• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q1 FY 23/24 Earnings Report: Hardware 3.91M LTD 129.53M, Zelda TotK 18.51M

zeldaring

Banned
They are, though this is about Nintendo games being appealing and why, not about Sony games lol

The sole reason I used TLOU as an example is because you mentioned it and I'm playing it, currently right after the giraffe scene.

Nintendo games are quite appealing to many people, it's ok if you don't like them, I don't feel attracted to most western stuff, they look boring and have bored me sometimes giving them a chance. I'm not gonna shit on Rockstar threads calling their games simple or inferior just because they don't require deep knowledge and hours of mastering it's complexity like Xenoblade or tales of Zestiria combat (since they focus more on simulations which is another type of complexity I don't care so much).

To each their own 🤷
The person i replied to was basically shitting on Microsoft and Sony. making it seem like Nintendo is the only one that makes fun games which is very subjective. aside from that i mentioned last of us 2.

I do like mario and zelda btw. I just feel they haven't stepped up their game with mario since mario 64. they are good games but Nothing that has really blown me away.

Last edited:
As long as they don't make the same mistakes they did with the Wii / Wii U transition, they can keep going. Western and Japanese third-party publishers are both important, but for healthy console sales, Western developers need to be there.
The Switch really does have an incredible games library, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for what's to come.

I would disagree there though

They might not have the Western Third party support compared to the massive support by the Japenese Third Party but despite that the Switch is selling fine without the Western support

And they have Fortnight, and other big Western IPs on the Switch. Now it looks like Call of Duty will be coming back to Switch once the Microsoft/Activision deal goes through. I think that they learned from the mistakes from the Wii U with the Switch. I think Switch 2 will be even more successful though

Personally I think some Western Third Parties are gonna to try make some excuses as to why they won't release games on a Switch 2 despite the hardware being better. It'll be funny to read at least lol

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Regional hardware

y2tAefQ.png

Regional software

DMLBG6A.png

Hardware milestones: Japan passes 30 million and America's passes 50 million, Other passes 15 million and America's outshipped in a quarter for the first time ever.
Software milestones: highest ever global Q1, highest ever America's Q1 and highest ever Q1 and quarter in general by Other.
Hardware sales in Japan are absolutely wild. Less than 3 million behind the whole of Europe!

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Must be the only person in the world who thinks the switch and Nintendo games are like Beyoncé…. Overrated
Imagine being this fucking salty lmao.

Meh no surprise. It’s Nintendo.
Surviving off nostalgia and the Beyoncé factor
Completely agree with him. Nintendo gets away with mediocre games because they’re looked at with rose tinted glasses.
Good on Nintendo. One of the few companies who can just rehash and turn out mediocre and people just have to have it cause you know its Nintendo.
Good going. I’m in the what I assume to be very very small minority who don’t like anything Nintendo. I feel like Nintendo gets so much hype because they’re Nintendo, not because what they put out is really that good. Kinda like Beyoncé..... both overrated
I just love when people are so hurt by the success of a company that they need to be in every thread shitting on their success. This is just a sample of your posts. Haters like you give Nintendo life.

Chastten

Banned
I'll never understand the reason for doing that. I mean, I don't care one bit about Sony's games personally, I think they're boring and overrated, but that's exactly the reason why I don't get into PlayStation threads. Let people enjoy the stuff they enjoy.

But for some reason, there's always tons of people vomiting their negative opinions in Nintendo threads. It's weird, like they feel threatened by Nintendo's success.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I'll never understand the reason for doing that. I mean, I don't care one bit about Sony's games personally, I think they're boring and overrated, but that's exactly the reason why I don't get into PlayStation threads. Let people enjoy the stuff they enjoy.

But for some reason, there's always tons of people vomiting their negative opinions in Nintendo threads. It's weird, like they feel threatened by Nintendo's success.
Not to mention Nintendo doesn't offer the same experiences at all as Sony.

zeldaring

Banned

But for some reason, there's always tons of people vomiting their negative opinions in Nintendo threads. It's weird, like they feel threatened by Nintendo's success

Probably cause people come into a thread to discuss sales and you will have certain people brining up Sony and Microsoft saying their games are boring and Nintendo's are expertly crafted.

