• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky could end up being the "Spore" of this generation

I'm worried about that as well.

Especially hearing the interviews.

"No, you can't do that."
"No, we're focusing on something else"
"No, you can't."
"No."
"Not at this time, maybe later down the road."
"You probably won't need to..."
"No, that's it, just that..."

What did you hear in the interviews again?

" tales from my ass "
" something something I dunno "
" what did he say again? "
" wait what? "
" too lazy to rewind, so who cares "
" zzzzzzzzzzz "

I've watched every interview with Murray about NMS and No is not a word that comes up very often in regards to possibilities.

But then don't you think that the game won't have received enough attention to really sell well up front? That's a very risky strategy if you have an ambitious game that needs a decent return on the investment. Also, Journey had a beta that tons of people played and basically told anyone anything they needed to know sans the story of the game, so that's pretty hefty (interesting side fact: the beta really turned me off from the game, but then I played the final thing and it was one of my favs that year. I still don't know why that happened for me exactly, but I think I needed the full package with a stranger by my side to get what they were going for).

I'm not saying you're wrong at all, it's all just opinion. But I think this is something to consider.

Yeah I forgot about the beta. Journey certainly couldn't afford it.

But if you had full confidence that a game was going to be well received, and definitely did a bunch of secret focus testing, it could be interesting to see if it's worth the risk.

Hello Games are definitely not doing Route 4, and probably not even Route 3. I think the game is late 2015, and that they're going to release the info at the right time.

It's stupid for any marketing to have nothing to show for the longest time if they want to keep up with the mind share.

Dinjooh

What did you hear in the interviews again?

" tales from my ass "
" something something I dunno "
" what did he say again? "
" wait what? "
" too lazy to rewind, so who cares "
" zzzzzzzzzzz "

I've watched every interview with Murray about NMS and No is not a word that comes up very often in regards to possibilities.

He says no quite often in the 70 questions & answers video, but then again - it's fucking 70 questions, and a lot of them are quite out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0uYnwqlslU

Crom

Maybe figuring out stuff on your own is fun.

Ever thought of that?

To answer your question....No... I never thought of that. Thank you for enlightening me....wow

There is no reason for you to act condescending.

I love figuring out things in games for myself. I prefer puzzle and adventure games over all else.

Wanting to see a basic game play mechanic is not unreasonable high and mighty one.

I'll end it here because I can see how defensive you are for no reason (in other posts as well)

Raide

Potentially in terms of amazing hype for the best game in the world.....EVER. I loved the Spore hype because it sounded like the type of game I would play. Really not sure about No Mans. The developers are certainly building themselves and their project as the second coming of PolygonJesus.

RiverKwai

Wanting to see a basic game play mechanic is not unreasonable high and mighty one.

But why is it even reasonable? It's not a mining simulator. So what if mining is push square to mine ore? It's probably for the best that way, considering that you don't want to spend an unnecessary amount of time mining ore. If they made you do an ore-mining mini-puzzle or whatever every time you needed to fuel your ship, that would be horrible...

Why are people so hung up on how you push buttons in this game over how you push buttons in COD or Zelda?

Mononoke

Banned
He says no quite often in the 70 questions & answers video, but then again - it's fucking 70 questions, and a lot of them are quite out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0uYnwqlslU

I was kind of hoping for a mine craft level of gameplay. I mean not the same depth. But being able to build a shelter or do things on the planet. If you can't build things, then what do you do exactly on a planet? Sorry if this has been answered.

Raist

Banned
Games like this would need a team to specifically set up scenarios or puzzles. This game doesn;'t have that.

This has nothing to do with having a team or not. "Games like this" can't, by definition, have set up scenarios or puzzles.

Crom

But why is it even reasonable? It's not a mining simulator. So what if mining is push square to mine ore? It's probably for the best that way, considering that you don't want to spend a lot unnecessary amount of time mining ore. If they made you do an ore-mining mini-puzzle or whatever every time you needed to fuel your ship, that would be horrible...

