• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD: Xbox One wins October NPD. Best Selling Console in US 4th Month In a Row

blakep267

I wouldn't(OG models were going for significantly less than slim models last sale I looked at. Don't see why anyone would go for the more expensive choice in that situation), but I guess we'll never know for sure either way.
Those are older bundles and have been $250 for months now. Before the S and they weren't selling. This uptick only really started once the S was released. It's cheaper sure, but the bundles games are older and it's not shiny and new. Old games aren't that enticing. Which is why I think Sony made a misstep with the slim bundle and UC

I would be impressed if MS continued until December.

I can't see them losing here in the UK, there doesn't seem to be a lot of buzz for the Pro apart from enthusiasts. Would love to be proved wrong though.

Probably for the best but everything you buy will work on it so if you jump in now or soon you can always sell that Xbox towards the Scorpio.

Yeah, I'm considering getting an S. I do need a new laptop though and there's a bunch of games early next year that I really want so money for will be a bit tight. I'll probably be hold off on a new console until the fall and just get the PS4 versions of those games.

Mrbob

Some of the Black Friday XB1S deals look tempting. Thought about buying one to replace my current broken unit but at this point I'll just wait for Scorpio.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Bitch Pudding said:
So exisiting PS4 owners had basically no reason to buy the new one, unless their old console was about to crack down.
Slim was never meant to get people rebuying(outside of replacements of course) - it's an entry point to the mainstream price tiers (the 200$ range) which Sony/retailers have already hitting in Europe since its launch.
What exactly the US strategy is there, is unclear - but the hw was clearly built with margins to play with in mind, so they have the room to undercut.

labaronx

Probably for the best but everything you buy will work on it so if you jump in now or soon you can always sell that Xbox towards the Scorpio.

For how much though... if the xbox continues with its price cut trends the xbox1s will be $199 or maybe below by next fall... id doubt gamestop will be inclined to give anything substantial for 1

EGM1966

Pretty good. While I'd probably place PS4 to halt the streak in November I could see a surprise XB1 win driven at retail via very strong pricing/bundles.

It'll come down to whatever spike Pro really generates really.

I do wish people would dial back the hyperbole though (both sides). We're not talking any kind of amazing, astonishing, etc etc performance either way here. Modest would be more appropriate in context but the internet lives and dies by excessive language use.

Still decent run for MS vs Sonys longer run at top.

Trup1aya

Isn't Black Friday all about amazing deals / prices anyhow? Of course the undiscounted Pro will have a hard time that day, when the super-cost-conscious buyers wait hours in front of the stores to get their new super cheap consoles. I have no doubt that the winner of this very day will be decided between Slim and S, with S having the better chances.

For the rest of the holiday season, now that depends if Sony will be bothered to make a proper PS4 Pro bundle as well and if Slim and/or S will continue to be discounted to ~$250.

I think it depends on what Sony's goals are. The Pro, I believe, is intended to be their high margin/lower volume option- its a way to capitalize on the enthusiast end of the spectrum. The slim is designed to be their high volume/ low margin option. It exists purely for the mass market, and will always be attached to the most agressive deals.

Like I said before, I think most people who are willing to spend $400 on a console have already done so. The Pro value proposition is very similar to that of the PS4 when it originally launched- its great for the enthusiast. I can't imagine that many who were opposed to spending $400 on the most powerful console, 3 years ago, are suddenly for it now.

Admodieus

Hasn't XB1 won or been very close to winning the last two Novembers? I seem to remember that November and December are the only months they've historically won, mostly due to the insane bundling/deals for Black Friday.

Bsigg12

For how much though... if the xbox continues with its price cut trends the xbox1s will be $199 or maybe below by next fall... id doubt gamestop will be inclined to give anything substantial for 1

You could probably sell an S next year for $150. I wouldn't trade it in unless there was some killer deal, which I doubt we'll see.

labaronx

Hasn't XB1 won or been very close to winning the last two Novembers? I seem to remember that November and December are the only months they've historically won, mostly due to the insane bundling/deals for Black Friday.

Launch black friday i believe but i could be wrong

Justinh

Congrats to Xbox team.

November, I feel, is where the real test lies (nobody expects it to be on top again, right?).

Excellent performance. They can easily make it 5 months if they hit $199.99 (or less) on Black Friday.
That seems like it would make sense that there'd be a 200 XBOS without a game bundled, since I'm pretty sure I've seen leaked deals here for an S with games bundled. I might've been possible those were OG, though...

Either way, I don't think that would be enough to win Provember.

