• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky could end up being the "Spore" of this generation

Amir0x

Banned
Exactly. I like all types of games. I love games with puzzles and figuring things out (Zelda or even Space Quest for example)

1. The thought of going to different planets and exploring them,
2. figuring out things,
3. making actual discoveries
4. dealing with alien life, etc sounds awesome.
5. Games like this would need a team to specifically set up scenarios or puzzles. This game doesn;'t have that.

Flying to random planets and looking at plants while figuring out nothing does not sound awesome to me personally. That is what I see this game as.

You can do that in No Man's Sky, or you can go about a completely different way.

1. This applies to NMS exactly. Go anywhere you want, any time. Insanely huge distances mean you'll never see all the game has to offer even if you spend every second of the rest of 500 million years trying to do it.
2. You absolutely figure things out. There's a mystery in the game, what is going on at the center of the universe? The closer to the center you get, the harder it becomes... more dangerous alien life, dangerous evolutions, dangerous robots and more space battles/danger. There are things to discover that will be set up specifically by the developer that you will need to find to expand your knowledge of what is going on in the game.
3. You make actual discoveries likely every few minutes in the game. What is an "actual discovery" vs. a, what, non-actual one?
4. You do this all the time in NMS. In fact there are multiple huge factions that are based on different alien life.
5. Games like that don't necessarily need puzzles, but there are scenarios set up by the developer in this game. Sure the game is designed so that the player ends up in a vast majority of the time emergent bits of gameplay/story that you have by simply interacting in this universe, but there are elements set up that you will need to do in order to solve the mystery in this title.

It's perfectly fine to imagine the developer will do all these things in non-interesting ways, that's cool. But the developer has said very specific things about the game and unless they're simply lying, most of the things you're clamoring for are covered by the way they designed the game.

You sure that's not hindsight bias?

Pretty sure it is hindsight bias.

If it looked bad from the beginning nobody would be disappointed about it. What makes NMS worse imo is the fact that they haven't actually shown much or gone into detail about a good deal of their mechanics. They and the players seem content at throwing out meaningless buzz generating statistics.

dalin80

Banned
How do people keep missing that GIANT gameplay explanation FAQ post thats been floating around GAF for months now

The same way that they keep missing the gameplay in the videos... Because they want to. They will continue to merrily ignore what doesn't suit their agenda and continue to post the same 'show us gameplay! It looks like spore! They can't deliver on all their promises!' BS until god knows when.

RedSwirl

Okay let me try to describe what the starting gameplay loop is probably going to be like based on what I've read in previews and my recent experience with other space sim games.

*) The previews say you start out on a planet with a ship right? I forget whether your ship is damaged or whatever, but in any case you start out at least in one solar system. That system will have a space station where you can buy stuff like gear, loot, and upgrades for your ship. You'll need to get a hyperdrive for your ship to travel to other star systems (and eventually reach the center of the universe). Hyperdrives are really expensive, so you need to earn money.

*) You can try to get money by mining resources on the planets, discovering new creatures, finding points of interest on each planet, or encountering other ships that might be engaged in battles. I think the previews also say you can engage with cops like GTA but with space ships. In any case, you will possibly need to thoroughly explore that star system to earn money.

*) After you do some of those things enough times to afford a hyperdrive, you're probably going to want to buy some goods (like food or precious metals) that are cheap in whatever star system you're in. This is pretty much how Elite games begin and it's the backbone of those games' economies. In Elite this depends on the economy of that system but I don't know how that's gonna work out in NMS. Then you'll warp to another star system. In other similar games hyperdrives have a limited range and I imagine they will in NMS too. Hopefully you'll warp to a system where those goods you just bought are more expensive, and you'll be able to sell them for profit.

*) Previews have confirmed that refueling your hyperdrive will be quite expensive, so you're gonna be in that new star system for a while and will have to likely do things there to earn money. Probably whatever you did in the last system to earn money. The next star system you're in might end up being more or less violent than where you just came from. You might have to shoot a motherfucker, in which case you might get resources from their downed ship. If you decide to keep buying and trading goods between star systems you're basically becoming a space trucker. The presence of cops in NMS means the stores might even have illegal goods (like drugs or rare animals) if it's anything like Elite. In that case it basically becomes a Han Solo game, which is precisely how Hello Games describes NMS.

