• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky could end up being the "Spore" of this generation

Crayon

This game looks better with every concern thread. This time i learned there was ground combat and portals.

... marketing firm? Hello Games?

There is something called nitpicking and you are doing a great job at it. You don't really need a marketing firm, you just need someone to select things that show your game at its peak.

The trailers aren't quite as choreographed as most. They do admit there's some debug stuff going on that normal players won't be able to do, but they also admitted they had to play and replay things multiple times in order to create something they could present as a trailer.

How do you know it isn't as choreographed as most? Do you have some inside knowledge that we don't know?

antibolo

Banned
Spore tried too hard to be too many things.

No Man's Sky is really just an interstellar exploration simulator, with no additional pretense. Worst case is it will be boring after a while.

RiverKwai

There is something called nitpicking and you are doing a great job at it. You don't really need a marketing firm, you just need someone to select things that show your game at its peak.
Sean Murray said he did most of it. And it's not so much "showing the game off at it's peak" but flying around, looking for something interesting to put in the trailer that doesn't give away too much stuff or confuse people with it's potential weirdness. For example, the "dinosaur" planet was picked mostly because everyone kind of inherently "gets" what a dinosaur is. He's said that there are animals, or different scenarios with animals being in unfamiliar environments that would, out of context, not make sense to show.

How do you know it isn't as choreographed as most? Do you have some inside knowledge that we don't know?

What else exactly would they choreograph? The trailers are clips of actual environments and encounters. We know it's gameplay because first off, they tell us - secondly - Sean Murray has demonstrated the game in-engine (in debug mode) on live video, on the same planet one of the trailers is from.

Spore tried too hard to be too many things.

No Man's Sky is really just an interstellar exploration simulator, with no additional pretense. Worst case is it will be boring after a while.

There's a lot of pretense in this game, which is why one might say that it's getting overhyped. "Billions of possible procedurally generated planets with unique life forms and resources".
Ironically, such game has to be able to deliver a compelling campaign to be enjoyable. That, or a minecraft-like level of customization and player interaction.

There is literally nothing pretentious about this. In fact, as it's been pointed out - billions is short changing the game. If anything, saying billions is talking it down.
They can be billions of quadrillions, or a googleplex's worth of planets, it doesn't change my point. I want to know what's the point of exploring the planets other than exploration for the sake of it.

RiverKwai

There's a lot of pretense in this game, which is why one might say that it's getting overhyped. "Billions of possible procedurally generated planets with unique life forms and resources".

There is literally nothing pretentious about this. In fact, as it's been pointed out - billions is short changing the game. If anything, saying billions is talking it down.

RiverKwai

Are people just really not able to comprehend that an exploration game is about exploration and it's reward is discovery? Like, you aren't leveling up, or tallying kills, or buying property.
Is it that hard? Sound boring to you? That's ok. Games don't all have to be for you.

There were more people content to believe the earth had an end and sailing too far would cause you to fall off it - than to actually go try to sail there and figure out what was past the end of the map. This game is trying to capture the feeling of going past the end of the map. That's why some people are excited. Doesn't excite you? Doesn't have to and maybe it's not supposed to.

Sorry to disappoint
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h5vwfEaONg&t=8m10s

Does have a cool galaxy map navigation and ship warp jumping though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h5vwfEaONg&t=10m45s

Oh, bummer...

Music and presentation levels are off the charts, however. Whatever happens, NMS will be a looker for sure.

Are people just really not able to comprehend that an exploration game is about exploration and it's reward is discovery? Like, you aren't leveling up, or tallying kills, or buying property.
Is it that hard?
Stuff like MMOs, Assassin's Creed, and Call of Duty have destroyed expectations for rewards. If it's not a gratification IV (not a sequel), then there's clearly something unsatisfying or bad about the game.

I think, unlike Spore, these guys have been pretty upfront about what you will, and maybe more importantly what you won't, be able to do.

RedSwirl

I'm kinda shocked at all the posts assuming you do absolutely nothing but fly around and explore in this game. And as someone just said, that by itself would actually be enough for me. But Hello Games has shown and explained repeatedly that there is other shit you do in the game. We know that you explore in order to get resources/money and upgrade your ship and gear so you can explore more and potentially kill bigger and badder stuff.

