• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q1 FY 23/24 Earnings Report: Hardware 3.91M LTD 129.53M, Zelda TotK 18.51M

Switch sales are the most impressive ever by a console. More impressive than the PS2, since Switch has never had an official price cut, doesn't have the major secondary function of being a DVD player to bolster sales, and isn't as cheaply made as the PS2 to have resales from broken consoles. Nor does Switch have as massive of third party support as PS2, no CoD or GTA. Bonkers sales.

Zelda finally has the commercial success to match its critical success, greatest franchise in gaming on top in all ways.
If you could have picked up your PS2 and took it with your portably it would be a more decent comparison. The switch is both a handheld and a home console and should be measured as such.

It’s insanely impressive, but remember when the Wii was selling 100m+ and their handheld was going gangbusters too? They’ve consolidated for good reason, but total units are due to it being both types of console.

Woopah

If you could have picked up your PS2 and took it with your portably it would be a more decent comparison. The switch is both a handheld and a home console and should be measured as such.

It’s insanely impressive, but remember when the Wii was selling 100m+ and their handheld was going gangbusters too? They’ve consolidated for good reason, but total units are due to it being both types of console.
Every consoles sales are due to its hardware and software features. It epxlains the hardware sales but it doesn't change how we measure it sales, just like being a DVD player doesn't change how we measure PS2 sales, or being a Blu Ray player doesn't change how we measure PS3 sales.
Are there any numbers released for 3rd party games? Skyrim, Witcher, Portal etc
Nintendo can only reveal numbers for games that they themselves publish. All we know is that there weren't any third party games which sold 1 million on Switch in the quarter. Which isn't surprising given the third party releases that quarter.

Mr Hyde

Are there any numbers released for 3rd party games? Skyrim, Witcher, Portal etc

While Bethesda hasn't shared any sales for Skyrim they once said it was a very successful port, so a likely guess is over a million units. CD Projekt shared sales of the Witcher 3 two years ago I think for Switch which at the time was around 850 000 copies. Reggie Fils Aimes said Hollow Knight had moved over 3 million units on Switch and said it was one of the most successful third party games on Switch. And that was several years ago. Other than that, I don't know. Publishers are stingy with sales numbers. Especially regarding Switch.

Hardensoul

Pre release I didn’t think TotK would outsell BotW, I changed my mind after playing the TotK. But the rate it’s selling is even more incredible.

I can’t even predict TotK sales, how much more this holiday? Up to 25 million? Or surpass BoTW next year?

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
While Bethesda hasn't shared any sales for Skyrim they once said it was a very successful port, so a likely guess is over a million units. CD Projekt shared sales of the Witcher 3 two years ago I think for Switch which at the time was around 850 000 copies. Reggie Fils Aimes said Hollow Knight had moved over 3 million units on Switch and said it was one of the most successful third party games on Switch. And that was several years ago. Other than that, I don't know. Publishers are stingy with sales numbers. Especially regarding Switch.
It dropped at the peak of Switch hype, and was one of the first big 3rd parties to do it. Had gyro control options as well as a few Zelda items and was featured in Nintendo Direct. I think it did well, as you said.

Zelda series now over 150 million

pY5EOUx.png

*BotW was a dual release and includes 1.70 million units sold by the Wii U version
*TP was a dual release and includes 1.43 million units sold by the Gamecube version

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
If they hit their target, they will probably sold around 140m by next year March end. That's 15m more to becoming the top selling console ever.

Saber

Gold Member
Godness above, these numbers are insane. Specially TotK, a new game with that massive numbers. Well done.

UnNamed

Banned
Switch sales are the most impressive ever by a console. More impressive than the PS2

PS2 lived in a era where 220M consoles where sold, and 155 were just PS2.

Switch is currently sold in a era of 117M PS4, 50M XBO, and 61M PS5/XSX in just three years. When it's true people have now more choices on where to play (mobile gaming, etc), Switch is played by at least two generation of players, sons and father who were gamer in the '89/'90, PS2 just one.