*) Eventually you'll want to upgrade your ship further, or maybe get a whole new ship because Hello Games makes it seem like you'll start out with a shitty one. Maybe you want to be able to survive in more violent star systems. Maybe you need to explore a planet with toxic atmosphere. In any case, you'll want to keep earning money to afford those upgrades or new ships. In that sense it becomes a little bit like Animal Crossing.

*) And then you'll probably just rinse and repeat that, getting progressively better gear, getting into increasingly dangerous space battles, and hopefully exploring increasingly diverse planets.

This is a PC/PS4 game

I know, but this is a well-established genre on PC (that admittedly has been dead for years up until now). The only procedurally-generated space sim on a console I can think of is the Europe-only NES version of the first Elite.

Kazman

Neo Member
Spore had great breadth but little depth. I get the same feeling with NMS.

Listened to the recent interview on gameinformer with one of the devs.... Some of the answers sounded a lot like classic Peter Molynuex.

I really want this game to be good.. Please!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Why do people always bring up the space marine defense?

No one is saying they want Space Marines. They want a game with actual things to explore rather than a huge galaxy with tons of plants and rocks to look at.

I personally would want detailed worlds to explore that a designer set up (take Pikmin for example) with actual things to interact with. A small team can in no way accomplish this. Not knocking the team but there will be little actual substance to this game likely.

That would make it a completely different game. One small hand-crafted world can be a very nice thing, but that's not at all the experience they're trying to create here. It's all about the classic sci-fi dream of discovering and exploring strange new alien worlds that no one has ever seen before. Being the first person to ever set foot on a planet, discover a new species, etc. That's just not possible with what you want the game to be. If you don't get that, you simply don't get what they're trying to do here. Or if you do, but just don't want it, that's fine. There are other games for you. But stop complaining about this game not being something completely different. That's basically like complaining GTA isn't a linear corridor shooter. Those exist too, go play them instead.

NMS looks like it has absolutely no substance to it. They keep telling us what it is, but not really showing us. Their trailers have pretty much been "oh look how cool, we can fly from planet to planet looking at stuff".

It feels like its going to suck. I'll gladly eat crow but so far I've seen nothing interesting about it except for nice visuals.

Skyzard

Banned
^ people say, oh you can read all about the mechanics...that doesn't help us to believe good ones exist if they can't show them. We don't need to see the final boss. Just a decent amount of gameplay...

Sure they're still a while away, maybe it's not done etc. But I'll need to see some before picking it up.

Lol, "fair enough"... just disregarding the MAIN DRAW of NMS as if it's some small bonus. The game will have space flight and combat, yes, but that's not the main focus like it is in Elite. NMS is all about exploring strange alien worlds on your own. These are two games that might seem similar on the surface but are trying to achieve very different things.

I guess that's true, it's just having a lot of stuff that is only just a little bit different gets old pretty fast. With a small team, how much worthwhile variety can there be, especially when they plan to generate thousands of planets.
Sure they can use equations...but will it be fun to explore like that...

If you stay or not all comes back to the main gameplay after you've had a look around and taken in the sights.

If this a game where you won't have your fill of looking around for a long time, then that'll be impressive. Not that it won't need fun things to do so as well. But I'd be impressed.

Percy

Banned
No Man's Sky already looks great in action though. I can't recall thinking that about Spore at any time pre or post release.

Only real way Hello games could fuck it up at this point is if they include so little in the way of goals or incentives in the game that it becomes a complete bore to play imo.

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah, it will not live up to the expectations that have been hoisted upon it. The mystery that surrounds it due to the lack of real footage could ultimately be it's undoing and that is just calling a spade a spade. They simply need to be more upfront and show more of the game.

As for myself, I have a pretty clear idea of what to expect and think I will enjoy it just for being able to kick back while I explore strange alien worlds to some truly amazing music. Whatever threats and survival that comes into play will just add that much more to it, bearing in mind that it is not some broken clusterfuck.