Why are people so hung up on how you push buttons in this game over how you push buttons in COD or Zelda?

What I meant was

"Is finding supplies just randomly coming across them and then simply walking up to them and pressing square"

or

Will there be more to it like having to figure out how to get to the spot the ore is in by light puzzle solving or even navigating terrain?

I prefer the 2nd option by far so there is more substance to the game but I think that the 1st option is almost 100% likely. That is what I was saying.

I was kind of hoping for a mine craft level of gameplay. I mean not the same depth. But being able to build a shelter or do things on the planet. If you can't build things, then what do you do exactly on a planet? Sorry if this has been answered.

You look at it and leave or you find some resource and trade for something you need. Or you kill some stuff and then continue exploring.

I guess.

What I meant was

"Is finding supplies just randomly coming across them and then simply walking up to them and pressing square"

or

Will there be more to it like having to figure out how to get to the spot the ore is in by light puzzle solving or even navigating terrain?

I prefer the 2nd option by far so there is more substance to the game but I think that the 1st option is almost 100% likely. That is what I was saying.

And you have half a year to 11 months to find out which is true.

Expectations have to be kept in check simply because its such a small team.

I'm expecting an indie sized game in terms of content where it mostly showing off the procedurally generated planet, foliage and animals. Also like all trailers and advertising, best case showcase pieces are shown so I dont expect every planet to look amazing.

Crom

This has nothing to do with having a team or not. "Games like this" can't, by definition, have set up scenarios or puzzles.

They could if they had 1000's of randomly generated planets but having a fixed number (let's say 20) with small scenarios and specific ordeals that you have to go through.

For example: On one planet cannibals take you to their village and are going to eat you. You have to figure out how to escape. On another planet where ever you shine your flashlight plants grow.

They could still have cool unique scenarios along with the tons of randomly generated planets.

RedSwirl

I find it odd that Minecraft's construction gameplay is the main thing people expect from games that boast procedural generation.

They've already said you'll find points of interest (like crashed ships), discover species, mine materials, and possibly encounter enemies, all of which might earn you money.

RiverKwai

What I meant was

or

Please explain how navigating terrain and "randomly coming across ore" are different?
This game has procedural terrain. Some ore will likely be out in the open, some is in caves, some might be underwater. It's possible that some ore will pop up on your scanner as a nav beacon, or it's possible that it won't. I'd get "light puzzle solving" out of your head altogether. Why would you even expect puzzle solving?

Tellaerin

This thread is why I don't do hype anymore. I mean, what's the big deal? Seriously. Either the game's going to be good, or it's not. Pick it up when it's released, or hold off and check out some reviews if you're unsure. It seems like my kind of thing, so I'm looking forward to it. I'll be mildly disappointed if it doesn't meet my expectations, but all this OOOH MECHANICS SEEM SO THIN WHAT IF IT FLOPS TOO MUCH HYPE NEXT SPORE WAAAH~ stuff is a little ridiculous. Just way too much histrionics around this stuff now.

Crom

Please explain how navigating terrain and "randomly coming across ore" are different?
This game has procedural terrain. Some ore will likely be out in the open, some is in caves, some might be underwater. It's possible that some ore will pop up on your scanner as a nav beacon, or it's possible that it won't. I'd get "light puzzle solving" out of your head altogether. Why would you even expect puzzle solving?

Navigating terrain that a designer specifically set up is worlds different than navigating randomly generated terrain. Take Pikmin for example. You are collecting things but it is fun trying to reach the things that you are collect. If everything was randomly placed or out in the open it wouldn't be fun and wouldn't be a good game.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Considering the amount of skepticism I've seen, I think expectations are in check so far.

We'll eventually see the game mechanics and can make a better judgment then.

Jac_Solar

But why is it even reasonable? It's not a mining simulator. So what if mining is push square to mine ore? It's probably for the best that way, considering that you don't want to spend an unnecessary amount of time mining ore. If they made you do an ore-mining mini-puzzle or whatever every time you needed to fuel your ship, that would be horrible...

