This is why I disagree with Zelda combat being bad!
Nothing wrong with admitting a game has weak points I loved gow but the level design now is dated in ragnarok especially if they wanna making the game much bigger.

I'm playing totk near finishing the third temple. No boss requires any real skill it's just about having enough meals or the right weapons fused and abusing bullet time. Then Champions make things Even easier since they attack and distract the boss. You can take the time to learn all these crazy moves in videos but you don't need to and it never teaches you. In gow you are required to get good on harder difficulties no pausing to infinity heal, movement and dodging/side step feels great, weapons switching is seamless its just on a different level like zelda is when it comes to exploring, freedom and puzzles

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned

Pretty sick video, but i thought even the first 5 minutes of the other video were amazing. The perfectly timed dodges and blocks, and the speed wanted to make me replay the game again but i already have 80 hours in the game at 95% and the level design really started to really annoy me towards the end.

Hardensoul

Nothing wrong with admitting a game has weak points I loved gow but the level design now is dated in ragnarok especially if they wanna making the game much bigger.

I'm playing totk near finishing the third temple. No boss requires any real skill it's just about having enough meals or the right weapons fused and abusing bullet time. Then Champions make things Even easier since they attack and distract the boss. You can take the time to learn all these crazy moves in videos but you don't need to and it never teaches you. In gow you are required to get good on harder difficulties no pausing to infinity heal, movement and dodging/side step feels great, weapons switching is seamless its just on a different level like zelda is when it comes to exploring, freedom and puzzles
I never mention anything about what combat is better nor have I compared combat to other games!

When I first played BoTW it didn’t caught me, I didn’t pick it back up several months later. I was the game with my 12yr old nephew and he was doing stuff. It movitated to try it again. Then it clicked and I put in 700hrs and now TotK I’m over 400hrs.

I like Zeldas combat and I also acknowledged it’s faults. I’ll defend against people saying it’s bad combat.

tr1p1ex

"I'm a musician. I'm not a gunslinger. That's the difference between what I do and what a lot of guitar heroes do."

This is the same difference between Nintendo and most other developers.

zeldaring

Banned
I never mention anything about what combat is better nor have I compared combat to other games!

When I first played BoTW it didn’t caught me, I didn’t pick it back up several months later. I was the game with my 12yr old nephew and he was doing stuff. It movitated to try it again. Then it clicked and I put in 700hrs and now TotK I’m over 400hrs.

I like Zeldas combat and I also acknowledged it’s faults. I’ll defend against people saying it’s bad combat.
The combat does have variety and bullet time fun, but many things can be massively improved. Not trying to shit on the games cause i do think botw was a 9 out of 10 for me while TOTK is a 8. I just feel that's zelda biggest weak point is the core melee combat, and movements, plus enemy variety and move sets. They also need to work on really refining ui massively.

Hardensoul

The combat does have variety and bullet time fun, but many things can be massively improved. Not trying to shit on the games cause i do think botw was a 9 out of 10 for me while TOTK is a 8. I just feel that's zelda biggest weak point is the core melee combat, and movements, plus enemy variety and move sets. They also need to work on really refining ui massively.
UI is fine I like the menus! I have no issues finding things in the inventory.

They need to get rid of whistle put about quick action there(maybe this is where health food/elixir go)! Restrict the quick menu to 5-10 that you select. Let us pre fuse arrows! That’s my main issue for now!

Edit: I now play in Pro Mode! Everything is basically hidden!

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Pretty sick video, but i thought even the first 5 minutes of the other video were amazing. The perfectly timed dodges and blocks, and the speed wanted to make me replay the game again but i already have 80 hours in the game at 95% and the level design really started to really annoy me towards the end.
They're amazing to you because you know the context of the fight; Gna is the hardest boss in the whole series and you know how punishing she is on the hardest difficulty. For someone unfamiliar with this however, it just looks like Kratos is spamming attack and dodging. No runics, no rolls, no talismans, nothing. The purists will appreciate this video. Everyone else will go "WTF is he doing?" after 2 minutes.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

They're amazing to you because you know the context of the fight; Gna is the hardest boss in the whole series and you know how punishing she is on the hardest difficulty. For someone unfamiliar with this however, it just looks like Kratos is spamming attack and dodging. No runics, no rolls, no talismans, nothing. The purists will appreciate this video. Everyone else will go "WTF is he doing?" after 2 minutes.
That was me, it just look like health sponge fight and I didn’t even know Kratos was a level 1 fighting level 95. Doesn’t seem that punishing that a level one can still block attacks from high level boss!

I know people don’t like weapon breaking but Zelda is pretty punishing from strong boss attacks. Shields can shatter after blocking 1 attack.

But I do see experts destroying higher mobs in Zelda. There’s that!

zeldaring

Banned

And here is an actually cool Gna fight.

Yea i was just trying to show the basic combat movement and speed but yea this video is much better. I love how this game has a side step dodge and roll. I would put this and Sikero as the best melee combat in gaming.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
That was me, it just look like health sponge fight and I didn’t even know Kratos was a level 1 fighting level 95. Doesn’t seem that punishing that a level one can still block attacks from high level boss!

I know people don’t like weapon breaking but Zelda is pretty punishing from strong boss attacks. Shields can shatter after blocking 1 attack.

But I do see experts destroying higher mobs in Zelda. There’s that!
That guy is a god it's one of the hardest boss fights of all time.

Top Bottom