When it comes to No Man's Sky, I have no expectations. I certainly appreciate the ambition, but apart from being colorful, nothing I've seen has piqued my interest all that much. I think that's a healthy attitude, when it comes out I'll be able to appreciate the game for what it is, instead of being disappointed by it.

NMS looks like it has absolutely no substance to it. They keep telling us what it is, but not really showing us. Their trailers have pretty much been "oh look how cool, we can fly from planet to planet looking at stuff".

It feels like its going to suck. I'll gladly eat crow but so far I've seen nothing interesting about it except for nice visuals.

Oh please tell us what you say they keep telling us because they've been showing what they've been telling us.

Majestad

Banned
I would like to ask the people who are excited about the "exploring" part in NME. Did you play the original Mass Effect? How exciting where the uncharted planets to you? Because the idea of actually visiting a planet is cool, but 2 minutes walking on it trying to "explore" and it is boring as fuck. And those maps weren't even randomly generated.

Crom

And that's exactly what the devs want you to do. Figure out shit on your own, and maybe they'll do a bit of leading.

This isn't World of Themepark Warcraft. Do you think people start playing Minecraft, jump around for a bit and then give up?

I don;t think we are talking about the same things.

I mentioned puzzle solving. There will like be little or none in this game. It seems like you go from planet to planet and find resources (without figuring out how to get them or what you have to do to find them)

In Pikmin for example when you want to find a ship part you have to figure out how to get to. Then you have to do small puzzle solving sequences set up specifically by designers to get to the part or to open different paths to eventually reach the part. This game won't have that so collecting objects will be very uninteresting IMO.

Collect ore. Move on.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, NMS looks pretty boring to me. It's gorgeous as hell and the scale is amazing, but that doesn't count for much if there's nothing interesting to do. And so far, that seems to be the case. The game ain't out yet, though, so I'm still hopeful.

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah, it will not live up to the expectations that have been hoisted upon it. The mystery that surrounds it due to the lack of real footage could ultimately be it's undoing and that is just calling a spade a spade. They simply need to be more upfront and show more of the game.

As for myself, I have a pretty clear idea of what to expect and think I will enjoy it just for being able to kick back while I explore strange alien worlds to some truly amazing music. Whatever threats and survival that comes into play will just add that much more to it, bearing in mind that it is not some broken clusterfuck.

It's a game a year out. Every new trailer they release usually showcases a new gameplay element. We know so much about this game it's frankly a bit shocking considering the shit this team has been through (like the flood).

We know the entire flow of the game. They have been more upfront than the vast majority of developers with a game a year out.

Honestly, I am hoping i gets released this year. If by the off chance it is good, awesome.

If it is bad, it will be a great great time for me. I get to enjoy the shitstorm and crying about how they were tricked and overhyped. I get to enjoy watching people blame the developers even though it was their own fault (people not dev) for overhyping a game they hadn't actually seen or played.

And that's exactly what the devs want you to do. Figure out shit on your own, and maybe they'll do a bit of leading.

This isn't World of Themepark Warcraft. Do you think people start playing Minecraft, jump around for a bit and then give up?

Not being told what to do is not the problem at all. Minecraft lets players build and craft things, which gives players reasons to explore like useful resources and interesting places to build, as well as rare unique places like dungeons and strongholds to find. If you took away the building/crafting part of the game and made it so the reason to explore was just for the sake of it or to upgrade your equipment, the game wouldn't be as fun.

ironcreed

Banned
I would like to ask the people who are excited about the "exploring" part in NME. Did you play the original Mass Effect? How exciting where the uncharted planets to you? Because the idea of actually visiting a planet is cool, but 2 minutes walking on it trying to "explore" and it is boring as fuck. And those maps weren't even randomly generated.

Mass Effect had fixed, linear planets. No unexpected and strange alien life, threats and environments that are constantly different on an endless variety of worlds. I love Mass Effect, but the two are not even comparable in any way other than being sci fi.