Chastten

Banned
Probably cause people come into a thread to discuss sales and you will have certain people brining up Sony and Microsoft saying their games are boring and Nintendo's are expertly crafted.

Oh, I dont mind discussions, I was more talking about the drive-by posts quoted a few messages earlier.

What's the point of coming into a thread to say 'Must be the only person in the world who thinks the switch and Nintendo games are like Beyoncé…. Overrated' ?

It doesn't make you special. It doesn't make you edgy. It just makes you look like a jealous tool.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I would disagree there though

They might not have the Western Third party support compared to the massive support by the Japenese Third Party but despite that the Switch is selling fine without the Western support

And they have Fortnight, and other big Western IPs on the Switch. Now it looks like Call of Duty will be coming back to Switch once the Microsoft/Activision deal goes through. I think that they learned from the mistakes from the Wii U with the Switch. I think Switch 2 will be even more successful though

Personally I think some Western Third Parties are gonna to try make some excuses as to why they won't release games on a Switch 2 despite the hardware being better. It'll be funny to read at least lol
They don't need any excuse, the actual reason was never power, it was audience.

Nintendo audience prefer other stuff than theirs, they've always been a non-factor on any Nintendo console because they don't make the games Nintendo audience tend to like, and that's ok, it's just how the market works.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Sony and Microsoft aren't making boring games. What they are doing is making games that have to appeal to the lowest common denominator, so they can sell as many copies as possible, to as many people as possible. It's greed over gameplay, every time. That piece of shit Series S... Sony games now all being ported to PC... Nothing first party is made exclusively for one platform anymore. Nothing is made to push the hardware to its limits. Nothing is made to be creatively different, or surprising, or compelling. It's all corporate mandated, beige game-making, controlled by executives who don't have a clue about gaming.

Nintendo take a different approach - an old school one, where they make their games for as single platform, and do all they can to make the best games possible - and they deserve to win this console generation because of it.

Last edited:
Oh, I dont mind discussions, I was more talking about the drive-by posts quoted a few messages earlier.

What's the point of coming into a thread to say 'Must be the only person in the world who thinks the switch and Nintendo games are like Beyoncé…. Overrated' ?

It doesn't make you special. It doesn't make you edgy. It just makes you look like a jealous tool.

Funny enough that guy hardly posts at all. I just ended up putting him on ignore. Every post he made is him just saying how much he hates Nintendo lol

They don't need any excuse, the actual reason was never power, it was audience.

Nintendo audience prefer other stuff than theirs, they've always been a non-factor on any Nintendo console because they don't make the games Nintendo audience tend to like, and that's ok, it's just how the market works.

Really?

The support for Switch is fantastic but that's mostly from Japanese Third Parties. Lot of Western Third Parties are just gonna to make an excuse when it comes to putting games on the next Switch. I have both a PC and Switch. I'm a big Nintendo fan and I buy lot of games that are Third Party on Switch. When it comes to Western Third Parties, I tend to see if it's a lazy port and if it is, I'll just buy it on Steam. I don't expect things to change when it comes to Western Third Parties coming to Switch 2. They will make ridiculous excuses lol

zeldaring

Banned
Sony and Microsoft aren't making boring games. What they are doing is making games that have to appeal to the lowest common denominator, so they can sell as many copies as possible, to as many people as possible. It's greed over gameplay, every time. That piece of shit Series S... Sony games now all being ported to PC... Nothing first party is made exclusively for one platform anymore. Nothing is made to push the hardware to its limits. Nothing is made to be creatively different, or surprising, or compelling. It's all corporate mandated, beige game-making, controlled by executives who don't have a clue about gaming.

Nintendo take a different approach - an old school one, where they make their games for as single platform, and do all they can to make the best games possible - and they deserve to win this console generation because of it.
Can't take this post seriously. Sony games are always pushing the system to it's limits, and the reason they are greedy cause they port to PC lol, while Nintendo is not by offering Wiiu ports that are 8-10 years old for 60$. offering one game to one platform doesn't make it better. Fromsoftware develops for mutiple platforms and their games are by far the best.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Funny enough that guy hardly posts at all. I just ended up putting him on ignore. Every post he made is him just saying how much he hates Nintendo lol

Really?

