• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky could end up being the "Spore" of this generation

Amir0x

Banned
What is with all these No Man's Sky and Order: 1886 concern threads? It's insanity. Repeating ad naseum and expecting different results: Continuous posting of the exact same shit using different words or analogies to describe something that has been answered literally thousands of times at this point. The only thing this is succeeding in doing is embittering people against each other and against the forum as a whole.

Never in my close to 30 years as a gamer have I seen such a constant prolonged stream concern posting. Before the thought has been to express your opinion or concern have them heard and possibly addressed and move on resulting in a reasonable contained and focused discussion. Recently, I have instead witnessed a sort of concern revival thread on one of these two games damn near every week that is then responded to with the exact same sort of information that has been put forward in any number of other concern threads and quickly followed up with a spiraling descent into more pointless vitriol on the part of people who are getting tired of hearing and saying the same things ad infinitum.

I respect that these games aren't for everyone but the people they are for are excited about them. Is it really necessary to start yet another new thread to remind everyone else how you are so worried about these games and how they don't really appeal to you or "look boring?" What exactly is the goal with these threads? What purpose do they serve? Are people really so arrogant as to believe that their opinions are irrefutably correct or are they just an attempt to deflate the excitement some gamers have about these titles? At first I thought it was the former but as time has gone on and I've seen more and more of these sort of threads I can't help but think it's the latter and it's becoming absolutely infuriating to witness and I really wish it would stop. If you have concerns about these games read the responses in one of the other twenty or so threads and post there.

Damn 30 years!

But seriously there is a remarkable amount of "concern" around this game, but everytime someone is pressed they say there isn't enough information to back up their claims of this huge universe or something like that. When I go on to list the inordinate amount of trailers and magazine/website coverage the game has with massive overviews of what it is all about, usually people then say the game isn't for them or that it's still boring. And like cool, but that's a whole unique sub genre and some people are perfectly fine with that.

If you don't like something as fundamental as the genre, then I don't know why the game keeps getting all this shade from them, but it is what it is. You can't really change how someone approves of a genre.

I haven't really seen any legitimate criticisms yet, but I do hope I read them sometime. Mostly it's just "i don't want to fly around exploring aimlessly", but since that's one of man hundreds of ways to approach your time in the game, I think the quality of one's time will be commensurate with the amount of effort one puts into their game.

I for one am quite excited to find out what the mystery is at the center of the Universe. Evil Robot Army, here I come!

SideNote: For an example of the above issue, check this post ->

Judging by the interest in this game I'm gonna take a wild guess and say it'll intially sell very well based on sheer curiosity by many gamers wanting to know what it's about. Sadly, I haven't seen anything that promises that this game will actually be fun, at least if you don't like games where you have to make your own goals, so I'm anticipating many a cat being killed by said curiosity.

Here's to hoping I'm wrong.

Like the game has actual goals and objectives you follow and scenarios designed by the devs, and the developers said to get to the center of the universe - which has a progressively more difficult curve the closer you get to the center - it takes about 40 hours uninhibited. So this poster believes the game cannot appeal to someone who does not enjoy games without goals; but the game has objectives/goals and will guide you toward them in game if you desire.

legacyzero

Banned
This fucking thread.

iOtqC6xutN97s.gif

How much information do you need about the game before you know what the hell it is??

Here: Educate yourself.

Amir0x

Banned
This fucking thread.

iOtqC6xutN97s.gif

How much information do you need about the game before you know what the hell it is??

Here: Educate yourself.

It seems we've switched to concern that what the game actually is is still too boring or won't be executed correctly so for some reason the game needs extra emphasized concern to help it along. I find it amusing, moar No Man's Sky attention topics. Keep it on the lips :D

legacyzero

Banned
It seems we've switched to concern that what the game actually is is still too boring or won't be executed correctly so for some reason the game needs extra emphasized concern to help it along. I find it amusing, moar No Man's Sky attention topics. Keep it on the lips :D

Yep. It's just irritating. But I really dont think it's anybody's fault in here. Gaming lately has done this to folks. Over promising / Under delivering, etc. But does that mean that everybody should default to cynical because of it? No. People saying stuff like "Sean Murray is the new Molyneux" needs to be fucking slapped.