Amir0x

Banned
Not being told what to do is not the problem at all. Minecraft lets players build and craft things, which gives players reasons to explore like useful resources and interesting places to build, as well as rare unique places like dungeons and strongholds to find. If you took away the building/crafting part of the game and made it so the reason to explore was just for the sake of it or to upgrade your equipment, the game wouldn't be as fun.

The appeal to No Man's Sky is not the same as Minecraft. If people want Minecraft, there is Minecraft. You might find the idea of infinite exploration (with aliens, unique evolutions, trading, alien ruins and technology) very boring. That's fine. But the concept itself is not inherently boring.

Exploration is also not "for the sake of it." The goal of the game is to try to figure out the mystery of what is going on in the center of the universe. It has an actual narrative, with in game goals, scenarios and different factions (of alien origin) that you encounter and can join. This is clearly not Minecraft, which was a creativity game. This is not a creativity game.

You can play the game aimlessly if that's what you want and you'll find an endless array of things to discover. But just because that sort of ability is in the game does not mean exploration in of itself is pointless.

I don;t think we are talking about the same things.

I mentioned puzzle solving. There will like be little or none in this game. It seems like you go from planet to planet and find resources (without figuring out how to get them or what you have to do to find them)

In Pikmin for example when you want to find a part you have to figure out how to get to it do small puzzle solving set up specifically by designers to get to it or to open different paths to eventually reach it. This game won't have that so collecting objects will be very uninteresting IMO.

Collect ore. Move on.

And how do you get those resources or ore? Are there any other methods?

They haven't even talked about that stuff, but they have answered those questions saying there's trading (we've seen a trading/refueling outpost), hunting (a quick shot of gunplay during Night under No Man's sky), piracy..? (space combat in the second trailer).

I hate it we need to be spoon fed all the info about the game before the game is even out.

You don't even know how to craft in Minecraft until you look at a stupid wiki.

hawk2025

Three things I've noticed:

1) These type of threads keep popping up
2) Every single NMS thread devolves into a discussion of how the game will not deliver, that people do not see the appeal, and other variants thereof
3) People keep claiming the game is overhyped

1, 2, and 3 cannot be true at the same time. We are far, far past the point where this game could be even close to "overhyped", by whatever definition you choose to impute in that word. I have absolutely nothing against people being critical of what they've seen so far. It's the combination of that with claims of "overhype" that are just fucking baffling.

RiverKwai

How many of the same thread do we need?

Can people just not look at the information available about a game, decide whether it seems interesting to them or not, and then if not - move on? This seems like a life-skill many people seem to lack.

Why is it that people spend so much of their energy throwing shade at games they are obviously not interested in?

RedSwirl

For the people saying you just fly around and look at stuff in NMS, you do know there is combat in the trailers right?

We know there will be massive Star Wars-esque space battles. You will encounter dangerous animals on land. If you want you can try to shoot down ships to strip them of resources. You'll probably have to defend against NPCs trying to do the same to you. One of the things they've drilled in the PR is that NMS is going to have dangerous places in it.

I actually did enjoy exploring planet surfaces in Mass Effect 1, and the surfaces in NMS already look more interesting and more varied than those.

I personally would want detailed worlds to explore that a designer set up (take Pikmin for example) with actual things to interact with. A small team can in no way accomplish this. Not knocking the team but there will be little actual substance to this game likely.

Let them try. Since they aren't asking for any crowdfunding, there's no reason for why we shouldn't just hope that they get this together. It's by no means a guarenteed success this game, but it's different and it's the kind of game we should be grateful that Sony get behind like they do.

The comparison with Spore is also really weird, since that game's problem was that they were trying to do to many different kinds of games in one (confirmed by devs in interviews), while the critique against this game is that it does to little?

Jac_Solar

NMS, according to what the devs have said and implied: You'll be able to buy various different spaceships, and fly around in space, and land on planets, encountering different, "randomly" generated models of animals, like the Spore animals. There will be some FPS gunplay, space fights. Planets, flora and fauna are "randomly" generated.