The support for Switch is fantastic but that's mostly from Japanese Third Parties. Lot of Western Third Parties are just gonna to make an excuse when it comes to putting games on the next Switch. I have both a PC and Switch. I'm a big Nintendo fan and I buy lot of games that are Third Party on Switch. When it comes to Western Third Parties, I tend to see if it's a lazy port and if it is, I'll just buy it on Steam. I don't expect things to change when it comes to Western Third Parties coming to Switch 2. They will make ridiculous excuses lol
Money don't need excuses if it can be made, that's the thing, it was once said that they can't compete with Nintendo in their platforms, their games are too different from Nintendo audience testes and if they try to appeal to those users they'd get smashed by Nintendo games lol.

I'll buy whatever third party on steam too, even if it's on switch, but some friends have switch as main and sole console, I think switch audience is way more diverse than most of Nintendo audience historically now but still mostly focused on Japanese and gameplay centric games.

Money don't need excuses if it can be made, that's the thing, it was once said that they can't compete with Nintendo in their platforms, their games are too different from Nintendo audience testes and if they try to appeal to those users they'd get smashed by Nintendo games lol.

I'll buy whatever third party on steam too, even if it's on switch, but some friends have switch as main and sole console, I think switch audience is way more diverse than most of Nintendo audience historically now but still mostly focused on Japanese and gameplay centric games.

True

I find it interesting that the Switch Audience is older. The audience being diverse is interesting too. I might be wrong but the attach rate for third party games are great for the Switch also. Especially with Japanese Third Parties. I have a ton of games be it JRPG, Visual Novels, indies, RPGs etc on Switch.

I have a ton of indies on Switch are from Western Third Parties. Hell Steamworld Dig 2 is in Top 5 Switch games of all time for me. I can't wait for Sea of Stars to come out.

As for Steam, I'm eventually gonna to wait to get a Steamdeck, since I hope they release a revision with a 1080p screen. I have a big Steam backlog and having it on the go is a massive plus for me. But it's funny most of the games I played recently that have been memorable have been the ones that haven't been as great in graphics lol. But my PC is due for an upgrade. I've been gaming on this thing since 2014-2015

The Switch proved that Third Parties especially Western Third Party games can sell on a Nintendo Platform

Last edited:

Tams

Not really. most Sony games have difficulty options. GOW, GOT, LOUP2 and even Spiderman require skill on harder options. mean while in something like mario you have to get near the end to finally get a challenge that doesn't put me to sleep.

Shouldn't you be going?

Your mum's calling you for tea.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Can't take this post seriously. Sony games are always pushing the system to it's limits, and the reason they are greedy cause they port to PC lol, while Nintendo is not by offering Wiiu ports that are 8-10 years old for 60$. offering one game to one platform doesn't make it better. Fromsoftware develops for mutiple platforms and their games are by far the best.

First party, as I stated in my post. And Sony don’t push shit since Jimbo decided everything must go to PC.

zeldaring

Banned
First party, as I stated in my post. And Sony don’t push shit since Jimbo decided everything must go to PC.
I'm confused. Sony first party games are the best looking games around, that means they are pushing the system, and my fromsoftware example shows that releasing on multiple consoles can still yield amazing games, and never mind that sony games come first on ps5 then a year later on PC so it's a none issue.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm confused. Sony first party games are the best looking games around, that means they are pushing the system, and my fromsoftware example shows that releasing on multiple consoles can still yield amazing games, and never mind that sony games come first on ps5 then a year later on PC so it's a none issue.
Tears of Kingdom has more interaction than any of Sony’s first party games and in that game you can go from high sky to deep underground with no loading. I would say Tears Kingdom absolutely does push the system, what you are mostly talking about surface level graphics.

Robb

Gold Member
Dreams was pretty cool though, definitely feels like that was a game that pushed the genre (whatever that genre is called). Despite being a flop (I guess).

zeldaring

Banned
Tears of Kingdom has more interaction than any of Sony’s first party games and in that game you can go from high sky to deep underground with no loading. I would say Tears Kingdom absolutely does push the system, what you are mostly talking about surface level graphics.
I'm playing tears of the kingdom i never said it doesn't push the system but it's like comparing apples to oranges. Games are going fo totally different things. if you are making a game with a realistic graphics/settings you can't achieve what zelda does and it would also just not work.

