• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

BluRayHiDef

Banned
You just register your card, enter the que, and when your turn comes, you pay the difference between the cards, send your card back and they send you the 3090. It is the FTW 3 Ultra as well.

I picked up a 2070S and entered myself to get the 3080 FTW3.

Unless you can grab another 3090 and flip this card for more

Sounds good. However, my Micro Center Warranty would become a dud. I bought it just in case I get stuck with the card.

pr0cs

Keep in mind I'm in the great white north so our audience is much smaller than the USA however one decent sized retailer here in Canada called Memory Express mentioned this to me this morning:
The list is over 4000
for the number of people waiting for 30X series cards.
They've never seen this demand for a GPU before.

Rbk_3

Sounds good. However, my Micro Center Warranty would become a dud. I bought it just in case I get stuck with the card.

How much was their warranty? Seems pointless with EVGA imo. Maybe with other brands, but if you have an issue with EVGA, they crossship you a new card so there is hardly any downtime. Their service is the best in the business. I would look into refunding that.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
How much was their warranty? Seems pointless with EVGA imo. Maybe with other brands, but if you have an issue with EVGA, they crossship you a new card so there is hardly any downtime. Their service is the best in the business. I would look into refunding that.
The Micro Center warranty allows me to trade the card in for store credit equal to what I paid for the card.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Probably rivatuner
I've already run the benchmarks of GTAV, Tomb Raider, and Mortal Kombat 11. I've also done a test run of Control and I'm currently running 3DMark. After I run rivatuner, as you have suggested, I'll unbox and install the RTX 3080 and run all of the aforementioned benchmarks and the test run of Control again.

Siri

Banned
Nvidia has publicly stated that demand will not be met in 2020 - so unless you’re very, very determined, it’ll be Spring of next year before you’ll get your hands on a 30xx series card.

Last edited:
I've already run the benchmarks of GTAV, Tomb Raider, and Mortal Kombat 11. I've also done a test run of Control and I'm currently running 3DMark. After I run rivatuner, as you have suggested, I'll unbox and install the RTX 3080 and run all of the aforementioned benchmarks and the test run of Control again.
Run the benchmark for Metro:Exodus maxed on 1080ti and then switch to the new card and see why it was worth the upgrade.

Iorv3th

I think you are bit of an outlier though. I'd have to drive to Savannah or Charleston to maybe find a store that would carry one. Chances are just so low for most people of an in-store pickup that an online order is really the only feasible way.

Yep I'd have to drive an hour and a half to have a chance, no card I just turn around and waste 3 hours on the road and gas.

Yep I'd have to drive an hour and a half to have a chance, no card I just turn around and waste 3 hours on the road and gas.
Yeah, it's the situation I'm in. I live within an hour drive of Savannah and 1.5 hour drive to Charleston and even if those stores were to have stock, they'd never be able to hold them long enough for me to get my daughter a sitter and then make my way over their. It's impossible for all intent and purpose.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
This card is gorgeous. I'm about to install it.

Y4ZSE6A.jpg

kKPGYkv.jpg

rkWpXbe.jpg

YOaffIt.jpg

046IQ0s.jpg

sfiPuMM.jpg

DeaDPo0L84

I have no clue what Nvidia is going to say about potentially doing an rma for my 3090. I'd be happy to find someone with a 3080 ftw3 ultra who actually wants a 3090 and do a trade plus some money make up some of the difference in cost.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I have no clue what Nvidia is going to say about potentially doing an rma for my 3090. I'd be happy to find someone with a 3080 ftw3 ultra who actually wants a 3090 and do a trade plus some money make up some of the difference in cost.
No. I don’t want your coil whine.

Doesn't coil whine go away after using it for awhile?
Coil whine is so hit and miss. Sometimes it'll go away, sometimes it won't. Sometimes it only happens when you have certain settings in game or only sometimes when it reaches a certain power threshold. It's all over the place. I've never had an issue with any card in regards to coil whine, but I also don't have the best hearing in the world either from working around and in huge electronic racks for 8+ years so I'm way less sensitive to that sort of thing anyways.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
The rumored 3070 16GB launch is in December. Big Navi could be either November or December, but I think AMD said before consoles, so perhaps around the time of the Zen 3 launch(November 5th). I'd prefer a new GPU before November 18th when Cyberpunk releases. I'm open to going with an AMD card, but it needs to have decent RT performance, so we need to see some results for PC RT benchmarks(i.e. Port Royal, Bright Memory Infinite, Boundary).

The rumored 3070 16GB launch is in December. Big Navi could be either November or December, but I think AMD said before consoles, so perhaps around the time of the Zen 3 launch(November 5th). I'd prefer a new GPU before November 18th when Cyberpunk releases. I'm open to going with an AMD card, but it needs to have decent RT performance, so we need to see some results for PC RT benchmarks(i.e. Port Royal, Bright Memory Infinite, Boundary).
I wanna say I'm open to AMD, but if I'm being honest with myself I know I'm not. I just want AMD to compete. They need to keep Nvidia on their toes. I'm more stuck in the Nvidia ecosystem than most as I have 2 g-sync monitors.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Shoot, maybe you guys were right all along. Getting the RTX 3080 was perhaps a blessing in disguise since the additional money that I would have spent on an RTX 3090 can be used to get a new CPU (and motherboard), which I appear to need.

I just ran the benchmark for GTAV at the same settings that I used when my 1080 Ti was installed (max settings at 4K); the performance is better...but it's not locked at 60 frames per second (it's in the 40s and 50s for the most part), which may be because my CPU is too slow to convey instructions and data to the card.

