• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man’s Sky |OT| Next!

Kadayi

Banned
Raid manufacturing plants. Just use your ship to blow the doors open on a fly-by and then wait out the 30-second sentinel alert, then just waltz in. You often get chemical/technical formulas that will allow you to make extremely high-value substances/items out of basic elements.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
New experimental patch notes:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/0/1736588252368066560/

• Fixed an issue that prevented planets from being added to the Discovery timeline when exiting certain ship models
  • Fixed an issue that prevented players from using the Pulse Engine to escape between waves of Sentinel space fighters
  • Fixed an issue that could cause base NPC workers to become unresponsive after moving / deleting your base
  • Substantially increased the length of time fuel lasts in the hydroponic trays
  • Fixed a crash related to creatures
  • Fixed a crash related to terrain generation
  • Fix for an issue with PC shader compilation when the game is first booted which would occasionally result in a crash
  • Various performance improvements
  • Various improvements to load times
  • Fixed an issue that incorrectly limited the number of storage containers that could be built on the freighter
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent construction in the freighter base
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the 'Nearby buildings' scan on the signal booster to fail
  • Fixed an issue that prevented exploration-focussed frigates from charging their scanners
  • Fixed an issue that prevented damaged frigates from being completely repaired
  • Fixed an issue where players could start their game in inappropriate systems when starting in multiplayer
  • Marked icons are now automatically cleared on arrival at the marked target
  • Fixed a number of cases where the HUD would prompt to mark icons that did not need marking
  • Improved target locking for ship PvP
  • Improved the appearance of HUD markers on player ships
  • Fixed a number of visual issues around using the Analyser Visor in very specific circumstances
  • Improved the mapping of the Steam Controller
  • Removed an obsolete building product from the blueprint analyser
  • Combat music now triggers when fighting biological horrors
  • Slightly increased the damage dealt by biological horrors
  • Fixed an issue that could cause expedition rewards to artificially increase after save/loading
  • Fixed an issue where the Personal Forcefield could be deployed on 0% charge
  • Fixed an issue where the Mining Beam and other weapon effects displayed the wrong colour in multiplayer
  • Fixed an issue where the screen on the Multi-Tool would display the wrong ammo count for the Blaze Javelin
  • Fixed an issue where the Multi-Tool was invisible in Photo Mode
  • Fixed an issue where the Personal Forcefield would remain in-world forever when cycling Alt Weapon modes
  • Fixed an issue where meleeing while sprinting could cause an animation glitch
  • Improved the appearance of clouds in 4K/1440p modes
  • Visual improvements made to some exotic biomes Visual improvements made to the space station technology merchants
  • Increased the visibility of underground toxic hazards Visual improvements to buried technology modules

iconmaster

Banned

Nice! And they seem to have settled on some reasonable grow times (16hr solar vines) with 1.56.

The 1.56 jetpack boost turns out to be... fine. It's again more forward-moving so you don't have to aim the camera at the ground to get the arc you want. But it's not quite as punchy as it used to be. It'd really throw you forward before, and that was fun. But it's fine.

Seems like the frigate fuel blueprint is still bugged for lots of people. Wonder why that's such a tricky fix. (To be fair, I haven't tried for a couple days. Maybe they did fix it and I just missed the patch note.)

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
A suggestion for the teleporter:

Currently (and it doesn't matter where I put the teleporter), when I teleport back to my base, I'm thrown off a cliff and have to hit jetpack to stop myself getting hurt. I then have to climb the cliff to my base.

I think, having placed a teleporter down, we get two other options that appear in the menu next to the teleporter. One for the character and one for the ship. These would be something simple like a green X for the character and a blue X for the ship. When you place these down, your ship and yourself teleport to that designated spot. If you place the blue X on a landing pad, it makes that landing pad unavailable to NPC ships and becomes the spawning point for your ship. You may choose not to do that, in which case the landing pad would work as normal and the ship just appears where you've placed the blue X. This gives us complete freedom over the spawn points. You may want your ship to spawn on a nice pit of land, or as I've suggested, the landing pad, or you might want your character to spawn inside your house.

This NEEDS to be done.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
100% Serious question about buying this game

What is the appeal as of right now and do I need drugs to enjoy this? Is this a minecraft situation where people play it cause "freedom"?