By this logic zelda TOTK would be the only game pushing the switch.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I'm playing tears of the kingdom i never said it doesn't push the system but it's like comparing apples to oranges. Games are going fo totally different things. if you are making a game with a realistic graphics/settings you can't achieve what zelda does and it would also just not work.
This why I enjoy Nintendo and FROM games because they chose gameplay and interaction over “realistic graphics” and this mostly why I’m lost interest in Sony first party games.

zeldaring

Banned
This why I enjoy Nintendo and FROM games because they chose gameplay and interaction over “realistic graphics” and this mostly why I’m lost interest in Sony first party games.
Yea but that's only zelda and fromsoftware, I would not call the gameplay great in zelda since the combat and controls are horrible imo. Now if zelda changed it'combat to something good and gave us a freaking horse like torrent then yea, it would be my best game ever. Sony games like last of us 2, GOT, and GOW have great gameplay thanks to it's combat. I'm a huge fan of fun challenging combat in games and Nintendo doesn't do that.

Danjin44

Yea but that's only zelda and fromsoftware, I would not call the gameplay great in zelda since the combat and controls are horrible imo. Now if zelda changed it'combat to something good and gave us a freaking horse like torrent then yea, it would be my best game ever. Sony games like last of us 2, GOT, and GOW have great gameplay thanks to it's combat. I'm a huge fan of fun challenging combat in games and Nintendo doesn't do that.
I would say I enjoyed Zelda‘s gameplay waaaay more than those games….so I highly disagree with you on that.

Also has its own combat that serves gameplay well, as much as I love FROM games I don’t want every fucking game be “souls-like”.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I would say I enjoyed Zelda‘s gameplay waaaay more than those games….so I highly disagree with you on that.

Also has its own combat that serves gameplay well, as much as I love FROM games I don’t want every fucking game “souls-like”.
Same. Also, combat is the last thing on my list of things to improve in Zelda. Focus should be on puzzles and dungeons imo.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned

Also has its own combat that serves gameplay well, as much as I love FROM games I don’t want every fucking game “souls-like”.
It doesn't have to be souls like it just has to be good, but if you enjoy it more power to you.

Robb

Gold Member
It doesn't have to be souls like it just has to be good, but if you enjoy it more power to you.
I’d argue it has to be serviceable if it’s not the main focus of the game. In something like God of War combat and story is important, puzzles isn’t. In Zelda puzzles and exploration are important, combat or story isn’t. And it shows in both what they’ve focused on, and they excel at those things.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I’d argue it has to be serviceable if it’s not the main focus of the game. In something like God of War combat and story is important, puzzles isn’t. In Zelda puzzles and exploration are important, combat or story isn’t. And it shows in both what they’ve focused on, and they excel at those things.
My problem with GOWR "puzzles" is I dont see the point being in there in the first place if they wont let you solve it yourself? It just becomes wast of time. If they dont trust their players to solve them by themselves then they better off just taking out puzzles all together.

Robb

Gold Member
My problem with GOWR "puzzles" is I dont see the point being in there in the first place if they wont let you solve it yourself? It just becomes wast of time. If they dont trust their players to solve them by themselves then they better off just taking out puzzles all together.
I don’t disagree, but you hardly see people disregard the game due to the puzzle being bad. And I’m just saying ‘I get it’ because that’s not why you play GoW anyway. Just like you don’t play Zelda for the combat.

There’s obviously room for improvement in both cases, but would any fan really want that at the expense of something more important? And should the devs focus on it if that’s not why people play their game?

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
I'm a huge combat guy while exploring and puzzles are fun i get bored sometimes and just need that thrilling challenging combat experience to keep things from getting stale. So yea i think fun, rewarding combat system and freaking great horse will take the game to the next level for me.

Robb

Gold Member
I'm a huge combat guy while exploring and puzzles are fun i get bored sometimes and just need that thrilling challenging combat experience to keep things from getting stale. So yea i think fun, rewarding combat system and freaking great horse will take the game to the next level for me.
I can get behind that. Although I’m in the opposite corner and would rather have more and improved puzzles/dungeons/challenges.

zeldaring

Banned
I will say this. while i enjoyed GOWR on the first play through cause of the great combat, and challenge. trying to explore the world and doing 100% dragged the game experience down. Drop the level design and make it more souls like then they can go to the next level.