It's just become a terrible meme around this game. While info was sparse after its announcement, there's next to no excuse to actually ask this question other than to troll or make a drive by joke post.

Come on. Most footage we've seen so far is slowly tilting the right analog stick to look at the pretty colors. The question is fair if anything.

I really see this as a game with a lot of promises yet won't deliver like Spore, Fable, Destiny, etc.

The concept is cool, but the execution is on a wait and see. Of course, we don't know if the game is going to be great or bad. Yet the hype, footage, and everything about it just reminds us of failed promises of yore.

I have faith that this game will deliver for me. I think my expectations are in check. What I have seen so far looks awesome. If all I do is what I saw in the first trailer for the course of the whole game I'm cool with that. (Even if only 10% of planets have life) It would have to control like an absolute nightmare to disappoint me at this point. All I want to do is explore and have the odd dogfight.

Same here. The game would have to be a gigantic mess filled with technical shortcomings and annoying bugs for it to be anywhere near a disappointment.

I really don't understand the "counter-hype" this game gets.

Amir0x

Banned
Yep. It's just irritating. But I really dont think it's anybody's fault in here. Gaming lately has done this to folks. Over promising / Under delivering, etc. But does that mean that everybody should default to cynical because of it? No. People saying stuff like "Sean Murray is the new Molyneux" needs to be fucking slapped.

I mean I don't mind it. Better than always going into circlejerk topics. But I do wish the complaints being made were being leveled against it for reasons that made more sense. Most of the time it's a matter of simply not liking the genre, not that the game isn't delivering on promises. Because so far based of what we've seen it's well on track to meet its stated goals. Whether the mechanics themselves will end up being enjoyable for people, who knows. That's a concern for every game that ever came to market.

Really.

The only people who are TRULY overhyping this game are people who aren't really educated about what the game is about, and are (most importantly) expecting things that the devs straight up haven't told us about. Like I saw people on gamefaqs talking about finding civilizations filled with AI and some other things. THAT'S putting on unrealistic expectations.

Most of us here who are really hyped are extremely excited about the aspects of the game that have been confirmed. Anything else that's in that we don't know about is icing on the cake at this point. If you know a decent amount about the game and think it sounds boring, then it's probably not a game for you. Most of these people coming in claiming that we are setting ourselves up for disappointment or that we're overhyping the game are literally doing so just because they can't understand that certain things that don't appeal to themselves may appeal more to other people.

I have a feeling it will indeed end up being like the "Spore" of this generation.
There's a crazy amount of hype around the product, and I'm afraid people will be disappointed.

I mean, I'm looking at this link and I still don't get what the game actually is:

http://www.gameinformer.com/p/nomanssky.aspx

Where's the bullet points?

You know, like super mario bros:

Jump on your enemies, get power ups, find 80 stars, rescue the princess, play in co-op!
Etc, etc.

Amir0x

Banned
Really.

The only people who are TRULY overhyping this game are people who aren't really educated about what the game is about, and are (most importantly) expecting things that the devs straight up haven't told us about. Like I saw people on gamefaqs talking about finding civilizations filled with AI and some other things. THAT'S putting on unrealistic expectations.

Most of us here who are really hyped are extremely excited about the aspects of the game that have been confirmed. Anything else that's in that we don't know about is icing on the cake at this point. If you know a decent amount about the game and think it sounds boring, then it's probably not a game for you. Most of these people coming in claiming that we are setting ourselves up for disappointment or that we're overhyping the game are literally doing so just because they can't understand that certain things that don't appeal to themselves may appeal more to other people.

yup, I pretty much agree. It's not going to be Star Citizen with 100 million dollar budget. It's going to still be potentially great if you love open ended games with insane scale and emphasis on exploration and a goal to solve a mystery at the center of the universe.