Redshirt

Banned

What is the appeal as of right now and do I need drugs to enjoy this? Is this a minecraft situation where people play it cause "freedom"?

Exploration is the biggest appeal imo. I don't think there's any game quite like it in that regard.

It does have Minecraft elements, but Minecraft is superior in those aspects I think because the grind in NMS isn't balanced well at all.

Whether I'd recommend it to someone else really depends on what they expect from it.

Edit: Should add that I play Survival and haven't tried Normal since launch (I guess) so the grind may be different on the standard mode.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Are the animals and planets still samey?

To a new player, no. You ma

For someone new to NMS there's more than enough content to justify the price of entry, and there's more content coming.

iconmaster

Banned

I have put 140 hours into No Man's Sky and I still can't answer that precisely.

For a certain type of person, it's endlessly fascinating. YMMV.

I think I saw it for ten bucks recently, though, so.... what have you got to lose?

Edit: Wal-Mart had it for $10 a couple weeks ago. It's $20 now. https://www.walmart.com/ip/No-Man-s-Sky-Sony-PlayStation-4-711719501466/50179422

Last edited:
Finally found my money making routine and now I'm stuck in it instead of doing other things. It's not a huge insta-rich routine, but its better than what I ha dbeen doing. There's some luck in it, but its basically trading at a trading post to make circuit boards or explosive.

I should probably get back to main quest or deep exploration.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Finally found my money making routine and now I'm stuck in it instead of doing other things. It's not a huge insta-rich routine, but its better than what I ha dbeen doing. There's some luck in it, but its basically trading at a trading post to make circuit boards or explosive.

I should probably get back to main quest or deep exploration.

Just upgrade you multitool with S-class scanner modules and scan everything while digging up treasures. I make between 3m - 6m per planet. I could make much more if I carried on looking for treasure. Each stack of 15 is worth around 750,000 and you get between 2 - 4 each dig. It doesn't take long at all to amass a good amount of cash. I'm currently on 155m and I've only been doing this.

Yes, now that I have the units, I've been trying to find a s-class Scanner but had no luck finding one. I got a B class scanner early on and only found one real upgrade since and I couldn't afford the scanner at the time.

I think a Vyklean (spelling is probably all wrong) system may be my best bet.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Yes, now that I have the units, I've been trying to find a s-class Scanner but had no luck finding one. I got a B class scanner early on and only found one real upgrade since and I couldn't afford the scanner at the time.

I think a Vyklean (spelling is probably all wrong) system may be my best bet.

You can find S-Class scanner upgrades in any system. When you do find one, buy it, jump in and out of your ship to save and then reload. Do that three times and you'll have your 3 S-Class upgrades.

iconmaster

Banned
(Never mind, Gribble noted the 1.57 improvements already)

(Excited about improved load/warp times though)

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
New experimental patch notes:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/0/1736588252368066560/

• Fixed an issue that prevented planets from being added to the Discovery timeline when exiting certain ship models
  • Fixed an issue that prevented players from using the Pulse Engine to escape between waves of Sentinel space fighters
  • Fixed an issue that could cause base NPC workers to become unresponsive after moving / deleting your base
  • Fix for an issue with PC shader compilation when the game is first booted which would occasionally result in a crash
  • Various improvements to load times
  • Fixed an issue that incorrectly limited the number of storage containers that could be built on the freighter
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the 'Nearby buildings' scan on the signal booster to fail
  • Fixed an issue that prevented exploration-focussed frigates from charging their scanners
  • Fixed an issue where players could start their game in inappropriate systems when starting in multiplayer
  • Fixed a number of cases where the HUD would prompt to mark icons that did not need marking
  • Fixed a number of visual issues around using the Analyser Visor in very specific circumstances
  • Fixed an issue that could cause expedition rewards to artificially increase after save/loading
  • Fixed an issue where the Mining Beam and other weapon effects displayed the wrong colour in multiplayer
  • Fixed an issue where the screen on the Multi-Tool would display the wrong ammo count for the Blaze Javelin
  • Fixed an issue where the Personal Forcefield would remain in-world forever when cycling Alt Weapon modes
  • Visual improvements made to some exotic biomes Visual improvements made to the space station technology merchants
  • Increased the visibility of underground toxic hazards Visual improvements to buried technology modules

They are esswntiallly delivering on a 2-3 weeks cadence, which makes me think they have schedule their work well and are responsive to internal QA and user reported issues. Frequent updates with plenty of quality of life improvements and fixes in each update with one per quarter or so bigger new features filled conte t updates (Atlas Rises, Next, etc...). Congrats!