Danjin44

I will say this. while i enjoyed GOWR on the first play through cause of the great combat, and challenge. trying to explore the world and doing 100% dragged the game experience down.
I personally found GOWR tedious, especially Atreus sections....I dont even want to think about replaying that game ever again.
Drop the level design and make it more souls like then they can go to the next level.
Not EVERY fucking game needs to be Souls-like, I'm really getting sick of this. I LOVE FROM games but I HATE how other devs trying too hard to be like them...just stop it.

daclynk

Maybe you suck at the game or you are playing it like a action game which its not. this game gives u soo much freedom to play around with enemies. show me a game that does that like TOTK.

zeldaring

Banned
Maybe you suck at the game or you are playing it like a action game which its not. this game gives u soo much freedom to play around with enemies. show me a game that does that like TOTK.
It all goes back to if you like experimenting, and i don't. I just wanna play the game. I'm literately 140 hours in elden ring and all i used was the katana and added another for duel wielding, haven't used any summons i only like entering menus if i'm stuck, and i also hate building in Zelda. if u love experimenting then i'm sure you will love it.

MrA

Banned

switch attach ratio will hit 8.7 this year if Nintendo meets their software expectations (I think they're going to beat it, hardware hitting 15 would be great, Zelda's performance has been nuts and I think Pikmin seems to be overperforming, and wonder should be a huge hit) should be able to top ps2 total software sales, doubt it will be able to touch ps4, though that is now a nebulous mess with sony lumping ps4 and ps5 software together

I personally found GOWR tedious, especially Atreus sections....I dont even want to think about replaying that game ever again.

Not EVERY fucking game needs to be Souls-like, I'm really getting sick of this. I LOVE FROM games but I HATE how other devs trying too hard to be like them...just stop it.
yeah I like souls games too, but I can't stand anything that kills variety, like when everything was call of duty during the 360 days was so annoying, not because of call of duty but everything worsened by trying to be something they weren't

zeldaring

Banned

Nothing wrong with taking some good aspects of a game and putting the in others. like Elden ring can use a town or 2 like in zelda and some easier NPC quests, to add variety to the gameplay. GOW level design just annoying, where everything is maze like or blocked making it more souls like level would be amazing since they have the best level design in the busniess.

daclynk

It all goes back to if you like experimenting, and i don't. I just wanna play the game. I'm literately 140 hours in elden ring and all i used was the katana and added another for duel wielding, haven't used any summons i only like entering menus if i'm stuck, and i also hate building in Zelda. if u love experimenting then i'm sure you will love it.
so its not ur kind of game then if u only like combat. Its also not the game's fault.

zeldaring

Banned
so its not ur kind of game then if u only like combat. Its also not the game's fault.
I do enjoy puzzles and exploring and I feel that zelda has always done that well. Zelda has never really been about experimenting not even botw was like this but choice is always a option and nothing wrong with wanting just a good core combat system. This is where zelda needs evolution imo. They basically started the lock on combat system with oot.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I do enjoy puzzles and exploring and I feel that zelda has always done that well. Zelda has never really been about experimenting not even botw was like this but choice is always a option and nothing wrong with wanting just a good core combat system. This is where zelda needs evolution imo. They basically started the lock on combat system with oot.
Same way games like ICO and Shadow of the Colossus the focus is the puzzles and exploration more than combat and that’s true with Zelda games as well. In fact I actually like the combat in BotW and TotK, it serves core game well.

I dont want Zelda EVER be like games like GOW or TLOU, it’s thanks to those games that I’m losing interest in Sony first party games.

zeldaring

Banned
Same way games like ICO and Shadow of the Colossus the focus is the puzzles and exploration more than combat and that’s true with Zelda games as well. In fact I actually like the combat in BotW and TotK, it serves core game well.

I dont want Zelda EVER be like games like GOW or TLOU, it’s thanks to those games that I’m losing interest in Sony first party games.
Even if zelda had gow combat which is probably the best combat in gaming they still wouldn't be alike. It would be just zelda with amazing, and extremely satisfying combat

Top Bottom