• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD - FFXV experienced the best console launch month in franchise history

kswiston

he's talking about steam only

Whoops. Reading fail.

Edit: Looking back at an old neogaf thread from the launch of Steamspy, Final Fantasy XIII was at 300k on Steam as of the beginning of April 2015. So higher than FFIX during the same period.

This is the best worst game I've ever played.

I couldn't agree more. There's just so many issues with this game, including a poorly-presented plot, serious pacing issues, a frustrating camera, and a general lack of things to do in the open world.

And yet I keep playing the game and enjoying it. I really want to see what they can do in a title that doesn't suffer through development hell. The shift to an ARPG doesn't bother me in the slightest; nowadays traditional JRPGs work best on handhelds.

Nameless

Unless XVI has 10 years of story rewritings, you are safe.

Assuming Tabata's team will get a crack at XVI, I'm wondering if it would be easier for them to go with something like UE4 or stick with Luminous given their familiarity with it. Luminous Engine catches a lot of flack, but the visuals are XV's strongest trait and I'd love to see something a bit more whimsical/fantastic using that tech.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Was there something wrong with chapter 13? Did that get fixed? I stopped playing because I was coming up on it and heard it was screwy.

Go_Ly_Dow

Some serious crow has been eaten with regards to the health of the franchise. FF is good for another entry.

VIIR will also be fine.

Glad to hear it's doing as good as it should. After beating it last night, it's nice to see the entirety of the game undoes the damage FFXII did to the franchise, even Ch. 13

I'm looking forward to FFXVI as long as they keep Ito the HELL away from it.

notaskwid

Glad to hear it's doing as good as it should. After beating it last night, it's nice to see the entirety of the game undoes the damage FFXII did to the franchise, even Ch. 13

I'm looking forward to FFXVI as long as they keep Ito the HELL away from it.
raw

Assuming Tabata's team will get a crack at XVI, I'm wondering if it would be easier for them to go with something like UE4 or stick with Luminous given their familiarity with it. Luminous Engine catches a lot of flack, but the visuals are XV's strongest trait and I'd love to see something a bit more whimsical/fantastic using that tech.

Tabata's team is using Luminous again but are apparently making a new IP when they finish the FFXV updates/DLC.

Was there something wrong with chapter 13? Did that get fixed? I stopped playing because I was coming up on it and heard it was screwy.

It drags on a bit but there's nothing broken, the amount of attention is got was due to extreme hyperbole.

Hero

Final Fantasy was never really a dead franchise though. People just don't care for sequels or spinoffs much and despite its reputation here XIII still sold a lot.

It was dead for last generation if you didn't care for Lightning..

VillageBC

Not being a fan of the general direction of ffxv, I don't think I like this news. But I definitely want SE to keep creating ff games and focus on consoles so there's that.

BadWolf

Tabata's team is using Luminous again but are apparently making a new IP when they finish the FFXV updates/DLC.

Whoa, new IP?

Can't wait to see what they come up with, they have definitely earned the right to do so.

Though unfortunately that means they won't be working on FFXVI.

Not being a fan of the general direction of ffxv, I don't think I like this news. But I definitely want SE to keep relating ff games and focus on consoles so there's that.

Look at the last 5 mainline games, the direction of Final Fantasy is based on whos directing and the team he/she has at their disposal.

Whoa, new IP?

Can't wait to see what they come up with, they have definitely earned the right to do so.

Though unfortunately that means they won't be working on FFXVI.

Ideally we would have Tabata's game, FFVII remake, KH3, and XVI all in development. Not sure if SE has enough developers for that though.

It drags on a bit but there's nothing broken, the amount of attention is got was due to extreme hyperbole.

I disagree. I went into it after hearing all the noise and thinking it wouldn't be as bad as people say. It was worse than I could have imagined and almost put me off finishing the game entirely.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

It's pretty terrible. I soldiered through it though.

Some tips that some people might not have realized. Read this when you start the chapter since there is a mild spoiler.

Ignore the hiding mechanic that comes up. You can take care of the of the Magitek Troopers using Holy by holding in defend (do it before they attack since this passively sucks mp when defending) it will eventually kill them. Eventually you'll get the ability to suck them into a void.

The chapter is just VERY long for no reason.

