• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2014 [Up3: All of Nintendo's 3DS million sellers]

Duxxy3

Im very conflicted about if November NPD is going to be interesting at all. For November NPD I expect SO to not chart, MCC to be in the 2-4 chart position with smash bros next to it(either above or below MCC), and GTA V in the 1st position.

You forgot aw.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
RIP Insomniac.

:(

I do wonder what happened there, they seemed to have such a fantastic partnership with Sony. Is owning the IP really that important?

Console demographics seemed to have changed this gen, however last gen the PS3 seemed the better choice for niche titles.

Boogz

Banned
Where is driveclub?

Didnt they said the servers crashed because of the unexpected amount of people who bought the game?

lulz

their servers weren't coded right for more than one client at a time. dont get the "lulz" part.

slapnuts

I think DriveClub is pretty clear evidence of how word of mouth can have an impact on a game in a negative way. The overwhelming majority of the conversation about the game was how it wasn't working, and that tends to stick.

Yeah things are a lot different these days with so many people connected to the net and social media outlets. Even 8 year old's have instant access to anything their heart desires in terms of info,etc at the hands of their smart phone, tablet, etc

Chobel

Just a guess, NBA having 4 skus, all which could have done well, Smash doing 500k, Evil Within PS4 likely being the bulk of the sales, and the Sunset Overdrive bundles not counting.

Even 200k isn't half bad though.

It sold less than Minecraft, so probably less than 200K.

JNA

Banned
Y'all sleeping on GTAV. It's going to move PS4s. November is up for grabs. It's not an MS lock.

Pretty much. That and Far Cry 4, Advanced Warfare and DA:I are also likely to sell more on PS4. People will overestimate Halo MCC pretty much.

KooopaKid

Banned
So if Smash is at 1.2 million and it sold 700K for the September NPD, that puts it at 500Kish for October? That really doesn't sound good for the rest of the games on the list.

Yep if Smash is at 500k this month, it's really a poor month and The Evil Within performance might not be this impressive relative to its budget and development time.

I wonder if Sunset Overdrive not charting (granted it was only a few days+bundles) will increase the chances of a PC port in 6-12 months ala Ryse and Dead Rising 3.

I think bundled SO sales should help it.

It's not going to be a major success, and that kind of sucks in my opinion, but hey, lots of things I like are not major success.

MormaPope

Banned
Tons of users lament over cross gen titles, but looking at every NPD this year the 360 does considerably well. Seems like current gen versions of titles do well at launch, while last gen consoles have legs afterwards.

Drive Club probably sold very well digitally, but I can't say it's not deserved if not. What a nightmare launch.

Also what happened to Hindle? Did he get overexcited in the Xbone sales thread yesterday?

Saty

Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Bomba
#Bombclub
Just Bomb 2015

Has the dancing genre met the fate of Guitar Hero and its ilk?

NateDrake

Yep if Smash is at 500k this month, it's really a poor month and The Evil Within performance might not be this impressive relative to its budget and development time.

Smash is less than 500k since we don't know the digital numbers for the month. If Smash sold 50k on the eShop, we now have TEW selling fewer than 450k combined for a #3 ranking.

test_account

XP-39C²
Will they survive MotorStorm Apocalypse AND Driveclub?
One was a bomba, the second one a bomba + broken.
What's next? The disc broken in two halves, when you open your sealed copy of their next game?
Yes, thats next. The unsealed copies will have a non-broken disc though. They didnt seal it to save some money on the plastic, making it more attractive to buy an unsealed copy =)

On a more serious note, we dont know how much those games cost to make compared to how much money they made.

KoopaTheCasual

It won't match the combined sales of CoD or ASS Creed, but as a single SKU, dawg, Smash is gonna be up there.
Then that means it doesn't take the top spot.

Even looking at individual SKUs, its still completely ridiculous. The 3DS has over 12 million units in the US alone. Smash did 1.2 million on that install base. The install base of the Wii U is a fraction of the 3DS is the states. Even in a nonsense world, where the attach rate is 100%, that gives the roof sales of Smash Wii U a cap at under 4 million sales. Each Call of Duty still breezes past 20 million units...

It is almost physically impossible for what you're suggesting to come true.

GamerJM

Banned
Pretty much. That and Far Cry 4, Advanced Warfare and DA:I are also likely to sell more on PS4. People will overestimate Halo MCC pretty much.

I don't think it's just MCC selling the One though, I think it's that pricecut. I think November is up for grabs overall but I'm leaning towards Xbox One selling better.

Trey

I think AW has a better shot at the top spot than GTAV. But it wouldn't be the first time I underestimated that series.

vpance

I do wonder what happened there, they seemed to have such a fantastic partnership with Sony. Is owning the IP really that important?

They are desperately trying to become self sufficient, and you can only do that by owning hit IP.

Colonial Marines really didn't help AI's cause, huh.

TEW had pretty good timing on its release and had decent advertising so I'm actually not that surprised it charted.

Raist

Banned
Just a guess, NBA having 4 skus, all which could have done well, Smash doing 500k, Evil Within PS4 likely being the bulk of the sales, and the Sunset Overdrive bundles not counting.

Even 200k isn't half bad though.

SoM did 350k last month. So I think it's unlikely SO could "easily do 250k+".

Top Bottom