• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November 2021 US NPD

Bullet Club

Switch #1 in units and dollars.

sV2bQ7P.jpg

We have data for Switch btw.

Switch 1.13m
BF 550k.

Last edited:

Kabelly

did Grand Theft Auto actually flop? that's a shock
edit: forgot the physicals got delayed

Last edited:

Elios83

Xbox was second for unit sales. Both Xbox and PS combined just beat out the Switch
Where is the source for Xbox in second place for units?

Btw numbers are really low and terrible for both for a November.
We're talking about 500k-600k low for both.
And that's with Microsoft converting all their production to Series S to get more units out of their wafers allocation.
Shortages were way worse than expected.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
did Grand Theft Auto actually flop? that's a shock
edit: forgot the physicals got delayed

Price and word-of-mouth killed it. People I know who no longer play games were asking me what the fuck happened to the GTA remasters.

Kabelly

Price and word-of-mouth killed it. People I know who no longer play games were asking me what the fuck happened to the GTA remasters.
it's just a situation of people actually voting with their wallet I didn't think would happen with Grand Theft Auto. I was ready to buy it too but once they started being shady I held off.
I would have loved a remaster of the GTA trilogy.

I also had coworkers who I could over heard talking about how shit it was. it really was a big meme.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
it's just a situation of people actually voting with their wallet I didn't think would happen with Grand Theft Auto. I was ready to buy it too but once they started being shady I held off.
I would have loved a remaster of the GTA trilogy.

I also had coworkers who I could over heard talking about how shit it was. it really was a big meme.

I do still really hope Rockstar keep hammering the patches like they are, I'd love to pick this up on a deep discount next year.

if not, shit, I'll just replay the originals, they're a little annoying to get working well on PC but it's doable.

Deerock71

Supply is getting ridiculous at this point

And I knew that Series S black friday sales report was dubious.

I never thought the Series S would beat the Switch family, but I do wish we had an OLED sales breakdown. I thought this tweet was interesting:

"US NPD HW - Switch was the best-selling hardware platform in both units and dollars for both November 2021 as well as 2021 year-to-date."

Sounds like Switch overtook the $500 console in dollars.

Hardware shortage just continues to hammer home that this is gonna be a long ass generation. You might as well pay the scalp price because that shit is gonna be amortized over the next decade lol

reksveks

Where is the source for Xbox in second place for units?

Btw numbers are really low and terrible for both for a November.
We're talking about 500k-600k low for both.
And that's with Microsoft converting all their production to Series S to get more units out of their wafers allocation.
Shortages were way worse than expected.

Oh, yeah, both are bad. I do have question marks about Sony's targets but haven't done the maths yet.

M16

Supply is getting ridiculous at this point

And I knew that Series S black friday sales report was dubious.

How was it dubious. Black Friday is one day. This report is the whole month.

Btw if switch did 550k on BF, then xbox did better, which means ps5 must have been really low for November.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Stock, that’s it. If ps5 was readily in stock Switch wouldn’t be #1. But it is what it is. And imo will affect Sony’s generation. Good for switch, they have stock issues too but not nearly as bad as Sony.
Here's what I don't understand. This isn't purely directed at you but anyone who might know. Why is Nintendo able to produce more units while Sony and MS can't?

Deerock71

Stock, that’s it. If ps5 was readily in stock Switch wouldn’t be #1. But it is what it is. And imo will affect Sony’s generation. Good for switch, they have stock issues too but not nearly as bad as Sony.
This is the PS5's second Christmas. Every sale going to Nintendo or Microsoft will directly impact Sony's demand; they don't live in a vacuum, and the PS5's shot at world domination is diminishing.

Last edited:

leo-j

Here's what I don't understand. This isn't purely directed at you but anyone who might know. Why is Nintendo able to produce more units while Sony and MS can't?
Different parts inside the consoles? The switch isn’t made up of ps5 internals? Also why series S may be readily in stock and series x isn’t? Series S was a really good move for Microsoft. You can currently buy a switch OLED and series s right now for Xmas while the PlayStation as a platform is non existent in the market right now.

ethomaz

Banned
How was it dubious. Black Friday is one day. This report is the whole month.