However, perhaps I'm drawing conclusions prematurely; I have to run other benchmarks and redo the test run of Control.

Shoot, maybe you guys were right all along. Getting the RTX 3080 was perhaps a blessing in disguise since the additional money that I would have spent on an RTX 3090 can be used to get a new CPU (and motherboard), which I appear to need.

I just ran the benchmark for GTAV at the same settings that I used when my 1080 Ti was installed (max settings at 4K); the performance is better...but it's not locked at 60 frames per second (it's in the 40s and 50s for the most part), which may be because my CPU is too slow to convey instructions and data to the card.

However, perhaps I'm drawing conclusions prematurely; I have to run other benchmarks and redo the test run of Control.

What are gpu and cpu utilization looking like? If cpu is up near 100% and gpu is nowhere close, then there's an obvious bottleneck.

cucuchu

For those with coil whine, what PSU are you using? Cheap or dieing PSU's can be large contributor to coil whine.

!**Make sure you have two seperate PSU connections connected to the GPU (or 12 pin adapter). Do NOT split a single connection from the PSU.**!

It's been installed for less than ten minutes; I've only installed the drivers. So, I can't say yet. what I can say is that this card is much bigger than my EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2.

zuqMp4a.jpg

beHvDUP.jpg
Hmm, Do you think I'll have room? I just lengthened the tubes when I cleaned the AIO but I honestly didn't think it'd be too much longer... I can't tell by your pic how much longer it is, but I have around an inch and a half of clearance till the tube in this pic.

CoJaCz4.jpg

The tube used to be resting right on the top edge of the gpu.

I could probably move the tube over a bit still since the new fittings can swivel easily.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Huh? I thought the point of your other thread was that you don't care if it bottlenecks because you're going to get a new CPU later anyway?

Or maybe I'm remembering that wrong.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Hmm, Do you think I'll have room? I just lengthened the tubes when I cleaned the AIO but I honestly didn't think it'd be too much longer... I can't tell by your pic how much longer it is, but I have around an inch and a half of clearance till the tube in this pic.

CoJaCz4.jpg

The tube used to be resting right on the top edge of the gpu.

I could probably move the tube over a bit still since the new fittings can swivel easily.

You appear to have enough space for the length of the card. However, I don't know how much space you have for the width.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Huh? I thought the point of your other thread was that you don't care if it bottlenecks because you're going to get a new CPU later anyway?

Or maybe I'm remembering that wrong.

I've always said that I wouldn't care about bottlenecks as long as I can hit 60 fps at 4K, since 4K is GPU dependent rather than CPU dependent. I'll look into overclocking my CPU to over 4GHz (it boosts to 4GHz automatically, but I need it to go higher).

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
For those with coil whine, what PSU are you using? Cheap or dieing PSU's can be large contributor to coil whine.

!**Make sure you have two seperate PSU connections connected to the GPU (or 12 pin adapter). Do NOT split a single connection from the PSU.**!
Brand new corsair rm750x gold

Here are some screen grabs with technical data in their upper left corners.

RTX 3080:

WdAqZEQ.jpg

I'm assuming the second % is your gpu utilization? (96% for the 3080) Doesn't look like a cpu bottleneck - cpu utilzation looks good, imo. I would expect the FPS to be higher, so maybe there's something else going on. Some setting that just cripples cards in general, or another bottleneck elsewhere in the system. Hard to say.

regawdless

Banned
Installed my 3080 Phoenix GS. 4 runs of Timespy, 70C max and runs very quiet.
Playing a bit with the OC, power limit raised to 109, +50 on the core clock, so far stable.

Getting 15.250 points so far. Boosts to 2040mhz.

Now let's see how far we can take this bad boi.

You appear to have enough space for the length of the card. However, I don't know how much space you have for the width.
Width is just fine. It's an NZXT H700. Plenty of room. Was only worried about length since the AIO is right there along with the tubes. Don't have anything slotted under the card either. Just M.2 drives but that won't be an issue.

Gonna be a long wait for the 20GB cards to drop.

Does anyone know if you can step up from an EVGA 3080 10GB to a 3080 20GB?

J3nga

Here are some screen grabs with technical data in their upper left corners.

RTX 3080:

WdAqZEQ.jpg

GTX 1080 Ti:

rbxQpWm.jpg
What kind of cpu you have? You should have a lot higher fps, like double or maybe even more @4k. I have way higher fps in RDR2 and that game runs like crap compared to gta 5.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I'm assuming the second % is your gpu utilization? (96% for the 3080) Doesn't look like a cpu bottleneck - cpu utilzation looks good, imo. I would expect the FPS to be higher, so maybe there's something else going on. Some setting that just cripples cards in general, or another bottleneck elsewhere in the system. Hard to say.
I literally have every setting enabled (except super sampling) and set to the max. Maybe it's the shadows setting?

J3nga

i7-5820k @ 4GHz via boost.
Maybe windows is on some power saving mode, that cpu shouldn't be such a bottleneck. Maybe check that, update bios, try other games.
Edit
Didn't know it's from '14 that only supports DDR3 ram, there's significant hardware age difference, could be the time for you to upgrade the whole platform.

Last edited:

Siri

Banned

I bought an entirely new computer halfway through the present life of my 2080Ti, and was astonished at the results - not only were my frames higher, but everything was just way smoother. A computer really is the sum of its parts.... memory, cpu, motherboard.... it all matters. You can only keep on buying new GPUs to a certain point, after which you’re wasting your money.

Top Bottom