• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD: Xbox One wins October NPD. Best Selling Console in US 4th Month In a Row

etta

my hard graphic balls
You just went full list wars, man. Never go full list wars.
I don't see you calling out mejin for listing games? You're not even gonna atempt to hide your agenda, huh?
If we are talking about USA forza is just as niche maybe more then some of those games.
So is most of those games on that list but Gears and Halo both IPs losing sales WW.
Point is a good game is a good game no matter when it comes out .
Both Sony and MS almost have the same amount of games this year it should not really matter when they come out .
Forza is more niche than TLG or GR2?
And Dead Rising has no appeal in the US?
What does Gears and Halo WW sales have to do with US mainstream appeal? You even said yourself it's about the US.

If we are talking about USA forza is just as niche maybe more then some of those games.
So is most of those games on that list but Gears and Halo both IPs losing sales WW.
Point is a good game is a good game no matter when it comes out .
Both Sony and MS almost have the same amount of games this year it should not really matter when they come out .

I disagree. I think it does matter, especially here in the States. I'd hazard a guess that as a platform holder such as Sony or even MS when the holidays roll around -when most of your consoles are sold and sought after here in the States- you wanna have a big 1st or 2nd party exclusive to show off the box.

And it's not like Sony hasn't aimed for that. They have for 3 consecutive years and have fallen short. With Horizon this year, with Uncharted last year and with The Order 1886 the year before that. We can also throw in InFamous SS and Driveclub which missed the launch of PS4 during holidays 2013.

Sure TLG is coming out but it isn't the tentpole game that it would had been had it come out in 2010 or 2011 or 2012 or all the other years it was in development hell.

Electret

Maybe we should stop comparing rotten fruit and just accept that this month Microsoft outsold Sony. Sony will likely one day outsell MS again. The cycle will repeat and there's no need to be upset.

That Sony have ~70 more exclusive titles is great! But right now those titles aren't selling consoles. Maybe next month they will!

Oi vey. My post has nothing to do with sales, and it's amusing you're trying to read irritation or anger from my post. Poor conduct, sir or madam.

BTW - I bought an XB1S a month ago, so why would I be upset? Being an owner of the system invested in their ecosystem, I want the platform to succeed and improve.

I don't see you calling out mejin for listing games? You're not even gonna atempt to hide your agenda, huh?

Forza is more niche than TLG or GR2?
And Dead Rising has no appeal in the US?
What does Gears and Halo WW sales have to do with US mainstream appeal? You even said yourself it's about the US.

List wars on a sales thread are as useful as furuncles on my ass. You of all people should be well aware that this only leads to derailed threads. My agenda is telling you that. Because no one else was bothered to take the EDIT low quality bait from mejin who's of course also to blame...

icespide

Banned
so much talk about who will win November NPD. It would probably be Nintendo if they could make enough of those fucking NES Classics

etta

my hard graphic balls
List wars on a sales thread are as useful as furuncles on my ass. You of all people should be well aware that this only leads to derailed threads. My agenda is telling you that. Because no one else was bothered to take the bait.
So instead of holding the primary offender responsible, you pin it on whoever responds?
Me of all people? Go find the post of mine where I derailed a sales thread with list wars, or apologize for your poor effort at an insult.

What a joke.

allan-bh

Microsoft made an excellent Slim model, if wasn't PS4 Pro the holidays would be dominated for Xbox One.

In the other hand PS4 Slim is very uninspired, looks just a cheap piece of hardware.

icespide

Banned
So instead of holding the primary offender responsible, you pin it on whoever responds?
Me of all people? Go find the post of mine where I derailed a sales thread with list wars, or apologize for your poor effort at an insult.

What a joke.

he's not saying you derail threads he's saying you're in sales threads enough that you should know better. christ, etta relax

I disagree. I think it does matter, especially here in the States. I'd hazard a guess that as a platform holder such as Sony or even MS when the holidays roll around -when most of your consoles are sold and sought after here in the States- you wanna have a big 1st or 2nd party exclusive to show off the box.

And it's not like Sony hasn't aimed for that. They have for 3 consecutive years and have fallen short. With Horizon this year, with Uncharted last year and with The Order 1886 the year before that. We can also throw in InFamous SS and Driveclub which missed the launch of PS4 during holidays 2013.

Sure TLG is coming out but it isn't the tentpole game that it would had been had it come out in 2010 or 2011 or 2012 or all the other years it was in development hell.

First party games don't really matter as much during the holidays .
Even more so if it is not one of your big IPs and have to go vs 3rd party .
During the holidays price is the most important factor .

Well, consider what happened last year. Sony sold a massive amount of PS4s last holiday without a big exclusive. Is it nice to have a title ready for the holidays? Yeah. Does it really matter if you have one for the holidays? No. Third party sell far more consoles than anything Sony and MS can produce from their internal studios.

Even if X1 doesn't manage to come out on top in November NPDs, I think it's likely that they can pick it up and continue to take every month going forward if marketing hammers on its unique value proposition as inexpensive UHD player/game console combo-unit and maintain retailer promos, particularly at those that sell 4K TVs...something that will become mainstream throughout the rest of the generation.