I know what the game is about, and because of that it's impossible to get overhyped. They're promised very achievable things. I mean other than the typical-for-any-game "will they execute the mechanics well" concern, the only up front concern I really have is the quality of their procedural generator. I want to see just how expansive their algorithm is, how convincing the evolution seems across the universe. Am I going to quickly notice how clone-ish things start looking after a while of play? Like they talk of some planets having only deserts and only oceans, so what unique life spawns on these types of planets? What type of secrets will be behind the next portal?

GHG

shut-up.gif

Pretty much sums up how I feel whenever I come into one of these threads.

So much bullshit. It's got to the point where I'm convinced that people are being intentionally obtuse and were never interested in the games premise in the 1st place.

It's like I'm witnessing the evolution of trolling before my eyes.

kyser73

I have a feeling it will indeed end up being like the "Spore" of this generation.
There's a crazy amount of hype around the product, and I'm afraid people will be disappointed.

I mean, I'm looking at this link and I still don't get what the game actually is:

Jump on your enemies, get power ups, find 80 stars, rescue the princess, play in co-op!
Etc, etc.

You're either trolling or have to be poked to remember to breathe.

Amir0x

Banned

Etc, etc.

COVER STORY:

Gamespot

coverstory2wjs56.jpg

Game Informer Cover Story

coverstory1eksk3.png

Edge Cover Story

And then at nearly every trade show since their unveiling of the game, we've had a new trailer.

TRADE SHOW TRAILERS:

VGX 2013 Trailer
VGX 2013 Interview with Sean Murray/Overview
E3 2014 Trailer
IGN's Gamescom 2014 No Man's Sky Trailers/Overview
VGA 2014 No Man's Sky Trailer

Pick some, read up, learn. Horizons expanded, now you just don't like the game for what it is instead of being in the dark altogether!

Why do people keep hiding behind this, " I'm afraid people will be disappointed " line?

Just come out and say you think YOU will be disappointed, it's ok. But then those same people will say they don't even know what the game is anyway. So what are you going to be disappointed about?

The real question is, what do YOU think No Mans Sky is?

The info is actually out there. It exists online and in print. If you genuinely don't like the sound of it. Cool. Move onto the next game of the dozens coming out. I could give 2 shits about Halo 5 so you won't see me in those threads talking about concern and shit despite having 0 intention to buy it anyway. So weird with Sony exclusives

LowSignal

I want this game to be mind blowing but I have a feeling that it's so hyped up it can NEVER beat or meet most of our expectations. Still day 1.

Amir0x

Banned
Why do people keep hiding behind this, " I'm afraid people will be disappointed " line?

Just come out and say you think YOU will be disappointed, it's ok. But then those same people will say they don't even know what the game is anyway. So what are you going to be disappointed about?

The info is actually out there. It exists online and in print. If you genuinely don't like the sound of it. Cool. Move onto the next game of the dozens coming out. I could give 2 shits about Halo 5 so you won't see me in those threads talking about concern and shit despite having 0 intention to buy it anyway. So weird with Sony exclusives

They gently take us in their paternal arms, rocking us back and forth, whispering gently "I love you son, I just am so concerned you might be disappointed. If you only followed the game as described in almost agonizing detail in about fifty billion articles, you'd never have got overhyped! This game offers a unique chance for this phenomenon to occur, because reasons. T_T"

GHG

This is the thing...

Once you get to the bottom of it you realise that the vast majority of people who are saying those things were never going to be interested in the game themselves because it simply isn't their type of game.

Now there's nothing wrong with that at all, but if that's the case then why invest so much time in posting the same thing (and even making new threads!) over and over ad nauseam?

I just don't get it.

