• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD - FFXV experienced the best console launch month in franchise history

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Lol o Inu how naive

"Since there are more people buying this game, the percentage of disappointment will be higher than the previous game. That means less people will buy FFXVI and it's gonna fail."

It's never bad news to see a single player game sell well but it probably ends my chances of seeing a linear story driven mainline FF again anytime soon.. Not that they would likely have done that even if the game had bombed

WELP

I don't even get the hysteria. SE has multiple teams working on multiple projects at once. None of them have to share any similarities for any reason.

FF7R will only share some DNA with FF15 because some of the original ideas for FF15 come from the same minds. In any other case such a thing would be an anomaly

Mediking

WELP

I don't even get the hysteria. SE has multiple teams working on multiple projects at once. None of them have to share any similarities for any reason.

FF7R will only share some DNA with FF15 because some of the original ideas for FF15 come from the same minds. In any other case such a thing would be an anomaly

One thing that the big SE projects have is common is that I don't realistically expect FF7R or KH3 until 2019. FFXVI definitely isnt coming anytime soon.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
If we're already talking about the future of the series I for once hope they STOP inventing the wheel again before perfectioning the formula. They have a solid ground to build up a better entry with FFXV in the future. They have to restart from there this time and not from 0 again. If this means also keeping Business Div.2 and Tabata on it then do it.

Pacotez

Who would have thought FF is still so relevant today? not only relevant but more relevant than it ever has been, no one expected such a success.

Where have you been the past decades?
FF has never lost relevancy. We had three FFXIII! And FFXIV was well received
I really can't think of many franchises with more relevancy actually

FFXVI is happening, right?

FFXV-2 and FFXV-3 Lightning Returns Again

If we're already talking about the future of the series I for once hope they STOP inventing the wheel again before perfectioning the formula. They have a solid ground to build up a better entry with FFXV in the future. They have to restart from there this time and not from 0 again. If this means also keeping Business Div.2 and Tabata on it then do it.
Unpopular opinion but I agree here. Kinda why I want a ffxv-2 even tho it makes no story sense

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It absolutely does not. It gets marginally more open than the rest of the game, but definitely not what I would call open world.

I'd say the latter part is as open as the Calm Lands but then again you don't do as much. FFXIII was just literally killing monsters and viewing cutscenes, nothing else whatsoever.

Velkyn

The finely salted crow in this thread is really something.

On topic: Well deserved. You can tell they were banking on it doing well, and it did. Crisis averted.

Which is bad. It tells SE the game is good when actually is super flawed.

I keep repeating that. If not for the mystical Final Fantasy title, the game would not have sold 1/3 of the total.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Unpopular opinion but I agree here. Kinda why I want a ffxv-2 even tho it makes no story sense

I don't know how much unpopular is considering FFI-3 all look like evolution
same for FF4-6
and FF7-9
it's only recently they changed their way of developing these titles and has been a terrible roller coaster from then on, with even expanded dev time and wasted resources and mixed ending receptions.
It's time to go back to what Kitase and Sakaguchi were doing before: evolution and not revolution.

kurahador

I hope they improve their open world formula, and change the combat system.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I never mentioned X, which was the last old styles game. And yes, fxiii became that 40hrs in.

You said pushing more and more open world. I went back to disprove your point.

X Not open world -> XI Open World MMO (It's a fucking mmo) -> XII Open World -> XIII not open world -> FFXIV Open Word (It's a fucking mmo) -> FFXV Open World.

Even then a lot of these games except for FFXV weren't even seamless open worlds.

Also because of technology open world is going to be there more often and be the standard for a lot of rpg games now. I'd personally still liked World Maps to be utilized.

Trojita

I keep repeating that. If not for the mystical Final Fantasy title, the game would not have sold 1/3 of the total.

Every popular game franchise ever. A lot of the Call of Duty games are absolute shit (MW3, Ghosts), but sell because of the name.

Squenix was also dealing with the lack of enthusiasm caused by FFXIII.

I can't believe I actually care about sales of FF, but I really enjoyed FFXV even with that nonsensical story. I can't wait to play their next game.

At least we have progressed to COD status of "People blindly buy it because of the name!".

6 months ago it was "lol. Final Fantasy isn't relevant in 2016"

Yup, the narrative in December was that the final fantasy brand is puny, we had 3 or 4 threads about its japanese sales. Now its only selling because of STRONG BRAND!

Trojita

This also happened with Square-Enix seemingly trying to sabotage their own product at every public event.