Congrats to the Phil and the boys and gals over at the Xbox team. It's a confluence of several factors that has kept this momentum sustained for the past 4 months.

Folks still think that Sony lacking a strong 1st party presence during the holidays is good and guess what? Nope.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

I can't see them losing here in the UK, there doesn't seem to be a lot of buzz for the Pro apart from enthusiasts. Would love to be proved wrong though.

I actually saw an advert for it today. Well...it was a portion of an Argos ad. That's the only reference to it I've seen outside of gaming media so far.

Geist-

Well, now the true test begins, will the XB1 S ever win another month from now on?

Tune in next month, on NPD!

:p

Good on them though
Considering deals have regularly come up as $200-$250 it's entirely possible. Afaik the Pro was always going to be more like an enthusiast model, especially considering the standard PS4 can play everything the pro can.

Could be wrong though, Pro could be a lot more popular that I expect.

I would actually be very surprised if PS4 lost November. A new console launch usually means lots of front-loaded sales, and I could see the pro's launch being solid at the very least. Perhaps Pro sales will taper off in December, and Xbox will be back on top, but I could see Sony' pulling out ahead until Scorpio launches.

Stop.
SMH...just no dude, cant even come close to KOF14 or STreet fighter V.

Joke post? Killer Instinct is easily as good as either of those games, and I'd say it's better than SFV due to the lack of characters and features in SF, even if the presentation and combat are a bit more quality in SF.

Humdinger

Not surprising, given that MS is bringing the games the past few months and Sony has delayed them all. Granted, the games are the same ones they get criticized for recycling over and over (Forza, Gears), but they put the butts in the seats. My butt will remain elsewhere for the forseeable future, though.

Sony is still outselling them 2:1 WW and holidays will be insane for PS Brand but i agree no company should get comfortable.
Why do people feel the need to constantly bring up the world in NPD threads? It should be pretty understood we are talking about the US here.

It's nice to see Microsoft take it to a complacent Sony. Competition is great for all of us.

Sigh. So spreading your 1st party games throughout the year and launching a new version of your console is called "complacent" now? With this level of thinking the U.S. election is starting to make sense.

Is MS selling the console at a loss? The prices discussed here sound really low for us Europeans. Making a slim version of your console and selling it dirt cheap is probably good for sales. At least it sounds a lot more reasonable than complacency.

leburn98

Sigh. So spreading your 1st party games throughout the year and launching a new version of your console is called "complacent" now? With this level of thinking the U.S. election is starting to make sense.

Is MS selling the console at a loss? The prices discussed here sound really low for us Europeans. Making a slim version of your console and selling it dirt cheap is probably good for sales. At least it sounds a lot more reasonable than complacency.

I'm not an American

How is releasing 3 entirely distinct new pieces of hardware in a 3 month window in any way complacent?

That's great, but as a PS4 owner, that doesn't concern me. The complacency has set in on the software side. Lack of meaningful exclusives this year, especially this holiday is a big concern for me. I've purchased a total of three exclusives this year in Uncharted 4, Ratchet and Clank and No Man Sky, the latter of which was a straight up mess. Quite frankly if it wasn't for the third party support, my PS4 would be in direct competition with my Wii U on which console could collect the most dust.

The constant delays also do not help. Gran Turismo, Gravity Rush 2, Horizon and The Last Guardian were all suppose to be released this year. Only TLG will release, but even that was delayed to December.

Much of the way Sony has been operating the last few years is obviously in direct relation to the fact that they are the market leader and therefore do not feel the need to compete and more importantly please the fanbase that made them what they are today.

It's alot of the little things too. Last gen Sony had to fight tooth and nail to get back into the race by releasing an insane amount of amazing exclusives and loading the PS Plus service with great games. That has changed completely this gen. Now it's Microsoft that is forced to win back customers which has led to the free backwards compatibility on Xbox, while Sony is charging for it. Features like external storage support for games and the ability to change your Gamertag, both of which fans have been asking for since the start of this generation, haven't come close to being realized on the PS4.

That is why I said Sony has become complacent. They are allowing Microsoft to inch their way closer by allowing them to continue to up the value of their console and ecosystem, without countering with an alternative of their own. As a fan of PlayStation, I like what Microsoft has been able to accomplish since their disastrous start. With any luck it will continue, with the hopes that it will knock Sony down a few pegs to force them to compete.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Why do people feel the need to constantly bring up the world in NPD threads? It should be pretty understood we are talking about the US here.