What's overpromising about that? It sounds like it could be a lot of fun for fans of exploration and open worlds, but I'm not sure they'll be able to incorporate any powerful incentives other than that. The desire to reach the center of the galaxy, or play the game, will most likely be entirely based on your desire to explore open worlds, fly around in space, upgrade your character.

I do think the procedurally generated algorithm patterns (Randomly generated based on variables.) will become apparent quite fast -- like, you'll start recognizing that the flora and fauna, animals, planets are just procedurally generated or randomly generated like a Minecraft world. But that doesn't necessarily mean that it'll be bad or any less enjoyable. If done right, it could be very exciting and fun.

Evochron Mercenary already did this to some extent awhile ago with 1 developer; flying around in space, seamlessly landing on various planets. I haven't played it in awhile, but I think the developer has incorporated land based mech exploration now, as well as mining for resources and such.

Crom

That would make it a completely different game. One small hand-crafted world can be a very nice thing, but that's not at all the experience they're trying to create here. It's all about the classic sci-fi dream of discovering and exploring strange new alien worlds that no one has ever seen before. Being the first person to ever set foot on a planet, discover a new species, etc. That's just not possible with what you want the game to be. If you don't get that, you simply don't get what they're trying to do here. Or if you do, but just don't want it, that's fine. There are other games for you. But stop complaining about this game not being something completely different. That's basically like complaining GTA isn't a linear corridor shooter. Those exist too, go play them instead.

But I would expect that some planets have some short set up specific scenarios or puzzle solving (but from what we have heard they don;t in this game) A bigger team could accomplish this but a small team can't. That is why I am saying that I don't think this game will be good. I don;t see how they can keep players interested with randomly generated plants and rocks.

Amir0x

Banned
I hate it we need to be spoon fed all the info about the game before the game is even out.

Let's say you were developing a game. You announce it on X date, and you know the goal is to release it exactly two years to that date. How would you go about unveiling information about the game?

ROUTE ONE:

Let's say you go the early route of announcing all the features and gameplay systems right up front. Now, two years of development comes and you have nothing new to engage excited consumers with throughout that time (so keeping the hype is all but impossible), there's a good chance a lot of the systems will have evolved or changed as they tend to do in game development (so people might say you've failed to deliver or that you've been deceptive) and on top of that the entire time people might still say your gameplay scenario is dumb and they don't like it (so why couldn't you have been patient to unveil the systems). There's a chance that simply showing videos of everything over and over in different parts of the game might be engaging enough to keep people hyped, but the downsides are quite high.

ROUTE TWO:

Ok you release a huge gameplay video every few weeks about the game instead. Then you get tons of people judging the product irrationally because the game is in pre-Alpha state, you're showing them stuff you can't be 100% sure will be there in the final game, and you risk showing so much that there is no mystery left in the game.

ROUTE THREE:

A few magazine/website articles every few months about the goals of the game, and a new gameplay trailer at most every trade show that comes up (which has been NMS so far). This way you keep players engaged, you don't overblow the mystery of what is within the game and you can wait to reveal gameplay systems until you're absolutely sure they will be in the final product and are in a state worth showing the world.

ROUTE FOUR:

???

What way would you do it?

ironcreed

Banned
It's a game a year out. Every new trailer they release usually showcases a new gameplay element. We know so much about this game it's frankly a bit shocking considering the shit this team has been through (like the flood).

We know the entire flow of the game. They have been more upfront than the vast majority of developers with a game a year out.

And I agree. I also have an idea of what the game will offer and think I will be happy with it. I just think that the sooner they can quell some of the skepticism and question marks with some healthy footage and demonstrations, the better the game will be served in the long run.

I mean, clearly many have no idea what to even expect and are critical of it. They just want to see more than flying around and brief glimpses of walking on alien worlds with amazing music playing. As awesome as all that looks, I kind of want to see more of the game being played as well. But all in good time, I suppose.

different developers, different game, different publishers, different everything.

if no man's sky fails, then it'd be a failure, not be "this game of this gen".

Lowenbrau

Neo Member
Hope this game doesn't fail. Or at least appeals to me personally. But as it is multiplayer I hope it's successful in general.