You usually push buttons for a reason beyond simply pushing a button: if you can mine, there's always, or should be, a good reason for that, like there's a trade system, and currency is valuable, because of upgrades, new items, stuff you can use the currency on to explore more of the content (New areas, or just new items.) etc., or a building system - building houses, things, for gameplay reasons, like defending, shelter, etc. and the necessary, corresponding systems and reasoning for those systems.

COD and Zelda are established and defined properties, and people are already familiar with the "buttons", but most importantly, the reasons for pushing the buttons, directly and indirectly.

RiverKwai

They could if they had 1000's of randomly generated planets but having a fixed number (let's say 20) with small scenarios and specific ordeals that you have to go through.

For example: On one planet cannibals take you to their village and are going to eat you. You have to figure out how to escape. On another planet where ever you shine your flashlight plants grow.

They could still have cool unique scenarios along with the tons of randomly generated planets.

You are really not understanding this game. You are talking in thousands.

RiverKwai

You usually push buttons for a reason beyond simply pushing a button: if you can mine, there's always, or should be, a good reason for that, like there's a trade system, and currency is valuable, because of upgrades, new items, stuff you can use the currency on to explore more of the content (New areas, or just new items.) etc., or a building system - building houses, things, for gameplay reasons, like defending, shelter, etc. and the necessary, corresponding systems and reasoning for those systems.

And we've already been specifically told that, and SEEN IT.

Crom

I understand that there are more. I was addressing what he posted. You could have millions of randomly generated planets (or infinite) and then 20 or so specific ones that you come across

RiverKwai

Navigating terrain that a designer specifically set up is worlds different than navigating randomly generated terrain. Take Pikmin for example. You are collecting things but it is fun trying to reach the things that you are collect. If everything was randomly placed or out in the open it wouldn't be fun and wouldn't be a good game.

You are not interested in NMS.

You're right.

nomansky7iupl.gif

Nestunt

it could, or it could be the most grandiose game we have already seen, or could also go from the range of "meh" to "ok"

hawk2025

What I meant was

or

Read this:

And realize that there's literally *no chance* that this game will please you. There is no point waiting for more information or gameplay, because there is, again, *no chance* that this game will please you.

MUnited83

For you.
Only if you have some weird and unrealistic expectactions. if you are actually following the game you know what to expect.

I think the game looks pretty cool, and am fairly excited to give it a go when it releases, but it's not like the game is constantly getting lip service from the games media. Aside from a few trailers at games conferences and some info dumps here and there, I don't see this game getting nearly the amount of exposure that Spore received back in the day. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that to qualify as "this generation's Spore," the game would need to be getting much more exposure than it is right now.

A different topic, perhaps, but I could see Evolve being somewhat that way. I keep hearing about how it's the best thing since sliced bread from the games media, but for some reason I expect it to bomb hard, and for nobody to notice its passing within weeks of its release (would love to be wrong about that).

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Every game with hype has a chance to be the next Spore, doesn't mean it will. Nobody knows.

I think a lot of peoples imaginations have run off the deep end with this game. Im expecting it to be exactly like how they show. Its basically a game about wandering, no real objective, just discovery and travel.

People that are thinking this is going to be some grand epic journey are going to be sorely disappointed I think.

OP I've been thinking the same thing. A very small indie team making a super ambitious game is worrisome enough, but even the description of what you actually do in the game is almost always a very philosophical, vague idea of gameplay.

But we as gamers get excited for ideas. Hyped.

RiverKwai

I understand that there are more. I was addressing what he posted. You could have millions of randomly generated planets (or infinite) and then 20 or so specific ones that you come across

So hand craft 20 planets, (a feat that no video game has ever actually bothered to try and attempt, regardless of manpower and budget) and then throw them in with the 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 procedural planets in No Man's Sky... Maybe one person might accidentally see one of them? Maybe?

Sliver

No Man's Sky looks like a typical Steam Greenlight exploration game, will reserve judgement until it's released however.