I also find it weird given Microsoft has shown they're more than happy to have a healthy business off the back of their traditional trinity of US/UK/AU. They matched Sony worldwide last gen off the back of basically those three with a sprinkling of Latin America. I doubt they're holding out hope of outselling Sony in the rest of the world.

I'm not an American

That's great, but as a PS4 owner, that doesn't concern me. The complacency has set in on the software side. Lack of meaningful exclusives this year, especially this holiday is a big concern for me. I've purchased a total of three exclusives this year in Uncharted 4, Ratchet and Clank and No Man Sky, the latter of which was a straight up mess. Quite frankly if it wasn't for the third party support, my PS4 would be in direct competition with my Wii U on which console could collect the most dust.

The constant delays also do not help. Gran Turismo, Gravity Rush 2, Horizon and The Last Guardian were all suppose to be released this year. Only TLG will release, but even that was delayed to December.

Much of the way Sony has been operating the last few years is obviously in direct relation to the fact that they are the market leader and therefore do not feel the need to compete and more importantly please the fanbase that made them what they are today.

It's alot of the little things too. Last gen Sony had to fight tooth and nail to get back into the race by releasing an insane amount of amazing exclusives and loading the PS Plus service with great games. That has changed completely this gen. Now it's Microsoft that is forced to win back customers which has led to the free backwards compatibility on Xbox, while Sony is charging for it. Features like external storage support for games and the ability to change your Gamertag, both of which fans have been asking for since the start of this generation, haven't come close to being realized on the PS4.

That is why I said Sony has become complacent. They are allowing Microsoft to inch their way closer by allowing them to continue to up the value of their console and ecosystem, without countering with an alternative of their own. As a fan of PlayStation, I like what Microsoft has been able to accomplish since their disastrous start. With any luck it will continue, with the hopes that it will knock Sony down a few pegs to force them to compete.

gmWJPFP.jpg

Your post couldn't have been more spot on. I have been saying it for months on here and every time the Sony people get up in arms and try to shoot me down.

Sony is back to being arrogant Sony of the early PS3 gen. Since they have launched they have not had a strong 1st party lineup of games during the holiday season. They have lacked far behind their competitors when it comes to 1st party offerings during the holidays and MS has given us amazing if nothing less than quality 1st/2nd party games during the holidays.

Sony has let the 3rd party publishers carry their box just like MS did last gen. I remember last gen when everyone was on the MS ballsack and enough shit couldn't be slung Sony's way, I remember being proud of the fact that as a one console owner, the PS3 had so much support from Sony. So many 1st party games, the quality, the quantity was so great.

I just don't think Sony WWS has the STAMINA, I doubt they have the STAMINA to crank all these 1st party titles at a decent pace. But we'll see. 2017 is shaping up quite nicely provided games don't slip into the next year which they usually do. Horizon 2016 to 2017, Uncharted from 2015 to 2016, The Order from 2014 to 2015.

I'm an American btw hence the STAMINA pun

mejin

Your post couldn't have been more spot on. I have been saying it for months on here and every time the Sony people get up in arms and try to shoot me down.

Sony is back to being arrogant Sony of the early PS3 gen. Since they have launched they have not had a strong 1st party lineup of games during the holiday season. They have lacked far behind their competitors when it comes to 1st party offerings during the holidays and MS has given us amazing if nothing less than quality 1st/2nd party games during the holidays.

Sony has let the 3rd party publishers carry their box just like MS did last gen. I remember last gen when everyone was on the MS ballsack and enough shit couldn't be slung Sony's way, I remember being proud of the fact that as a one console owner, the PS3 had so much support from Sony. So many 1st party games, the quality, the quantity was so great.

I just don't think Sony WWS has the STAMINA, I doubt they have the STAMINA to crank all these 1st party titles at a decent pace. But we'll see. 2017 is shaping up quite nicely provided games don't slip into the next year which they usually do. Horizon 2016 to 2017, Uncharted from 2015 to 2016, The Order from 2014 to 2015.

I'm an American btw hence the STAMINA pun

Not sure if serious...

Sony is publishing TLG, GR2, Ni-OH, Horizon and MLB The Show 17 in the next 4 months plus the several 3rd party titles (exclusive and console exclusive) that will come too.

This is way better than any holiday season lineup XBO or PS4 ever had till now. So, you guys that share this point of view about "pre-season doesn't matter" are lacking perspective IMO

icespide

Banned
Not sure if serious...

Sony is publishing TLG, GR2, Ni-OH, Horizon and MLB The Show 17 in the next 4 months plus the several 3rd party titles (exclusive and console exclusive) that will come too.

