• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD - FFXV experienced the best console launch month in franchise history

Toth

Nice. I figured 6 years of Lightning would have soured and turned fans away from the series and Japan was one indication but the west seems to be making up for it.

People always forget FFXIV 2.0 exists and all the good will and success that it has generated, huh?

Just going through the first 4 pages of 10 million sales goal thread and people had considered the series losing all relevancy and on a decline.

Yet here we are today and the series was somehow always popular as ever, lol.

In all fairness, that was me assuming there would be a slight decline from FFXIII (because of Japan). I don't think anyone expected it to do as well as it's done. I thought it was a brilliant game, despite the flaws and was never against it doing well, I just didn't believe it possible to do such ridiculous numbers.

pezzie

The Japanese sales threads were justified. Its relevance there is much diminished.

I mean, I understand that it's dropped in larger percentages than most series, but isn't it still currently basically the best selling PS4 game in Japan?

I get that the brand is weaker than it's ever been there, but at some point where people keep pointing this out, you gotta go "yo this thing is still king shit on this system".

Kikujiro

People always forget FFXIV 2.0 exists and all the good will and success that it has generated, huh?

Good will doesn't mean much in the casual market. FFXIV is doing great thanks to the subscription model, but raw numbers aren't that big.

I think with FFXV S-E nailed it in the marketing department and managed to attract a lot of new young players, which is extremely important for a franchise that lost an entire generation with the FFXIII trilogy.

pezzie

Good will doesn't mean much in the casual market. FFXIV is doing great thanks to the subscription model, but raw numbers aren't that big.

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/...cond-most-popular-subscriptionbased-mmo-33713

Not saying it has 5 million concurrent subscribers, but 5 million subs is still 5 million copies of the game sold, on top of the sub money. It still sold a fair amount. And this article is from 2 years ago, just the most recent numbers I can find.

Reset

Ah good news. Just improve on the existing battle system for the next title, the era for AAA turn based rpgs on home console is over. The people have spoken, they want action rpgs on home consoles. :]

BadWolf

Noctis is one of the better protagonists as well. I really enjoyed his character and he was way different than I thought he would be. I appreciated that he was pretty humorous when compared to some of the previous protagonists.

Agreed. Someone made a thread about FF's best protag some time after the game released and Noct just kept coming to mind, and I was glad to see many others thought the same in that thread.

He's great on his own and if you throw his bros into the mix then they make quite the whole.

Socivol

Agreed. Someone made a thread about FF's best protag some time after the game released and Noct just kept coming to mind, and I was glad to see many others thought the same in that thread.

He's great on his own and if you throw his bros into the mix then they make quite the whole.

I thought he would be more akin to Squall from how he looked, but he was really easy to relate to. He was so unsure of himself like many people his age are. The game's story has a lot of issue but Noctis has some of the best characterization of all of the protagonists and his journey is actually logical. I'm really hoping that with the added cutscenes they can make some of the other characters just as good.

kswiston

I mean, I understand that it's dropped in larger percentages than most series, but isn't it still currently basically the best selling PS4 game in Japan?

I get that the brand is weaker than it's ever been there, but at some point where people keep pointing this out, you gotta go "yo this thing is still king shit on this system".

It's all relative. Not counting budget releases, mainline Final Fantasy ended the PS2 and PS3 generations selling about double the next biggest game that wasnt Dragon Quest in Japan.

Most of the comparisons are messed up at the moment, since the biggest PS4 games tended to be on PS3 as well, but I doubt that Final fantasy XV ends the generation in Japan with the same margin.

It's all relative. Not counting budget releases, mainline Final Fantasy ended the PS2 and PS3 generations selling about double the next biggest game that wasnt Dragon Quest in Japan.

Most of the comparisons are messed up at the moment, since the biggest PS4 games tended to be on PS3 as well, but I doubt that Final fantasy XV ends the generation in Japan with the same margin.

I think what going to be interesting is FFVIIR and FFXVI in Japan .
If FFVIIR does better than FFXV there always going to be that it has nostalgia going for it .
Of course if it does less it will be because it in parts .

So it won't be until FFXVI if we see if the brand drop that bad in Japan or people just did not like FFXV that much over there.

ccbfan

Comparing past sales for home console games is foolish and really doesn't say anything about the brand.

The bigger issue is home consoles. Almost everything for home consoles crashed in Japan the last 5 years.

Ah good news. Just improve on the existing battle system for the next title, the era for AAA turn based rpgs on home console is over. The people have spoken, they want action rpgs on home consoles. :]

Can you prove if FFXV was a turn based RPG it wouldnt get similiar sales?

Pejo

Gold Member
Glad it did better than XIII at any rate. The Word of Mouth seems to be pretty positive on the game, and I loved it personally, even the Sonic Unleashed part.

I think the important thing as a Final Fantasy fan, is that the series is continuing to do well, even after an awful dev cycle, switching directors, and releasing an unfinished game (with tons of potential). It's also good that people voted with their wallets that we like exploration over corridors.

Full disclosure: I really hated XIII.

Comparing past sales for home console games is foolish and really doesn't say anything about the brand.

The bigger issue is home consoles. Almost everything for home consoles crashed in Japan the last 5 years.