NMS could very well be Proteus-in-Space for all I know. I don't care. I love these so-called 'walking' simulators or whatever the hip kids are calling it these days. I can't wait!

I'm not even a stoner, either, although I do have the occasional acid flashback ;)

whoszed

You just don't the game man. Like dude, if you don't get it by now then the game probably isn't for you.

In all honesty, who knows. I'm not sure how well the game will hold up technically but at least they have a strong art style and a bunch of people will be into exploring the world even if it wouldn't have deep game mechanics.

Oh and it will also have cool music by 65dos.

Crom

So hand craft 20 planets, (a feat that no video game has ever actually bothered to try and attempt, regardless of manpower and budget) and then throw them in with the 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 procedural planets in No Man's Sky... Maybe one person might accidentally see one of them?

That is not what I am saying. The longer someone plays it could keep bumping up the chance of the next planet that you encounter being a handcrafted planet until it is almost 100%

The handcrafted planets would be more like levels. Only a small part of it would be handcrafted and you would only see a small part of those particular planets.

RiverKwai

That is not what I am saying. The longer someone plays could keep bumping up the chance of encountering a handcrafted planet until it is almost 100%

The handcrafted planets would be more like levels. Only a small part of it would be handcrafted and you would only see a small part of the particular planets.

Why are you mentally designing a game that doesn't exist, that nobody is making, that nobody has promised you, that is clearly not what NMS is - and then judging NMS for not being that game? That's my point.

You, in fact, are guaranteeing that you'll be disappointed.

Does the game you want sound cool? Yes. I'd play the hell out of it. But it's so obviously not NMS that I'm not even sure what you're doing in here.

It's looking like another "non-game" ala Little Big Planet. Interesting idea no "gameplay" to speak of.

How the hell is LBP a "non-game" with "no gameplay"?

There are levels, a story, points, unlockables, powerups, etc, etc.....If thats a "non game" then please explain what a "game" is.

The problem with procedural generation is that the content it generates more often than not becomes too samey even when you have experienced only a small fraction of the available possibilities.

It doesn't matter if you have 2^64 planets/creatures/etc if it gets boring after seeing the first couple of hundred.

I don't expect No Man's Sky to be any different.

Crom

Why are you mentally designing a game that doesn't exist, that nobody is making, that nobody has promised you, that is clearly not what NMS is - and then judging NMS for not being that game? That's my point.

You, in fact, are guaranteeing that you'll be disappointed.

Does the game you want sound cool? Yes. I'd play the hell out of it. But it's so obviously not NMS that I'm not even sure what you're doing in here.

What are you talking about? I was responding to someone that said you couldn't possible have specifically designed sections in the game.

I was just saying how you actually could. Then you started asking questions and I responded

I know that this game won't have hand crafted planets but it would be feasible with a big team. That is all

People who are unsure if playing a game without a clear objective should try Elite: Dangerous. Are you bored after an hour? Don't pick up No Man's Sky. Are you playing for hours and hours and "haven't done anything" but still find you had a blast? Get hyped for No Man's Sky. I'm in that second category.

Edit: Granted $60 is a lot to spend on something "just to try it" but... Try to find a friend that has it?

Raist

Banned

I've seen extremely similar arguments before...
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=142102159&postcount=376

[...] Lets say that you land your ship around some plants and the sun goes down. The plants then grow and entangle your ship. If you find a way to shine a light on them then they shrink and you can free your ship [...].

The point is, it's procedurally generated and we're talking millions of planets. That's the premise of the game. It automatically excludes such puzzles, and that wouldn't make a difference if Hello Games was 200 devs strong.

Crom

I've seen extremely similar arguments before...
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=142102159&postcount=376

The point is, it's procedurally generated and we're talking millions of planets. That's the premise of the game. It automatically excludes such puzzles, and that wouldn't make a difference if Hello Games was 200 devs strong.

But theoretically someone could combine the two and make a game with randomly generated planets mixed in with planets with small designed sections? Correct? Am I wrong on this for some reason?

Top Bottom