Aces&Eights

The reason I am really excited for this game is because I think it's going to be like playing Skyrim but without the main story. I love open worlds and every time I play one I find much more enjoyment in exploring the world and messing around than I do playing the main plot.
Far Cry, Oblivion, Fallout, all great games because I spent hour and hours going here and there, taking my time, trying out new things and just being an overall menace. NMS appears to be a huge open world that wants me to just aimlessly go from one spot to another, slowly making my way towards the end game. I wouldn't want to just Tie-Fighter the whole time, or Minecraft all day long. I want to just experience the galaxy and as random encounters or fights come up I will choose to deal with them if I want.

There are quite a few videos and narratives that go over the crux of the game so for someone to say, "Yeah, but what do I do?!?" just tells me that they are the sort who need clear and decisive hand holding and/or objective placement in their games. I, quite, frankly, don't want to know what I am supposed to do. I want to just roam and experience and make the game my own.

EDIT: I had a close friend pass away a few years ago and one of my other buddies was going to say something at the funeral. He fretted for a week as to what he should say, how should he say it, what do other people say at eulogies and was writing up notes and stuff, throwing them out and getting really frustrated.. I told him forget all that planning. Shawn was a good man and a good friend and just go up and start speaking about his life without notes and without preplanning. He did and it was the best speech ever. Organic and real, no specific narrative just a man that spoke straight from the heart and was able to let out everything he needed to with no preamble. Sometimes is best to just show up and take control. We don't always need to know what exactly we are getting into. Sometimes you just suit up and show up and show the world how it's done.

The simple fact is people are ... not bothering to actually listen/read articles about this game.

I agree with you there. I don't think it's realistic to expect most consumers to do that, as sad as it may be, so the trailer needs to clearly sell the idea. Does anybody remember the trailers for Red Dead Redemption that basically explained what the game was all about? Some narration can go a long way and something like that might be effective, albeit less "artsy" than the music-only trailers I've seen for NMS.

RiverKwai

I agree with you there. I don't think it's realistic to expect most consumers to do that, as sad as it may be, so the trailer needs to clearly sell the idea. Does anybody remember the trailers for Red Dead Redemption that basically explained what the game was all about? Some narration can go a long way and something like that might be effective, albeit less "artsy" than the music-only trailers I've seen for NMS.

The RDR trailers don't show the hunting mechanics, or any trading or resource gathering. Basically looks like a horse riding sim. I'm afraid the game is going to be terribly shallow, and won't live up to all the lofty promises Rockstar made about the game.

While I'm sort of joking, the RDR launch trailer actually shows less actual gameplay than any NMS trailer. It's at least 1/2 cutscenes. And about 1/3 horse riding

I think your problem is that you expect narration. Why? There likely isn't any in No Man's Sky. It's pretty likely that there's no dialogue in the whole game.

GHG

There is no benefit in doing trailers like that for a game like this. It's a game based around exploration and discovery. There is the potential to spoil a lot of things for those who are genuinely interested in the game by doing that.

Did we get an "explanation" trailer for Journey or even Minecraft?

People need to learn to read.

Seventy70

I don't think this will be a game that the majority of people will enjoy. The few that do like it will really enjoy it though. I think the reason it's become so popular is because of the look of the game. People think they haven't seen what the game is yet, but they have.

Haunted

OP banned?

Damn, GAF don't mess around when it comes to ignorance. Take it as a lesson and educate yourself beforehand next time.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
OP banned?

Damn, GAF don't mess around when it comes to ignorance. Take it as a lesson and educate yourself beforehand next time.

Might not be because if this thread though.

Anyway I've not read much on NMS but the first trailer managed to captivate me. I know that I'll buy this game when I get a PS4 soon.

I don't think this will be a game that the majority of people will enjoy.

I hope it ends up like that, since that would mean that they have created something really different. :)

People need to let go of the idea that every game needs to appeal to everyone to be good.

NIGHT-

Nms is way too damn over hyped for what's shown. I honestly think most people will play it for a couple hours and never think about it again.