Btw if switch did 550k on BF, then xbox did better, which means ps5 must have been really low for November.
Switch was the best selling console on Black Friday.

ethomaz

Banned
Nintendo don't produce chips... nVidia do.
Now the question is nVidia still selling old stock of Tegra X1 to Nintendo or they are producing new chips for Nintendo.
I know it called the X1 had a revision called Makino but how much nVidia produced of it and has in stock to sell to Nintendo?
In any case the size of the chip defines how much it can be produced per wafer and X1 is very small compared with PS5/Series SoC.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Nintendo don't produce chips... nVidia do.
Now the question is nVidia still selling old stock of Tegra X1 to Nintendo or they are producing new chips for Nintendo.
I know it called the X1 had a revision called Makino but how much nVidia produced of it and has in stock to sell to Nintendo?
We are into what 80 million switches sold? That certainly has to be a lot of new manufacturing. IDK. Seems strange to blame everything on supply constraints when one company is selling so much more than the others. I think people are underestimating Nintendo a bit.

Stuart360

We are into what 80 million switches sold? That certainly has to be a lot of new manufacturing. IDK. Seems strange to blame everything on supply constraints when one company is selling so much more than the others. I think people are underestimating Nintendo a bit.
I dont think anyone underesitimates Nintendo. Switch is a phenom, but XSX and PS5 ARE suply constrained, and thats simply fact.

Vagswarm

The Switch sold 1.13 million units according to Nintendo's statement:

According to the NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the U.S., the combined sales of Nintendo Switch, Nintendo Switch Lite and Nintendo Switch – OLED Model systems hit 1.13 million in the month of November, powering up Nintendo Switch as the best-selling video game console of that month. For the important holiday-shopping week of Thanksgiving, which includes Black Friday, Nintendo Switch was also the top-selling video game console, with nearly 550,000 systems sold. With November logged in the record books, Nintendo Switch has now been the top-selling video game console for 35 out of the last 36 months.

“With a wide-ranging library of games and three options to choose from between Nintendo Switch, Nintendo Switch Lite and Nintendo Switch – OLED Model, the Nintendo Switch family of systems offers something for everyone this holiday season,” said Nintendo of America President Doug Bowser. “As we head into 2022 and the sixth year of Nintendo Switch, the system continues to see strong demand. We look forward to even more people adding Nintendo Switch to their households!”

leo-j

You can buy a switch , you can’t buy a ps5. Therefore switch will sell more. That and the switch has incredibly high demand, they successfully re captured the 3ds Wii audience with switch.

Elios83

HW being impossible to find makes Xbox focusing on Gamepass subscriptions an even better strategy than what they had in mind.

You need to sell hardware to sell subscriptions.
Millions of potential consumers interested in buying hardware during the holiday season and not being able to do it because of shortages, means millions of people not having the chance to subscribe to anything.
The situation is just bad and is going to negatively affect targets for subscription services as well.
Microsoft has released two big games during the holiday season and it could have been a good period to move both hardware and GP sales. With these hardware numbers that is just a missed opportunity.
And there's not even a backup plan since old gen consoles are discontinued and the PC GPU stock situation is even worse than what's happening with next gen consoles.

Let's hope that this situation will get addressed better for next year buying more components in advance and trying to get better contracts.
Sony is investing with TSMC in a new fab but it's a longer term thing.

Last edited:

Chiggs

You need to sell hardware to sell subscriptions.
Millions of potential consumers interested in buying hardware during the holiday season and not being able to do it because of shortages, means millions of people not having the chance to subscribe to anything.
The situation is just bad and is going to negatively affect targets for subscription services as well.
Microsoft has released two big games during the holiday season and it could have been a good period to move both hardware and GP sales. With these hardware numbers that is just a missed opportunity.
And there's not even a backup plan since old gen consoles are discontinued and the PC GPU stock situation is even worse than what's happening with next gen consoles.

Let's hope that this situation will get addressed better for next year buying more components in advance and trying to get better contracts.
Sony is investing with TSMC in a new fab but it's a longer term thing.

For what it’s worth, the Series S is not that supply constrained. It’s generally in stock and seems to be moving units decently.

Top Bottom