Rymuth

Kotaku has an article named 'The 10 stages of grief for FFXV's Chapter 13'

Do yourself a favor and wait for Tabata's team to patch the fix for that chapter...or just keep playing the game but don't advance the storyline, mess about with the open world.

Teletraan1

Banned
Well there goes hope that the sales would be tepid and cause them to pivot back to the formula for the previous games. Boring "action" combat for the rest of the series and remakes. At least it looks cool and is flashy. That is all that matters.

kswiston

I bought FFXV during a late Dec sale, but havent had a chance to start yet. When is the Ch13 patch supposed to release?

Burbeting

Banned
The game was good, but definitely flawed. The development cycle and the odds the director was put against must have been noteworthy, so I'm glad that the game is selling rather well.

I do hope that they do what they always do with FF, and come up with something different once again for FF16. Just having 15v2 would be boring.

Well there goes hope that the sales would be tepid and cause them to pivot back to the formula for the previous games. Boring "action" combat for the rest of the series and remakes. At least it looks cool and is flashy. That is all that matters.

Yup. Just look at the last 15 years of the franchise, the next mainline game just copies the previous one!

Sigh because the materia system was in Viii right? The draw system carried over to 9 right? The medieval style setting carried over to 10 right? 11 was ATB system cool? 12 sure was a good online only Game,13 sure felt samey with its shift phases and mechanical summons,14 was such a linear driven game.

Stop. The success of the previous FF never dictated the next

BadWolf

Yup. Just look at the last 15 years of the franchise, the next mainline game just copies the previous one!

Seriously, they try a new direction with pretty much every new mainline entry.

Bad sales would just result in a lower budget next time around or nothing at all, so wishing them failure really makes no sense in FF's case.

Final Fantasy always changing yet remaining familiar is one of the reasons I still fuck with the series, and I imagine that holds true for a lot of other people, too.

Zedark

Teletraan1
fuck those devs
cuz I'm down for my devs
(Today, 03:54 PM)

kswiston

Not sure if bait

I assume he meant FF13, but who knows.

Seriously, they try a new direction with pretty much every new mainline entry.

I would bet money (or my avatar that has remained unchanged for over a decade) that the next numbered mainline game is open world if it is on home consoles. Probably with an action slant to combat again (just a different take on said combat).

Sigh because the materia system was in Viii right? The draw system carried over to 9 right? The medieval style setting carried over to 10 right? 11 was ATB system cool? 12 sure was a good online only Game,13 sure felt samey with its shift phases and mechanical summons,14 was such a linear driven game.

Stop. The success of the previous FF never dictated the next

While I agree here and yes it's obvious, wasn't one of the big criticisms of FF that square was wasting time and money by throwing out everything from previous games whether those things worked or not?

Wasn't one of the reasons FFX-2, FFXIII-2 and FFXIII-3 happened was because square doesn't have the ability to crank out completely new AAA games back to back, and reusing engines, assets, and systems was necessary?

I would be VERY surprised if the next game, whether that's FFXV-2 or FFXVI didn't share a bunch of similarities with FFXV.

Interfectum

I assume he meant FF13, but who knows.

I would bet money (or my avatar that has remained unchanged for over a decade) that the next number mainline game is open world if it is on home consoles. Probably with an action slant to combat again (just a different take on said combat).

It's going to be open world for sure. Regardless of what GAF thinks that's what gamers want, as seen with how well this one has sold. FF16 going linear would definitely be seen as a step back.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
nobody can spin this as bad news

"Since there are more people buying this game, the percentage of disappointment will be higher than the previous game. That means less people will buy FFXVI and it's gonna fail."

kromeo

nobody can spin this as bad news

It's never bad news to see a single player game sell well but it probably ends my chances of seeing a linear story driven mainline FF again anytime soon.. Not that they would likely have done that even if the game had bombed

notaskwid

No? The general move to action combat, each game removing more party control, pushing more and more open world, moving to hold A to win combat hasn't been a trend since ffxii?
Final fantasy from 1 to 9 all had the same Town - Overworld - Dungeon scheme, 4 to 9 all used the same atb combat with little changes, and you tell me that since XII in particular there have become more similar when every single game (XII, (XIII and XII-2), LR, RR and XV) have a completely different battle system and game progression?

Top Bottom