Kadayi

Banned
Not sure about anyone else but the latest Experimental has been pretty crashy for me. I've had a couple of BSOD incidents and it will also crash when trying to reload. Also graphical glitches. The location icons have been strobing a bit, which is quite distracting.

iconmaster

Banned
By the way, I finally went through the base restoration mission and I recommend doing so. I figured it'd just have me build a base archive device and then leave me to get to work, but no -- it completely regenerates your pre-Next base.

What that meant for me is I got my old farm back and was able to transplant a bunch of crops to my current home base.

Kadayi

Banned
Finally managed to nab the exotic I was after on my latest playthrough. I spotted it early on in my starting system and figured I'd put progressing the storyline on hold until I had enough bank to buy one. Who knew mining salt and selling Chlorine could be so profitable (as well as a bit of archaeology & Humming egg activity)

9E2F88D1B41A696682B8032713572D86F0AC00E0

Took a ridiculous amount of time to finally spawn (even using the reload save method) and the first time I got so excited I managed to fall off the roof of the Trade Building and the pathetic starter jump thrusters let me down before the bugger flew off (Nooo!!!). Still, tenacity paid off and it's a delight to fly. Very responsive and it even has its own distinct sound. Needless to say, the lack of inventory does mean I'm having to take a more circumspect approach to play, so I'm focussing now on bulking out my Exo-suit with slots and upgrading my Multi-tool components. In that regard, I was blessed in finding an S rank 24 slot in one of the innumerable Vykeen outposts I visited. Sadly a gun (I'd have preferred better mining/scanning) and a fugly pastel green/pink, though I dare say I'll be on the lookout for one of the cool experimental white ones.

Last edited:

Harlock

I should had upgrade my scanner soon. Put a S module and now any new animal scanned gets 40 to 120k credits. Even plants will give 20k.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I should had upgrade my scanner soon. Put a S module and now any new animal scanned gets 40 to 120k credits. Even plants will give 20k.

Once you get three, things get much better. I currently get 500k for big or rare creatures and 65k per plant. Always pick the upgrade that increases the creatures though, plants are great but the increase for creatures is far more significant. Save and reload if you don't get want you want the first time. I NEVER cheat when playing normally but feel it's justified because of the silly system NMS is using. They should show you the stats before you buy them and allow you to compare.

Kadayi

Banned
Once you get three, things get much better. I currently get 500k for big or rare creatures and 65k per plant. Always pick the upgrade that increases the creatures though, plants are great but the increase for creatures is far more significant. Save and reload if you don't get want you want the first time. I NEVER cheat when playing normally but feel it's justified because of the silly system NMS is using. They should show you the stats before you buy them and allow you to compare.

Agreed. Getting all the creatures on a planet can often be pretty tedious, you might as well get well rewarded for it.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Patch 1.57 is now up for the PS4, folks! Only the PC notes to go on but it should be the same. 2.5gb:

• Prevented an occasional crash on Xbox One X in scenes with a high node count
  • Various improvements to load times (approximately 5-10% improvement to warp times, 30% improvement to initial game load)
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the ‘Nearby buildings’ scan on the signal booster to fail
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the lobby not to display all available games on PS4
  • Visual improvements made to some exotic biomes
  • Visual improvements made to the space station technology merchants
  • Increased the visibility of underground toxic hazards
  • Visual improvements to buried technology modules

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Customisation coming? Take a look at the pic of the new space station and note the ship in the background and the hologram to the left. Three red squares for certain parts of the ship ... to be replaced?

42365940060_61afa2aa81_o.png

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Getting ready for Quicksilver rewards. This is sitting behind the suit upgrade merchant now and the Quicksilver icon has changed:

44126207132_bbfc432130_o.png

FranXico

Customisation coming? Take a look at the pic of the new space station and note the ship in the background and the hologram to the left. Three red squares for certain parts of the ship ... to be replaced?

42365940060_61afa2aa81_o.png
Maybe the ability to buy extra slots for the ship, similar to what one can do with the exosuit.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Gribble...

giphy.gif

Well this is all very exciting stuff.

A long as that quicksilver stuff isn't multiplayer only. That would be a kick in the nuts for long term supporters.