All this No Man's Sky doubt is getting real old.. There are lots of sources out there that point to the game having very clear goals and gameplay.
Don't know if it will turn out at great obviously, but it seems like 2014 - The Year of Disappointments has made lots of people unable to believe other games with any kind of lofty promise.

Crom

And how do you get those resources or ore? Are there any other methods?

They haven't even talked about that stuff, but they have answered those questions saying there's trading (we've seen a trading/refueling outpost), hunting (a quick shot of gunplay during Night under No Man's sky), piracy..? (space combat in the second trailer).

I think that is what people are asking to see. Some semblance of fun gameplay. When people ask for it they are chastised by some.

You yourself don't even know if gathering resources will be fun or if it will be boring (simply pressing the square button???)

No one wants spoilers and people want to discover things on their own but seeing how a basic mechanic works isn't "spoon feeding" anyone anything

RiverKwai

And I agree. I also have an idea of what the game will offer and think I will be happy with it. I just think that the sooner they can quell some of the skepticism and question marks with some healthy footage and demonstrations, the better the game will be served in the long run.

I think the basis of your premise is wrong. They can not quell the skepticism and question marks no matter what they do.

Amir0x

Banned

I mean, clearly many have no idea what to even expect and are critical of it. They just want to see more than flying around and brief glimpses of walking on alien worlds with amazing music playing. As awesome as all that looks, I kind of want to see more of the game being played as well. But all in good time, I suppose.

I think if they don't show/demo an uninhibited chunk of gameplay at E3 it'd start being worth complaining about (provided the game is not delayed which I bet there is a chance of). As it is now, this is the standard reveal calendar for most game.

I think the expectations game is fine (for this or any game), but it needs to be placed in the context of what is actually happening and the way most games in this industry are unveiled. Hello Games is doing quite good on this standard so far :p

Duxxy3

My interest in Spore was on the same level as my interest in NMS. Nonexistent. I also have just as little interest in Minecraft. There are hundreds of games released every single year that are meant for people like me. I'm OK with missing out on the few titles that I have no interest in.

hawk2025

I think that is what people are asking to see. Some semblance of fun gameplay. When people ask for it they are chastised by some.

You yourself don't even know if gathering resources will be fun or if it will be boring (simply pressing the square button???)

No one wants spoilers and people want to discover things on their own but seeing how a basic mechanic works isn't "spoon feeding" anyone anything

You yourself have said that the gameplay and design you are looking for has no hope of being delivered.

How, exactly, can you "ask to see" something that can't possibly exist?

Let's say you were developing a game. You announce it on X date, and you know the goal is to release it exactly two years to that date. How would you go about unveiling information about the game?

ROUTE ONE:

Let's say you go the early route of announcing all the features and gameplay systems right up front. Now, two years of development comes and you have nothing new to engage excited consumers with throughout that time (so keeping the hype is all but impossible), there's a good chance a lot of the systems will have evolved or changed as they tend to do in game development (so people might say you've failed to deliver or that you've been deceptive) and on top of that the entire time people might still say your gameplay scenario is dumb and they don't like it (so why couldn't you have been patient to unveil the systems). There's a chance that simply showing videos of everything over and over in different parts of the game might be engaging enough to keep people hyped, but the downsides are quite high.

ROUTE TWO:

Ok you release a huge gameplay video every few weeks about the game instead. Then you get tons of people judging the product irrationally because the game is in pre-Alpha state, you're showing them stuff you can't be 100% sure will be there in the final game, and you risk showing so much that there is no mystery left in the game.

ROUTE THREE:

A few magazine/website articles every few months about the goals of the game, and a new gameplay trailer at most every trade show that comes up (which has been NMS so far). This way you keep players engaged, you don't overblow the mystery of what is within the game and you can wait to reveal gameplay systems until you're absolutely sure they will be in the final product and are in a state worth showing the world.

ROUTE FOUR:

???

What way would you do it?

I do it the way Journey did it. Almost no info at all. It became GOTY regardless. Maybe that's Route Four.

To answer the question, it depends on budget. If you can afford to withhold information, which will cost some sales with the example of this thread, then go Route Three.