NIGHT-

Why do we get so many negative opinions about up and coming PS4 titles? Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this is becoming something of a phenomenon?

Exploring infinite space sounds pretty great to me, even IF that's all you do, which of course we know it isn't.

Which titles? if you're referring to "the Order", it's because it looks boring as hell

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Like the game has actual goals and objectives you follow and scenarios designed by the devs, and the developers said to get to the center of the universe - which has a progressively more difficult curve the closer you get to the center - it takes about 40 hours uninhibited. So this poster believes the game cannot appeal to someone who does not enjoy games without goals; but the game has objectives/goals and will guide you toward them in game if you desire.

It has one clear objective, getting to the center of the galaxy, and that might be enough for some. All the others seem optional, like gathering resources. They are of course going to be tied in, but the devs haven't really promised anything besides that. I just get the vibe it's going to have the feel of Minecraft where you decide for yourself what you want to do and what to make of the game. That said, Minecraft is wildly popular, but that's for other reasons than exploring and gathering resources. I'm just hoping it's going to be more to it than just going about getting upgrades for your ship.

It has one clear objective, getting to the center of the galaxy, and that might be enough for some. All the others seem optional, like gathering resources. They are of course going to be tied in, but the devs haven't really promised anything besides that. I just get the vibe it's going to have the feel of Minecraft where you decide for yourself what you want to do and what to make of the game. That said, Minecraft is wildly popular, but that's for other reasons than exploring and gathering resources. I'm just hoping it's going to be more to it than just going about getting upgrades for your ship.

i want some interaction with alien species throughout the exploration in space - i know for myself once i start seeing the same fishes/species in planets im going to get bored super fast.

I feel that way about Star Citizen, honestly. I don't think it'll come remotely close to meeting most folks' expectations. To me it has all the makings of a super hyped, overly ambitious mega-flop.

I already cooled way off this game. If it turns out great that wonderful if not then no wasted hype.

All it would take is one video from the devs saying "This is what you do in this game" and my hype would go back up.

Amir0x

Banned

The "one goal" is not just a goal by itself, because in order to meet that goal - consider it like the end boss of any other game - you have to actually go through a whole host of other scenarios and interactions to get there.

I don't think resource gathering is actually optional, for example, for in order to get around and even attempt to get to the center, you need materials for tools and money for everything from fuel to new ships. In order to get to the center, you can't "optionally" engage in resource gathering.

You will encounter various factions who have their own stories and alien conflicts with other factions, and you can join them and help or not.

You can decide what to do in No Man's Sky, like Minecraft, but the similarities end there. Because if you want to engage the game's story you can and there is a 40 hour quest there according to the dev. Minecraft is a creativity driven game, No Man's Sky is an exploration driven game. Minecraft is not really concerned with plot, No Man's Sky has one which is integral to the games central motivating force.

The only question is will they execute these elements in an interesting way? That's always up in the air.

Fahrenheit said:
All it would take is one video from the devs saying "This is what you do in this game" and my hype would go back up.

But all those videos are elements of what you do in the game. You mean you want them to show you some other things you also do in the game?

kyser73

I don't think its realistic to expect most consumers, but gamers posting on an enthusiast board? Maybe I expect too much, but generally I won't plow into a thread without at least doing some cursory research on the game in question.

I wish I could find a copy of the TV ad for the oroginal version of Elite for the BBC from back in the 1980s. It had a couple of clips of the game, and v/o which said something along the lines of 'Commander, are you ready to join...THE ELITE?'.

Still, that was back in the videogame equivalent of the Bronze age I guess :)

Warablo

I would really like it if we could terraform and plant plants and creatures on different worlds in No Man's Sky.. Add some building element to the game, and I think it could add longevity to the game.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
The "one goal" is not just a goal by itself, because in order to meet that goal - consider it like the end boss of any other game - you have to actually go through a whole host of other scenarios and interactions to get there.