This year the Xbox Conference Titan Demo and Clueless gamer segment happened.

kswiston

Yup, the narrative in December was that the final fantasy brand is puny, we had 3 or 4 threads about its japanese sales. Now its only selling because of STRONG BRAND!

The Japanese sales threads were justified. Its relevance there is much diminished.

However, the west is chugging along at near series highs. Asia is also way up outside of Japan.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

How do you know Tabata's team don't know that? Obviously if they didn't know, they would not be trying to fix what they could.

Be happy with DLC. It doesnt need a forced sequel

I'm not a huge fan of open world games, but I think FFXV handles it pretty well. The quests and hunts encourage exploration and their level recommendations work as a nice guide on knowing when I should go back to do a story mission. Most of all, it's easy to get around to the different locations.

Things I'd like to see if they go open world again:
-More variety in sidequests. Like, there's no reason I should be catching frogs or finding dog tags more than twice.
-More varied landscape. They should find a reason to make the game's area more varied in weather and landscape. Maybe different islands with unique climate conditions? I dunno, at least FFXV was more than just confusing city streets.

The game has other problems, but I don't think the open world is one of them, really.

Zedark

They can show Ardyn's story! I would actually really enjoy playing through that.

Hmm, the idea is absolutely brilliant, but I personally want them to move on to the next entry, to start a new story afresh that won't be bogged down story-wise by having a trilogy as its origin. Perhaps they can make an expansion to the game to tell the story? Although, we know that selling DLC beyond the scope of the season pass tends to get people quite riled up, so maybe that's not a good idea...

Exodust

Banned
Lightning's reign of terror is finally over
rejoice.png

Trojita

While I want studios like Square-Enix and Atlus to continue in their JRPG ways, emphasis on the Japanese, I hope this makes them less likely to make decisions based on market testing on demographics in Japan. Hopefully we never get another Vaan again.

And I also just realized that Prompto was technically how Vaan was originally designed. A young guy party member that gets involved in an adventure that is completely out of his element.

Someone is going to say that Noctis and Co were drafted up because of demographics, not because Nomura likes that shit.

I see it selling 3M max

After the platinum demo, you can mark this as a failure sales wise now.

They're kinda fucked. FF has been on a decline since FF9 was released.

Good luck with that.
They're starting with a brand damaged since FFXIII trilogy and it's only on PS4 and One at launch. Not that a PC SKU would've changed that much but they easily lost 500k to 1m sales for not having it.

It'll struggle to do half of that. Lord J, Square!

Do they realize that the consumer base/appetite for their series isn't anywhere near large enough to justify that?

This game has dragged on so long and the cultural confusion will really hamper this game.

after the demo not a chance they will make it.... this was truly a big mistake to release that because all the trailer look phenomenal.

Maybe a decade ago but no so much anymore.

And people really need to stop using forums and internet reactions to speculate how much a title would sold because if that was a good indicator then almost every single Ubisoft game would be bombing.

I will laugh and cry so hard if the game somehow bombed and sold for like only 2 or 3 millions, less than half targeted number.

Will need another realm reborn.

Just going through the first 4 pages of 10 million sales goal thread and people had considered the series losing all relevancy and on a decline.

Yet here we are today and the series was somehow always popular as ever, lol.

kswiston

Just going through the first 4 pages of 10 million sales goal thread and people had considered the series losing all relevancy and on a decline.

Yet here we are today and the series was somehow always popular as ever, lol.

I blame the opaqueness of NPD and other western trackers compared to the relative transparency of Media Create/Famitsu for some of this.

Look at that Decline since FF9 comment for anecdotal proof. 10 was higher than 9 and 13 was higher than 12 (which was higher than 9) worldwide.

Japan has been a straight decline since FFX, but western sales often compensate.

In the US, yeah. What about the rest of the world?

In Germany FFXV is selling faster than FFXIII
In UK it about the same and from what we know it selling good china .
This also not counting DD sales .

Either way it is tracking faster than FFXIII at the same period .

The other thing for ff15 is that word of mouth for the most part has been far more positive then wom was for ff13. Yes 15 has some VERY vocal detractors who are planning to write off all of FF because of it but the majority are positive on the game.

Kyoufu

In Germany FFXV is selling faster than FFXIII
In UK it about the same and from what we know it selling good china .
This also not counting DD sales .

Either way it is tracking faster than FFXIII at the same period .

Nice. I figured 6 years of Lightning would have soured and turned fans away from the series and Japan was one indication but the west seems to be making up for it.

Top Bottom