Route One is too dangerous for any game. I think Starbound is suffering because they announced too much at the beginning and will have crazy delays. Star Citizen is certainly in development hell because of their ambition. I would definitely not go that route.

Actually, Route Four could be announcing a game 4 weeks before release. A complete surprise. Fuck the press. Let the game sell itself. I actually would go this route.

Maybe figuring out stuff on your own is fun.

Ever thought of that?

ironcreed

Banned
I think the basis of your premise is wrong. They can not quell the skepticism and question marks no matter what they do.

But it can certainly help, which is my only point.

I am not at all skeptical of the game, but I am indeed skeptical of the mystery that still surrounds it. That creates unrealistic expectations due to over zealous imaginations. The fall of many a great game. Not to mention that it also creates a lot of doubt, such as threads like this.

Overhyped games release and when they prove to be made by mere mortals, expectations are crushed everywhere and then the initial doubters also have a louder voice. Then of course a huge backlash ensues, regardless of the games actual quality.

All I am saying is that just being more bold and out front with the footage will go a long way in showing people what they will be doing in this game and how it all plays out. The sooner they can do this, the more people will get a better feel for what to expect. That is a good thing.

Amir0x

Banned
I do it the way Journey did it. Almost no info at all. It became GOTY regardless. Maybe that's Route Four.

To answer the question, it depends on budget. If you can afford to withhold information, which will cost some sales with the example of this thread, then go Route Three.

Route One is too dangerous for any game. I think Starbound is suffering because they announced too much at the beginning and will have crazy delays. Star Citizen is certainly in development hell because of their ambition. I would definitely not go that route.

Actually, Route Four could be announcing a game 4 weeks before release. A complete surprise. Fuck the press. Let the game sell itself. I actually would go this route.

But then don't you think that the game won't have received enough attention to really sell well up front? That's a very risky strategy if you have an ambitious game that needs a decent return on the investment. Also, Journey had a beta that tons of people played and basically told anyone anything they needed to know sans the story of the game, so that's pretty hefty (interesting side fact: the beta really turned me off from the game, but then I played the final thing and it was one of my favs that year. I still don't know why that happened for me exactly, but I think I needed the full package with a stranger by my side to get what they were going for).

I'm not saying you're wrong at all, it's all just opinion. But I think this is something to consider.

ironcreed

Banned
I think if they don't show/demo an uninhibited chunk of gameplay at E3 it'd start being worth complaining about (provided the game is not delayed which I bet there is a chance of). As it is now, this is the standard reveal calendar for most game.

Fair play. There is still plenty of time and I am still just as excited as I was when I first saw it. I simply cannot wait to see a meaty demo with all of the mechanics in play. Which is all I think people are really asking for.

Slayven

I think some people are projecting a lot of crazy shit on this game. Hello Games, and the guy who demos the game aren't really promising the world and blowjobs.

bengraven

I'm worried about that as well.

Especially hearing the interviews.

"No, you can't do that."
"No, we're focusing on something else"
"No, you can't."
"No."
"Not at this time, maybe later down the road."
"You probably won't need to..."
"No, that's it, just that..."

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Possibly. I don't think it will sell much regardless. It's just not that sort of game. I've read a decent amount of info on it and I still to this day don't really know much about it. The game still doesn't come across as a game where you actually do anything worth devoting what little free time we have to.

I'm worried about that as well.

Especially hearing the interviews.

"No, you can't do that."
"No, we're focusing on something else"
"No, you can't."
"No."
"Not at this time, maybe later down the road."
"You probably won't need to..."
"No, that's it, just that..."

Your post would be much better if it had some context to go with those answers. What kinds of questions was the interviewer asking?

RiverKwai

I buy cars the same way people treat NMS:

I need videos of people putting gas into them to see how much fun that is. If putting gas into the car is boring, then the car sucks. If Road and Track says it's fun to drive, and explicitly explain features of the car, or if there's clips of people driving the car showing those features - they are overpromising and the car has a real good chance of actually being a Yugo.

:)

Love you GAF.

Top Bottom