This is way better than any holiday season lineup XBO or PS4 ever had till now. So, you guys that share this point of view about "pre-season doesn't matter" are lacking perspective IMO

I don't get why people are so hung up on exclusives coming out during the holidays

With any luck it will continue, with the hopes that it will knock Sony down a few pegs to force them to compete.
I think this is a good example of why WW gets brought up. Anyone with even a basic grasp of what is occurring WW would know how inconsequential the stuff here is. MS should gets props for doing what they are doing but this doesn't indicate a turnaround remotely big enough to "force them to compete" lol. It is like some people lose sight of reality when MS gets these stretches of momentum.

Congrats to MS, seriously. I'm impressed. I imagine they're still probably getting outside WW 2:1 but they're staying in the fight.

pswii60

Oh I agree the Pro is priced right - I agree with that. What I'm saying is I believe the majority of buyers at this stage in a generation are more bothered about price - that's why they have waited this long. Some people are only prepared to pay a certain price.

Therefore they will get the cheapest option out there. Why buy the Pro now when it will be cheaper in the future? That's why I think the Pro will do well, but not brilliant. If they are prepared to pay the Pro price now why didn't they buy a PS4 at launch?
I think Sony is aiming Pro at existing owners as an upgrade.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Not sure if serious...

One, 3/5 of those titles are super niche, and MLB is pretty much bought by baseball fans so there's no "mass appeal" in that sense.

And two, nice opinion. Here's mine, Xbox's holiday lineup with Recore, Forza Horizon 3, Gears of War 4, Dead Rising 4, Halo Wars 2, Cuphead, and Below (and Scalebound if it hits hits early 2017) is way better than any holiday season lineup XBO or PS4 have had till now.

How's them apples?

Wil348

I think MS will take the holidays, they usually do. They've been going batshit insane with OG XB1 deals and there are some pretty good S deals as well. I'm not sure a more powerful PS4 priced at $400 without a game will outperform either of the $250 slim consoles (which both include a game at least).

One, 3/5 of those titles are super niche, and MLB is pretty much bought by baseball fans so there's no "mass appeal" in that sense.

And two, nice opinion. Here's mine, Xbox's holiday lineup with Recore, Forza Horizon 3, Gears of War 4, Dead Rising 4, Halo Wars 2, Cuphead, and Below (and Scalebound if it hits hits early 2017) is way better than any holiday season lineup XBO or PS4 have had till now.

How's them apples?

You just went full list wars, man. Never go full list wars.

How's them apples?

If we are talking about USA forza is just as niche maybe more then some of those games.
So is most of those games on that list but Gears and Halo both IPs losing sales WW.
Point is a good game is a good game no matter when it comes out .
Both Sony and MS almost have the same amount of games this year it should not really matter when they come out .

icespide

Banned
If we are talking about USA forza is just as niche maybe more then some of those games.
So is most of those games on that list but Gears and Halo both IPs losing sales WW.
Point is a good game is a good game no matter when it comes out .
Both Sony and MS almost have the same amount of games this year it should not really matter when they come out .

I agree with Spider-Man

Electret

How's them apples?

Them apples are rotten, because you're essentially arguing your opinion is invalid; here's mine, which is. That never makes for good argument. Moreover, at least three of your games could be reasonably considered 'niche', so this whole line of reasoning is just completely unproductive.

The few objective metrics we can look at in comparing first party output reveals a quite different picture: Sony's put out ~70 more exclusive titles than MS, and have significantly more titles - including new and AAA IP - announced for the future. You can argue the superiority of MS release schedules, sure. But MS' first party investment doesn't really stack up to Sony's, which is really bizarre considering their financial position and software resources.

Them apples are rotten, because you're essentially arguing your opinion is invalid; here's mine, which is. That never makes for good argument. Moreover, at least three of your games could be reasonably considered 'niche', so this whole line of reasoning is just completely unproductive.

The few objective metrics we can look at in comparing first party output reveals a quite different picture: Sony's put out ~70 more exclusive titles than MS, and have significantly more titles - including new and AAA IP - announced for the future. You can argue the superiority of MS release schedules, sure. But MS' first party investment doesn't really stack up to Sony's, which is really bizarre considering their financial position and software resources.

Maybe we should stop comparing rotten fruit and just accept that this month Microsoft outsold Sony. Sony will likely one day outsell MS again. The cycle will repeat and there's no need to be upset.

That Sony have ~70 more exclusive titles is great! But right now those titles aren't selling consoles. Maybe next month they will!

Top Bottom