It's not just a flying simulator. It can be that. But it can also be a space trucker simulator, or a fighter pilot simulator, or a mercenary simulator, or whatever you make of it.

Because if the game is almost entirely procedural generated, it's very hard for them to control what's going on in it as much as you could for a linear AAA game. They can't control or 100% predict what the AI does for instance, and they especially can't directly control how the landscape plays out, just tweak the seed. They already said they had to fly around and actually discover planets that looked good for trailers.

Future

No mans sky seems like terrain, the game. All these planets. Endless possibilities. All leading too...

Slightly different rocky terrain.

I don't know. The things that makes worlds interesting is design. Not randomness

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

That's not nitpicking, it's a legitimate shutting down of the previous statement. It has been clear from the very first reveal video of NMS that no "marketing firm" is pulling strings at Hello Games. And what you say here is just absurd. Now it's somehow a problem for devs to want to show their games at their best? Nope, sorry, there's nothing weird or shady about that.

The procedural generation prevents it from being wholly controlled. The first reveal only had four ships in it total (three in the air and the POV player) because only four people were at Hello Games at the time and able to help with capturing the video. Sean has talked about the huge number of retakes they did to get the shark in the beginning of the video, which was pre-programmed to appear at the beginning but whose behavior wasn't controllable, so they had to hope it didn't attack the player, which it did several times.

I guess they could be lying about those things, but I don't see any reason to think that unless you're severely paranoid. Not everyone in the gaming world is trying to put one over on you.

I'm kinda shocked at all the posts assuming you do absolutely nothing but fly around and explore in this game. And as someone just said, that by itself would actually be enough for me. But Hello Games has shown and explained repeatedly that there is other shit you do in the game. We know that you explore in order to get resources/money and upgrade your ship and gear so you can explore more and potentially kill bigger and badder stuff.

It's not just a flying simulator. It can be that. But it can also be a space trucker simulator, or a fighter pilot simulator, or a mercenary simulator, or whatever you make of it.

Because if the game is almost entirely procedural generated, it's very hard for them to control what's going on in it as much as you could for a linear AAA game. They can't control or 100% predict what the AI does for instance, and they especially can't directly control how the landscape plays out, just tweak the seed. They already said they had to fly around and actually discover planets that looked good for trailers.
Unless they are doing a live presentation being procedural generated is not relevant. They can do multiple runs until a scenario has the beat outcome.

Like taking a lot of pictures and picking the best for the magazine later.

boeso

Yes you can

It's just such a small possibility Murray doesn't talk about it much.

Even knowing what area of the Galaxy a friend is you stil have millions of planets separating the 2 of you.

Murray did mention that if you do indeed meet someone it would be a special moment as it would be the first time you actually see " yourself " and seeing what you actually look like could be a surprise

Interesting. Sounds like having a Journey companion but more impactful.

dalin80

Banned
I don't know. The things that makes worlds interesting is design. Not randomness

True, every beautiful landscape on earth was hand-carved by designers. The Alps for instance were filed down by a small indy team before they were purchased and summarily executed by EA.

True, every beautiful landscape on earth was hand-carved by designers. The Alps for instance were filed down by a small indy team before they were purchased and summarily executed by EA.
154.gif

I love NMS threads. Shit like ''the next Spore'' and ''what do you do in NMS?'' are killing my sides. Always a pleasure reading through them. Keep it up, GAF and never change.

RedSwirl

I don't play Minecraft, but how good are the "seeds" at creating interesting landscapes in that game?

Unless they are doing a live presentation being procedural generated is not relevant. They can do multiple runs until a scenario has the beat outcome.

Like taking a lot of pictures and picking the best for the magazine later.

That's exactly what they admitted they did for each trailer. Not exactly the same as creating a choreographed trailer based on a target render like a lot of AAA companies do.

The Hermit

I am really hyped and I hope it holds my attention for a long time. I love exploration gamed and played Endless Ocean 1 and 2 for over 100hours each, if this is any good I'll be lost especially if it has rift support.

I this think at worst it might become something like skyrim, when everything gets repetitive after 50hrs of gameplay.

RiverKwai

Well apparently the new unconfirmed internet rumor is that NMS is coming out in May, so maybe we won't have to wait too much longer to find out if it sucks or is awesome.

Top Bottom