IMHO PS2 is still the better.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member

It's a gaming device first and foremost, that's what counts. Or how do we measure ps2 sales? For it being a game console or DVD player? 🤔

And if Switch and Switch lite had two completely different libraries, you'd have a point but there's no reason for most people to get both or just another switch for handheld play, contrary to Wii and DS for which you'd lose on some big games by not having the other.

BTW, impressive numbers all around, but I'm a bit disappointed Xenoblade 3 didn't pass 2 millions 🙁

Boy bawang

Market leader since 2017 don't @ me 😎

Also, Splatoon 3 is a bit of a disappointment and the series is plateauing, even regressing. That what you get when you release a safe sequel of a game like that.

Chastten

Banned
Very impressive for both Switch and TotK.

TotK did roughly 5m more than I would've expected, but deserves every sale nontheless.

Switch sales are impressive, but thats mostly because of Japan. I'm still counting on a Switch successor in 2024.

We still have Mario Wonder that'll do >10m and Mario RPG & the Peach game that might do from anywhere between 3 to 10m but other than that, there's probably not a lot of big sellers on the horizon for Switch anymore.

zeldaring

Banned
Nintendo sells games and hardware to make money, ms and sony sells subs and microtransactions
Yea I'll take Sony busniess model anyday over Nintendo. I enjoy Sony's games more. Microtransactions and subs are optional. While if you are on a Nintendo console nothing is optional. You have no option for better hardware, games that are 10 years old are still 60$, while on Sony platform I can get 2 year old games for 10-20$. Getting a switch just to be functional home console will cost you as much as a ps5 digital cause you need a pro controller and sd card and the hardware are leagues apart in power.

I would appreciate it if a mod could change the title to Nintendo as i made a stupid spelling error without noticing.

EDIT: Thankyou

Last edited:

Hardensoul

That's when Nintendo will play the 'price-cut' card. They haven't had a need to do that yet, seven years into this monster's life.
I don’t know if price cut is necessary, Switch just need or already on track 4m more sales to become its 3rd best year according to charts in this thread!

Edit: I'm dumb I read chart incorrectly.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

Ps2 sold over 150mn but 24mn of those were sold in Asia after 2007 - after the PS3 came out and until 2013. Another 10mn sold in Europe and 6mn in NA during that time as well.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

Closer to 110+. It hit 100M when 360 released.
But yes - it had the longest tail of any modern console post a successor release.
Wikipedia says over 24mn were sold in Asia after 2007. I would have to think they found new markets. That it wasn't just Japan. I don't know tho.

Musashipan

That can't be right
I was told many times that Nintendo was doomed!
Nintendominaton. Switch > ps2
Only reason ps2 sold that amount is due to poor build quality, almost everyone I knew had more than one ps2, also piracy helped.

havoc00

So how do they follow up the Switch and keep the momentum going? Just put out a better switch? Or will they risk doing something totally new

compete in what way? Sony makes like 2x the revenue of what Nintendo does per year.
There is a small disclaimer to that though, both Sony and Microsoft consider 100% of third party software sales as their own revenue even though they only keep 30% of third party software revenue. Nintendo only considers their 30% cut as their revenue, Playstation would still make more revenue than Nintendo if they only considered 30% of third party software as their's but the gap wouldn't be as big.

Playstation is just way ahead when it comes to revenue from subscriptions, microtransations, dlc and third party unit sales. It helps when the biggest third parties are putting all their games, dlc and microtransations on you're platform.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There is a small disclaimer to that though, both Sony and Microsoft consider 100% of third party software sales as their own revenue even though they only keep 30% of third party software revenue. Nintendo only considers their 30% cut as their revenue, Sony would still make more revenue than Nintendo if they only considered 30% of third party software as their's but it would be a bit closer.
Where is this from? That does not even sound legal when it comes to earnings reports.

Why would they want to pay taxes on income not received?

Top Bottom