Even if X1 doesn't manage to come out on top in November NPDs, I think it's likely that they can pick it up and continue to take every month going forward if marketing hammers on its unique value proposition as inexpensive UHD player/game console and maintain retailer promos, particularly at those that sell 4K TVs...something that will become mainstream throughout the rest of the generation.
That isn't happening.

Curufinwe

Microsoft made an excellent Slim model, if wasn't PS4 Pro the holidays would be dominated for Xbox One.

In the other hand PS4 Slim is very uninspired, looks just a cheap piece of hardware.

Yeah, "looks" drive console sales, not price and retailer
deals.

etta

my hard graphic balls
he's not saying you derail threads he's saying you're in sales threads enough that you should know better. christ, etta relax
Why, I am barely in sales threads, I am not an avid SalesGAF participant. "Me of all people" doesn't apply in the slightest.

Oh and forgive my tension, I keep forgetting that Xbox people aren't treated with any additional dosage of suspicion and skepticism. It's just a product of my imagination and persecution complex.

ZehDon

Just caught this: well done for Micrsoft. I've been eyeing off an Xbox One S as a UHD Bluray Player, since Sony dropped the ball with the Pro. Just waiting for the Christmas bundles to start popping up here in AU before I jump in. Absolutely deserved - the S is a terrific value proposition.

Montresor

Yeah, "looks" drive console sales, not price and retailer
deals.

Maybe it's a little of everything? Personally, I've always thought every iteration of PS4 looks really ugly. The original Xbox One looked bad too. The Xbox One S being so physically attractive has to count for something though. PS4 will continue to sell well (as will PS4 Pro) but I'm continuously impressed every day when I see how compact, sleek, and good-looking the S is.

Maybe it's a little of everything? Personally, I've always thought every iteration of PS4 looks really ugly. The original Xbox One looked bad too. The Xbox One S being so physically attractive has to count for something though. PS4 will continue to sell well (as will PS4 Pro) but I'm continuously impressed every day when I see how compact, sleek, and good-looking the S is.

Look is subjective. The real issue for PS4 Slim is that it doesn't offer any new benefits for the existing user base and the PS4 Pro offers much more bang for the bucks. It's major asset is "price". And it will sell well, because of the price. Thing is, cost-conscious buyers don't care as much about things like "design" like others do.

labaronx

Gears won them the month right?

Seems obvious

Gears, bundles, aggressive pricing and bonuses, 3rd party bundles, and extremely aggressive advertising compared to their competition (i have a theory on this by the way but i want to avoid upsetting people in here)...

Essentially Microsoft is doing what sony did last year, and sony not so much

wachie

If Sony doesnt realize it now then they're dumb, the UHD drive IS a selling point.

Not only that. But BF1 helped also. And offcourse good pricing, good bundles and a good looking console wich also helps when people just want a 4k bluray device.

The BF1 deal was a clever one from MS. At least for Black Friday some retailers have those $249 ready to go, which at least in the US is more attractive than the Slims Uncharted 4 bundle. If Sony does the same as last year, they'll launch an additional CoD bundle at the end of November.

Pop

Gears, bundles, aggressive pricing and bonuses, 3rd party bundles, and extremely aggressive advertising compared to their competition (i have a theory on this by the way but i want to avoid upsetting people in here)...

Essentially Microsoft is doing what sony did last year, and sony not so much

Microsoft is desperate to win in the states. It's good pr.

Sony will most likely take the next two months though.

Kuni

Quite the run for MS! I was also one that thought it wouldn't do well with Scorpio around the corner but I forget how much of a bubble Gaf can be sometimes :D

When I were a younger lad I would've been on here too defending PS4 and trying to spin (young, dumb and too vested) but clearly I'm getting old. As soon as Spencer took over I knew MS would bounce back as he didn't seem like a disconnected weirdo and to be honest, I'm glad to see it. The console is sleek and at a great price (plus bundles) with a good list of exclusives. PS4 is also a still a great offering with great exclusives.

Everybody is winning, yay competition.

N. B. Although if you could make it in black MS that would be great. Thanks!

so much talk about who will win November NPD. It would probably be Nintendo if they could make enough of those fucking NES Classics
Imagine the reaction if the NES outsold the Xbone and the PS4 lol. Too bad Nintendo didn't think that many people would buy one and cut the launch stock off at the knees.

labaronx

Microsoft is desperate to win in the states. It's good pr.

Sony will most likely take the next two months though.

I wouldn't say desperate... but Microsoft wants more users and sony seems to be chasing revenue... which is understandable for both

Why, I am barely in sales threads, I am not an avid SalesGAF participant. "Me of all people" doesn't apply in the slightest.

Oh and forgive my tension, I keep forgetting that Xbox people aren't treated with any additional dosage of suspicion and skepticism. It's just a product of my imagination and persecution complex.

Xbox People...lmao! Oh man!

EmiPrime

One, 3/5 of those titles are super niche, and MLB is pretty much bought by baseball fans so there's no "mass appeal" in that sense.