I don't think resource gathering is actually optional, for example, for in order to get around and even attempt to get to the center, you need materials for tools and money for everything from fuel to new ships. In order to get to the center, you can't "optionally" engage in resource gathering.

You will encounter various factions who have their own stories and alien conflicts with other factions, and you can join them and help or not.

You can decide what to do in No Man's Sky, like Minecraft, but the similarities end there. Because if you want to engage the game's story you can and there is a 40 hour quest there according to the dev. Minecraft is a creativity driven game, No Man's Sky is an exploration driven game. Minecraft is not really concerned with plot, No Man's Sky has one which is integral to the games central motivating force.

Yes, I'm not trying to compare NMS to Minecraft on more than a superfiscial level, but the gist of it will probably be there. But if there is a plot there, as you say, then maybe it would be more interesting to more people. I'm skeptical though, as any person should be about a game like this. Doesn't mean I won't enjoy it in the end.

But all those videos are elements of what you do in the game. You mean you want them to show you some other things you also do in the game?

Unless I missed something all they shown was exploration, make your own fun kind of stuff. And for some that's enough but for me (and a lot of other people) that's not enough.

So far all I seen is fly around, discover a planet, look around planet, rinse and repeat.

Jonm1010

Banned
Why do we get so many negative opinions about up and coming PS4 titles? Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this is becoming something of a phenomenon?

Exploring infinite space sounds pretty great to me, even IF that's all you do, which of course we know it isn't.
I'm a ps4/pc owner and I'm fairly skeptical about this game. It's a game that seems to prize itself on "awe" moments and exploration that seems hampered by draw distance issues and load in that takes me out of the immersion. It's a game with gameplay promises that I'm skeptical I will find compelling.

I hope I'm wrong because if I am this could end up being a generation defining game, but im pretty skeptical right now.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That is not what I am saying. The longer someone plays it could keep bumping up the chance of the next planet that you encounter being a handcrafted planet until it is almost 100%

The handcrafted planets would be more like levels. Only a small part of it would be handcrafted and you would only see a small part of those particular planets.

That's not how the game works at all. It doesn't generate different things for different players as you move around, the universe is 100% set in stone (well, maybe not yet, but it will be at release) and identical for everyone. So if you go look at a certain tree on a certain hill on a certain planet and then leave, the next person who comes along (even if it's months later) will see exactly that tree on that hill on that planet. That's what's so cool, how the universe is practically infinite but still the same for everyone. That makes it mean something to discover a new planet, because it's actually there for everyone, you just got there first. What you're suggesting would break that, as you'd be given planets that don't actually exist in the same location for anyone else. Then the game would really be the pointless random thing people mistakenly complain about it being.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I'm a ps4/pc owner and I'm fairly skeptical about this game. It's a game that seems to prize itself on "awe" moments and exploration that seems hampered by draw distance issues and load in that takes me out of the immersion. It's a game with gameplay promises that I'm skeptical I will find compelling.

I hope I'm wrong because if I am this could end up being a generation defining game, but im pretty skeptical right now.

It's not draw distance issues, it's calculating on the fly. Everything that fades in did not exist until you approached it.

Amir0x

Banned
Unless I missed something all they shown was exploration, make your own fun kind of stuff. And for some that's enough but for me (and a lot of other people) that's not enough.

So far all I seen is fly around, discover a planet, look around planet, rinse and repeat.

Read this for an extensive, bulletpointed overview of what we know is in the game.

And this is what they have shown in trailers to date on top of the extensive exploration, the day to day amazement of enter and leaving atmospheres, etc...

Find resources:

screenshot2014-12-07ajdz0i.png

Trading:

screenshot2014-12-07ausaqc.png

Dogfights:

screenshot2014-12-07a64zly.png

screenshot2014-12-07abnzfs.png

Land combat:

screenshot2014-12-07aefy4f.png

Discovering and sharing:

screenshot2014-12-07afpy4h.png

Planet portals: