• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2014 [Up3: All of Nintendo's 3DS million sellers]

Ridley327

Didn't think Driveclub would bomb.

I think DriveClub is pretty clear evidence of how word of mouth can have an impact on a game in a negative way. The overwhelming majority of the conversation about the game was how it wasn't working, and that tends to stick.

Jesus.

It just didn't have the legs of Bayonetta this month.

CosmicQueso, I just want you to know I appreciate what you did there.

I don't think that DriveClub had a shot with the anticipation of a PS+ version. I was looking forward to this game but I didn't buy it for a long time hoping to see the free version.

SO probably did really well for a single platform, new IP. I bet MS is pretty happy with it's performance.

Sony seems to be conceding November and possibly December. I think MS has an amazing line up to take the holiday in the US.

krioto

If Sony were smart, they would replace Evo Studios with Playground Games.
(if they even need a second racing studio besides Polyphony.)

if you could just pack away the raging hard-on you have for closing Evolution, you'd realise that the the game is being fixed, online is stabilising, and the racing/driving/environments are excellent.

Toki767

So if Smash is at 1.2 million and it sold 700K for the September NPD, that puts it at 500Kish for October? That really doesn't sound good for the rest of the games on the list.

Pranay

Is the 28% decline in physical software sales being offset by digital uptake??
Or has there been a decrease in "output" for consumers to buy?
Has this sort of decline been seen at other Gen transitions? Eg: Gen 6> Gen 7?

Last year october releses had several sellers
1. Grand Theft Auto V (360, PS3) - 1.1 million
2. Pokémon X (3DS) - 1.7 million combined with Pokemon Y
3. Pokémon Y (3DS) - See Pokemon X
4. Battlefield 4 (360, PS3, PC)

B.O.O.M

68k wiiu? ugh isn't that bad?

DC bomba

SO might be bomba? Not really? Guess it depends on what they expected it to do

Kind of boring without numbers

EGM1966

Motorstorm Apocalypse woes couldn't be attributed to Evilution though. Drive Club disastrous launch is all their fault. Or Sony's if they cut the resources to such level that harmed the development of the game.
It's pretty well confirmed issues are game code based: I.e. The fault lies with Evolution. Sony delayed game and allowed more time to develop it so struggling to fathom where you'd get the idea they cut resources.

USC-fan

Banned
It's funny looking at these charts....people make list wars over exclusives this holiday. I don't thinks one have charted this holiday...lol

DrkSage

Im very conflicted about if November NPD is going to be interesting at all. For November NPD I expect SO to not chart, MCC to be in the 2-4 chart position with smash bros next to it(either above or below MCC), and GTA V in the 1st position.

Edit: I also expect Pokemon to be there and LBP to be around 6-8 position so that's 2 exclusives for Nintendo, 1 for Microsoft and 1 for sony

SO is a great game, and we can all see in this thread the disappointment. Word of mouth is strong. Perfect stocking stuffer! Where's the save SO thread, dabgnummit? arghhhhh....

Wow

I caught up to the 5th page a minute ago and I just remembered Alien Isolation. Sega and Gearbox finished the brand for now. Goddamn Colonial Marines was super effective against sales.
I haven't bought TEW yet, I don't know what's wrong with me.
There is nothing wrong with you. The game had A LOT of performance issues at launch and it still does depending on the platform. Doesn't stop it from being interesting and worth playing.

Sean*O

Nah. November is in the bag for them with the crazy BF deals they are pull out and the price cut.

Really its just a question about how much MS win by. If they only edge out a win after the price slashing and bundles they have been doing its not a good look.

They need to win by a huge margin here. A few 100k.

Quoted for next month ;-)

PS4 Destiny bundle is not counted in these sales.
Second month in a row and I'm still surprised people don't get this yet.

Bundles aren't included in NPD. PS4 Destiny bundles, while most likely sold a lot and are still continuing to sell, won't show up in these sales results. So yes, you'll see the 360 or xbone chart higher.

Its also why SO didn't chart higher, I'm sure people bought the bundle, which yet again, won't show in the NPD.

I'm legit shook by TEW at #3. And I thought Xbox One had an actual shot at #1 in October with the $50 price cut. My world is upside down.

DriveClub is an amazing game, I just can't understand people saying its bad because the online is broken.

They have updated the game 5 (6?) times now to improve the situation. Its not like they aren't trying.

They shouldn't be having to update the game 5 or 6 times. It was a really poorly handled launch. They didn't even have the PS+ version to stimulate sales.

driver116

Im very conflicted about if November NPD is going to be interesting at all. For November NPD I expect SO to not chart, MCC to be in the 2-4 chart position with smash bros next to it(either above or below MCC), and GTA V in the 1st position.

Probably.

cafemomo

MotorStorm RC has been developed by 1 guy (j/k).
Not really something to brag about.

If Sony were smart, they would replace Evo Studios with Playground Games.
(if they even need a second racing studio besides Polyphony.)

If Sony was smart, they'd bring back Liverpool.

shandy706

I'm legit surprised by the absence of Sunset... I know it's anecdotal but I had more people playing that game on my freinds list then destiny at it's peak.

I wonder how much digital is affecting the charts. I'm more interested in digital sales than I am in physical now. I wish we could see those details.

if you could just pack away the raging hard-on you have for closing Evolution, you'd realise that the the game is being fixed, online is stabilising, and the racing/driving/environments are excellent.
Oh, so they have fixed some of the issues with their ... what... 10th patch in the last 4 weeks? Nice job, Evo Studios!
If Sony was smart, they'd being back Liverpool.
Sony were smart by closing them. Liverpool's output was horrible.
(check how big the studio was and take a look at their output)

Last month Smash sold 705K, 570K of which were retail.
I think Nintendo's numbers are combined digital and retail, so it should be 500K second month (digital and retail). Which only somewhat helps with discerning the rest of the all-formats chart - if the split held then it would be around 400K retail I suppose.

Miles X

How exactly did you come up with that number?

Just a guess, NBA having 4 skus, all which could have done well, Smash doing 500k, Evil Within PS4 likely being the bulk of the sales, and the Sunset Overdrive bundles not counting.

Even 200k isn't half bad though.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So, it seems the first console we have reasonable estimates for is Wii U.

Smash Bros. 3DS at 1.2 millions in its first month (two days in September and 4 weeks in October)? Seems quite nice.

Top Bottom