On another note, they also changed the design for the buried treasure from a tube to a box. This is purely an aesthetic change that affects nothing ... but does it? Consider 'the box' over 'the tube'. Boxes are far more relatable for anything of any shape whilst tubes where fine for blueprints (rolled up to fit). This change along with the possible customisation suggests to me we'll likely be hunting these ship parts down in the same way we were hunting base building parts.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Maybe the ability to buy extra slots for the ship, similar to what one can do with the exosuit.

They can't do that. It would break an important part of the gaming loop and remove any status for lucky or enterprising players. If they do it, It'll be a huge mistake and yet another step away from what NMS was.

Last edited:

Handy Fake

They can't do that. It would break an important part of the gaming loop and remove any status from lucky or enterprising players. If they do it, It'll be a huge mistake and yet another step away from what NMS was.
Exactly - I hope they don't allow too much customisation of the base model of the ship either. I like the fact that you need to seek out a ship you want. A few cosmetic upgrades here and there would be nice though. The odd fin perhaps.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Exactly - I hope they don't allow too much customisation of the base model of the ship either. I like the fact that you need to seek out a ship you want. A few cosmetic upgrades here and there would be nice though. The odd fin perhaps.

As long as it's just cosmetic then it's fine but anything else would be a huge mistake. Hunting down ships and finding good slot configurations is a huge part of the game and should not be tampered with.

Kadayi

Banned
As a thought I was wondering if we should start a separate tips, tricks and strategies thread for any one new to the game?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
As a thought I was wondering if we should start a separate tips, tricks and strategies thread for any one new to the game?

It's up to you. This thread was kindly started by Redshirt because, at the time, I was still juniored and couldn't make it myself. I would be more than happy to see this thread slip from sight in favour of a more rounded and in depth thread. Feel free to steal any of the pics I've posted here to build that OT.

Last edited:

Magus00

As long as it's just cosmetic then it's fine but anything else would be a huge mistake. Hunting down ships and finding good slot configurations is a huge part of the game and should not be tampered with.

If they only allowed use of Quicksilver for extra slots etc, I would be okay with it.

Kadayi

Banned
It's up to you. This thread was kindly started by Redshirt because, at the time, I was still juniored and couldn't make it myself. I would be more than happy to see this thread slip from sight in favour of a more rounded and in depth thread. Feel free to steal any of the pics I've posted here to build that OT.

I'm not on about killing this thread (I like the news updates) I mean more a resource and strategies thread. I dare say we likely all play and approach things in a different manner and its sometimes quite beneficial to outline the how and why behind things.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Even if Quicksilver is only available in multiplayer? Be careful what you wish for. People wanted third person and now we have:

1: We can no longer walk up sleep slopes in 1st person because they had to accommodate an animation in 3rd person
2: We can no longer run down a steep slope because they had to accommodate a sliding animation in 3rd person
3: The Melee/jetpack trick no longer packs a punch or feels as satisfying because they had to accommodate a melee animation in 3rd person
4: We can no longer build up speed under water by running on the bottom, because they added a swimming animation in 3rd person

Kadayi

Banned
Even if Quicksilver is only available in multiplayer? Be careful what you wish for. People wanted third person and now we have:

1: We can no longer walk up sleep slopes in 1st person because they had to accommodate an animation in 3rd person
2: We can no longer run down a steep slope because they had to accommodate a sliding animation in 3rd person
3: The Melee/jetpack trick no longer packs a punch or feels as satisfying because they had to accommodate a melee animation in 3rd person
4: We can no longer build up speed under water by running on the bottom, because they added a swimming animation in 3rd person

^ truth. I actually prefer the first person so the restrictions are quite jarring I find.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I'm not on about killing this thread (I like the news updates) I mean more a resource and strategies thread. I dare say we likely all play and approach things in a different manner and its sometimes quite beneficial to outline the how and why behind things.

Just make it and see how it goes. Any new info, like updates and additions, I'll post here to keep it bubbling over. If I have anything to contribute in terms of advice or tricks and tips, I'll post it in your thread.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Food coming? If they include food then they're likely to also include levels of competence based on how well fed you are. It also opens up the possibility of having a farm.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

You can probably PM a mod and get them to merge this thread with your new OT once you have it made. If you wanted, no reason not to make that an OT2 IMO.

Top Bottom