No you don't drop 900k in sales without there being brand trouble.
Consoles sales in Japan are not that good but PS4 numbers were not that far from PS3.
When the game came out , right now PS4 is out pacing PS3 in both hardware and software for the same time period in Japan .

I am sure it drop some numbers because of the lower user base but the brand or maybe just FFXV was not like over there.

All these sales have hyped me, is FF like witcher? Maybe I'll get it now.

Pretty different. But just about the only rpg comparable in scale and production values. FF XV does some things at least as good - visuals, OST, combat mechanics - but in general Wicther 3 is a much more consistent package with a better story. I would definitely recommend FFXV if you like rpgs - there aren't many big budget rpgs - but expect a very flawed package.

Mihos

Gold Member
I think what going to be interesting is FFVIIR and FFXVI in Japan .
If FFVIIR does better than FFXV there always going to be that it has nostalgia going for it .
Of course if it does less it will be because it in parts .

So it won't be until FFXVI if we see if the brand drop that bad in Japan or people just did not like FFXV that much over there.

Don't skip over FF12 remaster.... please don't delay it.....

Mcdohl

Glad it did better than XIII at any rate. The Word of Mouth seems to be pretty positive on the game, and I loved it personally, even the Sonic Unleashed part.

I think the important thing as a Final Fantasy fan, is that the series is continuing to do well, even after an awful dev cycle, switching directors, and releasing an unfinished game (with tons of potential). It's also good that people voted with their wallets that we like exploration over corridors.

True, but it's still annoying as a FF fan that they can't fully get their shit together on single player titles lately.

The talent is there. This time the only big miss for me was the storytelling. Not the story itself, mind you, just the way it was told and presented.

And well, they clearly ran out of dev time starting Chapter9 lol :(

Grats to SE and Tabata/Bus Div 2.

Well done and well deserved! Looking forward to all the updates they will apply to the game over the year. Flaws and all, I love FFXV.

Muffdraul

I never had any interest in The Witcher, WRPG style games simply don't do anything for me. They did 30+ years ago when I was into AD&D and video games like Tunnels of Doom, but I burned out. Since 1994 thanks to FFVI I've always been more a JRPG guy, but I slowly lost all of my enthusiasm for FF starting with FFX-2. FFXIII was the straw that broke the camel's back. I bought FFXV thinking it would probably be at least OK. Well, despite all of its flaws I thought it was a fuck of a lot better than OK. I played through the whole thing twice back to back, including almost all of the hunts and sidequests. Only thing I didn't do (yet) is the post-game content on my 2nd go. The game really had me in its grip. And I kept hearing "Witcher 3 is so much better than FFXV, it handles everything so much better, its side quests are so goddamn motherfucking fantastic, blah blah blah." So I got myself a copy of The Witcher 3, played it for about three hours, and will probably never touch it again. The world and characters couldn't be more bland and cliche, the mechanics are totally clunky... meh. So chalk me up as a bit of anecdotal evidence showing that liking one doesn't mean you'll like the other.

The more westernised or even just modern life approach has gone down well. I heard many say they're glad its changed.

I respect what SE have done. They've created a cool title with good appeal and style but I personally don't like everyday culture from real life in FF games like smart phones, fast food.

No you don't drop 900k in sales without there being brand trouble.
Consoles sales in Japan are not that good but PS4 numbers were not that far from PS3.
When the game came out , right now PS4 is out pacing PS3 in both hardware and software for the same time period in Japan .

I am sure it drop some numbers because of the lower user base but the brand or maybe just FFXV was not like over there.

Didn't we talk about this?

If you're interested, then you should go for it. Obviously, the people who like it are going to say to get it and the people who don't will say not to. The only way is to try it yourself. If you do end up deciding to play it, then I hope you enjoy it! :)

FF was dead leading all the way up to this point(according to this place(. Now it sold off its name.

This is so true lol
The denial even after positive news was hilarious. Glad we got NPD data is end that stuff.

You did well King.. now let's get you into dissidia and KH3. The FF franchise will see the dawn again for the 16 coming.

FFXIIIversus_Noctis.png

b03COXoH.jpeg

Noctis, saviour of the FF franchise ;___;

Just going through the first 4 pages of 10 million sales goal thread and people had considered the series losing all relevancy and on a decline.

Yet here we are today and the series was somehow always popular as ever, lol.

Mixture of being unable to see that FF13 does not dictate FF and the thirst for a next gen RPG like this.

Nice. I figured 6 years of Lightning would have soured and turned fans away from the series and Japan was one indication but the west seems to be making up for it.

Not just the West. Asia as well.

Permanently A

The sales are a good news because it means that XVI will now happen according to that 4chan leak. Its also a good news because it gives Square Enix the chance to make a modern Final Fantasy with an actual finished story this time around.

HeelPower

Glad it did better than XIII at any rate.

Its not better than XIII.Its equally bad in very different ways.

There are many ways a game can be terrible. XIII and XV both embody massive,massive flaws.

In some ways FFXV's latter half has all of XIII's deep flaws,but made even worse.

Next up Persona 5 doing record numbers. JRPG da new hotness!

It isn't just because us westerners are suckers for open world fetch quests, right? Right?

Top Bottom