And two, nice opinion. Here's mine, Xbox's holiday lineup with Recore, Forza Horizon 3, Gears of War 4, Dead Rising 4, Halo Wars 2, Cuphead, and Below (and Scalebound if it hits hits early 2017) is way better than any holiday season lineup XBO or PS4 have had till now.

How's them apples?

Cuphead is mid 2017 and Below got indefinitely delayed. Scalebound doesn't have a release date.

Congrats to MS this month again. Gears 4 was a worthy sequel and Forza Horizon 3 is the best racing game of this generation.

Theorry

The BF1 deal was a clever one from MS. At least for Black Friday some retailers have those $249 ready to go, which at least in the US is more attractive than the Slims Uncharted 4 bundle. If Sony does the same as last year, they'll launch an additional CoD bundle at the end of November.

Yeah and BF1 looks more intresting marketing wise also then for example COD or TF2 this year.

Humdinger

It'll be some drama, if MS outsells Sony in November. "Pro is bomba." I can hear it now.

Truth is, I wonder how well it will sell. I have a feeling it will only produce a modest uptick. I say this as a happy Pro owner.

That isn't happening.

Okay. Why?
Yeah I don't understand that. I often see people on this site undersell the importance of UHD players in the 4K market. This holiday 4K TV's are going to be the main attraction for several people and while 4K streaming is good, it just doesn't compare to physical 4K movies. So you have poeple buying awesome new 4K TV's, you have a new model Xbox One S with a built in UHD player that also happens to be able to play Forza Horizon 3, Gears 4, and other popular multiplat titles. I've already got an X1, just got a 4K Samsung and even I'm more interested in buying the S just for the UHD player.

BillyJack

Banned
One, 3/5 of those titles are super niche, and MLB is pretty much bought by baseball fans so there's no "mass appeal" in that sense.

And two, nice opinion. Here's mine, Xbox's holiday lineup with Recore, Forza Horizon 3, Gears of War 4, Dead Rising 4, Halo Wars 2, Cuphead, and Below (and Scalebound if it hits hits early 2017) is way better than any holiday season lineup XBO or PS4 have had till now.

How's them apples?

They definitely have a great lineup but its not amazing.
Recore was sooo bad. I don't know why you included that one.
The best game already came out that was FH3. DR4 is going to be mediocre as 3 was. Halo Wars 2 will be a throwaway. Cuphead will be AWESOME but its going to be something I finish in an evening. Ha Below aint coming out this holiday and Scalebound looks about as fun as watching my uncle slowly get high on paint fumes when he is painting our fence....Actually that is probably more fun than playing Scalebound.

Xbox deserves it though. The S is a dang sexy console.

labaronx

How's them apples?

Mlb 17 is niche but halo wars 2 and scalebound aren't?

Nevermind Nevermind

Javin98

Banned
Oh, look. List wars were going on!

Whether exclusives are good or suck are totally subjective to you, of course. The lack of JRPG's on XB1 is, indeed, concrete fact. However, the statement "the exclusives suck" will more often than not rile up fans and start a list war for no good reason where both sides find conditions to downplay the other. Let's not pretend like GAF isn't a ground for such drama.

I hate to say I told you say, dragonzdogma. But I bloody told you so. GAF is so easy to predict.

Welfare

Never play the dangerous game of list wars, people. Just admit each platform has great games you could only find on there and that one platforms titles might not appeal to you. There are plenty of games on both that can be considered niche so let's not even go there.

labaronx

Outside of the USA baseball is non existent.

Thats not true at all... sure its not as popular as soccer... but baseball is still fairly popular in asian and Hispanic markets, which is why ps2 and ps3 support for the show lasted as long as it did.

The show series may not be sold physically in a lot of these places but it available digitally in those same place with language support

Cipherr

Thats interesting. I haven't really followed the console market data at all since like.... they launched. But I was under the impression that the PS4 was.... well... PS2'ing this entire generation. Xbox has really come that far back to lead console sales in the US 4 months running?

Thats interesting. I haven't really followed the console market data at all since like.... they launched. But I was under the impression that the PS4 was.... well... PS2'ing this entire generation. Xbox has really come that far back to lead console sales in the US 4 months running?
The wins in the US for the last 4 months (and elsewhere for shorter periods) are a combination of Xbox rise and PS4 falloff. Sony's machine still leads by over a million units in the US, and by about double (25m) elsewhere.

The future is not known by any of us.

DBT85

PS4 is still PS2'ing. Well, it dropped below the PS2 last quarter IIRC, but will go back above in the next.

But yeah. MS have done sterling work to get the S into peoples hands. They've won 4 months on the bounce and with the deals they do for November and December might even make it 6. Though the amount they've closed the existing gap by is small in a WW context, its still happening in those markets. It could be all but wiped wiped out in the next 3 though. Nobody knows!

As others have mentioned. Sony seem quite content knowing they'll hit their WW targets for the year at the prices they want, so aren't pushing as much as they could.

A majority of PS4 sales this generation comes from countries that isn't US/UK/etc, eg. more competitive large console markets.

They are at PS2-level sales, but they're not having PS2-OGXbox level gaps of purchase intent between competing products at markets like Mexico, North America, Australia, UK, etc.

cakely

I award you a giant eye roll for this, etta.

Top Bottom